PDA

View Full Version : Superbaby = COOL!

RooJay
06-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Gene mutation makes tot super strong
Thursday, June 24, 2004 Posted: 6:40 PM EDT (2240 GMT)

(AP) -- Somewhere in Germany is a baby Superman, born in Berlin with bulging arm and leg muscles. Not yet 5, he can hold seven-pound weights with arms extended, something many adults cannot do. He has muscles twice the size of other kids his age and half their body fat.

DNA testing showed why: The boy has a genetic mutation that boosts muscle growth.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/06/24/muscle.gene.ap/

Has anyone else heard about this? An actual, real-life, super-powered mutant baby born in the real world! I plan on shaving my head soon and going around collecting mutant babies to help fulfill my dream of mutants and humans coexisting peacefully. "To me, my superbabies! I'll say, and they'll all rally to my call. I suppose I'll have to take up ventriloquism to make up for my lack of actual telepathic abilities.

I hope when I have children that at least one of them has wings or shoots lasers from his eyes! Or at least one could have a healing factor so I can save on medical bills. ;)

On a slightly more serious note: is anyone else just a little bit freaked out that this "superman" was born in Germany of all places? What're the odds? :eek:

Rocketboy
06-28-2004, 11:06 PM
I mentioned it in this thread:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24272

And yeah, I did think it was kind of odd that he was born in Germany.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-29-2004, 10:50 PM
I read the article in the newspaper and saw the picture as well. If there's one mutation to be born with in life, this may be it. Although it did say, it might shorten his life span. Isn't this how the X-Men first started?

By the way, if you see some of the fraulines of Germany, you wouldn't be surprised that it happened there.

Dr Zoltar
06-30-2004, 05:11 PM
And yeah, I did think it was kind of odd that he was born in Germany.
I frequently read on-line "strange news" from the AP and such. Why is it that 9 times out of 10 the strange news reported is something that happened in Germany? There's always weird stories like "German police officer arrested for stealing women's underwear" and the like.

RooJay
06-30-2004, 06:55 PM
This same mutation has been achieved with lab mice at the Johns Hopkins University - the same myostatin blocking gene segment has been purposely and successfully inserted. It is reported that these mice actually live at least as long as non-mutated mice, and they actually seem to remain vital and healthy long past the age that normal mice would begin to succumb to the effects of the aging process. This could be really big.

I thought it was interesting that the mother and two of the child's uncles each are said to be rather muscular, that the mother possesses one mutated copy of the gene, and that no info on the father has been disclosed. Were I a conspiracist, might be inclined to think that there might be something interesting there. :Ponder: