PDA

View Full Version : Rattling in Vader FX Saber?

ZachAttack
06-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Hi everyone! I am usually a "lurker" in these forums, but i thought it was about time that I post! Anyway here is my problem. I recently received my Darth Vader FX lightsaber. I've just noticed that it sounds like something has "broken loose" inside the hilt. Example: When I shake the hilt up and down (when the saber is off), it sounds like a small piece of something is rattling around, and it is NOT the D-ring thingy on the shroud because I hold that piece in place while I shake it. It works fine but this noise kinda bothers me. Does anyone else have this problem? If you could "test' your Vader FX and get back to me I would appreciate it! :)

Tonysmo
06-29-2004, 12:25 AM
Welcome to the boards.. Dont lurk, contribute! We have all sorts of Crazy people in this place!

I have the Vader FX. It does not rattle. You may consider writing or calling whomever you got it from.

Besides your rattle issue, it is quite cool eh?

ZachAttack
06-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks! I ordered it from Wal-mart, so I just might call to get it exchanged. As for the saber itself, I think it is the coolest piece of Star Wars I have ever owned. I've caught the Master Replicas collecting bug, which is bad because I am a poor college student! Ha!

mini-rock
06-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks! I ordered it from Wal-mart, so I just might call to get it exchanged. As for the saber itself, I think it is the coolest piece of Star Wars I have ever owned. I've caught the Master Replicas collecting bug, which is bad because I am a poor college student! Ha!

Welcome to the forum. You've taken your first step into a larger prop collecting world. ;)

As for the Vader FX the three that I have (actually they are for my daughters) do not rattle so I would exchange the one you have. Not too sure what that could be rattling in your saber, but my girls are pretty brutal with their's with no damage from what I can see...or hear.

ZachAttack
06-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Well I did end up returning it to Wal-mart :( ... BUT I just ordered another online! :) Wow, mini-rock, thats a lot of sabers! I guess if there is nothing wrong with the ones you have (with all the use they go through) there must have been something wrong with mine. Oh well, in a few business days I will have another saber! Now I just have to save up for BOTH Luke Sabers and the Mace one... gotta stop buying food for a while... :D

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

mini-rock
07-01-2004, 07:17 PM
No problem Zach. :)

Let us know how the new one works out for ya.

ZachAttack
07-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Wow, where to start? Ok here I go... So I got my SECOND Vader FX Saber today. When I opened the saber I noticed three things:

1. The D-ring on the shroud was discolored and all corroded looking
2. There was a scratch on the plastic activator box
3. There is a black "line" on the inside of the blade, and looks like whatever is inside the tube may be slightly ripped.

It still works, but these "flaws" (especially the last two) really detracted from the piece.

So I E-mailed Master Replicas and within an hour they has a resolution for me:
I am supposed to mail the battery compartment and the end cap of the saber to Master Replicas with the shipping label they have provided for me, AND THEY ARE GOING TO SEND ME A NEW ONE! Here is the thing that really got me. When I called to see what I am supposed to do with the old saber, they told me to KEEP IT. So now I will have two lightsabers for the price of one. Only one will work at a time though (because I only have one battery pack).

Let me say, through this whole experience I have been REALLY impressed with Master Replica's customer service (so far...). They had a reolution to my problem within an hour, and payed for all of the shipping costs, etc.

So now I have a Vader FX saber, it doesn't work because I sent in my battery pack and endcap today, and I am anxiously awaiting my new saber!

I'll post more about the customer service as it happens!

JediTricks
07-03-2004, 12:12 AM
I picked up my Vader FX today for a moment and when I went to put it down, I noticed it was making a very small sound as if something were loose. Upon inspection, what I found was that the D-ring was making a little noise, so I held it and moved the saber again, the switch was making a tiny sound too, so I held that and moved the saber yet again, still another noise. After listening as closely as I could to the noise it made while I moved it, I deduced that this was the MOTION SENSOR!!! The motion sensor in Furbies, Furby Yoda, Furby Yoda's lightsaber, and other motion-based toys make the same sound, it is the sound of the sensor hitting the housing while swinging, it's very specific about when it hits and how it rebounds and I bet it's totally normal.

Sorry I didn't notice it sooner Zach, might have saved you all this fuss.

ZachAttack
07-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Ahhhhhhhh! Of course! I don't know why that never crossed my mind! It's okay, because now I get to deal with Master Replicas customer service. I've heard some VERY different (both good and bad) things about Master Replica's service and now I can judge first hand! Thanks though JediTricks, I really appreciate it!!!

jimmy_obrien
07-08-2004, 02:53 PM
I have that rattiling in mine and it IS the motion sensor cuse i opened by fx vader up bout 4 months back to find out LOL.

However i wish i made the sabe fortunate mistake you did and actually contacted mr with my original assumption of it being a fault cuse then id have 2 vader fx instead of 1 lol

mini-rock
07-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Wierd. Perhaps mine are the ones that are broken. ;) :)

JediTricks
07-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Zach, best of luck no matter what. IMO, every SW collector should have 1 of these. :D

m-r (remember when I would just call mini-rock "MR"? Dang Master Replicas for making it complicated ;)), how well do the motion sensors on yours work? I have heard varying results and mine is a little dicey, perhaps the ones where you can't hear the sensors work better or something.

mini-rock
07-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Yeah, but we all know who the real "MR" is...right? ;) :D

I had gotten a bunch when FAO had their huge sale and none had any kind of rattling. The sensors seem to work fine also, not over or under sensitive. It'll be interesting to see (hear) how the new releases compare though.

ZachAttack
07-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Well I called Master Replicas, they got my battery pack and endcap from my lightsaber, and are sending my new one out next week.

This is pretty interesting how they work this. When I called Master Replicas to confirm that they had received my battery pack, I asked them (just to make sure) if the new saber they were sending me was going to be a refurbished one, if I had to pay for it, or if I had to send my old one back. This is what they said: "We will be sending you a completely new saber, as for the old one, do whatever you want with it because it is worthless without its battery pack(*because I had to mail it to them*)." This makes me wonder. Did we all pay $120.00 for a battery back and $10.00 for a lightsaber with a white tube? :confused:

Anyway so now I am going to have two lightsabers and one battery pack between the two of them. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

**On the same note. I know there have been some negative experiences with Master Replicas' Customer Service. I'm not here to debate the quality of their service, but what I do want to say is that so far my experience has been excellent. They have been kind, helpful, and EXTREMELY quick to respond. I really like that.

As for everyone who has responded to my forum, I really appreciate it. I'll keep you guys updated when I get my new saber... now I just need to save some cash for the Mace, Luke, and Luke (ROTJ) sabers :D

jimmy_obrien
07-11-2004, 05:50 PM
I think that the rotj luke fx and the hilt itself are either out of stock or out of production I THINK NOW im not sure, dying to get my luke esb and mace fx saber thou. :)

ZachAttack
07-11-2004, 09:24 PM
They have the Luke (ROTJ) at Wal-mart.com. I am saving up for that bad boy to hold me over until the Mace and Luke (ANH/ESB) come out!

JediTricks
07-12-2004, 01:23 AM
There ya go MR... er, M-R. ;) Sounds like your batch is working better than mine and some of the others here, perhaps our troubles are as simple as that little ticking rattle sound in the sensor being a slight miscalibration or some such issue.

Zach, cool beans on getting a brand new one. I suspect these things cost the company about $25-$40 each, but that's their bulk cost and comes before they make profit or their retail partners buy it at discount or share profit. So once they factor in the cost of paying for it to ship back to them, determine the damage and store the broken unit, and then pay to have it refurbished, they could end up seeing a loss there no matter what - thus, it's probably cheaper to simply have you prove that you can't resell it and keep the expensive-to-deal-with parts. I think the bulk of the technology is in the saber and tube, the battery pack even with the speaker inside seems relatively cheap to produce.

It looks like I'll be getting the ESB Luke FX saber for my birthday next month, so that'll be awesome.

I love the Luke ROTJ saber prop, it's my favorite saber in the films, but I passed up the FX version because it was EL instead of LEDs. I don't regret this (*much ;)) and would DEFINITELY buy an LED version if they produced it.

ZachAttack
07-12-2004, 09:06 AM
I know what you mean about the Luke ROTJ saber. I MAY just hold off (and save my money) until this new batch of sabers come out. I knew from the start that I wanted the Mace saber but everytime I visit the Master Replicas site the Luke ESB saber keeps whispering "buy me" in my ear, then in the background I can hear my bank account slowly sobbing. These FX sabers are like a drug. I can't seem to get enough!

jimmy_obrien
07-12-2004, 12:52 PM
I personally would buy the fx esb luke version it looks preety much the same as the anh/esb hilt just with more added features eg the blade the sounds and the light of course. Hell even the review on www.rebelscum.com (http://www.rebelscum.com) says that the new luke esb fx is just as good if not better than the vader fx. thank god that they have the new luke fx with the leds this time so we can see an activation cycle on par with the vader fx. The mace windu saber also has the new improved treatment i think with a proper start up and power down sequence on par with the vader fx.

I just put in my order last week for the windu and the new luke fx sabers so im still waiting on my shipping number and all that stuff. im on flight 4 so itll be around september b4 i even get the sabers plus i live in ireland so it cud be even longer LOL once i get em i dont care ive paid alot of money just to get em. bought the vader fx and thw obiwan weathered and was REALLY pleased with those so lets hope MR does the new fx sabers justice.

JUST BUY EM MAN TAKE A RISK LOL
work overtime if you have too they look like a good buy in my opinion hell since i put my order in ive been working non stop in my partime job to get the money together to help heal my damaged realtionship with the credit card LOL

ZachAttack
08-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Sorry I have been absent for so long! So much has been going on with the end of the summer semester and all!

Anyway... update time.

I got my new (free) Vader saber from Master Replicas and it is GREAT! There are no problems and it is in excellent condition I am so impressed with Master Replicas!

Now I can't stop buying their stuff! I am in the process of getting all of the Mini-sabers and I still need to order the Mace and Luke FX.

"DID YOU HEAR THAT BANK ACCOUNT??? START CRYING :cry: !"

jimmy_obrien
08-07-2004, 07:32 PM
I just got the macke fx and luke esb fx the other day and i gotta say these are the best fx's TO DATE and thats a fact. the mace isnt as bad as initially tought and is very acceptable as both as accuractte(as they could get it cuse of batterys) and extremely bright but subtle cuse it mixes a bluey purple effect. the ladder lines are not as notceable as ppl keep saying they are and the sounds are very crisp.

The Luke esb FX is just mind boggiling I mean its very VERY accurate extremely bright is an understatement this thing is like a "nuke in your hand bright" the clash sounds are taken from esb and of course its just a really cool looking prop with a consistent blade colour.

just GET ONE as soon as you can you wont regret it. I personally cant wait to see the new fx line in the future. actually im dying to see if they will make the pulse rifle from aliens cuse i willbuy one of those immediately.

JediTricks
08-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Congrats on your replacement working out Zack, glad to hear it.

Jimmy, nice words about the FX, mine just arrived in the mail on Friday but I have to wait till the end of the month to enjoy it - I cannot wait!

JediTricks
08-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Woo! I got to open it last night on me birthday. It has the same faint "rattling" sound as the Vader one from the motion sensor moving around. Barely audible.

hango fett
09-27-2004, 08:20 PM
i just got my vader FX saber the other day from meijers for 88.88. i have the rattiling problem but other than that, it kicks some serious @$$!
Rock on, Vader!
HF