PDA

View Full Version : Should Hasbro continue to include pack-in figures with vehicles?

JediTricks
06-29-2004, 04:34 PM
In the last few years, a lot of the vehicles have had pack-in figures, but in the upcoming OTC line, the TIE Fighter comes with no figure at all even though its previous incarnation in the Saga line (as a KB exclusive) had a pack-in TIE Pilot figure -- the upside to this is that the OTC TIE Fighter is $10 cheaper than its Saga counterpart.

Another side to the issue is that more often than not the pack-in figures have been poorly received, such as the case with the recent TRU-excuslive Saga Red Leader X-wing; on the other hand, the Clone Wars Geonosian Fighter had a pack-in pilot figure that was generally well-received. There's also the issue of exclusivity, collectors who don't buy the vehicles won't be able to get figures such as the Geonosian pilot -- not to mention that this exclusivity also increases the chances of theft.

So the question is, should Hasbro continue to include pack-in figures with their vehicles? Do pack-in figures add enough value to mitigate the higher prices? Do these figures fill a need for characters and droids that might not be produced as single-carded versions?

El Chuxter
06-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Only if it's a new vehicle and a new figure. And bad kit-bash figures don't count.

Repaint TIE Fighter with TIE Pilot Variation #2,865? Bad.

Repaint A-Wing with new A-Wing Pilot? Pretty good.

Twin-Pod Cloud Car with Cloud Car Pilot? Good.

Z-95 Headhunter with Mara Jade (Pilot Gear)? Very good.

The Geonosian Fighter with Pilot was a bad idea, as all reference material indicates the pilots are permanently hardwired into the fighters. Hasbro was able to do this on the Power FX X-Wing and the Cruisemissile Trooper, so why not on the one occasion it would be correct? :confused:

Bobby Fett
06-29-2004, 05:19 PM
I vote no.

I would like the effort expended on pack-ins to be devoted to carded figures.

Droid
06-29-2004, 05:23 PM
No, if it wasn't for pack-in figures we might have a carded Red Leader that was respectable like Dutch Vander.

Kidhuman
06-29-2004, 06:07 PM
I voted no, but it really doesnt matter as I dont buy many vehicles anyway. If it is an all new version of a figure, then why not. But the last few figures have had terrible reviews, so thats why I voted no.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-29-2004, 06:20 PM
Duh! Of course! If Hasbro's going to have jacked up prices on the vehicles we may as well get an extra for it, even if it isn't as good as carded stuff.

sith_killer_99
06-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Well I vote to can the pack-in figures.

If it will cut the cost of the vehicles...absolutly!

I have given up on Hasbro doing a good pack-in figure, so I would prefer to go with the cheaper option. Also, that helps out the "one of every figure" loose collector, I mean who wants to shell out $30.00 for a vehicle they already have just to get a lame figure? :bored:

Battle Droid
06-29-2004, 07:01 PM
No, pack-in figures suck, and have limited articulation. I'd rather just see a figure made & carded for that certain vehicle.

JediTricks
06-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Man Can, look at the Saga vs OTC TIE Fighter, the OTC one has no figure and is $10 cheaper. Granted, the Saga one was an exclusive which probably jacked up the price, but still.... ("still what?!?" I don't know, leave me alone. ;))

I voted to dump the pack-ins, the figures aren't usually very good and they keep us from having good carded versions. If this was a droid issue, I might have taken a different POV, but then again maybe not.

mastermatt24
06-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Sure! pack-in figures are allways fun :crazed: , sometimes they even have more articulation, like the Tie Fighter Pilot. :D but I passed on red leaders X-wing. Does the driod even come out of it?

sith_killer_99
06-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Ah, we're better off with the new TIE Pilot anyway. :D Consider $30.00 for a TIE Fighter with a reworked POTF2 Pilot. Or, $20.00 for a TIE Fighter and $5.00 for a Saga TIE Pilot. Save $5.00 and get a better figure! :eek:

sbarkema
06-29-2004, 09:47 PM
I think it depends on what the vehicle and figure are. If it's a new vehicle and packing a figure with it makes sense (like a matching pilot), than fine. But if it's a 4th, or is it now 5th, version of an X-wing, why bother. The thing that should really be avoided is packing a new figure with an old vehicle.

vadersvette
06-29-2004, 10:11 PM
I voted sometimes. If the figure is new and never been made, then no. I never got Dak because I never found/wanted the snowspeeder. The Red Leader figure was horrible--to me it looked like the Y-Wing pilot's head on Luke X-Wing's body--it didn't even look like the actual guy. I think that if Hasbro offers the figure with a vehicle, they should also make it available (at one time or another) by itself.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Sure! pack-in figures are allways fun :crazed: , sometimes they even have more articulation, like the Tie Fighter Pilot. :D but I passed on red leaders X-wing. Does the driod even come out of it?

There's no droid in it. That's a cardboard insert. The socket is empty so you can put in any astromech droid you want. Hopefully Hasbro will give us a carded version of Red Leader's R5 unit.

I'm all for the included figures. I agree that it is not always done well, but it can be and has been done well in the past. If it comes down to more versions of X-Wing pilot Luke, or yet another TIE Pilot, I'd prefer to due without--so long as it keeps the price down. I'm sure many people would be buying carded TIE Fighter Pilots to put in their ships anyway.

Re-released vehicles should come with rereleased figures rather than new figures, so that we collectors who are completists don't feel compelled to buy something like the AT-ST w/speederbike just to get Paploo.

Repainted vehicles with repainted figures is acceptable. The Target A-Wing is one of my favorite recent vehicles.

New vehicles with new figures are very welcome. I'm very happy that the sandcrawler is coming with a droid and jawas. It's a nice bonus since I buy the vehicles anyway. Since most vehicles are exclusives these days, the price difference without the figures would be negligable. The sandcrawler would still cost about $50-$60 through Diamond.

I liked that Amidala's starship came with the R2 unit. I know a lot of people crabbed about this, but it was a pretty unessential character. I'm sure more people would have complained if the only way to get an X-Wing Luke Skywalker, would have been to have to buy a $50 ship.

On that note, vehicles like the skiff, would have benefitted from not having come with yet another Jedi Luke, but one of Jabba's skiff guards instead. Again, a non-essentail character for those passing on the vehicle, but a cool pack in for those of us buying it.

plasticfetish
06-30-2004, 03:01 AM
I voted, "Sometimes, but less of 'em"

In general, I've liked getting pack-in figures with my vehicles. There's been some that I really liked (Geo Pilot, A-Wing Pilot, Amidala's R2) and there's been some that I didn't like (Skiff Luke, Red Leader) and other that I couldn't care less about. I'm happy that these new OTC vehicles come without figures, and are cheaper. That's the way the vintage ones came -- that's what it's all about. For the Sandcrawler, the pack-ins are what will probably convince me to get it, (Jawas I don't need, but I want that droid.)

So... I dunno. "Sometimes, but less of 'em."
Mostly, just stick to droids and well made, unique pilots I suppose.

OC47150
06-30-2004, 07:29 AM
I voted yes, but with some hesitation.

I like pack-in figures, especially if they are new or resculpted figures. Hasbro got it right with last year's A-wing.

Hasbro should've packed some exclusive figures with the Imp shuttle two years ago. Great ship but for the price, there should've been a figure/figures with it.

If what we've read is true, I'm not going to run to Sam's and purchase the OTC Falcon because of the pack-in Han and Chewie figures.

dindae
06-30-2004, 07:53 AM
I voted for the figures. to me the more figures the better. Sure a lot of them haven't been worth the effort but that wasn't an option on the poll. I want good figure pack-ins and from the sounds of it most of you do too, but have been so soured by past experience that you would rather do without than have another figure you hated. I doubt however that the TIE dropped $10 just because it is without figure. I'm sure half of that is due to the fact that the mold has already been paid for from the previous release so on the books it is cheaper for Hasbro. So because I would like so many pilots I want pack ins but I want them to be good figures not like red leader.

stillakid
06-30-2004, 08:25 AM
I like the idea of getting a relevant figure with a vehicle, however in an attempt to be a completist, it forces one to re-purchase items (vehicles) that you already have. I'm not in favor of that. I'm sure from a marketing perspective it works well on many levels, but to have to essentially pay upwards of $30 bucks just to get one new figure doesn't make sense after a while.

Quite-Gone Jim
06-30-2004, 09:01 AM
I had to vote sometimes. I've given up on purchasing vehicles that don't have a figure (I just can't afford it). Even then, the figure needs to be good. I passed on the Red Leader X-wing, because it's x-wing luke's body, with generic x-wing pilot head (I actually think it's the same head that's on Dak). But I'll get the Sandcrawler because of the droid. If the figures are going to be cheap pieces of garbage, skip them.

JabbaGlob
06-30-2004, 12:10 PM
I voted yes, continue packing figures with vehicles.

As an adult collector I generally don't purchase vehicles for myself - I wait to receive them as Christmas or birthday gifts. I like seeing figures with the vehicles, whether they are repacks or repaints. I don't think I want all new wonderfully sculpted figures as pack-ins. It would be too tempting to buy them.

I would think that child collectors would be totally bummed if they just got a brand new Star Wars spaceship and there was no pilot included to fly it.

Bottom Line - pack-ins are good. They increase the immediate playability of the toy.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-30-2004, 01:05 PM
I doubt however that the TIE dropped $10 just because it is without figure. I'm sure half of that is due to the fact that the mold has already been paid for from the previous release so on the books it is cheaper for Hasbro.

I'm sure that aside from mold cost factors, the real reason the TIE Fighter dropped $10 in price was that it wasn't a KB exclusive.

That store has the screwiest pricing system I've ever seen. New toys are about $2-3 more expensive than, say TRU, but they don't sell because everyone buys them where they are cheaper. Then, four months later, once everyone has them, KB knocks the price down by 50%. No wonder their stores are closing left and right.

If the TIE Fighter had been an exclusive at TRU, or Target, with the pilot, it would have sold for $20-$25.

Same thing with Diamond exclusives. They are not distributing to competitive retailers, they are distributing to small, independant specialty stores like comic book stores, record stores, and places like Entertainment Earth, which all normally have to charge more because they can't order in tremendous bulk which they distribute to their hundreds of chain stores.

The pack-in figures have no bearing on the final price, it's all about whether they are exclusive or not.

Red Leader's X-Wing was $40 because TRU had to pay all of the costs. Target had to do the same for the Skiff, which is why it cost $30. The reason the OTC ships are so cheap is a combination of old reused molds, and the fact that these ships will be available in a number of outlets, so that the already low manufacturing costs are more widely distributed.

And personally, if the only way RA-7 would be made available to us is as a pack-in with the sandcrawler, I'd rather take him as a pack-in, than not at all.

dindae
06-30-2004, 01:21 PM
B'Omarr Monkey that is just more justification to me that the pack in being left out is not the reason the TIE dropped $10.

waboritas
06-30-2004, 05:00 PM
I think they should as long as they don't price gouge the price. We all know a vehicle like a TIE Fighter should be $20 with or without a figure (Genosian Fighter had one, Jedi Starfighters didn't (yes they released one with Obi piolet and it bombed)). If they make it an "exclusive" and charge $30 it is not going to sell. I take the risk of not getting them and wait for them to go on sale or clearance. Got 2 TIEs with pilot for $15 each when they were on sale at KB. I don't set my heart on anything and shop the sales and clearance. I find it is 50/50 on the risk. I get a lot of my stuff marked down or on clearance. Too much stuff to name and everyone knows what was and wasn't available on clearance that was an exclusive.

Not to get off the topic but a good example was last Friday in a Traget and picked up General Reiken for $4.99. Good deal considering it was $9.99. Was in another Target that night and they had it for $2.48. Went out to the car returned the one I bought 2 hours earlier and got it for $2.48. My point is I never would have paid $10 for a character that had no impact in the story. $2.50? Why not?

My bigger concern is where I store all this stuff. I keep telling my girl there is only one more movie and some day I'm going to come home and find all of the boxes floating in the wetlands behind the house............

JediTricks
06-30-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm pretty surprised by the responses so far, when I look at what collectors said about most of the pack-ins, it seems like everybody generally dislikes the bad figures and wishes they could get their hands on more copies of the good ones. The Red Leader X-wing is a joke, that figure is total crap. The OTC Vader's TIE could have had lots of different Vaders with cloth capes but went with the weak one from the Gunner's Station set (bendable knees in a vehicle that has a flat seat - brilliant). The B-wing came with a stupid repaint of a lame Ten Numb figure instead of a cool B-wing pilot. And every TIE comes with the same decade-old TIE pilot with the loose head and pointlessly-modified knees (again, flat seats in all these things). As much as I like droids, with most I would much rather be able to buy multiples at $5 than just 1 in a more expensive set. Vehicles used to sell the figures in the SW and GI Joe lines, now Hasbro acts like it's the other way around and generally the figures are inferior to carded versions - granted, Hasbro makes a quick buck by throwing in the cheap figure, but the long-term purchases of the carded figures are lessened.

Bacta Beast
06-30-2004, 10:11 PM
I wish the voting options would have included an option that said something like, I want the figures thrown in, but use better sculpts. Or something like that. I sure don't need anymore rebel pilots that don't have removeable helmets. Has anyone noticed that the original picture for the Target cups showed Luke with a removeable helmet, how hard would it have been to do that with the finished product?!

JediTricks
06-30-2004, 11:07 PM
The reason I didn't add that option is because I wanted to present voting options that were realistic to the way Hasbro does these things. It's unrealistic to put that option in, and it'd be the option almost EVERYBODY would vote for, so that would taint the results of the poll.

Kidhuman
06-30-2004, 11:18 PM
225 votes for "yes I like em" but mostly posts seem to say otherwise. :confused: :beard:

B'Omarr Monkey
07-01-2004, 01:46 AM
I'm in agreement that many of the pack-ins have been substandard for whatever reason (I too would have preferred a different B-Wing Pilot, and was disappointed that we got a rereleased one) but not all of them. I mentioned the Target A-Wing before; Paploo was nice, even though the vehicles were rereleases; Dack could have been better, but wasn't bad; the Geonosian pilot was a nice figure; Bespin guard from the carbon Freezing Chamber was nice; most of the beast sets had decent figures, etc.

Granted, there were also a bunch that could have been better. I'd still rather get a pack-in than nothing.

I'm also wondering how much of Hasbro's calculation takes into consideration us collectors vs kids playing with these, when including pack-ins. I doubt most kids ever see the exclusives like the skiff, or sandcrawler. Was Dack made without a removable helmet figuring that most collectors weren't going to take it out of the box anyway? I'm sure teh TIE Fighter pilots were picked because they already had that mold (The Saga version is too recent a mold), so why make new sculpts, especially if they are going to sit inside the ships, out of sight anyway.

As many of you know by now, I am an opener. I generally display (or did before I had preschoolers) my figures apart from their vehicles except for the speeder bike, and tauntaun type pairings. Before pack-ins, i went out and bought extra figures for the ships. I bought a second Boba Fett to put inside the Slave I, I bought X-Wing Lukes to put in my X-Wing and Snowspeeder, I bought a second Dash Rendar to put inside teh Outrider, even though it barely has a cockpit.

In a case like Red Leader, I'm torn, do I display him with my standing figures, or keep him in the ship? If he were carded, I could just buy a second one, but at the same time, the way carded characters are really hit or miss in terms of availability, I'm glad he comes with the vehicle.

OC47150
07-01-2004, 07:38 AM
Isn't clearance great, Waboritas? I've had my eye on the deluxe sets for a while, too, and this past Saturday, my Target had them marked down to $2.48. Picked up extras of the Kamino confrontation (now can do a nice landing pad diorama) and an extra Jabba.

dindae
07-01-2004, 07:51 AM
In a case like Red Leader, I'm torn, do I display him with my standing figures, or keep him in the ship? If he were carded, I could just buy a second one, but at the same time, the way carded characters are really hit or miss in terms of availability, I'm glad he comes with the vehicle.

I really don't think he is worth displaying outside the ship. ;)

bigbarada
07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
I voted no. It's because of these pack-in figures that we still don't have an accurate A-Wing Pilot. Anybody remember the differences in sculpting between the Carbon-Freeze Chamber Pack-In Bespin Guard and the POTJ Carded Bespin Guard? That's the number one reason why we should never EVER get pack-in figures.

mastermatt24
07-01-2004, 02:17 PM
r. The thing that should really be avoided is packing a new figure with an old vehicle.
I think that is the only way hasbro thinks it can sell some of its vehicles.. If we got another X-wing or whatever every year would you just buy it for the ship? But by putting a new fgure in with it its an enitre new vehicle so more people, not just the completists, will buy it.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Admitedly, if Hasbro put out the same X-Wing, with decals for the wings so that you could make them "Red 1 - Red whatever" I would pick several up, but in this case, I would also prefer if the pilots and droids came seperately, or as mail 2-packs.

Hellboy
07-01-2004, 06:37 PM
I voted no because the overall quality of the pack-in figures usually seems to be lacking. I'd rather the vehicle price be lower allowing me to pick up the figures individually if I find them to be up to my standards. Most of the pack-in's are just old figures or consist mostly of parts from previous molds anyway so if they stopped including them I wouldn't miss it.

JediTricks
07-01-2004, 07:20 PM
I mentioned the Target A-Wing before; Paploo was nice, even though the vehicles were rereleases; Dack could have been better, but wasn't bad; the Geonosian pilot was a nice figure; Bespin guard from the carbon Freezing Chamber was nice; most of the beast sets had decent figures, etc.The green A-wing figure was just another repaint from the Cinema Scene 3pack (though it was a quality repaint); Dack & Luke were cobbled together with mostly POTF2 parts, not that great; Bespin Guard was one of the worst pack-ins of all time (I'd nominate the scanning trooper as the other - hell, even Veers is better... barely); ANH and TPM Jabbas both had weak pack-ins - I dunno, they seem pretty poor to me.

Was Dack made without a removable helmet figuring that most collectors weren't going to take it out of the box anyway?Dack was made w/out a removable helmet because he's a retool of the POTF2 Luke pilot head (which you can also see reused in that same set with Luke which was reused in the Target cup set, in the Falcon carrying case with Wedge, and with the Red Leader x-wing set).

I dunno, I'm just really surprised at how overwhelming the votes are for keeping these considering the quality. I think I'm gonna list 'em all from the modern line (except for like "Invasion Force" and made-up stuff of that sort, deluxe-style figures, and video games):

Biker Scout (Imperial Speeder Bike, '96)
Luke Endor (Luke Speeder Bike, '97)
A-wing Pilot (A-wing, '97)
Leia Endor (Leia Speeder Bike, '97)
AT-AT Driver (Imperial AT-AT, '97)
General Veers (Imperial AT-AT, '97)
Wedge Antilles (Millennium Falcon carrying case, '97)
Sandtrooper (Dewback, '97)
Han Solo (ANH:SE Jabba the Hutt, '97)
Jawa (Ronto, '97)
Luke Hoth (Tauntaun, '97)
Han Hoth (Tauntaun, '98)
Luke Hoth (Wampa, '98)
Tusken Raider (Bantha, '98)
Luke Jedi (Rancor, '98)
Scanning Crewmember (Millennium Falcon carrying case, '98)
Battle Droid (STAP, '98)
Anakin Skywalker (Anakin's Podracer, '99)
Sebulba (Sebulba's Podracer, '99)
Red R2 unit aka R2-R9 (Royal Starship, '99)
Darth Maul (Sith Speeder, '99)
Qui-Gon (Opee, '99)
Jar Jar (Kaadu, '99)
Gungan Warrior (Fambaa, '99)
2-Headed Announcer aka Fode & Beed (Jabba the Hutt, '99)
Qui-Gon (Theed Hangar, '99)
break apart Battle Droid (Theed Hangar, '99)
Battle Droid (Theed Generator, 99)
rolled-up Droideka (R2-D2 carrying case, '99)
Qui-Gon (Eopie, '00)
Luke Jedi (Skiff, '00)
Y-Wing Pilot (Y-Wing, '00)
Bespin Security Guard (Carbon Freeze Chamber, '01)
Ten Numb (B-Wing, '01)
TIE Pilot (TIE Interceptor, '01)
Luke Pilot (Snowspeeder, '02)
Dack Ralter (Snowspeeder, '02)
TIE Pilot (TIE Bomber, '02)
Paploo (AT-ST w/ Speeder Bike, '02)
Luke Skywalker (Luke's Landspeeder, '02)
R2 Dagobah (Luke's X-Wing, '02)
Geonosian Pilot (Geonosian Fighter, '03)
A-Wing Pilot (Green A-Wing, '03)
TIE Pilot (TIE Fighter, '03)
Red Leader (Red Leader's X-Wing, '04)
Darth Vader (Vader's TIE, '04)