PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Vader's TIE box???

JediTricks
06-29-2004, 08:58 PM
I spotted Vader's TIE for the first time yesterday, and gave it a quick inspection. First impresison was that the box is way bigger than the original, that's just a waste of shelfspace. But then I looked down through the top of the big window and noticed there's a HUGE amount of empty space on either side of the main tray, it's just cardboard and the baggie holding the OTC catalog and the 2 missiles for the vehicle. Why design the cinematic tray this way and then waste at least 30% more space on nothingness? It looks sloppy and seems VERY unnecessary (and I don't buy the reasoning that it's for the Vader figure on the left side, that could have been in front of the ship just as easily). This is definitely one of the strangest boxes I've seen in the modern line.

sith_killer_99
06-29-2004, 09:38 PM
I agree, the box is a little big. I think they did it for artistic purposes, as well as practical purposes. They wanted the window to give a clear view of the entire ship, but they had to have enough cardboard around the window to keep the box somewhat stable, so it wouldn't damage too easily. I could be wrong, it's just a guess.

B'Omarr Monkey
06-30-2004, 12:38 AM
I haven't seen it yet. Is there any difference between this version and the POTF2 version?

sith_killer_99
06-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Slightly darker color and it has a few minor paint details added to the top hatch. No big.

Turbowars
06-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Just a waste of shelfspace?

They flew right off the shelves in Burbank. I don't think Hasbro will have a problem with selling these items. It looks really nice to me. With the over size box, you can see the sides of the wings which is nice touch. Way to go Hasbro!:)

Lazer Brain
06-30-2004, 03:01 PM
I SAW IT TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME TOO.... but it was good looking at least but i still past on it. is the darth vader new in any way??? if not what vader is in this box.
thanks
later

Grievous
06-30-2004, 06:11 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I think it's either the Vader from the Complete Galaxy dome or the Gunner Station TIE Fighter, but those might be the same anyway. It's the only Vader with articulated knees, but still, they should have at least changed the horrible head sculpt and maybe the torso/arms.

Ji'dai
06-30-2004, 09:24 PM
The larger box is probably a marketing trick to fool consumers into thinking they're getting a better value for the price. LEGO does this too; some sets released in the last few years are packed in oversized boxes that are too roomy for the number of pieces inside.

Val Da Car
06-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Hey, did anyone notice the Falcon shooting at Vader's tie in the cinematics around the ship?

JediTricks
06-30-2004, 11:55 PM
I think they did it for artistic purposes, as well as practical purposes. They wanted the window to give a clear view of the entire ship, but they had to have enough cardboard around the window to keep the box somewhat stable, so it wouldn't damage too easily. Why not just do side windows instead? Or at least fit the tray to match the interior of the box? Seems weird to me, like they weren't originally going for that size and changed their minds after the trays were already produced. And the wider the window, the more prone it is to damage.

VDC, I didn't notice the Falcon in there, good eyes! I found it hard to notice much of anything on these OTC trays for the vehicles though, they don't work for me as well as the POTJ and Saga trays.

Old Fossil
07-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Yeah, the box is awfully big... but I love it. I love the background, love the silver and black and red; and I've always liked pack-in figures shown off in their own little window.

I bought it, even though I already had a loose POTF2 version. This, along with Boba Fett's Slave I, will be the only ships I will ever buy and leave in the package!

plasticfetish
07-03-2004, 01:14 AM
I grabbed one of these yesterday. Agreed, the box is a bit big, but it's a nice looking thing all in all. I think you're right about side windows instead JT. Probably gonna end up giving this to the kid for X-mas anyway, so the box won't matter for long. ;)

Out of the 3 vehicles that I've seen now, I think the X-wing looks the best in this box style. Vader's fighter is second, but the TIE is a boring third with those wings blocking the inside box graphics. (Can't think how they could of done it otherwise though.)

JediTricks
07-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Twodot, why couldn't they have done the Vader figure in his own window just a few inches closer to the center of the box, then hacked off those wasted 4 or 5" of empty space on either side of the tray? I don't have an issue with the cinematic tray, my only issue is with the blank cardboard emptiness on either side of the tray.

PF, I think they should have done the TIE with the wings behind the tray and the graphics of the tray folding over the ends of the center pod arms and continuing the look of the wings as graphics instead. Would have shown off a lot more instead of looking all doofy with those 2 wings folded back behind the TIE pod covering up the cinematic tray like that.

plasticfetish
07-03-2004, 04:16 AM
Yeah... I thought about that, with the wings behind instead. But then I figured it'd look weird with only the pod sitting there surrounded by a space battle.

Either way, I'll probably end up buying it to open. Never did get one of the $30 KB ships. I'm amazed they haven't marked those down yet. (Oh, but wait... it's KB.)

Pulsar
07-03-2004, 02:58 PM
[...] and the baggie holding the OTC catalog and the 2 missiles for the vehicle [...] There is a catalog in the box? Does somebody has a scan of it?

AmanaMatt
07-03-2004, 08:06 PM
What is weird is that the Vader box is pretty huge, while the reg Tie Fighter is nicely compact - I believe this has a lot to do with the $10 difference. The Vader Tie at $30 is $5 too much, IMO. Great looking packaging, though.

Old Fossil
07-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Twodot, why couldn't they have done the Vader figure in his own window just a few inches closer to the center of the box, then hacked off those wasted 4 or 5" of empty space on either side of the tray? I don't have an issue with the cinematic tray, my only issue is with the blank cardboard emptiness on either side of the tray.

I hear you, JT. My rough measurements put about 4" between each wing and the box sides. That's 8" of dead space, total; a lot for a retail toy. I don't recall the TIE Bomber having that much. Your point about the Vader figure makes great sense,too, though moving his window towards the center front a couple of inches would have obscured the view of the ship somewhat.

All that being said, I still love the package design! :classic:

JediTricks
07-09-2004, 07:59 PM
I went to the store yesterday, looked at Vader's TIE box more carefully, this one had the tray go all the way to the sides, so I was probably mistaken before. But it's still dead empty space on the bottom except for that mini-catalog and instructions baggie.

Veers
07-09-2004, 09:04 PM
I like the box!