PDA

View Full Version : Beat the Geeks

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-18-2001, 10:47 PM
Anyone catch this show on Comedy Central?

Just for those who haven't watched, 2 civilian contestants take on 3 geeks who each have a specialty area of knowledge. 1 is the music geek, the other is a movie geek, while another is a TV geek. The contestant is asked a fairly easier question while the geek a much more difficult. It's basically a race to points. The 4th geek rotates. On yesterday's show they had, guess what, a Star Wars geek (some woman (or was she a man?) dressed up as young Anakin complete with braid).

Here's an example of a question that was asked to the contestant.

Host: "You have 15 seconds to name all the Star Wars characters you can."

The question asked to the expert.

Host: "You have 15 seconds to name all the actors who played Ewoks in ROTJ." (she named two, Warwick Davis and Jack Purvis). She eventually won the game though. :evil:

GNT
12-19-2001, 03:03 AM
Sounds very interesting but a woman dressed up as Anakin? Are you sure you weren't watching Jerry Springer? ;)

JediTricks
12-19-2001, 03:57 AM
I saw a couple preview eps, I found it to be really boring compared to old reruns of "Win Ben Stein's Money" and most eps of "Let's Bowl". I dunno, it just felt too pedestrian and the questions weren't much fun.

LTBasker
12-19-2001, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
Host: "You have 15 seconds to name all the actors who played Ewoks in ROTJ." (she named two, Warwick Davis and Jack Purvis). She eventually won the game though. :evil:

Warwick Davis: Wicket
Kenny Baker: Paploo
Jack Purvis: Teebo
Jane Busby: Chief Chirpa
Mike Edmonds: Logray
Malcolm Dixon: Ewok warrior
Mike Cottrell: Ewok warrior
Margo Apostacos: Ewok
Michele Gruska: Ewok
Ray Armstrong (II): Ewok
Eileen Baker (I): Ewok
Michael Henbury Ballan: Ewok
Bobby Bell (I): Ewok
Patty Bell (I): Ewok
Alan Bennett (II): Ewok
Sarah Bennett: Ewok
Pamela Betts: Ewok
Danny Blackner: Ewok
Linda Bowley: Ewok
Peter Burroughs: Ewok
Debbie Lee Carrington: Ewok
Maureen Charlton: Ewok
Willie Coppen: Ewok
Sadie Corre: Ewok (as Sadie Corrie)
Tony Cox: Ewok
John Cumming (I): Ewok
Jean D'Agostino: Ewok
Luis De Jesus: Ewok
Debbie Dixon: Ewok
Margarita Fernández (I): Ewok
Phil Fondacaro: Ewok
Sal Fondacaro: Ewok
Tony Friel: Ewok
Daniel Frishman: Ewok
John Ghavan: Ewok (as John Gayam)
Michael Gilden: Ewok
Paul Grant: Ewok
Lars Green (II): Ewok
Lydia Green: Ewok
Pam Grizz: Ewok
Andrew Herd: Ewok
J.J. Jackson (III): Ewok
Richard Jones (VII): Ewok
Trevor Jones (II): Ewok
Glynn Jones: Ewok
Karen Lay: Ewok
John Lummiss: Ewok
Nancy MacLean: Ewok
Peter Mandell: Ewok
Carole Morris: Ewok
Stacy Nicholls: Ewok
Chris Nunn: Ewok
Barbara O'Laughlin: Ewok
Brian Orenstein: Ewok
Harrell Parker Jr.: Ewok
John Pedrick: Ewok
April Perkins: Ewok
Ronnie Phillips (I): Ewok
Katie Purvis: Ewok
Carol Read: Ewok
Nicholas Read (I): Ewok
Diana Reynolds: Ewok
Daniel Rodgers: Ewok
Chris Romano (I): Ewok
Dean Shackelford: Ewok
Kiran Shah: Ewok
Felix Silla: Ewok
Linda Spriggs: Ewok
Gerald Staddon: Ewok
Josephine Staddon: Ewok
Kevin Thompson (II): Ewok
Kendra Wall: Ewok
Brian Wheeler: Ewok
Butch Wilhelm: Ewok

Any true SW geek would've at least gotten the clue to guess that Kenny Baker could've been an Ewok. :rolleyes:

Ok, I admit it, I pulled the list off of IMDb.com, but still get geek points for knowing the best place to for the list on the net! :D

Ok, heres a geek question: the same actor that plays Cliff the mail-man on Cheers, played who in Empire Strikes Back?

JediTricks
12-19-2001, 10:13 AM
Major Derlin, and I am pretty sure you're not allowed to use IMDB as a source while playing the gameshow. ;)

Obi-Don
12-20-2001, 10:26 AM
I wonder if they would let you use baseball bats to Beat the Geeks.:D

SWAFMAN
12-22-2001, 03:08 PM
...regardless of whether or not Beat the Geeks is better or worse than Ben Stein or Let's Bowl, I think Comedy Central deserves a major cheer for being (in my opinion) one of the best entertainment providers on television. I can't think of any other network that has had the testicular fortitiude to give so many fun shows a chance to sink or swim. I feel that The Daily Show is about the most witty program on the air, and I'll admit to enjoying having a couple margaritas and laughing my butt off watching South Park now and then. I also think the cartoons by Robert Smigel (sp?) on the show with all the animal puppets are some of the funniest things I've ever seen on commercial TV. Did anyone else catch the one about Oprah and her boyfriend Steadman (sp?)? At the end when he is on a boat with James Brolin, I thought that was the best satire in the last 5 years. It just cut right to the bone. I don't see any other networks taking the chances Comedy Central has in the last two years. As I said, whether the shows are ultimately successful or bombs, I respect them for taking risks. I've only seen Beat the Geeks once, and I thought it was an average-at-best execution of a really neat concept. But I'm willing to give it a chance, and I hope it comes around.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-22-2001, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
I wonder if they would let you use baseball bats to Beat the Geeks.:D

If anyone knew all of those people that played Ewoks that LT listed, off hand, then yes, they deserve to get beaten severly with a baseball bat. :dead:

JediTricks
12-23-2001, 07:41 AM
Yeah, they have taken a lot of risks compared to most other national cable networks (although I bet they're glad they cancelled "That's My Bush" right about now ;)), I definitely give them props for that.

Mike Troxell
12-23-2001, 08:36 AM
Comedy Central and I have a love/hate relationship. They put on good shows, but they also put on some real stinkers (Beat the Geeks, Battlebots, Frank Leaves For the Orient, Strip Mall, ad nauseum).

Battlebots is a show with no comedic or entertainment value whatsoever to me. Robots hit each other. Compared to Battlebots, I don't even mind watching "Professional" Wrestling. Seeing people hit each other is thirty times more fun than watching robots hit each other...and then, while Battlebots, Upright Citizens Brigade and Strangers With Candy were all running simultaneously, Comedy Central cancelled Strangers and UCB, two of the best CC shows of all time, in my opinion. Battlebots remains on the air.

Gold Bless You Comedy Central, and God Bless Us Everyone!

Obi-Don
12-24-2001, 07:52 AM
I give Comedy Central a thumbs up to. They do seem to take risks on some of thier shows they put on. I like that and some of the show are just down right funny. :D

I still would like to see the baseball bats used.:D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-30-2001, 01:17 AM
I give Comedy Central a thumbs up to. They do seem to take risks on some of thier shows they put on. I like that and some of the show are just down right funny.

I don't know if anyone watches Let's Bowl, but that is one humdinger of a show. It may be a little gaudy, a little tacky, and the grand prize might be a snowmobile manufactured in 1982, but it is pretty hilarious, especially this week's episode, the one taped in Fargo, N. D. :crazed:

JediTricks
12-31-2001, 08:24 AM
I really liked "Let's Bowl", I thought the cheesiness of it was half the fun... ok, 2/3rds. ;) I really liked it when some weeny bowler accidentally got a strike, or better yet, the "Polka Pin" or whatever the gimmick pin was. I think CC canned it already though - they've aired a TON of reruns of it and there haven't been that many eps.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-12-2002, 01:22 AM
For those who watch this show on Comedy Central (7:30 pm EST) it looks like they kicked off a new season this week. The unfortunate part is they canned the host J. Keith Straaten (I have no idea why, he was a good host). The new host looks kinda like Paul Ruebens and he is sort of nerdy (fit's right in). The geeks have new digs and new specialty guest geeks have been added. It's been kinda hard for me to watch because of my work schedule but I did manage to catch the tail end of Wednesday's show and I didn't like what I saw.

BTW, is Let's Bowl still on? They were advertising new episodes but I hadn't seen an episode in ages.

LTBasker
07-12-2002, 01:39 AM
Yeah, the kicked off Season 2 on Monday with all this week being SW Geek guest geek. The new host and SW geek are annoying, Jay Keith was great as a host but this new guy really over reacts to stuff. The SW Geek is also quite stuck-up, if you saw the Monday episode you'll know what I mean, he HAD to attempt show off at answering his questin which was "name this character" which was Wicket.
Instead of just saying a little tidbit, he tried showing off by trying to go through all the roles that Davis has played in SW and he ends up missing the name by messing up on the middle inital. :rolleyes:

They need the other SW Geek, she was great!

Beast
07-12-2002, 01:44 AM
They need me, that poor excuse for a Star Wars geek could only name 5 different species from the Star Wars movies. Good lord, I think most casual fans could do better then that. And he muttered "Wookiee" twice. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
07-12-2002, 01:53 AM
What a wretchedly horrible show. :mad:
I never really watched much until this week because I heard they were having Star Wars week - and I've never been more annoyed by a game show.
Here's a question: which Geek is the most irritating? We could argue for days, as they are all worthy of such a title . . . but I dislike the music geek the most.

Boy, you said it LBC - where did they dig up Pee Wee Herman?
More precisely, he reminds me of Paul Ruebens crossed with Josh Saviano. What a poor, poor host, I cringed every time he went to "the geek qualizer." And what the heck is he doing, saying "thanks Tiffany" in the way he does? The joke cracking is not funny to me, and I find no redeeming qualities about his performance. What is his last name? Blaine _____ ?
Nothing personal, I just don't like him in the context of the show. :)

Was Tiffany always the show cheerleader? Was she there when they had the other host?

I agree that the Star Wars Geek this week was annoying . . . incredibly annoying and I kept rooting against him.
I should very much like to see an episode with this other geek you mentioned, Basker. :)

Ironically, I'm rewatching the old episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm this week, and tonight I noticed the TV Geek, Paul Goebel doing a quick role in an episode from 2 years ago.
Glad I can throw that in, since I don't want my WHOLE post to be negative! :D

Beast
07-12-2002, 01:58 AM
Yep Caesar, he really gives us real geeks a bad name. I cringe in horror at the commercials for that show. Where I believe the movie geek said, "I not only have every Star Wars figure, I sleep with them too." Ok, to much information there, chief. Another reason why Natalie Portman is afraid of Star Wars fans. Heck, I am pretty sure that alot of the actors that played the main charecters are. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-12-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

Was Tiffany always the show cheerleader? Was she there when they had the other host?

I agree that the Star Wars Geek this week was annoying . . . incredibly annoying and I kept rooting against him.
I should very much like to see an episode with this other geek you mentioned, Basker. :)

Yes, Tiffany has always been there, and while she was the "show cheerleader", Keith always just treated her like a co-host and not like he was trying to be Austin Powers.

The previous SW Geek was also on a Star Wars special that aired on the E! channel before and after E2 came out, it had interviews like with Sam Jackson and them and they had the SW Geek do a couple of six degrees of Star Wars characters things. They had her connected Jar-Jar to Lando without any Skywalkers, IIRC.

2-1B
07-12-2002, 02:23 AM
Gotcha!
I remember seeing her on that show. :) Kathy Pillsbury?
I have IMDb up right now, the host's name is Blaine Capatch.
Co-host Tiffany Bolton, married to Michael.

Oooh, they had a guest Sopranos Geek last year . . . I'll watch if they bring that one back this year. :)

btw just kidding about that michael bolton part

LTBasker
07-12-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Gotcha!
I remember seeing her on that show. :) Kathy Pillsbury?
I have IMDb up right now, the host's name is Blaine Capatch.
Co-host Tiffany Bolton, married to Michael.

Oooh, they had a guest Sopranos Geek last year . . . I'll watch if they bring that one back this year. :)

I think I remember hearing Kathy as the name of the SW Geek, can't remember correctly.

The Sopranos Geek was.... very weird. She always seemed like she was high or something, her eyes would look dialated and she wouldn't be able to just stand still. She also didn't seem to know all that much about The Sopranos, just one of those adverage viewer types who remembers certain things.

JediTricks
07-12-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
BTW, is Let's Bowl still on? They were advertising new episodes but I hadn't seen an episode in ages. There was a new ep 2 weeks ago, but none this week and none next. :( I really like this show, I hope Comedy Central can get this one back on the air.

Exhaust Port
07-12-2002, 11:03 PM
As annoying as the 3 standard geeks are they do know their stuff. Truly geeky. The "guest" geek is almost embarrassingly bad. In addition to the aweful SW geek, the Simpsons geek gives all Simpson fans a bad rap. They never seem to know enough to be considered a "geek" in my opionion.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-12-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
As annoying as the 3 standard geeks are they do know their stuff. Truly geeky. The "guest" geek is almost embarrassingly bad. In addition to the aweful SW geek, the Simpsons geek gives all Simpson fans a bad rap. They never seem to know enough to be considered a "geek" in my opionion.

I watched my first full episode today and I was a little bit disappointed.

First of all, yes the new host, Blaine, is very annoying. He just tries to say something funny after every answer and usually bombs. I can't stand the way he tries to deliver the jokes in an awful shrill nerdy manner. Why did they get rid of J. Keith?

I like how they utilize the Geeks during the opening round unlike last season.

The Star Wars geek didn't impress me. His question asked him to name the exact odds of navigating an asteroid field. A true geek would know that by heart. I might cut him some slack because that was a numbers question, but I won't until I see more than one episode. I did like his Yoda imitation though. Why did they get rid of the original SW geek? First of all, there are few female geeks and the ones that they did have sucked (the Micheal Jackson, Friends Geek).

And EP, don't knock the Simpson's Geek. He was pretty decent from what I can remember, he even knew the name Ned called his grill (Propane Elaine). C'mon now, give him some credit. Now the hip-hop geek, he sucks. He is a scrawny white kid that miserably fails at his impersonation of being black, plus I didn't see him get any of his questions right on the numerous $ of shows that he was on.

And all 3 geeks may be irritating Caesar, but they know their stuff. And they aren't afraid to show it. I laugh at some of the answers they pull-out of their anus. I guess when you are that smart you can be arrogant.

Exhaust Port
07-13-2002, 10:05 AM
I just remember that the Simpsons Geek was asked to name as many episode titles in 10 seconds (or whatever the time is) and he didn't rattle off too many. I thought this was the easiest question possible. "Treehouse of Horror I, II, III, IV, etc." Anyway, he stubbled on a couple more and the questions weren't very "geek-like." I was impressed that he got the Propane Elaine question.

The hip-hop Geek has been the worst Geek they've ever had. He's the only one that I've seen to get shutout in that final Geek Off. A geek who couldn't get one answer right? Next!