PDA

View Full Version : The Matrix - More 10 Disc SE Boxset Info Surfaces!!!

Beast
07-01-2004, 07:23 PM
I posted about this once before, but more news and specs have surfaced about the box set. This news is for Region 2, but expect Region 1 to be very similar in the details. Even for just casual fans of the series, it looks like it's going to be an ungodly boxset. Here's the news from Zeta Minor and HMV. :)

HMV is listing a ten-disc Matrix Megaset, for release on December the 6th. This seems to tie in with information that's been circulating for a while, but HMV's listing adds some credence to the rumours. The set will also contain a 20-page softcover booklet. HMV's RRP is £44.99.

The ten discs seem to be:

1 - The Matrix - With All-New Transfer & Audio Commentary

2 - The Matrix Revisited – Original Version With Behind-The-Scenes Footage

3 - Matrix Reloaded Extended Version – New Cut With 55 Minutes Of New Footage Inserted Back Into The Film

4 - Matrix Reloaded Revisited – All New Interviews, Scene Dissections And More!

5 - Matrix Revolutions – Original Cut With Audio Commentaries

6 - Matrix Revolutions Revisited – A Host Of All-New Extras

7 - The Animatrix

8 - The Roots Of The Matrix – 3 Hours Of Features

9 - The Burley Man Chronicles – The People Behind The Matrix Discuss Their Work

10 - The Zion Archive – A Tour Of Matrix Design Concepts, Storyboards & Drawings

And here is HMV's list of special features for the new discs:

THE MATRIX:

All-New Transfer & Audio Commentary

All-New transfer supervised by The Wachowskis and director of photography (DP), Bill Pope

Audio commentary by Keanu Reeves, Carrie Anne Moss, Laurence Fishburne, DP Bill Pope and other cast and crew

The Matrix Revisited – Original version with behind-the-scenes footage

The Matrix Revisited (180 Minutes) - Same special features as previous release

Offers comprehensive behind-the-scenes look at the first film in the trilogy.

MATRIX RELOADED:

Extended Version – New Cut With 55 Minutes Of New Footage Inserted Back Into The Film

Matrix Reloaded Revisited – All New Interviews, Scene Dissections And More!

Matrix Reloaded Extended Version (190 Minutes) - New Special Features new cut incorporating 55 minutes of footage shot for the 'Enter The Matrix' Game

Audio Commentaries by Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Laurence Fishburne, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Production Designer Owen Paterson, 2nd Unit Directors David Ellis And Kimble Rendall and other cast and crew

Matrix Reloaded Revisited - Special Features (180 Minutes)

Includes All New Footage Including Dozens Of Never-Before-Seen Cast And Crew Interviews, Scene Dissections, Explorations Of The Production Design And Special Effects, And More

MATRIX REVOLUTIONS:

Matrix Revolutions – Original cut with audio commentaries

Matrix Revolutions Revisited – A host of all-new extras

Matrix Revolutions - new special features:

Audio commentaries by Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Laurence Fishburne, Special Effects Supervisor, John Gaeta; editor, Zach Staenberg and other cast and crew

Matrix Revolutions Revisited - Special Features (180 Minutes)

Includes all new footage, including dozens of never-before-seen cast and crew interviews, scene dissections, explorations of the production design and special effects, and more

THE ANIMATRIX:

Same Special Features As Previous Release

THE ROOTS OF THE MATRIX:

The Roots Of The Matrix – 3 Hours Of Features:

The Roots of the Matrix - Special Features (180 Minutes)

The Matrix and the History of the Action Genre - Examines The Many Influences Of Action Cinema That Make Up The Matrix

Brainiacs’ Revenge - Scholars, Philosophers, Theorists, And Charlatans Deconstruct The Intellectual Underpinnings Of The Trilogy

The Science Behind The Fiction – Is The Notion Of A Real Matrix Plausible? An Investigation Of The Technologies That Inspire The Metaphor Of The Matrix

THE BURLEY MAN CHRONICLES:

The Burley Man Chronicles – The People Behind The Matrix Discuss Their Work:

The Burley Man Chronicles - Special Features (75 Minutes)

The Burley Man Chronicles - The “Human” Story Of The Making Of The Matrix, As Well As The Game Enter the Matrix

Rave Reel - A Club-Oriented Montage Of Unused And Newly Edited Footage From Reloaded

Spoofs of The Matrix -The “Best-of” these various clips

THE ZION ARCHIVE

The Zion Archive – A Tour Of Matrix Design Concepts, Storyboards & Drawings

The Zion Archive - Special Features

Zion Archive - Production Assets Developed For The Matrix Universe, Including Concept Artwork, Storyboards, Drawings, Etc

Basic ROM Features

Matrix-related submissions to the BBFC this year are as follows:

The Matrix Revolutions - Future Gamer: The Matrix Online (10'58")

The Matrix Recalibrated (27'02")

The Matrix Revolutions - Neo Realism the Evolution of Bullet Time (12'22")

The Matrix Revolutions - Mind Over Matter (8'03")

The Matrix Revolutions - Double Agent Part 1 (7'09")

The Matrix Revolutions - Super Big Mini Models (8'45")

The Matrix Revolutions - Super Burly Brawl Storyboard (6'16")

The Matrix Revolutions - CG Revolution (15'30")
http://www.zetaminor.com/whatsnew.htm
http://www1.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=224;5;-1;-1&sku=202272

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

B'Omarr Monkey
07-01-2004, 10:06 PM
I'll most likely skip this when it comes out. I didn't find any of the extras particularly riveting on the regular versions we already have. I'd consider buying the extended version of RELOADED as a seperate disc. I thought this was the weekest of the three movies, and maybe it would benefit from having the scenes of what was going on with Niobe cut into the film.

I'm getting to the point of real aggravation with all of these special and extended editions of DVDs. I can't think of how many basic DVDs I've bought that have come out with better editions later on. It makes me want to stop buying DVDs on first release and wait the year or two for the extended versions with the four hours of bells and whistles. Why they don't just put them out this way in the first place is beyond me. (Other than the obvious reason which is to get the fans to buy the movie twice). It used to be the other way around where they'd release the loaded versions first, then remove all of the extras when they dropped the price.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Finally!!! I had been hoping to hear news of this box set and finally it arrives!! I'll DEFINATELY be picking this awesome set up. It looks to be the True Matrix DVD experience!! woohoo!! :crazed:

Reefer Shark
07-01-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm not so sure about the set yet..

I would really want the extended editions of the movies, but I don't need all the behind the scenes footage. There's no way I would ever watch it all anyway. If they had some extra episodes of the Animatrix in there, that would probably sway me.

btw: does anynone know what £44.99 equals to in US dollars?

Beast
07-01-2004, 11:27 PM
btw: does anynone know what £44.99 equals to in US dollars?
Around $82.00, so it would likely be around $60.00 or so, the first week of release. If you shop around and get in on pre-orders and the like. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
07-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Thanks JarJar!

evenflow
07-02-2004, 12:05 PM
I think to purchase and watch this box set would be the ultimate torture for me.

derek
07-02-2004, 03:59 PM
i'm curious if the one brother director is gonna do his commentaries as a woman? :sur:

Mandalorian Candidat
07-02-2004, 06:03 PM
I heard there's an 11th disc with clips of the Wachowski Bros. drinking champagne on a yacht laughing their A's off while talking about all the people they ****ed off from Matrix 3.

Grievous
07-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Yeeeeow, this sounds crappy. I liked the first two a lot but the third one sucked, and that seems like way too much extra crap. I'll pass on this set.

Hellboy
07-02-2004, 07:10 PM
I'll be getting this too. Sounds pretty sweet to me having everything in one nice box set. I'll just sell or trade my other 4 Matrix disc's in for something else, no big deal. :cool:

plo koon 200
07-02-2004, 11:35 PM
The commentaries are a must. At last I can finally know what the Architect truely met and what the hell the ending means. Also, the extended cut of Reloaded sounds good.

Jayspawn
07-07-2004, 09:27 AM
I love the sound of this boxed set, an extra 55 minuets? Sweet! I have all 3 already but a boxed set w/ everything sounds great. Cant wait to hear more.

No commentary by Hugo?

Sentinel18725
07-08-2004, 12:09 AM
I never got the other films because I hated the fact that the first film was in one of those horrible paper boxes. So, I guess I'll be getting this....yea!

arctangent
07-08-2004, 05:15 AM
i loved the first too matrix films and, although the third one wasn't as good, i don't think it was the piece of crap that many said it was (although the ending was a bit of a let down). i haven't bought any of them on dvd yet because i was hoping for some sort of boxed set - i was bought the nine disk alien set last christmas and i am a sucker for extras/documentaries/commentaries so this will be on my christmas list this year. roll on december!

Pendo
07-08-2004, 01:26 PM
I like the first movie, but the sequels sucked big time! However I'm still thinking of picking this up. I don't think it would be too difficult to reduce the number of discs to about 6 or 7, the special features seem pretty spacious across the discs, they could probably be arranged better.

PENDO!

RooJay
07-12-2004, 08:35 PM
It's about time, although I am concerned with the price - I will definitely buy it if it could be had for around 60 bucks. Dare I say it - it seems there is such a thing as too many special features. I'd be willing to bet that they could probably fit all of that onto far fewer discs, though. Doubtless it's all spread out so as to seem a better value for the higher price point. I imagine it's much easier to convince folks to spend more on a 10 disc set than it would be with a 5 disc set.

Beast
08-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Ok, we have some info that clears up some of the early rumors. It appears there will not be a director or cast commentary on the DVD's. And the 'Enter the Matrix' footage will not be cut back into the movie. But there is a very intresting commentary planned for all 3 movies. Commentary by critics that hated the movies, which should be pretty great to listen to. Even for those less then big fans of the series. Here's the info from Comic Con and The Digital Bits. Have to say, the planned price point is pretty nice. :)

Anyone out there up for The Ultimate Matrix Collection? According to the Wachowski Brothers, who made a rare public appearance at the recent Comic-Con to talk about the DVDs, it's on the way in December. They were part of a Warner Bros. DVD panel on Saturday, which happened right before the big Lucasfilm Star Wars panel, so it seems not many people from the online DVD world were in attendance to hear them talk (including us). But faithful Bits reader Doug S. was there and sent us all the details, some which confirm things we'd heard before (click here and here) and some of it new information.

A promo was shown revealing two versions of the set, including a more expensive Collector's Edition Gift Set that includes a Neo minibust from Gentle Giant and a soundtrack CD. As we've heard before, this will be a 10-disc set as follows:

Disk 1 - The Matrix (digitally remastered and recolored)
Disk 2 - The Matrix Revisited (The SAME disc already released)
Disk 3 - The Matrix Reloaded
Disk 4 - The Matrix Reloaded Revisited
Disk 5 - The Matrix Revolutions
Disk 6 - The Matrix Revolutions Revisited
Disk 7 - The Animatrix (The SAME disc already released)
Disk 8 - The Roots of the Matrix
Disk 9 - The Burly Man Chronicles
Disk 10 - The Zion Archive

Here's additional information the Wachowskis revealed at the panel:

Despite rumors, there will be no new director's cuts. The brothers said they were very happy with the original theatrical versions.

There will be two audio commentaries for each film - one from philosophers Ken Wilber and Cornel West (who analyze the meanings behind the films), and one from three professional critics who hated all three films (no names given). According to Andy Wachowski, "It's the best idea we've ever had. It's hilarious. They just sit there and rip the **** out of us for six hours."

All the footage shot for the Enter the Matrix videogame is present on the DVD for Matrix Reloaded. However, it is not cut into the film - it's a separate special feature you can view scene-by-scene.

Finally, the Wachowskis said that none of the special features from the original DVD releases of the trilogy will be reproduced except for what you find on Discs 2 and 7. You may see some of the same footage re-edited, but if you want to own all of the extras you'll need to keep your original DVDs too.

So there you have it, straight from a Bits reader who was there. Todd and I actually saw the Wachowskis at the Burly Man booth in the dealer room, so we know there were on hand for all the Comic-Con fun. Our thanks to Doug for his efforts and for sending all this information to us to post for all of you.

I thought we had a lot on this title in yesterday's post, but we're back AGAIN today with still more information on Warner's The Ultimate Matrix DVD Gift Set (TBA, due in December). As a reward for taking an online survey over at the Warner Home Video website, Bits reader Jeremy H. was able to learn some new details about the set... AND get some pics for you too!

According to Warner's survey, the 10-disc The Ultimate Matrix DVD Gift Set will include the three Matrix movies, The Animatrix and 6 discs of "enhanced content" with over 35 hours of bonus material. SRP is expected to be in the range of $59.99. It looks like there will also be more elaborate (and more expensive) version of the set that will include all 10 discs in special packaging, along with an "exclusive resin Neo bust and an 80-page book with never-before-seen artwork and storyboards."

Wanna look-see? Well, here you go...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/matrixultimate.jpg
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/matrixgiftset.jpg
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/matrixdetails.jpg
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jawa9
08-14-2004, 08:10 PM
that's it boys! Milk that baby for all it's worth!

Beast
08-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Here's the price details for the set, don't think they've been posted. But it seems the MSRP is a bit higher than originally announced.

Damn, we just can't see to get out of the office today! Warner Bros. has just officially announced their long-awaited, 10-disc The Ultimate Matrix Collection for release on 12/7 (SRP $79.92). The same day, they'll also release The Ultimate Matrix Collection: Limited Edition which includes a Neo mini-bust and a collector's book (SRP $129.92). Here's text from Warner's announcement:

"The definitive ten-disc DVD set, The Ultimate Matrix Collection features all three films in the trilogy together for the first time ever with a newly remastered picture and sound for The Matrix. Also included is the companion piece The Matrix Revisited and the best-selling The Animatrix, plus five entirely new DVDs packed solid with brand-new supplemental materials that encompass every aspect of the Matrix universe, including two new audio commentaries on each film, 23 scenes shot for the Enter the Matrix video game, 106 deep-delving featurettes/documentaries and much more! The Ultimate Matrix Collection Limited Edition also includes a limited-edition Neo mini-bust figurine and a 80-page Collector's Book."

In addition to what's listed above, The Ultimate Matrix Collection will feature 2 audio commentary tracks for each film (one with philosophers Dr. Cornel West and Ken Wilber, and the other with critics of the film - Todd McCarthy, John Powers and David Thomson), an introduction to the set by the Wachowski Brothers, Easter eggs and much, much, MUCH more.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks