PDA

View Full Version : That Jeopardy Guy, Ken Jennings (merged)

Exhaust Port
07-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Is anyone else watching this guy on Jeopardy?

For those that don't know, they changed the rule where you could only be on Jeopardy for 3 consecutive nights to now, you can be on unlimited until you lose. The current champ won his 22nd game today to bring his total up to over $737,000!!!! Awesome.

This guy is truly smart. I haven't been able to watch that many of his shows but those that I have were very impressive. I don't remember him actually missing a question when he does answer.

I'm rooting for him to hit the $1 million mark. There's no reason why he can't do it.

Kidhuman
07-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Yeagh, this guy is insane. I caught one show and the had like 27k and the next person only had like 2k. I would be upset if I was going on the show and he was the reigning champ.

Exhaust Port
07-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Today he had something like $40,000 with the woman next to him with $1,800. It was a pretty safe bet that she wasn't going to be a factor in Final Jeopardy. :)

I don't know if I would be upset going up against him. Being smarter isn't an unfair advantage in a game of knowledge. (I realize that smarts doesn't equal knowledge but you know what I mean).

I just wish I could get my dad on the show. We stopped playing trivia games a long time ago thanks to him crushing us every time. Heck, we'd throw the whole family against him on one side and he'd still win. Smarts must be a gene that skips a generation or 2.

Arrogant Arse
07-02-2004, 09:23 AM
I haven't seen it, but it sounds like the episode of Cheers when Cliff was on and had $22,000, and the other two had about $3,000 between them. Although this guy hasn't blown it like Cliff. (Who are two people who haven't been in my kitchen?) I hope he makes the Million mark. It is cool that he could do it.

OC47150
07-02-2004, 09:24 AM
The rules for length of stay changed last fall. The winner can stay as long as he wants/wishes.

There's been a couple of times I thought ole Ken was gonig to get beat. One guy a week or so ago gave him a real run for his money, but Ken took off in the last two - three minutes of the game.

The guy from Canada on last night's (7-1) show was a real challenger for the first half of the show, but fizzled out.

Exhaust Port
07-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Winning about $40,000 a show he should hit the $1 million mark in about 6 more shows. At what point does he get bored? When will the game show executives get bored of seeing the same guy up there every day?

Rocketboy
07-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Impressive, but I can't help but remember the Press Your Luck scandal back in the 70's or 80's, although I don't see anyway for this guy to be cheating, unless someone was feeding him the answers, which I doubt.

Kidhuman
07-02-2004, 11:44 AM
The Press you Luck scandal was hilarious. Have you ever seen those shows?

Exhaust Port
07-02-2004, 12:57 PM
No, but I've heard about them. Where can you see them now?

Rocketboy
07-02-2004, 01:07 PM
They occasionally show a special on it on Game Show Network.

Exhaust Port
07-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Darn, I'm in the cable dark ages so I'll miss out.

JediTricks
07-03-2004, 01:51 AM
You can also see it occasionally on NBC during their "Greatest Game Show Moments" specials, that's where I saw it recently.

I've been watching Ken on and off since he started (I like how he writes his name different every time) and the guy even hampered my mom's birthday party last week when my grandma rushed home to watch just in case he lost so she wouldn't miss it, delaying the cake for 30 minutes (and obviously, she didn't even see him lose, she only saw him break the $500k barrier). Anyway, Ken's pretty bright, but he's missed a lot of questions too, I think his true strength comes from the strategy of his daily doubles and his ability to buzz in first - I've seen contestants hammering the button to get in ahead of him but somehow they never do. If he's cheating in any way, the buzzers would be it, but my guess is that he's just recognized exactly the right time to hit it and not just hammer it randomly.

BTW, I think the rule was a 6-day-limit before, not 3. After 6, you got a free Jaguar from Rusnak of Pasadena, and you got to return for the tournament of champions.

plo koon 200
07-03-2004, 01:58 AM
I've been watching it. Ken is amazing.

Exhaust Port
07-03-2004, 01:10 PM
BTW, I think the rule was a 6-day-limit before, not 3. After 6, you got a free Jaguar from Rusnak of Pasadena, and you got to return for the tournament of champions.
3-day might have been a really old school rule from the 1980's and 90's. I really haven't watched the show over the last decade. I was shocked to only recently that they upped the question dollars.

Kidhuman
07-03-2004, 11:50 PM
I thought it was five days, but who is counting.

Exhaust Port
07-04-2004, 12:10 AM
I think 5 days might be the correct answer. Oops, I'm sorry, "What is 5 days?" Alex.

mastermatt24
07-04-2004, 03:20 PM
I really hope that he gets to the million mark. His good luck charm is pretty funny, I laughed when I saw it. :crazed:

Ric Olie
07-05-2004, 05:59 PM
The limit used to be 5 days. If you won 5 times you got to pick an automobile. For awhile they had his' and her's sportscars.

The runner ups use to recieve prizes second place got a trip while third place got a tv.

The money per question was double 2 years ago . It used to be,

$100
$200
$300
$400
$500

for the Jeopardy round.

$200
$400
$600
$800
$1000

for the Double Jeopardy round.

Now the amount money amout per clues is

$200
$400
$600
$800
$1000

for the Jeopardy round.

$400
$800
$1200
$1600
$2000

Now since there's no limit to how many times you can come back someone like Ken can rack in a huge some of money.

I hope he hits a million too.

Kidhuman
07-05-2004, 10:10 PM
The limit used to be 5 days. If you won 5 times you got to pick an automobile. For awhile they had his' and her's sportscars.

The runner ups use to recieve prizes second place got a trip while third place got a tv.

The money per question was double 2 years ago . It used to be,

$100
$200
$300
$400
$500

for the Jeopardy round.

$200
$400
$600
$800
$1000

Now the amount money amout per clues is

$200
$400
$600
$800
$1000

for the Jeopardy round.

$400
$800
$1200
$1600
$2000

Now since there's no limit to how many times you can come back someone like Ken can rack in a huge some of money.

I hope he hits a million too.

Dont ya mean "The money was half" two years ago?

Exhaust Port
07-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Ric, thanks for the break down. I take it your a Jeopardy Junkie?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-08-2004, 12:56 AM
I too have been mesmerized by Ken's incredible run over the last month or so of Jeopardy! JT pointed out right, he is very fast on the buzzer and always seems to nail the Daily Doubles. Of course I don't want to forget that he is one smart man.

I just wonder how long it can continue (doesn't the season end soon?) and how many multi-day champions there could have been if they hadn't of had the 5 day limit rule (which has been around for 1 year only) for so long?

I'm rooting against him btw, just as I do on any game show where contestants win enough and still want more. (Like in Press Your Luck when some greedy contestant would keep taking their spins despite the fact they were thousands of dollars ahead of everyone else). Granted it's not like he can quit whenever he wants to, someone does have to beat him. I especially don't like to watch shows where he trounces over the contestants, I just enjoy competition. Without it, the show is listless.

OC47150
07-08-2004, 08:11 AM
I think, if no one beats him, Ken will hit $1 mil and quit. Be the first person to do it. At this rate, it should be another week.

Exhaust Port
07-08-2004, 08:57 AM
What are his winnings up to now?

OC47150
07-08-2004, 09:02 AM
As of last night (7-7), Ken has more than $855,000. He hasn't wagered too much during the final question the last few times I've watched. He's also missed several final questions, too, in the last two - three weeks.

Exhaust Port
07-08-2004, 09:18 AM
I wonder if he's becoming more cautious to insure he'll hit the $1 million mark.

Kidhuman
07-08-2004, 12:32 PM
It doesnt matter, I dont think anyone will beat that dollar amount for quite some time.

vadersvette
07-10-2004, 12:40 AM
That guy is so frickin' amazing! He doesn't even have to stop and think before he answers. The answers just come *snap* like that. Even things I never even heard about before. He knows everything about cities across the world. I'd be lucky to know anything about my own city :rolleyes: Every day my grandmother calls up after Jeopardy all excited and asking me if I watched :crazed:
I loved it a couple weeks ago during Final Jeopardy when the lady next to him made her response "whatever Ken's answer is!" :D :D :D

mastermatt24
07-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Just a few minutes ago Ken broke the record by winning a million dollars on Jepordy! :D

mrpauldeeds
07-13-2004, 11:02 PM
he is so smart its scary...makes me wish i paid more attention in high school.:ermm:

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Gosh, 30 wins! He's my new hero!

Exhaust Port
07-14-2004, 08:53 AM
He seems like a really nice guy. Glad he made it this far. Perhaps we'll see him hit $2 million?! :)

Kidhuman
07-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Conrgats Ken, now lose already.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-14-2004, 10:44 AM
I was listening to the radio this AM and a movie critic (Steve Oldfield) who works for the FOX network was saying that there's a strong rumor that Jennings will go all through the rest of this Jeopardy season and will appear at the beginning of the next one. Regardless, this guy's impressed me by just winning five in a row.

Ric Olie
07-14-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm assuming this season of Jeopardy will end sometime in August because the next season will begin in September with all the other shows. That's just a guess though.

El Chuxter
07-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Okay, in exactly one month, he breaks the one million mark. Excellent press for Jeopardy!

The questions are the same too-easy questions Jeopardy has been subjected to since the moronic Clue Crew made their debut a couple of years ago and Alex shaved his moustache.

And the people going up against him have been idiots. I mean, the woman last night didn't even seem to know that after getting a correct answer, she got to choose the next answer.

Methinks this is a huge publicity stunt. "Let's put imbeciles against this guy of above average intellect so we can have a $1 million winner and no longer be the game show that doesn't have such big payouts."

I don't consider myself a conspiracy theorist, but I smell a rat.

I'd put this guy right up there with Ryan Seacrest and Paige Davis on the list of people I'd like to pay Michael Clarke Duncan to beat up.

mastermatt24
07-14-2004, 05:30 PM
he is so smart its scary...makes me wish i paid more attention in high school.:ermm:
You can allways go back to Devry or something.. ;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-15-2004, 01:24 AM
The guy just puts to shame the competition.

After repeated watchings, I notice how interesting it gets in the opening Jeopardy! round, with scores remaining close, but he always seems to pull away in Double Jeopardy. It takes the thrill out of watching it when you know it is a runaway, and so many of his shows have been just that.

He also knows how to use that buzzer, always seeming to jump in a nanosecond ahead of his competition.

They may not do this anymore, but up until last year, they invited back all the 5 time winning champions or big money winners to compete in the Tournament of Champions. There you would see a much more difficult level of questioning, and great competition. But because of the new rule, I wonder if it is scrapped.

JediTricks
07-15-2004, 07:10 PM
I was listening to the radio this AM and a movie critic (Steve Oldfield) who works for the FOX network was saying that there's a strong rumor that Jennings will go all through the rest of this Jeopardy season and will appear at the beginning of the next one.Dunno about that, he had a lot of trouble yesterday in the first round, could have gotten away from him there if the other contestants had been faster.

The questions are the same too-easy questions Jeopardy has been subjected to since the moronic Clue Crew made their debut a couple of years ago and Alex shaved his moustache. Yeah, the questions do seem easier (or I'm getting smarter and didn't realize ;)). And the Clue Crew suck, the slow down the pace and are so vanilla it's sad, they add nothing positive to the show.

I really thing it's not that the other contestants are dumb, it's that they're intimidated by being on TV and then going up against Ken. Plus, he's a wizard with the buzzer most of the time which makes ANYBODY look dumb since generally they're not answering. That poor old lady from the other day who just said answers without hitting the buzzer, she HAD to have passed their preliminary tests and practice rounds and such.

When you watch this guy go, he doesn't hammer the button over and over as fast as he can like the other contestants do, I suspect this is the real key to his success, he recognizes when the buzzers unlock and has the reflexes to make it worth his while.

OC47150
07-16-2004, 08:55 AM
Ken appeared not to be in his usual relaxed groove last night (7-15).

The previous night (7-13) he wagered too much on the Double Jep questions and that almost cost him.

Rocketboy
07-16-2004, 12:44 PM
As great as this guy is, did you know he still isn't the top prize money winner?
There is a guy who was on the Early Show (I think) this morning that has won over $1.2 million. He was under the old rules and won 5 days straight, then won the tournament of champions, and then some million dollar special show.

mastermatt24
07-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Ken appeared not to be in his usual relaxed groove last night (7-15).

I really thought he was going to lose last night.. That big guy almost had him but then he started losing his money.. :D

Exhaust Port
07-17-2004, 02:10 AM
As great as this guy is, did you know he still isn't the top prize money winner?
There is a guy who was on the Early Show (I think) this morning that has won over $1.2 million. He was under the old rules and won 5 days straight, then won the tournament of champions, and then some million dollar special show.
In addition to closing in on that record he is also closing in on the record for a game show which is held by some guy from Who Wants to be a Millionaire or something. I hope he takes both records.

Ric Olie
07-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Did Ken win today, Friday the 23rd? How much and what's his grand total I missed today's episode (Jep comes on at 11:00 AM where I live.)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Did Ken win today, Friday the 23rd? How much and what's his grand total I missed today's episode (Jep comes on at 11:00 AM where I live.)
He beat his record of $52, 000. Today he won a whopping $75,000, culminating his winnings to $1,321,660!

OC47150
07-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Friday night's (7-23) episode was the last new episode of the season, so Ken can return at the beginning on next season, around Labor Day, if he chooses.

I'm surprised Ken had the gusto to bet as much as he did. He'd been real reluctant to beat the one-day record for so long.

derek
07-25-2004, 06:15 PM
he may be smart, but he didn't know who "the calling" are! lol

JediTricks
07-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Friday night's (7-23) episode was the last new episode of the season, so Ken can return at the beginning on next season, around Labor Day, if he chooses.

I'm surprised Ken had the gusto to bet as much as he did. He'd been real reluctant to beat the one-day record for so long.
6 weeks from tomorrow is Aug 30th, I have my calendar set. :greedy:

At the next to last question of double jeopardy, he had over $52k, and then got a question wrong and went back down to $51k. At this point, I think he couldn't have avoided going over without actively sabotaging his final jeopardy play which would have been uncool.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-29-2004, 01:19 AM
I know this sounds counterlogical since Jeopardy's ratings have gone up considerably since Ken's appearances, but I haven't been watching the show as religiously as I have in the past. I probably saw one of Ken's appearances within the last two weeks, and probably turned it off before the episode was over.

I am just surprised at the lack of competitiveness the show has offered Ken so far. Granted he is smart and fast, but I can only barely recall a few shows where he has had some close calls. The paper said the other day, that he had something like eight or nine thousand dollars before someone else rang in with a correct answer.

BTW, has anyone ever tried out to be a Jeopardy! contestant? I have a 50 question test sample included on my Jep PS2 DVD. According to the game, I never get the 35 needed to pass, but I figure with misspellings not counting answers right, I have gotten over that number many times.

Kidhuman
07-29-2004, 10:42 AM
but I figure with misspellings

ANd you want to be a teacher? :crazed: :beard:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-29-2004, 02:20 PM
You try spelling Kamal Attatourk without any help (btw, I probably misspelled it) :)

Kidhuman
07-29-2004, 04:03 PM
OK, you got me. WHo is he BTW.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-30-2004, 12:26 AM
He was one of the most effective leaders the world has ever seen, a unifier of Turkey, I believe late 19th century, early 20th century.

James Boba Fettfield
11-08-2004, 07:15 PM
They have Star Wars as a subject on Jeopardy tonight for the double jeopardy round.

Just thought I'd let those know who have not had the show aired in their markets this evening.

EDIT-After seeing the category just a minute ago I have this to say: they were fun clues given by some cool guests, but easy questions...er, answers for us SW geeks.

El Chuxter
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Star Wars and the knowledge that Jennings' days are numbered! What more reason do I need to watch?

With Jennings gone and SW as a category, my own chances at multimillion dollar winnings may be enhanced. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
11-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Yeah, but do you know how long it will be before we see his final show? During tonight's episode they advertised their two week college tournament beginning Wednesday...ugh! I hate the special tournaments, especially that terribly sad Kids Tournament from a few weeks back.

So we won't be seeing Ken gone until probably after Thanksgiving, so long...

JediTricks
11-08-2004, 08:52 PM
They're milking it, Jennings was expected to be out by the middle of this week, but like you I suspect that's why the college tournament is kicking in on Wed, to draw his last showing out.

Today's ep doesn't air here in LA till tomorrow, I think, because of Monday Night Football on ABC. That ep seems to air on Tuesday, then Wednesday here we get the first day of the Jeopardy College Tournament.

The kids tournaments are always unwatchable to me.

OC47150
11-09-2004, 08:06 AM
I taped it but haven't watched it yet.

I thought KJ would last until the middle of the month, or at least what the rumors floating around said.

dr_evazan22
11-09-2004, 09:13 AM
I forgot about it. Can anyone post the questions?

James Boba Fettfield
11-09-2004, 10:51 AM
This is off the top of my head from what I remember last night. And for those who haven't seen it, don't read this next part.

$400-Read by Mark Hamill. It asked for a character who was played by three different people: one for his voice, one inside the suit, and one to play him unmasked. "Who is Darth Vader?"

These next three I might have out of order with their correct money value.

$800-Read by R2-D2 in his series of bloops and bleeps. I can't remember what the clue was at all, but the answer was, "What is droid?"

$1200-Read by a Stormtrooper. Asked for the two characters who dressed up as stormtroopers on the Death Star to rescue Leia. "Who are Han and Luke?"

$1600-Read by Chewbacca in his wookiee language. The clue asked what species Chewbacca was. "What is a wookiee?"

$2000-Read by Anthony Daniels. I don't remember what the clue was at all, but the answer was, "What is protocol?"

EDIT-I was reading over this again, and I realized I left the money values as the first round of Jeopardy, but they were in the second, or Double Jeopardy round. So I went ahead and fixed them.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Smart play on Jeopardy's part to draw as much viewership as possible before Ken finally succumbs. On Tuesday's show I was sure that he would be gone, he trailed after the Jeopardy round by something close to $6000 with him in 3rd place. Sure enough he gained his momentum, quickly hit a daily double in the next round, and regained the lead he never relinquished. He, as usual had more than double the money the next player had by the time the game was over. It sucks not watching competitive shows like that one, although Ken wasn't at his best.

He leaves with somewhere around 2.5, which is almost where he is at now, so after they come back from the college round, it's only a matter of a show or two.

Hats off to him.

JediTricks
11-13-2004, 04:16 AM
I had the same thought about Jennings losing, only it was on Wed when I saw it because monday night football pushes the show back a day here. By the middle of the show, Jennings was yawning, and throughout he looked twisted up like he was victim of a bad night's sleep or something, he never smiled or had fun with it and rang in with a few brutal mistakes when his opponents were catching up and even surpassing him.

James Boba Fettfield
11-30-2004, 05:16 PM
I really don't call this a spoiler since the news has been spilled everywhere from CNN to here since September, but here's the warning just in case: a general spoiler ahead

Tonight's an important night for those interested in Ken Jennings and his run. I was thinking it was going to be Wednesday's show, but Yahoo News says otherwise.

So if you don't watch it regularly and have an interest in seeing Ken go bye, tune in tonight.

mastermatt24
11-30-2004, 06:39 PM
So if you have an interest in seeing Ken go bye, tune in tonight.
HEHEhehe....... :evil: :Pirate: :crazed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Arrgh, I can't believe I missed it! My sister saw it though and told me about it. I was thinking he'd leave and not actually lose, but I guess I was wrong.

James Boba Fettfield
11-30-2004, 07:10 PM
I just finished watching the first round as it is being aired here right now, and Ken is playing at his usual level. I guess he will fall apart in Double Jeopardy. This is gonna be fun.

Continued:

And boy did he mess up those double jeopardy questions. Not like him to mess up twice like that. Good run, Jennings.

OC47150
12-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Although I knew the outcome (thank you, electronic media) I taped the show. Haven't watched it yet.

It was bound to happen. Ken came close to losing several times.

Slicker
12-01-2004, 11:44 AM
That's gotta be alot of strain going 75 straight shows when most people if they win only make it 2 or 3. He defenitely earned his 2.5 Million. For one man to know that much is mind boggling.:crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
12-01-2004, 06:38 PM
He defenitely earned his 2.5 Million. For one man to know that much is mind boggling.:crazed:

He may have earned it, but the government will surely get half of it.

"I'll take 'Getting Screwed by Uncle Sam' for $1 million, Alex." :D

JediTricks
12-02-2004, 06:25 PM
The gov't takes something like HALF of gameshow winnings and prizes! Of course, he's rich enough to hide it now, but as a mormon, he'll probably do the honest thing and pay up.

mastermatt24
12-02-2004, 06:35 PM
That REALLY sucks. Are you guys positive that they take half? :dead:

James Boba Fettfield
12-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Man, I know I read somewhere that he has to pay up more than one million to the government. I think JT is right with what he said.

Then he has that whole tithe business he said he would pay, too.

Even after these subtractions, it's still more money than any of us made this year...or for many years.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Congratulations to Ken for one heckuva ride that started almost six months ago.

Yes, you could see Ken's undoing in missing two Daily Doubles, which are his normal chances to put the game away. Also, if Ken had one achilles heel catergory, it was in sports knowledge, and he missed several opportunities to take thousands of dollars there.

Still he was an awesome, incredibly resourceful and knowledgeable player who was quick on the draw as well. He was also polite and dignified, and never let his dominace go to his head (although his signature did get more glitzy toward the end). I saw him on Letterman the night of his dethronement, and he was ever the consumate individual.

Just wonder if any previous contestant would have bested Ken's mark hadn't they retired after 5 days, the rule up until two seasons ago.

A quick sidenote, H & R Block has promised to prepare Ken's tax returns for free, for the rest of his life. He will also reportedly do a commercial which states something along the line of "even one of the smartest men in the world, needs help when doing his taxes."

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-31-2004, 06:50 PM
Jeopardy is cashing in on the craze that Ken Jennings created by having a Super Tournament of Champions, to air sometime during February or March. The tournament will last a couple of months, and former 5 time champions who never had a chance to see how far they could go, will be invited back to square off versus each other. Two winners will face Ken in the finals. The winner will get two million dollars and a title that looks very impressive on a resume.

Kidhuman
01-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Thats only because he ran an entire season and basiclly was the only champion on there. They dont have enough people for their normal torny. GOtta give Ken his due though.

JediTricks
01-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Sounds like a good time, but a couple of months?!? Seems too long. I tell you what though, I'd rather see this than the kiddie tournament and even the college tournament, I always tune out for those 2.

mastermatt24
01-01-2005, 11:14 PM
I watch the kids one but I think that the questions are way to easy- even for kids. As for the college- I dont like this one..

El Chuxter
01-04-2005, 03:21 PM
That blind guy would've mopped the floor with Ken. :p

DarthQuack
01-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I guess if you consider all the 5 day champs they've had over the years, I think they said they were looking to get like 150 of them which is a long arse tournament.

JediTricks
01-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Wow, I didn't realize there were that many. I hope they are coming back for guaranteed pay no matter what. ;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-17-2005, 09:33 PM
I am pleasantly pleased with the tournament thus far, although I am anxious for the finals to begin. The questions are only a little bit more difficult than a normal show from what I can gather. Some have been absurdly easy (like most of today's).

There have been a few contestants that will give Ken a run for his money provided that they get to face him. One of the few that stand out (and I don't remember names) was a lady who won a college tournament a few years ago, she was on the show early in the week and kicked but.

It was also surprising to see Eddie Timanus, the blind sportswriter for USA Today, in 3rd place going into Final Jeopardy on yesterday's show. He did recover enough for a strong second, but won't be going on to face Ken.

OC47150
03-18-2005, 07:48 AM
I've only caught bits and pieces of it, because of my schedule. I remember some of the contestants from their previous appearances.

Wasn't there a woman on there just the other night who'd been on previous like 10 - 15 years ago?

El Chuxter
03-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I was completely shocked to see Eddie not smash his competition like he did in previous games.

On a related note, anyone else sick of the Ken Jennings Cingular commercial yet?

OC47150
03-18-2005, 10:23 AM
What is stinking rich?

It is a little annoying. The funniest person is the burly bearded biker type.

El Chuxter
03-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah, but I think that part ("You're my cousin on whose side?" "Exactly") would be funnier if it were a huge African-American guy or a short elderly Asian woman.

OC47150
04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
I see that Ken has pimped himself out again and doing Allstate commercials.

Exhaust Port
04-06-2005, 12:22 PM
More power to him.

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2005, 12:54 PM
On a related note, anyone else sick of the Ken Jennings Cingular commercial yet?
Dude, can you please refrain from talking about my family like that? Thanks.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-10-2005, 12:31 PM
I see that Ken has pimped himself out again and doing Allstate commercials.

Just a way to supplement his earnings.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Now that Jeopardy! is in round 2 of the Ultimate Tournament of Champions, I've noticed the questions and categories are considerably harder.

A funny story from CIII . . . while standing in line on Saturday to get merchandise from the store, we noticed a guy ahead of us line who was sporting a sweatshirt that read "Jeopardy, Ultimate Tournament of Champions, 2005." I don't know if DrEvazan was talking with him, or we overhead it, but he was going to be on Tuesday (4/26) for his second round appearance. He didn't say what was going to happen.

I couldn't watch it because I had to work, but if anyone watched that show and remembers, the man in line had brown hair and circular glasses.

OC47150
04-29-2005, 08:13 AM
There is a guy from Louisville on the UC, Chris, I believe his name is. He appeared on the show again this week. He works at one of the Targets that's on my regular toy run route. I see him there every once and awhile.

James Boba Fettfield
05-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Well, the tournament finally reaches the Jennings round this week. So for those who have missed him, this is it.

mastermatt24
05-24-2005, 02:02 AM
That fat guy with the shaved chest hair bothers me, especially on the one episode where he didnt wear a tie and he had the top of his shirt open... :nerv:

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Is it just me, or does Jerome (who's last name escapes me right now) look like a bad Jon Lovitz character? I can't help but think this everytime I see him!

DarthQuack
05-24-2005, 02:12 PM
What happened last night on Jeopardy, I forgot to watch it.

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2005, 02:25 PM
I forget who won, but all three were within a thousand dollars of each other. It was a really close game.

DarthQuack
05-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Well after two nights of the three night final the standings are

Brad 38k I think....
Ken 26k
other dude 10k

So Ken has some work left over if he wants to win.

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2005, 10:20 AM
When I watched it Monday nite, I thought the questions were MUCH tougher than normal. Judging by the relatively low scores over the first two rounds, I'd have to say it wasn't just me. I really expected this to be a high scoring affair, but I guess I was wrong. I would have preferred a bunch of easy garbage (see SNL's "Celebrity Jeopardy!" :D ) and have a high scoring shoot-out.

El Chuxter
05-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Nothing actually against Ken, but I hope he goes down tonight so people will shut up about him. :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-25-2005, 10:37 PM
It looks like the tournament hype failed to live up to expectations. It was clear by yesterday's show that Ken had met worthy opponents who weren't pushovers like 2/3 of his competition during regular play. Kudos to Brad Rutter, the 2 million dollar winner. He had the right answers and he seemed faster on the draw than Ken was. Brad didn't have to wager a single dollar during Final Jeopardy because the tournament was already in the bag.

In related news, Comedy Central has signed Ken to do a game show for their network, perhaps similar to the channels most successful game show, "Win Ben Stein's Money." Look for it to air next year.

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Just call me Slicker. . . .

Serious reason for dredging this up, though: Has anyone heard about Jennings being a total douchebag on his site? What, $2.5 million isn't enough when your fifteen minutes of fame is up? I read about it on a Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060726/ap_en_tv/people_ken_jennings;_ylt=Aibfnu9Ypgb2pJOWHiNTUMCs0 NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-) story and refuse to actually visit this guy's site.

If ever anyone deserved a pimp-slappin'....

OC47150
07-26-2006, 08:58 AM
I've read about old Ken and the back pedaling his done in the last day or so.

I do have to agree with him: the categories do need to be updated.

And the questions have been dumbed down, too, IMO.

CaptainSolo1138
07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Talk about biting the hand that fed you. Damn Mormons. I bet he'd loosen up if he had a drink or twenty.

OC47150
07-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Should we send KenJen some adult beverages? :twisted:

CaptainSolo1138
07-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Should we send KenJen some adult beverages? :twisted:
I say so. Should we take up a collection or do you just wanna get it sent out and we can all PayPal you some funds at a later time?

What are we sending? As a new drinker, I'd go one extreme or the other: Either send him a nice bottle of Crown Royal with a personalized bag (http://www.crownroyalstore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=CRW+003BAG%2DP+750&HDR=Bagslabels&LDA=LDA) or a Dirty 30 of Natty Ice since he wouldn't know good alcohol if it jumped in his lap and became his 8th wife.

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Root beer schnapps and some soda water make for one of those "thish hash alchohol in it?" drinks. Maybe something like that would be a good starting point for the SOB.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Saw a newsblurb on Yahoo. Apparently Ken is pulling a fast one as he stated in an interview everything he said was "tongue-in-cheek." He made the original comments on a blog, which goes to show you, anyone who has a blog is looking to spout off on something, and say anything they can, no matter how ridiculous, to get attention. Boo Ken! :mad:

El Chuxter
07-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Y'know, while I'm in agreement that the questions have gotten a bit too easy for the most part, and the Clue Crew need to be shot, I'd play ball if a major game show said to me, "We want to boost our ratings, and you're a likeable guy. Want an easy 2.5 million?"

Sorry. You'll never convince me that a guy stays on there just long enough to beat every conceivable game show records, trouncing the competition, then gets offed on a butt-arse easy question. I'm not complaining, since I really don't care, but that was totally fixed.

2-1B
07-27-2006, 01:32 AM
I could take this guy.

Banthaholic
07-27-2006, 01:54 AM
I read about this a few times and what I got out of it was there wasn't really a story to tell. Just seemed like a slow news day and (gasp) a writer is trying to stir the pot to make something out of nothing.

I laughed seeing some of the headlines as if Jennings flat-out blasted Jeopardy. Craziness...

Speaking of Ken, I saw his board game on clearance at TRU the other day.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Their answers are like this:

Lots and lots of details, all to be irrelevent because the often-in-quotation-marks hint will give it away.

And Final Jeopardy has been too simple lately.

Banthaholic
07-28-2006, 12:50 AM
I'll take bad Alec Trebek accents for $500 please

Bel-Cam Jos
07-28-2006, 04:31 PM
"That's Therapists, not The Rapists."

"Anyone? Simply ring in with any answer, and you'll win. Anyone at all?"

"I sure hope
I'll do better
Next weekend on the Price Is Right
Ight
Ight."

"No, I'm sorry. You said 'Dr. Strangelove, And How I Learned to Love the Bomb' and of course, it's 'Dr. Strangelove, Or How I Learned to Love the Bomb'."

El Chuxter
07-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah, they are quite arbitrary. A few days ago, they counted a lady wrong for saying "Gustaf" instead of "Gustav." And yet a month or so ago they took "A Perfect Storm" instead of the correct film title, "The Perfect Storm." No, sorry, that's wrong. 360, Big L, you lose!!

2-1B
07-30-2006, 03:34 AM
Wow Chux, I'm surprised they didn't accept Gustaf/Gustav...heck, depending on your pronounciation I bet it would be hard to say definitively which way you are pronouncing it in the first place, ya know? :confused:

JEDIpartner
07-30-2006, 08:22 AM
That's seriously nitpicky.

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2006, 12:28 PM
"Colors that End in 'urple'"

Slicker
08-01-2006, 02:12 PM
"Colors that End in 'urple'"Light urple?

DarthQuack
08-01-2006, 03:25 PM
I'll take the rapists for 200 Alex.

JediTricks
08-01-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm feeling a tad urple right now myself.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-15-2011, 07:32 PM
I cannot believe it was 5 years ago that KJ went on his run. And now, he and the guy who won a bunch on champion tournaments are "playing" Watson, the IBM computer this week (tonight is Double and Final Jeopardy, but I don't know how Wednesday will go).

Funniest part from yesterday's show? Human player (I think it was Ken): "What are... the '20s?" Alex: "No, sorry." Watson: "What are the 1920s?" Alex: "No, and [name] just said that." :D

Bel-Cam Jos
02-16-2011, 08:12 PM
And what was Watson's Final Jeopardy wager, when he/it/she/they had the game won (by over $10,000 in fact)? $947. Yep; just what I expected.

Really? :confused:

2-1B
02-19-2011, 11:36 PM
I liked Ken saying "I for one welcome our new computer overlords" in his Final Jeopardy answer.

What I didn't like was the drama queen effect of making sure the audience knew that Ken knew the answers, just that he couldn't ring in before Watson. Yeah, we got the point Ken.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-20-2011, 10:48 AM
So, where and how is Watson gonna blow his $1 million prize (the person I was watching the show with asked me if Watson met the elligibility requirements for winnings)? I'm guessing the Apple store, just to mess with IBM.

2-1B
02-20-2011, 10:53 AM
"strippers and co-caine."

Bel-Cam Jos
02-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Is that an upcoming category for the College Tournament? :eek: Yikes.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-20-2011, 01:49 PM
I only saw the Double Jeopardy and Final Jeopardy portions of the final day. I also liked Ken's comment about welcoming our new computer overlords.

At least the humans had a chance, as Watson did miss some questions. I could also see by the graphic that came up on the screen that it would have had the wrong answer on some that it didn't get in on first.

JimJamBonds
02-20-2011, 06:44 PM
So, where and how is Watson gonna blow his $1 million prize (the person I was watching the show with asked me if Watson met the elligibility requirements for winnings)? I'm guessing the Apple store, just to mess with IBM.He got a gig on Conan's show, I don't think its working out as well as Watson/IBM hoped.
http://teamcoco.com/content/andy-finally-destroys-watson-supercomputer-or-does-he

Bel-Cam Jos
02-21-2011, 10:39 AM
I only saw the Double Jeopardy and Final Jeopardy portions of the final day. I also liked Ken's comment about welcoming our new computer overlords.

At least the humans had a chance, as Watson did miss some questions. I could also see by the graphic that came up on the screen that it would have had the wrong answer on some that it didn't get in on first.Alex mentioned in the first "regular" Jeopardy Monday show that Watson had to reach a certain percent (70%, IIRC) of assurance in order to answer at all, so those low ones would've likely gone un-buzzed in.

"The humans had a chance." That's both funny, :D and overlordly frightening. :eek:

El Chuxter
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
They showed the possible answers, per Watson's calculations, on the bottom of the screen. Folks are leaving out how insanely random the possible answers were. For instance, one answer was in a category called "Beatles Characters," something about "his silver hammer swung down upon her head." Watson's answer was "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," which is technically wrong, since it was asking for the character's name, not the song title. But his second choice answer was "Frank Sinatra." Huh?

It also missed an insanely easy Harry Potter question that I would think geeks would've programmed into it. The question was basically just asking what HP character's name shouldn't be spoken.

I was impressed by the ability of Watson to decipher the English language. But this is light years away from the artificial intelligence it's being claimed to be.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
I was really hoping there'd be questions about Gary Kasparov [sp?], Terminator, HAL 2000, War Games, or The Computer Wore Sneakers.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Did it say anything about how Watson knew when to ring in? As humans, we can see the clue and anticipate the end of the sentence. I was wondering how Watson knew when to ring in.

El Chuxter
02-21-2011, 08:33 PM
They didn't say anything about how he knew to ring in, but they did say the answers were sent to him in text format at the same time they were being read to the contestants. (Which is another unfair advantage--a supercomputer can "read" a short text file in a much shorter time than it takes Alex Trebek to read the same file.)

Bel-Cam Jos
03-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Hilarious reply in last night's show: in a category called something like "Body Part in the Name," where questions would be "What is ARMistice?" or "What is LEGacy?" the guy got the Daily Double and was shown a small mouse-like creature. I had no idea (I was thinking Kangaroo Rat, but didn't see how a body part was there) that it was a CHINchilla, but he was struggling for an answer and said "What is a t**mouse?" then immediately turned to the female contestant and apologized.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Hilarious reply in last night's show: in a category called something like "Body Part in the Name," where questions would be "What is ARMistice?" or "What is LEGacy?" the guy got the Daily Double and was shown a small mouse-like creature. I had no idea (I was thinking Kangaroo Rat, but didn't see how a body part was there) that it was a CHINchilla, but he was struggling for an answer and said "What is a t**mouse?" then immediately turned to the female contestant and apologized.If he had realized that a titmouse is a bird, he could have saved himself the embarrassment.

2-1B
02-27-2014, 08:38 PM
how about That Jeopardy Guy Arthur Chu ???
I really like his approach which has ruffled some feathers...cherry picking the Daily Doubles, darting around the board between categories to prevent people from getting in a rhythm, clicking obnoxiously at his buzzer and then glaring at others when they ring in before him, etc. He routinely heads into Final Jeopardy with the game already clinched, blowing away his competitors.
8 days (and counting) for a total of $220+K as of today's episode. I hope he keeps winning! :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
02-28-2014, 09:27 AM
how about That Jeopardy Guy Arthur Chu ???
I really like his approach which has ruffled some feathers...cherry picking the Daily Doubles, darting around the board between categories to prevent people from getting in a rhythm, clicking obnoxiously at his buzzer and then glaring at others when they ring in before him, etc. He routinely heads into Final Jeopardy with the game already clinched, blowing away his competitors.
8 days (and counting) for a total of $220+K as of today's episode. I hope he keeps winning! :thumbsup:

Holy cow look who just came back!?!?!?!?!?

Bel-Cam Jos
03-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Yeah, that contestant hasn't had all run-away wins lately!

[whisper, whisper]

Oh. Really? Cool! ;)
(nice to hear from you here on the boards again)

JediTricks
03-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Chu almost lost it last night, I don't think he's going to have an exceptionally long run.

JimJamBonds
03-02-2014, 09:43 PM
(nice to hear from you here on the boards again)
I saw 2-1B on Saturday and told him of my surprise to his showing up here, he said it was just to post in this one thread.

2-1B
03-04-2014, 09:54 PM
JT that's true he nearly lost on Friday which I found interesting for 2 reasons. First because that other guy was indeed pushing him for a challenge but didn't wager everything in Final.
Second because Chu didn't wager enough to beat that guy by a dollar; he would have settled for a tie like he did earlier in his run. I think that would have been a mistake if the other guy tied him because it could have burned Chu in their next match. Regardless there wasn't a tie so on he goes as the sole champ. That other guy must have been kicking himself for not doubling down.
Battle of the Decades 1990s this week so Chu has a few extra days to study up for his next run.

BC3 nice to see you as well. :)

JediTricks
03-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Chu says those ties are part of his strategy, but yeah, that other guy was only held back by that gal being good as well, without a strong third, he could have taken him. I wonder if these battle of the decades are ruining Chu's momentum or helping his strategy.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-08-2014, 09:58 AM
I wonder if these battle of the decades are ruining Chu's momentum or helping his strategy.I believe that Jeopardy! purposely put these "tournaments" in between to ruin his streak, and lessen the public's distain for his tactics! I'll take "UN"likely Conspiracy Theories for $800, Alex.

JimJamBonds
03-11-2014, 09:01 PM
"Yooper" a term for those from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan aka the UP was the answer in the 'unique dialects' question yesterday. Yooper is used for 1) geographical area 2) people from said area and 3) type of dialect. Yooper of course isn't limited to the UP, its similar to the speech in Fargo.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Arthur Chu's run ended in his 12th game; he ended up with a little under $300K won. He looked very frustrated in that last game.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-01-2014, 08:12 PM
This week's their Battle of the Decades: 2000s. Don't know what day KJ's scheduled.

JediTricks
04-05-2014, 04:13 PM
It was the day after you posted, and he'll be back on again for the final tournament. Can't believe what a funny situation of "what goes around comes around" in this thread, here we are a decade later back talking about Ken Jennings on Jeopardy.

The way he dropped his buzzer at the end of Double Jeopardy, was that exhaustion or showoffmanship?

So it turns out Chu's episodes were shot in a pair of days well before the tournament was shot, and he claims he was beat by a factor of being tired and the show letting his opponent watch his strategy the previous day.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-30-2014, 11:32 PM
A new multiple-day champion, Julia, has reached a few milestones in the show's history: 20 days a winner (going for more next week), over $420,000 won (most by a female contestant).

Bel-Cam Jos
06-02-2014, 10:28 PM
I hope I didn't jinx her here; :sad: Julia Collins lost today, ending her run at 21 games (20 wins) and $428,100 in earnings.

JimJamBonds
06-03-2014, 09:03 PM
In yesterdays paper in the "this day in history" section it said that Ken Jenning's streak started a year ago.

JediTricks
06-03-2014, 11:09 PM
JINNNNNNX! How could you? Ok, not really, she looked tired and her momentum got scuttled when she lost $3k on that second daily double.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-04-2014, 06:33 PM
JINNNNNNX! How could you? Ok, not really, she looked tired and her momentum got scuttled when she lost $3k on that second daily double.It was the first time in several shows that she didn't have a lead going into FJ, let alone doubling up on her nearest opponent.

2-1B
06-19-2014, 02:37 PM
Is it just me or does Alex Trebek come across as a bit of a snob at times?

Generic examples in my mind would be when people give the wrong answer and he belts out "NO" as if the person is an idiot for being wrong. And then other times someone will give a wrong answer and Trebek will rub their nose in it about how they went the wrong way on an answer.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2014, 04:20 PM
That's sure the way Will Ferrell played him on SNL.

I don't like some of the judges' rulings on "close" responses. Case in point, the correct one should've been "What is the South China Sea?" but the clue included the word "South," and the contestant was thrown off by being wrong. Some of their pronunciation "errors" have been dubious, too.

But yeah, Mr. Trebek is often haughty in his tone.