PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Jedi notice decoy?

OC47150
07-02-2004, 09:12 AM
I was watching TPM for the first time this weekend and this thought came to me: If the Jedi are so wise and knowing, why didn't they immediately notice something was up with Padme and her decoy?

JEDIpartner
07-02-2004, 09:33 AM
The decoy was in place the moment the Jedi arrived on Naboo. At no time until the ruse was revealed was did the Jedi know anything about the switch. Remember, when Queen Amidala made her plea to the Senate, the only ones who saw her before and after were Anakin, Jar Jar and Palpatine.

OC47150
07-02-2004, 09:47 AM
That's true.

There were two instances of where the Jedi spoke to the decoy and the real Padme: on the way to Tatoonie (fake) and on the way back to Naboo (real). They could have noticed a difference at those times.

stillakid
07-02-2004, 10:26 AM
I was watching TPM for the first time this weekend and this thought came to me: If the Jedi are so wise and knowing, why didn't they immediately notice something was up with Padme and her decoy?

Because they hadn't seen Pirates of the Caribbean yet. :Pirate:

Rocketboy
07-02-2004, 11:46 AM
I was watching TPM for the first time this weekend and this thought came to me: If the Jedi are so wise and knowing, why didn't they immediately notice something was up with Padme and her decoy?Whoa, wait a sec...you have over 1,000 posts and you just now saw Episode I? :confused:

Kidhuman
07-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Whoa, wait a sec...you have over 1,000 posts and you just now saw Episode I? :confused:

Damn, you beat me to it.

OC47150
07-02-2004, 11:52 AM
No, I've seen it multiple times but this past weekend was the first time in a while.

Don't you notice something new and different?

Kidhuman
07-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Usually, but you didnt state that previously, so we were unsure.

Exhaust Port
07-02-2004, 12:56 PM
What is this Star Wars thing I keep seeing mentioned on this forum?

2-1B
07-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan knew there was a decoy all along.

JEDIpartner
07-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Did they? I'll have to watch it again. I just have a vague recollection of them arching eyebrows and smiling when it was revealed.

Oh, wait... now that you mention it, I recall that scene where Qui-Gon says, "The Queen trusts my judgment... perhaps you should, too." Okay... they knew! :D

stillakid
07-02-2004, 01:49 PM
What is this Star Wars thing I keep seeing mentioned on this forum?

I was wondering that myself. Are there some new movies or somethin'?

JediTricks
07-03-2004, 02:54 AM
When I saw this thread title, I could have sworn I had just recently responded to this question less than 2 weeks ago... and so I did!

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=334125&#post334125

The 'Xir
07-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Did they? I'll have to watch it again. I just have a vague recollection of them arching eyebrows and smiling when it was revealed.

Oh, wait... now that you mention it, I recall that scene where Qui-Gon says, "The Queen trusts my judgment... perhaps you should, too." Okay... they knew! :D

Yeah I think moments like this were suppossed to be sarcastic to imply that the Jedi knew who was who, but as Jedi protectorates they are obliged to keep up the ruse in case the Queens' inner circle is compromised by any would be attackers!

stillakid
07-19-2004, 01:42 AM
Yeah I think moments like this were suppossed to be sarcastic to imply that the Jedi knew who was who, but as Jedi protectorates they are obliged to keep up the ruse in case the Queens' inner circle is compromised by any would be attackers!

Not a chance. They didn't "know" until Portman herself stepped forward. There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that they knew beforehand. And the "look" that Obi and Qui trade is clearly one of "boy, she is pretty clever to pull that ol' decoy trick, isn't she? ;) " Nothing else. Remember, Lucas was writing this story for his kids and the weak-minded. He wasn't about to "layer" it with intricacies like the one you guys are proposing. Lucas isn't capable of being subtle like that.

JediTricks
07-20-2004, 01:22 AM
Uh, stilla, you know I don't like the prequels much, but I think even you have to admit the evidence from the script is clear enough to show that Lucas intended the Jedi to know it was her before she revealed her true self.

stillakid
07-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Uh, stilla, you know I don't like the prequels much, but I think even you have to admit the evidence from the script is clear enough to show that Lucas intended the Jedi to know it was her before she revealed her true self.

This passage I assume:

There is some debate as to whether Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon knew Padme was the real Amidala. Upon the reveal of the queen's identity, the script actually says "ANAKIN is stunned. OBI-WAN and QUI-GON give each other a knowing look."

While I see where you get that idea from, it doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does. First of all, based purely on the film, that idea definitely isn't obvious and isn't supported in the least by anything that came before that moment (her reveal). Second, the script line above just says they give a "knowing look." That could mean anything. That could mean that they give a knowing look that "wow, this chick is smarter than we thought she was." Or it could mean, "cool, there's one for each of us." It doesn't necessarily mean that they "knew" that Amidala was pulling a fast one on everyone else. And given that there is NO support for that idea in any of the previous interactions, I can't bring myself to believe that in the story, our Jedi heroes knew that Amidala was a decoy.

Having said that, I do believe that Lucas thinks us all dopey imbeciles and did intend for them to know about it. But his lack of setup for it results in a standalone reaction by the Jedi that holds no credibility. If we are to even remotely believe that that "knowing look" was the two of them nodding in the ;) sort of way, I'd be more willing to bet that it was one of those ;) where you don't want the other guy to think that you were so obtuse as to not get it. "Oh, yeah...of course it was her...he he he. I, uh, yeah...I knew it all along...didn't you?" :sur:

:ermm:

Turambar
07-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Having said that, I do believe that Lucas thinks us all dopey imbeciles and did intend for them to know about it. But his lack of setup for it results in a standalone reaction by the Jedi that holds no credibility. If we are to even remotely believe that that "knowing look" was the two of them nodding in the ;) sort of way, I'd be more willing to bet that it was one of those ;) where you don't want the other guy to think that you were so obtuse as to not get it. "Oh, yeah...of course it was her...he he he. I, uh, yeah...I knew it all along...didn't you?" :sur:

:ermm:

What the !@$%, Stilla. Are you implying that Lucas doesnt know how to make a movie! Where did such a preposterous notion come from?! I am outraged! Let's not foreget GL, afterall, gave life to Zsa Zsa Beenks.

stillakid
07-24-2004, 12:55 AM
What the !@$%, Stilla. Are you implying that Lucas doesnt know how to make a movie! Where did such a preposterous notion come from?! I am outraged! Let's not foreget GL, afterall, gave life to Zsa Zsa Beenks.

I wouldn't dare suggest a thing. I KNOW he knows how to make a movie. He even knows how to write, direct, and probably can shoot too. But can he do those things well? You be the judge.

CropDuster
07-26-2004, 03:41 AM
I think this should be tossed onto the towering heap of ambiguous prequel scenes requiring further clarification. It can easily be interpreted any number of ways. Perhaps, I ought to just be apathetic towards the actual story, and just enjoy the movie. Ahhhhh, there we go. Let's all get together for a big group hug and just enjoy the movie.

OC47150
07-26-2004, 08:10 AM
One concept I like about watching movies (especially the SW movies) is you sometimes notice something new for the first time. Which is the original reasoning behind this question.

Another item I noticed while watching TPM, during the attack on the hanger bay at the end, there is a guy in a yellow/off-yellow jumpsuit fighting with the Naboo guards. Never noticed him before.

stillakid
07-26-2004, 09:48 AM
One concept I like about watching movies (especially the SW movies) is you sometimes notice something new for the first time. Which is the original reasoning behind this question..

I agree. The same thing happened to me not too long ago: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24584

MASTER_JEDI
07-31-2004, 06:41 AM
Lucas even SAYS Ani was surprized to find out about the decoy, but the two Jedi knew it all along on the DVD comentary :rolleyes:...