PDA

View Full Version : OTC Millennium Falcon

JEDIpartner
07-02-2004, 11:10 PM
You want... you've got it!

Okay... I am really happy (for the most part) with this piece. Hasbro really pulled out the stops in retooling this mould to make it something special. The ship itself is based on the same cast as the vintage and POTF2 model. There are no real surprises there. The paint application isn't as dramatic as the prototype photos would lead you to believe. The top of the cockpit is not a dark grey in comparison to the off white of the rest of the vehicle. The paint looks pretty much as it should, so I just wanted to get that cleared up first since so many people had concerns over it.

There are about 3000 stickers that need to be applied to the hull and the interior. I don't think that any of them are necessarily ones that weren't around the times before. They may just have a little extra detailing.

I never got the POTF2 one so maybe these are just rehashed features. I don't know. Someone will have to tell me.

There are four digitally sampled sounds that are wired into four buttons in one of the side panels. The first features engine start-up noise and then a "white noise" flight sound. The engine lights kick on when the "white noise" sounds.The second actives a pulse cannon sound and the pulse cannon lights towards the front of the craft. The third is a thruster/hyperdrive sound which goes into the "white noise". I'll talk about this a little more in a second. The final sound is the "whine" that you hear as the Falcon is shown coming in before landing (think Yavin IV and Cloud City). Most of the sounds activate the forward floodlights, which are a VERY bright whitish-purple.

The engines are amazing. Where there used to be a recess where the stickers went is now a clear "corrugated" looking piece of plastic. It is surrounded by a grey light compartment that blend in nicely with the rest of the design. The engines feature two colours of lights. The main one is a vivid blue and the second, which is triggered with the thruster/hyperdrive sound, is white. Once the thrusters have stopped the white light shuts off and leaves the blue. Both are on during the thruster fire. It is just unreal.

There is now a missile where the front cargo dock is located. The missile isn't anything special. It's about three inches long and clear red plastic. The firing mechanism is located on the middle strip of plastic above it (between the cockpit and the radar dish). It triggers a proton torpedo sound when it fires the projectile. It still makes the noise even when there is nothing in the launch tube.

I cannot recall the colour of plastic used for the landing struts, quad cannon chair or the dejarik table on the POTF2 release. They were all dark blue on the vintage model. They are a brown colour here. The plastic seems a bit more fragile than the more pliable plastic used in the vintage so there are no cut out areas between the landing struts. They are now solid pieces of plastic.

The landing struts are still the same light grey they have always been. No change there.

Okay... here's where the big disappointment lies. It's that pesky cockpit. The cockpit no longer flips open to the side as it once did. It now raises like the canopy of the X-Wing. While that isn't terrible... it doesn't really lock in place. The canopy is made of a clear plastic and painted off-white to match the rest of the ship. The control panel (also dark brown like the other accessories) is now inserted into the canopy, which allows for better access to the cockpit.

UNFORTUNATELY the cockpit area is now like a scooped out toboggan. This causes the figures to move around in there quite a bit. They move around quite a bit unless they are Han and Chewie, both of whom need to be crammed into the cockpit, barely fitting and mostly unable to close the canopy. I used "flight to Alderaan" Han and "Bespin escape" Chewie. This is SO not good. I think Hasbro did the best they could with what the original mould would allow but it still isn't going to accomodate your figures. Well, not these two at any rate.

The packaging is the black starfield, double bar, Star Wars logo packaging that calls to mind the vintage line. The front panel shows a mock-up of the toy being chased by two TIEs in front of the Death Star. The TIEs and Death Star are movie shots. The top panel shows the toy "entering hyperspace". The bottom panel shows the toy leaving Cloud City (another movie still). The side panels show the toy with two Star Destroyers, a Super Star Destroyer and hoth in the background. There is an energy beam coming from Hoth... the ion cannon? The back of the box has a movie still of the ROTJ Death Star battle as wqell as several views of the toy and a selection of other toys that will be available from the line.

Overall the toy isn't bad. I will have to try another Han/Chewie combo to see if the cockpit is just crap or not. The rest of the toy is pretty stellar, though. I'd give it a solid B.

The packaging is sharp. I'd give that an A.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Nice thorough review, JEDIpartnr. Too bad about the cockpit since they apparently went to a bunch of trouble trying to make it work. I wonder if this will end up being the last version of the MF we see from the original mold.

Overall, it sounds great though. I plan on picking one of these up, and maybe one for my kids, though I'll have to see how hard it is to manage that cockpit. There's nothing worse than a 4 and 5 year old getting frustrated over trying to work a toy.

plasticfetish
07-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Right on! Great review JEDIpartnr. I'm really looking forward to this now.

and maybe one for my kids,
For sure I was gonna get one for the kid for X-mas, but now I'm pretty sure I'll need two.

Sounds like fun!

JediTricks
07-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Cool review. Sounds like they wasted more effort (read: money) retooling this 27-year-old mold than simply starting fresh. I'm now torn as to whether I'll be buying, the hyperdrive alone sounds really fantastic, and I never bought the POTF2 version. Still, this one is a dog for figures and that's always weighed heavily in my opinion.

JEDIpartner
07-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Yeah... It's really hard for me to make my plus/minus columns because there are so many pluses on this toy, but the big minus is the cockpit. For what it's worth, "Bespin escape" Leia and "Moisture farmer" Luke both fit in there with some room to spare. I think Chewie is just HUGE now and that particular Han has that oddly bent elbow and that may the problem.

One more thing I forgot to add... the missile isn't recessed into the cargo loader. It sticks out about an inch. It's not terrible, though as it's small or can be removed without any negative effect on the aesthetics of the toy.

Kidhuman
07-03-2004, 09:10 AM
I am wondering if the VOTC Han and Chewie would fit well into this one.

SOunds really great. I am gonna pick one up a few months down the road when I get some extra cash

dindae
07-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Wow those engines sound awesome! I'm drooling. :D

Turbowars
07-03-2004, 12:29 PM
The rear end will be the big selling point for me. That's the case in other points in my life.:D

JEDIpartner
07-03-2004, 02:45 PM
I was kinda wondering the same thing about the VOTC figures especially since they have more articulation and are not prone to the extreme jutting out of limbs.

I think that Hasblah kinda knew, going into this, that the figures would still have problems in the cockpit because they didn't even bother showing the interior of the cockpit empty much less with two figures in it!

Old Fossil
07-04-2004, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the great review, JediPartnr. I may have to pass on this ship, since I got the POTF2 version on clearance a few years back. It sounds like the sound effects are the same as those of the POTF2 Falcon, and while I don't like the cockpit canopy on mine, from your description I think the one on the OTC ship is a step backward from the previous versions.

I will miss those fantastic engine lights, though!

JediTricks
07-05-2004, 10:18 PM
JP, how does the missile launcher look without the missile? Is it ugly and obvious, or fairly well hidden?

Turbowars
07-05-2004, 10:22 PM
JP, how does the missile launcher look without the missile? Is it ugly and obvious, or fairly well hidden? Here you go,

One more thing I forgot to add... the missile isn't recessed into the cargo loader. It sticks out about an inch. It's not terrible, though as it's small or can be removed without any negative effect on the aesthetics of the toy.

JediTricks
07-05-2004, 10:31 PM
I thought he meant that about the missile, not the launcher. I'm a real stickler for ugly missile launchers, so I'm curious about exactly how much this thing shows.

JEDIpartner
07-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Ahhh... the area is moulded so it sits about a centimetre back from the end of the "pincers". There is a hexagonal design not unlike the ones moulded into the cylinders above the landing ramp and the one on the other side. There is just a little hole there. It's not terrible in my opinion.

Grievous
07-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the review! It sounds great, aside from the cockpit. Any chance you can post a picture of the cockpit with figures inside?

Kyle Katarn
07-06-2004, 05:37 PM
This Millenium Falcon sounds good, I'll buy one to see if its really cool.

JediTricks
07-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks JP!

JEDIpartner
07-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the review! It sounds great, aside from the cockpit. Any chance you can post a picture of the cockpit with figures inside?Unfortunately, I have nothing in the way of a digital camera nor do I have a scanner at the moment. I will, however, see if there is anything I might be able to do for you.

...and you're welcome, JT!

aceguide
07-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the review! Now if this wil only surface somehwere near me when I have some $$$!!! :eek:

Dark Marble
07-07-2004, 11:20 AM
At one point I heard that the new falcon would react to movements. Is this not the case anymore??? :(

JEDIpartner
07-07-2004, 12:14 PM
No... there is no motion sensor for the sounds.

dindae
07-31-2004, 06:04 PM
Just picked mine up and figured I would add a couple of notes to the review. The rear top panel now has a couple of extra points to attach it to the ship so you can turn it upside down without the ship coming apart (although the secret compartment cover with come loose and rattle around). Also the falcon only takes 3 AA batteries instead of 2 C which isn't a big deal but I never have C batteries but I constantly have AA lying around since everything seams to run on them now. The rear landing gear have been improved. The old version you push in the tabs and it was dependant on the strength of the plastic to snap back to lock into the out position. The new version has the tabs spring loaded. This should help the problem of the plastic warping or breaking over time and making the landing gear useless.

Turbowars
07-31-2004, 06:09 PM
Hows the engine lights? Are they really cool?

dindae
07-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Yes the lights and sounds are cool. Although I believe it is the same sounds as the POTF2 version. I haven't compared to be sure.

Kyle Katarn
07-31-2004, 11:30 PM
Nice review, I hope I'll get this in a later time, I think this vehicle is sweet but here in Mexico it is not easy to find the newest stuff so I'll buy in USA and I'm going to las Vegas next week.

JEDIpartner
08-02-2004, 08:04 AM
I was really impressed at how well the engine lights work and how well the forward floods light up. Aside from the cockpit "issues", the electronics make up for some of the things it lacks.

TheDarthVader
08-02-2004, 02:02 PM
I am going to buy this one and hope it is the last Falcon made by Hasbro. Thanks for the reivew. I am definitely going to get one! :D

bigbarada
08-03-2004, 03:31 PM
I think when Hasbro said that the cockpit had been redesigned to fit figures better, they were probably talking about the VOTC versions of Han and Chewie.

I still haven't decided whether to buy this new version or just invest in a vintage version. But if I see this in the store and have the spare cash, then I will most likely buy it.

aceguide
08-16-2004, 12:30 PM
I just picked up my new falcon and have to say that overall I am pleased. I have not had this ship in the collection since mom's garage sale many years ago...

Aside from the cockpit issues I give everything else an A+. The engines are super cool and the sounds are pretty decent too. Was a little disappointed that the training remote was not included.

Has anyone else had a bit of trouble with the gunner station? Mine is JUST like the vintage in that the seat won't stay put...

TheDarthVader
08-16-2004, 05:16 PM
I got one!!!!!!!!! I really did! :D I am very happy with it. This is the first MF in my collection (large scale). I am not going to open it unless I get the urge years from now. Target price $49.99, TRU $54.99 (just to let yall know)

B.
TDV

Lazer Brain
08-17-2004, 11:08 AM
well, i have been debating this for awhile, i will just have to get one and find out if i like it, thanks for all the info.
later

JON9000
08-19-2004, 11:50 PM
QUESTION PLS ANSWER.

I am wondering if this new falcon is significantly heavier than its POTF2 counterpart. The rear landing gears tend to wear out and wind up being unable to support the ship. Do the new lights add any weight?

dindae
08-20-2004, 07:42 AM
I didn't notice any weight difference but as I stated before the rear landing gear are improved. They are hard plastic and the tabs that lock it in place are spring loaded so there won't be any eventual warping causing them not to work.

JON9000
08-20-2004, 12:03 PM
I didn't notice any weight difference but as I stated before the rear landing gear are improved. They are hard plastic and the tabs that lock it in place are spring loaded so there won't be any eventual warping causing them not to work.
oops missed that. That is an awesome improvement. Thanks

JEDIpartner
11-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Just wanted to update... VOTC Han Solo and VOTC Chewbacca fit in the cockpit BEAUTIFULLY!

Devo
11-03-2004, 08:51 AM
I was actually looking for advice on whether or not to buy this if I have the POTF2 version - never thought of checking the reviews section. It sounds great, particularly the engine and matching coloured canopy.

Have you tried other figure combinations like Lando General and Nien Nunb or Bespin escape Leia and a version of Chewie or bespin Lando?

JEDIpartner
11-03-2004, 10:03 AM
I've not, yet. I'm sure Leia would fit in there just fine. Not sure about Lando, though. His arms may be posed a bit too wide to fit. :(

JediTricks
11-03-2004, 02:44 PM
If I can get POTJ Bespin Han into that cockpit alone, I am pretty sure I can get Saga/OTC Lando General in there as well. Nien Nunb is a different story though, he has the wider stance and out-hanging arms found on many POTF2 figures - it's worth a try though.

Honestly, I dislike the cockpit here, it's probably this set's weakest feature.

Kidhuman
11-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Has anyone ever tried to put vintage figures in it?

JediTricks
11-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Wouldn't they just slide around and lay down on their sides? Of course, that's what MOST figures that fit in there do anyway. ;)

Kidhuman
11-03-2004, 08:36 PM
I dunno what they would do, dont have a Falcon. :D :beard:

JediTricks
11-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Now you know. ;) The smooth curved shell bottom would not do well with their angular features, and unlike modern figures, their paint would probably rub off on the detail of the floor-seats.

Kidhuman
11-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Well, I guess for display purposes, Vintage might work better, as long as they are not jostled around and lose paint. I know I wouldnt play with it if I had it set like that.

JediTricks
11-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Honestly, you can barely see the figures inside the cockpit because the new control panel attached to the canopy takes up most of the view area.