PDA

View Full Version : Government warns against Internet Explorer

JediTricks
07-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Just heard about this one, apparently the department of Homeland Security is warning people away from using Internet Explorer due to the browser's massive security holes. I found this link off Yahoo that has the news story: http://enterprise-security-today.newsfactor.com/perl/story/25675.html

And other groups that are warning against IE from this CNN story: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/07/02/alternative.browsers.ap/index.html

Now, I know most of you think I've been a crackpot for speaking out against IE in the past, and some of you will probably chalk this post up to more of the same, but come on! Microsoft still hasn't closed these security holes, none of which are present on Mozilla, Netscape, or the other browsers out there.

sith_killer_99
07-03-2004, 06:50 PM
I'm still surfing with Mozilla Firebird...haven't upgraded to firefox or whatever. :D

LusiferSam
07-03-2004, 09:14 PM
I still like Netscape. If (or when) Netscape finally goes belly up I'll move to Mozilla. I hate IE, way too many security issues and its glitzy features don't much for me. And Apple still has yet to convince me Safari is better.

r2dee2
07-06-2004, 06:22 PM
My hubby read about that too JT, so I'm now using Mozilla.

The 'Xir
07-08-2004, 02:26 AM
It's funny you guys are talking about this, because I haven't been on-site in awhile and I just downloaded Mozilla about 5 min. ago, and I hadn't even heard anything bad about explorer..well except the usual, but nothing about the fore mentioned report! A freind just recommended it so, hopefully I am now surfing in shark-freeER waters! :classic:

The 'Xir
07-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Also, is anyone familiar with MAC-NET.com, and their products like AVG Anti-virus protection? They had alot of interesting and resourceful information about viruses and especially about spy/adware, but it could just be a bunch of BS to make you think you need their product! I actually discovered the site after doing a google search about "2o7.net" and "ads.specificpop.com" Cookies that had been put on my computer...all thanks to Mozilla! ;)

It's kinda weird! Here's a site putting popup ad cookies on your computer, and they sell Anti-virus/spy/ad ware protection? Hhhmmm let me think...I wonder if their adware prevents their own popups? :crazed:

If you get a chance check out the info on thier page about spy/adware (http://www.mac-net.com/266089.page) and the "BAD" files they recommend we should delete from our computers and let me know if you think it makes sense. Honestly! ThanX

JON9000
07-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Just heard about this one, apparently the department of Homeland Security is warning people away from using Internet Explorer due to the browser's massive security holes. I found this link off Yahoo that has the news story: http://enterprise-security-today.newsfactor.com/perl/story/25675.html

And other groups that are warning against IE from this CNN story: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/07/02/alternative.browsers.ap/index.html

Now, I know most of you think I've been a crackpot for speaking out against IE in the past, and some of you will probably chalk this post up to more of the same, but come on! Microsoft still hasn't closed these security holes, none of which are present on Mozilla, Netscape, or the other browsers out there.

Alright, I'm convinced. Here comes netscape

JediTricks
07-11-2004, 11:49 PM
I wonder if this is going to make a change in the browser wars again, a few years ago it was IE who was barely being used and NS who was browser king. I kinda doubt MS will ever release an IE with few or no security holes, whether intentional or not, MS seems determined to undermine the internet with their shoddy browsers.

I'm pretty surprised at how few folks on the net care about this issue, there have only been a few converts or even views on this one yet nearly EVERYBODY using IE is at risk in some manner.

BTW, for those who don't know, Mozilla is the core program of Netscape, Netscape is simply the dolled-up, advert-added, slower version of Moz. NS pays its programmers to work on the nonprofit, free Mozilla project, and in exchange gets to doctor up versions of Moz with their own badges, links, and various goodies.

mabudonicus
07-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I finally decided to get Firefox after seeing this thread start up, thanks JT.... it works really well, I'm glad folks like yourself and Vynsane were so adamant about it....

I found it funny, after finally getting Firefox, I told a few friends about it and was totally shocked at the "why bother" response I got :beard: you'd think a free, secure browser would be more popular (especially with the truly swiss-cheese consistency of IE)

.... the German government actually got rid of all microsoft programs on Governmet computers due to the security holes in Explorer and outlook (a year or two ago,obviously didn't make the liberal media), anymore about this belongs in the 'Pit though :D

JediTricks
07-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Yeah, the Japanese have been kicking MS to the curb lately too, I've heard. And they also arrested some MS Japan execs there for market manipulation, and shut down the MS Japan offices at that time. Yet people around here still seem to not care at all about IE's security holes.