PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow toys and star wars

derek
07-03-2004, 10:06 PM
apparently news is just breaking that sideshow collectibles has some sort of star wars license. sideshow is best known for making super high quality 12" figures, but also makes 1/4th scale figures, busts and statues, along with some props and lifesize busts.

i'm guessing sideshow will be making 1/4th scale(18" figures), as i just can't see hasbro letting them in on the 12 inch line, and gentle giant and master replicas are in the bust/statue and prop business.

sideshow's 18 inch figures cost about $200 each and are really nice, have some cloth clothing, but aren't very articulated. they're like big statues, with a few moveable joints.

......so would anyone pay $200 for a super-detailed 21" darth vader?

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/movies/sw_sdcc_hi.mov

here is a link to sideshow's 1/4th scale hellboy:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=18_figures&item=7104

Beast
07-04-2004, 06:19 AM
According to AFT, they're going to be doing 1/4th scale statues in Star Wars. :)

AFT Sideshow Star Wars Statues News (http://www.aftimes.com/cgi-bin/newspub/search.cgi?mpos=begin&category=1&keyword=breaking%20news123&submit.x=10&submit.y=5)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Ji'dai
07-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Whew, I'm glad it's the 1/4 scale statues; I don't collect them. I was getting nervous when I heard reports of them getting the license thinking they would be doing 12" figures.

I could just see them doing two versions of each figure they produce: "Jedi Luke - regular 12" figure has gloved hand. Sideshow Online Exclusive Jedi Luke has bare hands." Bah!

evenflow
07-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Actually I wish and hope that one day the do the 12 inch line. It would be much better than what Hasbro has done.

SirSteve
07-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Check the homepage for the official announcement.

derek
07-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Check the homepage for the official announcement.

bummer............no 12 inch figures.

i'm officially boycotting all hasbro products untill they let sideshow in on the 12 inch line. hasbro needs to make toys for kids and let the pros handle the adult collectibles.
:cry:

if JAAKS and sideshow can share the 12 inch line for van helsing, so can hasbro.

JediTricks
07-11-2004, 11:56 PM
I don't think Jakks Pacific had a choice in the 12" sharing, I think it was Universal who foisted it upon them.

As for Hasbro, I'd love to see them share the license, or sub-license it the way they did with Code 3 (though I hear that was foisted upon them by Lucas... foist foist foist!!!), but it seems like they won't. Dunno why, they've clearly driven the line into the ground and I think even they know it (or why else would they release only 3 figs in the 12" line this year?) but they just don't want to let go of the POSSIBILITY that they COULD use it down the road... which I think reeks.

Samuel Windu
07-12-2004, 12:40 PM
US$200?What a expensives :crazed:

dindae
07-12-2004, 01:07 PM
After seeing pictures of the Jack Sparrow 18" figure they did for Pirates I can only see this as a good thing. I don't collect 12" mainly because of the crappy scuplting. I don't see how with as many new tools for scuplting and as many good scuplters they can't get a good sculpt for a 12" head. They only seem marginally better than the basic line.

derek
07-12-2004, 03:28 PM
I don't think Jakks Pacific had a choice in the 12" sharing, I think it was Universal who foisted it upon them.

As for Hasbro, I'd love to see them share the license, or sub-license it the way they did with Code 3 (though I hear that was foisted upon them by Lucas... foist foist foist!!!), but it seems like they won't. Dunno why, they've clearly driven the line into the ground and I think even they know it (or why else would they release only 3 figs in the 12" line this year?) but they just don't want to let go of the POSSIBILITY that they COULD use it down the road... which I think reeks.

i post occasionally over at the sideshow forum, and some of the sculptors and sideshow employees post there as well. they were recently talking about licensee holders having final approval of the products, and how the licensee wants the best possible toy made, etc... i just don't know how lucasfilm lets hasbro continue to produce the crap that is it's 12 inch line.

why dosen't lucasfilm say to hasbro, you go make children's toys.....we're letting sideshow make the stuff that would appeal to adults, like a detailed 12 inch line. it wouldn't hurt hasbro's sales to kids/parents in wal-mart, as they've probably never heard of sideshow, and at $45 a figure, it would only appeal to adult collectors, who mostly aren't buying the current 12 inch line anyway.
:confused:

Beast
07-12-2004, 03:39 PM
After seeing pictures of the Jack Sparrow 18" figure they did for Pirates I can only see this as a good thing. I don't collect 12" mainly because of the crappy scuplting. I don't see how with as many new tools for scuplting and as many good scuplters they can't get a good sculpt for a 12" head. They only seem marginally better than the basic line.
NECA is the company that is doing the 18" Captain Jack Sparrow figure, not Sideshow. And just remember folks, these are going to be 18" figures with leather, fabric, metal costumes. Which means around $250+ each. Which is why it would have been nice to hear NECA having grabbed this. They wouldn't have leather, fabric, or metal clothes.....but they'd be only around $40. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

dindae
07-12-2004, 03:49 PM
NECA is the company that is doing the 18" Captain Jack Sparrow figure, not Sideshow.

Whoops. Oh well anything will be better Hasbro. Although at $250 I would rather have a scale millenium falcon for my 3 3/4.

Ji'dai
07-12-2004, 08:26 PM
why dosen't lucasfilm say to hasbro, you go make children's toys.....we're letting sideshow make the stuff that would appeal to adults, like a detailed 12 inch line. it wouldn't hurt hasbro's sales to kids/parents in wal-mart, as they've probably never heard of sideshow, and at $45 a figure, it would only appeal to adult collectors, who mostly aren't buying the current 12 inch line anyway.
:confused:

The main reason I don't buy many 12" figures is not due to quality issues, but primarily due to cost. I don't like paying $20 per figure as it is. I sure would not pay twice that amount, which is in the range Sideshow charges for it's figures. Plus Sideshow has gotten into the bad habit of offering two different versions of their popular figures; one is usually an "exclusive accessory" edition. Same damn doll, but the exclusive version comes with some new accessory the regular version doesn't have.

Jayspawn
07-13-2004, 08:44 AM
I'm excited about the Star Wars Statues Sideshow has on tap. An 18" statue or two would look awesome in my collection.

JediTricks
07-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Honestly, I can't imagine why LucasLicensing doesn't crack down on the Hasbro 12" line, it's disgraceful. My fear is they think it's acceptable, or they're just too lazy to care about it. I think Code 3 got their sub-license because someone at Lucas liked the Code 3 items and had LucasLicensing force Hasbro to agree to a sub-license... too bad there's nobody there who feels that way about Sideshow.

derek
07-16-2004, 04:37 PM
The main reason I don't buy many 12" figures is not due to quality issues, but primarily due to cost. I don't like paying $20 per figure as it is. I sure would not pay twice that amount, which is in the range Sideshow charges for it's figures. Plus Sideshow has gotten into the bad habit of offering two different versions of their popular figures; one is usually an "exclusive accessory" edition. Same damn doll, but the exclusive version comes with some new accessory the regular version doesn't have.

i have no problem at all with the sideshow exclusive figures...as i pass on them all. i could care less about some useless-meaningless accessory. but i'd happily pay $45 for a sideshow 12 inch star wars figure.

hasbro is really screwing up here. i've said it before(well actually typed it) :D and i'll say it again. hasbro should put their 12 inch figures on blister packs, and sell them for $10-12 each like they do with their GI Joe line. they could better cater to kids and adult collectors who don't want to pay $30 for a $10 figure in a $20 box! lol

then let sideshow make the adult high-end line. limit their sales to speciality shops and their on-line branches. hasbro's sales wouldn't be affected one bit, and they could maybe even hit sideshow up for a 10% portion of sales in the star wars line.

derek
07-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Honestly, I can't imagine why LucasLicensing doesn't crack down on the Hasbro 12" line, it's disgraceful. My fear is they think it's acceptable, or they're just too lazy to care about it. I think Code 3 got their sub-license because someone at Lucas liked the Code 3 items and had LucasLicensing force Hasbro to agree to a sub-license... too bad there's nobody there who feels that way about Sideshow.

it's gotta be that both hasbro and lucasfilm think of these only as children's toys, not actual collectibles. the problem is if they do see it this way, they should be selling them for about $10 each.

JediTricks
07-16-2004, 08:51 PM
I could see $15, $10 for carded Joes is an unlicensed toy, licensing costs jack up prices, but no more than $15, especially at the quality lately. I'm still shocked that anybody at Hasbro could think the new OTC 12" Stormtrooper's headsculpt doesn't look like pizza dough pulled down over the guy's head, and how nobody at LucasLicensing said anything about it. Looks like Mush-Mouth from Fat Albert & the Cosby Kids went and joined the Empire (ok, it's really the Donald hat, but the reference doesn't work that way ;)).

Beast
07-22-2004, 07:32 AM
Well, pictures of Luke and Han are up now. They're really nice, but not $300 nice. The Hasbro 12" line may have some problems, but I don't really think it's all that bad. There is just as many hits as there is misses in the line, and I think Hasbro does an acceptable job all around. Not perfect, but not terrible.

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=1856
http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=12317

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
07-22-2004, 10:44 AM
$300 is a little much for those. They do look great -no complaints except for the price. $200 or so would be a little more acceptable.

aceguide
07-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Can anyone report on the details of these figs. Are they in cloth clothes? Do they have any articulation? Are they just statues?

I have to say this must be the year of the Han - VOTC and now this. Wow!

derek
07-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Can anyone report on the details of these figs. Are they in cloth clothes? Do they have any articulation? Are they just statues?

I have to say this must be the year of the Han - VOTC and now this. Wow!

they are highly detailed statues with real cloth clothes on them. some of the arms have a bit of articulation, but that's mainly just so they can get the clothes on them. these are not toys, they are statues with real clothes on them.

i've seen their dracula in person, and it's freaking nice, but it's not a toy, more like something you would put on a coffee table.:)

Turambar
07-23-2004, 06:32 PM
The han looks great! Why is the head on the luke so large?

derek
07-25-2004, 02:10 PM
The han looks great! Why is the head on the luke so large?

if i have any complaints about sideshow, it's that all their figure's heads are too big, and the paint jobs could be better.

dr_evazan22
07-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Maybe i missed it, but did they give an idea on retail price?

JediTricks
07-25-2004, 10:25 PM
They told Steve $225 to $350, but that's not set in stone, just a ballpark figure.

mini-rock
08-06-2004, 05:43 PM
FYI the 1/4 scale (17") Luke figure is up for preorder at Sideshow and SWS. The p-tag is $250 and is expected to ship in 2Q 05.

Got my order in. :)

JosephSI
08-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Just as an FYI SI has the Luke on pre-order this week only for $199.95. SI is an authorized retailer of Sideshow.