PDA

View Full Version : Littering and Cigarettes

stillakid
07-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Maybe this has been brought up before, I just couldn't find it.

What's up with smokers thinking that it's alright to just toss their butts out windows and onto the streets or sidewalks? When did that become okay? Clearly their dumb enough to put these things in their mouths so it's not a stretch to realize that they don't know any better when it comes to littering, but shouldn't cops be fining these people left and right? There's a bundle to be made here. :greedy:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-04-2004, 11:36 AM
I agree, Stilla. Not only do these cancer sticks pollute the air, make people stink (even those who don't smoke them end up stinking if you're around a smoker!), but they feel the need to litter. I mean, if you want to have the gullability to pay for your early death, hey, more power to ya and if you're in the mood to waste money, drop me a check and i'll thank you for it, but c'mon, just throw out your damned smokes and packaging. Some sort of fining would be hella awesome. It would serve'em right. "Smokers have Rights" Yeah, i think not. They have the right to quit polluting my world! :crazed:

LusiferSam
07-04-2004, 12:11 PM
This is one of those in grained habits of smokers, like most people hold a cigarette between their fore and middle finger not with their fore finger and thumb. And it's an old habit, per WW2. I see tons of smokers flick ash out car windows and toss the butt when their done. I use to see piles of butts out the building on university campuses, but most seem to be cracking down on smoker and their "rights."
As for why smokers aren't fined, a cigarette butt is smaller than the end of my little finger (i.e. hard to see) and to fine a smoker littering you've got to see them doing it.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-04-2004, 03:04 PM
I used to smoke and I never threw my butts on the ground. I had this lil system in which I'd flick the cherry and all the tobacco out of the cigarette, then put the butt in my pocket or backpack pocket if I had no pockets on my clothes, then just throw them away when I came upon a garbage can. Some of my friends didn't believe me so I'd pull out a buttload of butts from my pocket.

I hate littering and I hate when people throw their butts on the ground...it's just plain laziness and selfishness at it's worst! :mad:

sith_killer_99
07-04-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm with D, I smoked for 9 years. I started flicking the cherry off and pocketing my butts shortly after I enlisted, everyone in the Army seemed to be doing it. When you have to do police calls on a regular basis....running around buildings and parking lots picking up trash, I guarantee you will think twice before throwing butts down again.

Anyway, I quite over 2 years ago and don't regret it one bit...though I still miss it from time to time. :(

Kidhuman
07-04-2004, 10:59 PM
I agree, while I dont stick them in my pocket, I try to put them in an "outdoor" ashtray(at work or outside of buildings) or something. I have an ashtray in my car that gets dumped everytime in the gas station. It is littering. I am guilty of ashing out of my car window though. I smoke with my left hand, so they go out the window, but I will always douse them in the ashtray when done.

Bobby Fett
07-04-2004, 11:36 PM
While we're on the subject, how about people who throw chewing gum on the sidewalk?

It's particularly aggravating at this time of the year. It sticks to your shoe and then transfers to the carpeting in your car or in your house. And the really irritating part is that you probably don't even notice until it's too late.

Exhaust Port
07-05-2004, 12:10 AM
I worked at an amusement type park during the summers of college. About half of the season workers in the Operations department had the singular job of walking around throughout the day to pick up butts. It's revolting that so many people were required just to clean up this mess. Sure each one is small but after 50,000 or more people spend 8 hours on property those things pile up real quick. Some thought they were doing every one a favor by at least flicking the butts into the bushes and stuff not thinking that later employees would have to rummage through those bushes to pull them out.

2-1B
07-05-2004, 12:33 AM
I will always douse them in the ashtray when done. You don't want to douse them in the ashtray. You want to go home and rethink your life. lol

I'd pull out a buttload of butts from my pocket.Was this buttload of butts pulled out of your butt (back) pocket by chance ? :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Was this buttload of butts pulled out of your butt (back) pocket by chance ? :p

He'll be here all week folks. Tip your waitress. And don't liter your cigarette butts. Put them in the trash can or the designated ash trays. Thank you, come again!! :crazed:

2-1B
07-05-2004, 04:22 AM
And don't liter your cigarette butts.

Yes indeed - it takes a buttload of butts to fill a Liter and that's just gross ! :crazed:

Kidhuman
07-05-2004, 08:41 AM
MMMMMMMMMMM.....Tobacco Mountain Dew....yummy

Deoxyribonucleic
07-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Was this buttload of butts pulled out of your butt (back) pocket by chance ? :p

:crazed: :Pirate: lol lol lol

Dr Zoltar
07-07-2004, 03:51 PM
I hate it as well as 1) it's littering and 2) it starts fires. It's been really dry in the Pacific Northwest these past few years in the summertime, and driving home from work I see many areas along the freeway blackened from fire.

In the Seattle area there has been created a new litter hotline that one can call to reporter litters. It's 1-866-LITTER-1. Anytime I see someone pitch a cigarette butt out their car window I call and report them. I really don't care if they chose to smoke, just don't litter!