PDA

View Full Version : What other toy lines do you collect? How come?

Tycho
07-04-2004, 04:01 PM
I've recently crossed over to collecting several toys I never thought I'd buy - but am quite happy with myself as well.

Here's what I collect and why (this is sort of therapeutic for me to rationalize it, OK?):

Star Trek: I collected SW since I was little, and liked Star Trek TOS since back when I caught the first adventures of Captain Kirk in re-runs. So I got into TNG and when Playmates started, there were only 10 figures and it felt like collecting SW (which was not available in 1992 when Playmates launched). I limited myself to the basic figure wave size, and save for DS9's larger figures in all-plastic, I never went for First Contact or any ST size changes. ArtAsylum prompted me to continue collecting to this day due to their superior quality. I'd buy more if only the line didn't struggle so and they could profitably produce it (especially DS9 figures). So Star Trek began all my modern collecting. I buy what I like and am not a completist.

Star Wars: self-explanatory. I started with mass-quantities of the basics for dioramas. I got into 12" when the Han TaunTaun showed up, and I went back and got everything I liked from this collection. Playskool, CW Animated, Unleashed - they've all prompted me to buy sideline collections. I'm very happy I did. Star Wars is by 4 times or more my largest toy collection.

Terminator - probably one of my most favorite movie series, McFarlane's figures from the last few years were superb. I am not a completist, but only bought the ones I really liked, including some of Arnold with his sunglasses off (the harder variation). I have Sarah Conner and the Termamatrix. I only wish they'd go back and do Kyle Reese with his shotgun on a rope under his trenchcoat to fight my Exoskeleton Terminator. I didn't buy all of the T3 line, but I got 2 T-1000's to display normal as well as blown apart.

Transformers - only this month I purchased the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime and right now I have to say this is like my most favorite toy I own! I will be collecting just the Alternators - Smokescreen, Sideswipe, Hound, and one other Hasbro recently announced. They're the super-realistic cars all on scale to one another. I only hope that Hasbro will do the same with the Decepticons and make to scale a Starscream jet - I know it'll be like another $65 or something like how Optimus Prime was - but it'd be worth it. These "figures" - because they are figures are every bit as poseable as Star Wars or GI Joe, plus they transform into super-realistic automobiles. That's the catch. I'd never buy most of the other stuff Transformers puts out - but they caught me with the good stuff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff I would have collected:

GI Joe - I'd buy their most realistic stuff, at the small scale and build fleets and squadrons, and I'd pay out a lot for a complete USS Flag aircraft carrier for a base ship. But I don't have the money nor the room - nor do I think I ever would! It'd take a 2nd house!

Waterworld - I actually tried to buy a complete collection off E-bay. I mostly want to set up a trimaran fighting off smokers on waverunners because I love the water and have been an amateur jet ski racer for 7 years. I love this movie since it's so in touch with one of my other favorite past times (only I just shoot people with a super-soaker tied to my handlebars and don't make the game quite so lethal). Anyway, at some point I might do this because making dioramas with waves (using model railroad "fake water") looks really cool and challenging, and I'd try to make the water deeper than in any model railroad. With some stuff I want to try for Star Wars with Naboo and Kamino I'll get my chance, but Waterworld will afford me a chance to make something that looks closer to my hobbies and interests in real life.

Universal Soldiers / 21st Century Soldiers - again, I'd love to do realistic full battlefield dioramas with these forces which custom brands afford you the opportunity to have figures of MacArthur, Rooseveldt, and even Adolf Hitler. I'd do:

The Last of the Mohicans

The Revolutionary War with General Washington and many characters as close as possible to the heroes from "The Patriot."

The Civil War with General Lee, Colonel Chamberlain, and many characters from Gettysburg!

The Lincoln County War with Billy the Kid and the Regulators.

The Shootout at the OK Corral with Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday vs. The Cowboys.

World War I with machine guns being towed on wagons pulled by horses, and the turn-of-the-century warfare exhibited.

World War II with both the European and Pacific theaters.

Vietnam complete with The A-Team and Rambo probably.

The Persian Gulf War / Operation Iraqi Freedom with Colin Powell and George Bush even (with a John Kerry figure fighting him!)

The Dominion Wars - with Captain Sisko and ....oh I forgot that I'm making that already and it's not part of the history of warfare in reality....is that right? Oh. OK.

Anyway...

That's why I like this stuff - to build massive battles. Don't tell anyone, but I'm trying to obtain weapons of mass destruction to make my mushroom clouds look more realistic and have some practical use for GI Joe figures with gas masks...

Oh. I'd get

The A-Team
The Dukes of Hazzard
Knight Rider
Miami Vice
The Shield
Smallville (but better ones than what they made - only Clark looked decent)

and possibly a few others.

Alien and Predator interests me, but not yet so much to start collecting them. They (Kenner) did make some awesome products though - and McFarlane has been doing a great job as well.

I could be really sick in the head or I could just know how to have a good time if I had large amounts of real estate and a lot of money.

How about you?

What do you collect?
What would you collect?
What would you do if you were unrestricted with your hobbies in the extreme?
How close to coming to that in reality will it be possible?

Hellboy
07-04-2004, 06:05 PM
With Star Wars collecting being rather slow of late I've been spending more $ elsewhere than usual. Other than Star Wars I collect....

-Kill Bill: These are probably some of the coolest movie figures I've ever seen. The likeness to the characters in the film is amazing and some of them even come with "blood spraying action", how cool is that? Now we just need the rest of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad to get produced and I'll be very happy.

-Hellboy: Well I absoulutely love the comics and the movie was awesome so how could I pass up these cool figures. They're quality all the way and I'm looking forward to picking up future waves. Hopefully this line will continue.

-Justice League 4": I pick and choose with this line. I'm only interested in the main characters and pass on most of the gimmicky armor type figures. Overall the line is pretty weak and I would collect more of it if they gave us a better variety of heros rather than multiple versions of the main charcters in ugly outfits.

-Justice League 10": Overall I like this line better than it's smaller counterpart. Sure they're basically statues but they look great and appear exacty as they do in the cartoon.

-Batman: Again I pick and choose with the Batman lines. I'm not interested in an underwater or arctic Batman or whatever else they imagined up so they can milk the main character to death. Give us more of the supporting cast and/or villains and I'll spend more. The upcoming Hush and Dark Knight Returns lines look promising.

-The Incredible Hulk: I only buy the figures I find to be really cool looking and the villains. Unfortunately the villains always seem to be short packed.

-Marvel Legends: I've been picking up a few of these here and there. Mostly the figures of charcters I love from the comics. It boils down to whether I think the representation of that charcter is good though.

sith_killer_99
07-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Well, I used to collect the Movie Maniacs and a few others. That was back in the day when my wife and I were DINKS (Double Income No Kids). Now that she is a stay at home mom I have cut out collecting anything Non-SW. I still have a few DC Direct figs that I will never get rid of and I bought my wife a few Buffy figs. But it's only Star Wars for me. I suppose I could always get a second job, but then I wouldn't have time for the hunt. :D On a side note I sold off most of my Movie Maniacs figs a while ago.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Obviously, SW, which I started with the early bird special way back in 1977. When the modern stuff hit in 1995, it wasn't hard to collect everything, but now I'm concentrating on the 3 3/4" line including vehicles, etc.

Anything related to monster movies: Universal, Hammer, Godzilla & kin, focusing mostly on the Sideshow 12" line (now that the 8" line is kaput) but buying the occassional vintage toys when the price is right. I haven't bought many of the modern horror characters, because they just don't appeal to me in the same way, though I'm sure that eventually I will get some of them. The only modern horror stuff I've been snapping up is Hellboy, which I loved from day one. I've bought a few of the Van Helsing toys, not because I thyink they're great, or that the movie was anything better than okay, but because they're dropping into clearance prices, and i know that in 5-10 years, i'll wish I had picked them up. I don't have any of the Hellraiser figures yet, either, but plan to get them. Both waves hit when I was in a freelance income lull, so I had to let them go.

Between these two areas, dvds and books, I'm spread pretty thin. I do occassionally buy other old pre-1980s toys more for nostalgia and or design considerations. I've recently taken an interest in the old Marx army men, etc., but even on ebay, they are not cheap, so my collecting is more representative, than serious.

I used to collect the Marvel comics action figures that came out in the early-mid 1990s, but stopped once the SW stuff really took off. I gave all of those to my kids. My son is loving them now. I'd collect the new Marvel figures--I'm forgetting what they're called (Ghost Rider, Namor, Nick Fury, Colossus--that line)Ultimates? But don't want to start up with anything new again.

I also collected the Batman the Animated series line when it started, but concentrated on the representative versions of Batman, Robin, and then whichever villains they made before it devolved into "Soup Kitchen Armor Batman" and the like. I stopped and then resented not picking up the sets that had Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, etc., but not enough that I regret it. These I have not passed on to my kids.

That's mostly it. There used to be more sporadic sets in there like "Where the Wild Things Are," but when my comic book store never bothered to get me the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon set I pre-ordered, this sort of thing has pretty much stopped with me. I love the Kill Bill toys, but I'm not buying them. The last individual figure from a line I bought was the demon from "Big Trouble In Little China," but that fits in with my monster movie toys.

Tycho
07-05-2004, 02:29 AM
Well, I'm learning from you guys that I don't really know my Superheroes that well.

B'Omarr: Big Trouble in Little China (w. Kurt Russel) was one of my favorite films in the olden days. I'm going to have to see if I can buy that movie on DVD! (heck, I'll get it on VHS if they don't make it). That film was a classic!

HellBoy: who are the Justice League characters? Is that Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, etc. or is that X-men, Spider-man, Hulk, and so forth? I guess one is DC and the other is Marvel. I don't know other characters as well as the ones that really took off - like I couldn't tell you about the SilverSurfer or Aquaman that much. They'd probably be cool to learn of, but it's so hard for new super heroes to break out after you've got characters like Spider-man that stole the genre. X-men's heroes and villains just about cover anyone and everyone who's powers you could possibly imagine.

Do you guys like anything from the Spiderman toy line, BTW? I've glanced at it (love the movies) but it seems like a lot of junk but where you could pick a few good items out of it. Is The Hulk staying strong, or are stores just conned into carrying that line long past the time the movie's been out of theaters? It seemed to me that before the movie, Hulk was sort of quietly in retirement.

Ji'dai
07-05-2004, 07:48 PM
McFarlane - I buy whatever catches my eye from time to time. They make some of the coolest figures I've ever seen, but I'm only a casual collector. My first Spawn figure was a Series 2 Angela from '95. If Kenner hadn't released Star Wars figures that summer, I'd probably be a full-time McFarlane collector today. I'll probably pick up some of the Monsters 3 and the Infernal Parade this year.

LEGO - I started collecting LEGO again just before they got the Star Wars license. I was buying older sets on eBay that I missed or wanted when I was a kid. I wish I had the room to do a huge town layout.

Simpsons - I love this show, it's probably the greatest animated series on television, but I decided not to collect the figures when they first came out. I did buy the Halloween playsets, however; and a few figures here and there that I thought were cool. The line is now cancelled, but I've heard that Playmates is going to re-release the original core figures this year for those that missed out the first time. I will probably get them.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - I got hooked watching the syndicated re-runs and then went out and bought all the figures late last summer, mostly on eBay. I probably wouldn't have done this but I was suffering from major toy withdrawal since Hasbro's SW distribution had been way off kilter in 2003. (I didn't start finding new Star Wars figures until late Autumn). The Buffy action figure line was cancelled last summer, but it was resurrected by Diamond Select and new figures were released this year. It's a small line though, two waves this year, about a dozen figures.

Charmed - SOTA Toys got the license for figures based on the hit TV show. I'm only a very casual viewer of the syndicated reruns, but the figures were pretty cool and are the same scale as Buffy. The four Charmed figures each come with a highly detailed section of their house's attic which connects to form a large diorama.

Hellboy - Never read the comics, but loved the movie. The figures are very cool. I passed on them when I first saw them since I hadn't seen the movie yet, but was able to get Hellboy with Corpse, Rasputin, Abe, and Sammael. The Hellboy variants in this line are ridiculous and I didn't bother tracking them down. I've heard rumors that series 1 figures will be repacked with series 2 so maybe I'll see them again :)

I've collected other crap here and there over the years, especially after Kenner cancelled the vintage Star Wars line. I read and collected GI Joe comics in the 80s until the storyline got strange - Cobra-la(?!). I concentrated mostly on the Cobra stuff, but have a few of the cooler Joes and vehicles.

New Obssessions:

Kill Bill - After finally seeing Vol. 1, I will probably pick up the figures now. They are pegwarmers here so hopefully I can get them on sale or clearance soon.

Ghostbusters - Loved this movie and the figures look sweet. These are a must buy.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Loved this movie too, hopefully NECA does a good job with the figures.

I just finished building a couple of wall-mounted display cases for my Star Wars figures. So far, I've got my POTF2/Episode 1 loose collection in them. Now to open the POTJ, SAGA, and Clone Wars figures :p

B'Omarr Monkey
07-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Well, I'm learning from you guys that I don't really know my Superheroes that well.

B'Omarr: Big Trouble in Little China (w. Kurt Russel) was one of my favorite films in the olden days. I'm going to have to see if I can buy that movie on DVD! (heck, I'll get it on VHS if they don't make it). That film was a classic!

HellBoy: who are the Justice League characters? Is that Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, etc. or is that X-men, Spider-man, Hulk, and so forth? I guess one is DC and the other is Marvel. I don't know other characters as well as the ones that really took off - like I couldn't tell you about the SilverSurfer or Aquaman that much. They'd probably be cool to learn of, but it's so hard for new super heroes to break out after you've got characters like Spider-man that stole the genre. X-men's heroes and villains just about cover anyone and everyone who's powers you could possibly imagine.

Do you guys like anything from the Spiderman toy line, BTW? I've glanced at it (love the movies) but it seems like a lot of junk but where you could pick a few good items out of it. Is The Hulk staying strong, or are stores just conned into carrying that line long past the time the movie's been out of theaters? It seemed to me that before the movie, Hulk was sort of quietly in retirement.

Big Trouble In Little China is available on DVD and very cheaply. I bought it about a year ago for under 10 bucks at Best Buy. There aren't any extras though.

The Justice League in the comics has a rotating cast, but the newish cartoon and the toys based on it revolve around Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl. These are essentially the big guns of DC Comics, though Hawkgirl is more second string. It would be like Marvel's Avengers with a roster of Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, Wolverine, Thor, Iron Man, etc.

I don't know much about the 6" line of Spider-Man toys, other than the fact that my son is drawn to them, but always ends up picking something else over them when decision time comes around. He does have the 12" super articulated one, which is a really nice figure, though more complicated poses seem to involve the same skills necessary for solving the rubicks cube, so his gets much more limited posing. The 24" one looks really good. My son is also drawn to a a humongous 3 ft. version that seems to be a Wal-Mart exclusive. I think the appeal is that it's the same size he is (just about) though that might make it hard to play with. It's only $30, so he may end up with it on his birthday in September.

evenflow
07-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Well....

1. Star Wars - all the figures (not into vehicles unless they come with exclusive figures)
2. Kubricks - mainly Star Wars, but also Back to the Future
3. Marvel Legends
4. Spider-Man Classics - just the Villians to go with the Legends (no Ultimate Universe stuff)
5. Marvel Minimates - no ultimate stuff
6. LOTR minimates - (have not found any yet, but will be buying them)
7. Masters of the Universe - well what can i say, I will be trying to get the new figures from Europe

Kidhuman
07-05-2004, 10:34 PM
None, I cant afford them.

I did try to get all the Robotech action figures on Ebay at one point, but after two years I sold them becuase I needed room for my SW collection.

I do have some Simpsons figures as well as all the Yellow Submarine figures too.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-06-2004, 12:56 AM
I bought the first wave of Yellow Submarine figures as well. I never saw the second wave, and kept waiting for them to show up at KB, but to no avail.

I do wish I had picked up the Bob and Doug MacKenzie figures. They had tons of them at KB, more than everyone possibly interested in them in the area I was living in at the time could possibly need. I kept putting them off. One day there were dozens. Literally, the next day, there were none. i don't know where unwanted toys end up if they don't sell at KB. Is there a lower circle of toy Hell for them to languish in?

Hellboy
07-06-2004, 01:50 AM
B'Omarr- Sadly I had a very similar experience with the Bob and Doug MacKenzie figures. I don't know how many times I passed on these thinking I'd pick them up later and then they just seemed to disappear. :cry: I'll have to hunt those down one of these days too.

Tycho- I don't buy anything from the Spider-Man line mostly because its all Spider-Man and I like a bit more variety. Thats one of the reasons SW is so appealing to me. If the line incorporated more of his enemies I might be interested in those though. As for the Hulk line I wasn't really interested in the movie figures, mainly because the quality wasn't that great, but some of the stuff in the current line is based more off of the comics and are rather nice. Most recently I got the huge Mecha-Hulk that was based on artwork by one of my favorite comic book artists Arthur Adams. Still looking for those short packed villains Abomination and Absorbing man though.

Oh BTW, Big Trouble in Little China is one of my favorites too and a true classic. It is available on a 2-Disc SE DVD in addition to the one you have B'Omarr and has some pretty good extras like commentary from Carpenter and Russell, deleted scenes, a featurette, interviews, artwork and all that good stuff. A must buy in my book. :classic:

LTBasker
07-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Let's see...

Star Wars: Obvious reasons..I saw it when I was real little and was hooked from then on. My mom and aunt actually helped me try and track down some vintage figures but we didn't find any, then one day an Insider came and as I was looking through it I saw the new figures being advertised. I was in disbelief that I no longer had to search.. Been addicted ever since. :p

Star Trek: I was actually already collecting the Trek figures before Star Wars, I actually had gotten some of the Galoob 4" TNG figures in the 80's. I stopped collecting ST around the time of '95 because Star Trek interest in my family was waning (they didn't like DS9 much) and it was hard to keep up between that and the Star Wars figures. I do want to get some AA figures, but due to the scarsity (sp?) of the figures I want, and the higher prices...it's been tough. So far I haven't gotten any AA figs but have been trying.

Batman: Due to growing up on the old series, Batman '89/Returns and the animated series I of course was addicted to the toys already from the early Toy Biz figures. When figures for Batman, Batman Returns and the animated series came out, I just about got everybody I could. I didn't collect them very much around the time of 'Forever though because of SW and alot of the gimmicks just stopped interesting me. From Batman Forever/& Robin I just got the figures that looked most like the characters and ones that were kind of appealing. Only villain I actually got between those two movies was the silvery Mr. Freeze because it actually LOOKED like he did in the movie, even though I was only 10 I didn't want that gimmickized crap. :p

Batman (Today): On SW hunts last year I was noticing the new 6" Batman figures. Well I had just started getting JL and ML figures so I figured I needed some Bat figures that were in scale with them. Got the most accurate looking Batman ASAP, then I found Robin for my birthday. I knew the Joker was out because I saw him awhile ago but didn't grab him, though I had no clue of the 2-packs, Mr. Freeze and Killer Croc.
Fortunately I just get the characters I want, though it is a pain looking through all those gimmicky peg-warmers. :dead:

Justice League (4"): I've been a fan of the cartoon since it aired and loved Season 2 most of all. At first I was offset by the $6-7 pricetag on the 5" figures but eventually decided since I'll just be getting the ones I most want, why not? They're actually nice display pieces, but expensive suckers. I just get what I want of course, too expensive and ridiculous to get all of'em. Not that all of them are visually pleasing either as Mattel has kept up with purple Batmans and whatnot. >_<

Justice League (10"): Originally I wasn't going to collect these as the 4" figures were adaquete and about the same, also because I didn't want to mess with finding WW. Well awhile ago I found a WW for a friend, and then I found a second WW and decided to get it figuring I could trade it. But as I looked at I thought why not get the rest of them since they're so easy? So right now even though I only have WW I'm gonna get the others as soon as I get an Aquaman as well. (He's kinda scarce as of late)

Marvel Legends: I was a big fan of X-Men animated series alongside my Batman animated series addiction in the early 90's but I was never really devoted to picking up Marvel figures. Though I had picked up a handful of the 5" figures from earlier years and Nightcrawler, Cyclops and Wolvie from X2. I learned of the Beast figure in ML4 by JarJarBinks, and I realized that when I got X-Men figures years ago I always wanted a Beast. One day I saw Beast and Gambit at Wal-Mart and just HAD to grab them as they were so great looking! So I've been getting just the characters I like since then.

Spider-Man: I've been a long fan of Spider-Man due to his animated series as well and got a few of the earlier figures too from the 90's. I had namely Scorpian, a Venom, and a couple Spideys. Well after I started getting Marvel Legends and X2 figures, I realized I needed Spidey! I first planned to get the movie figures from the first one but those were hard to find around here. All I wanted was Gobby, regular Spidey and battle ravaged Spidey but never had money when I could find the super articulated Gobby figure. So I never got those... Then Spider-Man 2 figures rolled in, and I got the Ultra-super articulated Spidey. Now I've started collecting figures from Classics (only DareDevil and Carnage so far) and the older Spidey movie figures I wanted.

X-Men 2: Since I didn't get any figures from the first movie, I figured it was about time to get some as I saw the super articulated ones. It was really disappointing though since I had alot of trouble tracking down series 2, but I eventually found cheap sources to get them from fortunately. Now I just have to track down the carded doubles I need from the first series.

Hellboy: Don't read the comics but loved the movies, unfortunately all you can really find around here is Rasputin and Abe Sapien. I did find two Kroenens and a Sammael after the movie came out though so that's all I've got right now. I've been having major trouble getting Hellboys and don't know if I even want to try to get the variants of them.

Spawn: I was never really a fan of Spawn until a bit ago, I had only seen the movie and heard some stories about Spawn beforehand. But recently a friend of mine got me to read all the regular Spawn comics and looking at the figures. I've got quite a few figures now and have been starting to get interested in other McF lines.

Muppets: Actually all I've gotten right now is Sammuel Arrow from Muppet Treasure Island and will probably only get the figures based on that movie because I loved it so much. :D

arctangent
07-06-2004, 08:01 AM
apart from star wars (which seems to be taking a bit of a back seat at the moment - i am feeling a bit jaded with much of hasbro's output), i collect:

mostly mcfarlane. movie maniacs, monsters, tortured souls, matrix, t3 and, since they have been producing figures from the cover artwork, i have got into spawn. i only get the figures that i like though. (collecting star wars over the last couple of years has knocked the completist out of me). looking forward to infernal circus later in the year - i just love clive barker.

and loving clive barker as i do, how could i pass up on the neca hellraiser figures? well i couldn't. but i only collect those from the first two films and series 3 due soon should just about complete that particular collection.

i have also recently started to get into marvel legends, although i don't have many. again i will just get those one's that i like - silver surfer is the bees knees!

would love to have the money and space for lord of the rings figures but i had to draw the line somewhere.

if they existed, i would certainly part with cash for a bladerunner based series of figures and also i would love to see figures based on the dune stories.

Kidhuman
07-06-2004, 08:14 AM
B'omarr, I got the second set of Yellow Sub. on Ebay. I never saw them in stores either. You could possibly hunt them down there

Ji'dai
07-06-2004, 12:20 PM
i don't know where unwanted toys end up if they don't sell at KB. Is there a lower circle of toy Hell for them to languish in?

That's funny, and yes, there is :D

I remember seeing the Bob and Doug figures at KB on clearance too. But if they don't sell, KB sends them to their Toy Liquidator stores that are usually found in 'outlet' malls. I've also seen KB toys (sometimes with the KB price sticker still on 'em) end up at Big Lots, which is kind of a discount store. I've seen Spawn figures there too, but never Star Wars figures.

kool-aid killer
07-06-2004, 01:54 PM
My main line is the Star Wars line. Ive been collecting since they first hit and havent reached a point where im tired of the line. There are times though that the lack of product or quality disappoints, but i will be sticking with this one until the end. Well there was a point where i did "stop" and that was mainly due to having a poor paying job where an extra $5 was a luxury and my local stores were so flooded with Episode 1 figures that few carried the POTJ line. But by Episode 2 i was back in. I am only 4 items away from being caught up.

My next line is LOTR. I didnt start until the second movie was due to come out. Seen the Easterling figure and grabbed him. One of my fondest toy hunting memories is the following days after that hitting up all toy stores in my city in an effort to get more. Ive been lucky enough that ive been able to get most (im only missing two figures) for their original price or slightly cheaper, the most expensive one being only six dollars over its retail price. I like the line but am somewhat hoping that its end will come soon.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is my next line. Ive got all secondary characters released so far and i only bought the four regular versions of the Turtles. Ive avoided vehicles (but my brother has some) and new versions of the Turtles because i dont feel i need them. My interest in the cartoon has drastically diminshed, so my interest in the line could soon follow, but there are some figures due to come out that will rekindle my interest. Im all caught up with this line.

And lastly is my assortment of Transformers toys. This franchise is currently holding the most interest in me and getting a majority of my dollars. Im 9 figures away from being caught up with my Beast Wars line, the first line of transformers toys that i was actually able to collect. I bought the 20th Anniversary Prime and think hes been one of my best purchases this year. Ive got the two Alternators released so far. I missed out on most of the G1 toys (born in 83) but throughout my youth went to garage sales and thrift stores looking for various ones. Sadly most were in poor condition but i took them anyways because i wanted Transformers to play with. Now that im older and have more money to spend i buy reissues either by Hasbro or Takara and i try to win figures that i dont see being reissued anytime soon off ebay. Is quite costly because its hard to find figures with all weapons, good chrome, and stickers still intact. Currently working on getting my favorites such as the Dinobots, Blitzwing, and various cassettes.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-06-2004, 02:35 PM
B'omarr, I got the second set of Yellow Sub. on Ebay. I never saw them in stores either. You could possibly hunt them down there

I figure that's where I'll end up finding them. I'm staying away from ebay for a bit right now. I always go on there looking for one thing in particular and before you know it, my items I'm watching list has 60 things on it, about a third of which I'm seriously considering. Sometimes it's hard to say no to something when the price is so low.

As I mentioned I'd been looking at some of the old Marx plastic army men, pirates, etc. which started because I was interested in picking up their monster figures. I ended up buying a complete set of plastic U.S. Presidents (missing Eisenhower) for $10 + shipping. I wasn't dying for these, but had seen an etailer selling them for way over $100 and thought I might as well. :rolleyes:

Of course, I had originally been looking for the Saga Emperor, but balked at paying $6 + $5 for shipping.

This seems to always happen.

aceguide
07-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Other than Star Wars...

LOTR - Armies of Middle Earth. Not the complete collection, but some highlights.

Harry Potter Legos

McFarlane NHL - Avalanche only

Lead Soldiers - Britains etc... Have had this collection as long as my Star Wars!

El Chuxter
07-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Try to find the OOP 2-disc set of Big Trouble in Little China if you want some extras. Not sure how much it's going for.

I collect:

Star Wars (of course)

Marvel Legends/Hulk Classics: I was going to pass on some of the Hulk resculpts, but they actually look cool enough for me to forget how dumb the concepts are. :D

Transformers Alternators (and I count Optimus as one of them)

Lord of the Rings: Only select figures. To go for a full set would break me.

Batman (if they ever make any more new characters)

--

I was collecting, but stopped:

He-Man: The line died. :cry: I still need a couple of the last figures, but it's pretty much over.

Harry Potter: From crap, to awesome Four Horsemen-sculpted masterpieces, and back to crap with a vengeance. I'll always have Harry, Malfoy, and Gilderoy (the only three good ones that actually were produced).

Simpsons: Too. . . much. . . product!!

--

As far as what I'd like to see, I'd kill to see a line of nineteen (no more, no less--if you read it, you'll understand) figures based on the Dark Tower novels.

Kidhuman
07-06-2004, 09:31 PM
I figure that's where I'll end up finding them. I'm staying away from ebay for a bit right now. I always go on there looking for one thing in particular and before you know it, my items I'm watching list has 60 things on it, about a third of which I'm seriously considering. Sometimes it's hard to say no to something when the price is so low. This seems to always happen.

You dont have to tell me. I go there looking for one thing and end up getting 6 other things and forget to bid on the one thing I went there for. I couldnt pass up the price on the OT DVD sets(non SE) so that was a BIN purchase. Made me and the Mrs broke for two days. :beard:

Jayspawn
07-07-2004, 10:47 AM
I collect...

1. Star Wars -my baby. I've changed my collecting off Hasbro and on to the big time collecting like Master Replicas and Gentle Giant.

2. Kill Bill :Awesome movies, great figures! I cant wait till Series 2 w/ Elle Driver, Bill and O-Ren. If NECA makes Budd and Vernita Green I can die happy.

3. Lord of the Rings by ToyBiz. What can I say? ToyBiz rocks -these figures are soo damn cool and the detail is f'n amazing. Best of all? They did it without raising the retail prices! Makes collectors happy.

4. 12" Sideshow :A little pricey yes, but the quality of product is incredible! My focus is Universal Monsters and 007 figures. I'm a Classic Horror film buff and Bond Scholar.

5. Star Trek by Art Asylum. AA makes great figures and their Original Series Trek figures are sweet! I'm a big Classic Trek fan and my fandom has been rewarded by cool figures with lota accessories!

----- Things I Used To Collect -----

1. McFarlane Toys :I used to be all about McFarlane Toys. Collected a TON of them. Then everything changed. Their prices went up and the toy lines got worse. However, they truely set the standard of detail in other toy lines today. Unfortunatly -they have made the worst product decisions, producing line after line after line of disasterous figures that nobody bought only to meet their doom on clearence shelves. McFarlane has a little more than a pulse now.

2. The Simpsons : I loved collecting these. It was fun while it lasted. Then Playmates got a big head and started ripping people with the exclusives and other figures. $40 for Duffman? $60 for the Mainstreet Playset? I dont think so -what a rip! $20 for an exclusive figure? It got out of hand and I dont support that. The death of the line is approaching.

3. Masters of the Universe :I'd still be collecting these if the other this I currently collect didnt cost as much. I had to cut back -though the figures are awesome! I passed on Evil Lyn twice! That kills me!

Deoxyribonucleic
07-07-2004, 01:19 PM
1. Muppets - Casually

2. McFarlanes Movie Maniacs Aliens - ALL

3. Terminator 3 - ALL

4. Movie Maniacs - casually, with T2 being ALL (except all variations of sarah connor)

5. Alien Kubricks - I want and will eventually get all of them

6. Star Wars Kubricks - casually

7. Hellraiser (NECA) - ALL

8. Tortured Souls/Clive Barker stuff

Dr Zoltar
07-07-2004, 02:57 PM
I mostly stick to Star Wars since I don't have room for much of anything else. I do pick up things from other lines if they strike my fancy -- such things as McFarlane figures (Terminator, Lord of Darkness from Legend), Doc Opt from the new Spider-Man line, Farscape figures, and the Computer Virus from Matrix.

I also collect some Star Wars legos and Cthulhu plushes. My favorite at the moment is the Cthulhu hand puppet. To operate everything he does you have to be non-human and have 3 hands!

Now if Firefly toys were ever made I'd be all over that!

arctangent
07-08-2004, 05:55 AM
1. McFarlane Toys :I used to be all about McFarlane Toys. Collected a TON of them. Then everything changed. Their prices went up and the toy lines got worse. However, they truely set the standard of detail in other toy lines today. Unfortunatly -they have made the worst product decisions, producing line after line after line of disasterous figures that nobody bought only to meet their doom on clearence shelves. McFarlane has a little more than a pulse now.

i wouldn't say its quite that bad but mcfarlane do seem to make some odd decisions. they wanted to make pinhead and stick him in the movie maniacs series but were not interested in doing anything else from the hellraiser series - they thought no one would be interested - and therefore lost out to neca for the rights. bad move when you consider how successful the hellraiser series of figures have been.

I also collect some Star Wars legos and Cthulhu plushes. My favorite at the moment is the Cthulhu hand puppet. To operate everything he does you have to be non-human and have 3 hands!

considering the cthulhu mythos, that's rather appropriate don't you think :eek: ? (or should it be that you really need three tentacles to operate it?)

Kidhuman
07-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Oh yeah, I also collect SW Legos.

plasticfetish
07-12-2004, 05:36 AM
(This can't be the first thread like this, huh? I know I've done this before.)

What the heck.

Here's what I buy...
Star Wars - I grew up with these toys in the '70s, and was old enough to buy myself a few in the '80s, but lost interest in toys when I became a good for nothing JD. I still have all of my old figures though, minus their accessories which I put away for safe keeping, and then my parents threw away/lost that box. (Thanks guys!) When the new stuff came out, I hated it and avoided it and then slowly started to give in, ending up being totally addicted. My addiction broke with the Saga line and my buying has since been much more measured, but lately I do find myself buying quite a bit.

Star Trek - I had a bunch of the Mego figures when I was a kid, so when Playmates started putting out TNG figures, we (the wife and I both) bought them. She was honestly more into them than me at first, but she was new to the whole Trek thing -- having informed me when we first met that she had never watched any Trek shows. (Gasp!) She's a huge fan now, and we picked up a lot of these toys -- eventually handing over most of the loose TOS figures to our son when he was old enough. Every now and then I'll pick up a Playmates figure to fill in what I don't have, or to replace what I gave to the kid. The AA figures are nice I think, but I haven't bought many of them, mostly because I rarely see them. I'll probably hunt them all down in time.

Alien - I got sucked into the Kenner Alien(s) stuff, and love it all. It's the craziest most inappropriate kid line that I've ever seen. I've been really happy with the McFarlane Alien stuff also... always ready to buy more.

Random ToyBiz - Marvel Legends, Hulk Classics, Spiderman (classic and movie) and I even picked up one LOTR figure -- the glow in the dark "King Of The Dead." I mean... it glows in the dark! How can you beat that? I buy the hero figures sporadically and have enjoyed it all very much -- they're great toys.

Transformers - I never liked Transformers in the '80s, well... mostly because I was busy being a JD, and being too punk rock for robot toys. That all changed a few years ago when the Beast Wars line came out. I was a crazy completist up until Armada, and then pretty much stopped cold. I buy them for my son now, but only grab the most unique ones for myself to kind of maintain a timeline. I've got a pretty decent collection of Japanese BW stuff also, as well as a few G1 figs that I've found here and there. Not buying so much of the vintage or foreign stuff anymore though, as I've cut myself off from eBay.

Micronauts/Microman - My favorite toy line is and always has been Micronauts. (Sorry Kenner, Mego got me first.) I did the eBay thing for a while, picking up a few decent vintage Micros to replace the huge box of toys that my parents lost/threw away from when I was a kid. (The same one that had my bag of SW figure accessories in it BTW. Thanks again guys!) I've picked up a few of the Palisades Micronauts on clearance -- but they're terrible. (That line deserved to die.) In contrast, I've also bought Takara vintage reissues, as well as a bunch of modern Micro figures. Lots of Microman 2000 stuff, and some of the newest figs. Great stuff, brilliant! I also grabbed a some of Neo-Henshin Cyborg figures a few years ago.

Other random stuff - Sci Fi TV and movie toys, when they're good toys and the show/movie is at least sort of fun. This includes, for the most part, American and Japanese stuff.

Things I've bought in the past...
Dune movie figures - Sold them all off though. (Kind of wish I hadn't)
Doctor Who - Dapol stuff that a friend brought me from England.
Mars Attacks - Brilliant stuff from Trendmaster. What the h*** went wrong with that company?
Lost in Space - Again, Trendmaster. A few figures from the old show (B-2 robot.) Then I got sucked into the modern movie figures. Still have a tote full of them somewhere.
Pee-Wee's Playhouse - Yes, that's right! A friend sold me his entire collection for $40 about a decade ago, and I have them all but Cowboy Curtis. I've also got the large talking doll and Terry. Also, I've got the Ed Grimly doll and a Beetlejuice doll some place in the garage (what a dork.) Oh...
Beetlejuice - I started with this, and then stopped.
Random Universal Monsters toys - The 12" Hasbro figs, smaller figs, plastic statues, model kits, etc. -- I had to stop with this also, focusing on Sci-Fi toys only. Gave my son the 12" dolls.
Vintage Japanese vinyl toys - This was the biggest eBay money suck for me for a long time. I have a decent little collection of vinyl monster and hero figures from the '70s and '80s. Nothing wild, but a fun spread of low-end stuff. I love it! I still buy the occasional vintage or modern vinyl toy when I see them, but not very often.
Vintage Shogun Warriors/Japanese diecast toys - The second biggest eBay money suck. I still have an OK little collection now. I've one or two cool Japanese items -- but nothing wild. I had the Shogun Mattel toys when I was a kid and loved them. I only own a few of the 24" (Jumbo) figures. A very nice Godzilla (I never got that one as a kid) and 2 thrashed robots that my son is allowed to play with.
Resident Evil (ToyBiz) - This was my first ToyBiz thing, and I still have these and love them. Love the game... zombies are fun!

Stuff I'd like to buy in the future...
I try to go for mostly Sci-Fi toys, though I can get sucked into monster or super hero stuff pretty easily. I'll probably go back to buying vintage toys in the near future, as the Star Wars line dies down. Mego stuff - Star Trek, Planet of the Apes. I'll be looking at vintage Kenner Star Wars stuff more. Be trying to get a decent affordable vintage Kenner Alien figure. And so on...

I also collect vintage videogame systems and games when I find them at thrifts or swap-meets. Vintage handhelds (LED), vintage calculators (LED), Vintage computers (not often, 'cause they're heavy/big) and the odd crazy old device or scientific instrument. A while ago, I found a machine from the '40s or '50s (?) that runs electricity through your body to "cure sickness." It's fun, it makes your chest buzz. :sur:

RooJay
07-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Of current lines I collect:

Star Wars (3 3/4" and Unleashed - when I can find new figures...)
Marvel Legends
Mattel Batman (when I can find figures I want)
DC Direct Hush
Sideshow Toys 12 inch (any and all that I can manage to afford)
Muppets
Masters of the Universe (or what's left of it anyway)
Movie Maniacs (although cool characters that i actually want have become increasingly few and far between)
Microman
DC Direct Kingdom Come (although there have disturbingly been no new figures anounced for this year so far)
Teen Titans (technically, they're my girlfriend's though I do enjoy them as well just based on my love of the show. I do seriously wish these were cooler looking, though.)
Spider-Man Classics (but only those cool enough to fit in with my Marvel Legends collection - and there are sadly few of them)
ToyBiz Lord of the Rings (in both 7 and 10 inch scales)
Lord of the Rings Minimates
Armies of Middle Earth
The Simpsons (right up until the bitter end.)
Popeye
Justice League (4 inch and 10 inch - all 10 inch, but I pick and choose from the 4 inch in order to avoid the crap.)

I will probably soon be collecting Xevoz, C3 (the DC Minimates), The Batman (but only the basics none of that armored junk), Family Guy, Kill Bill, Army of Darkness, The Incredibles, Ren & Stimpy, Pirates of the Caribbean, DC Direct First Appearances, Street Fighter, Fairly Odd Parents, and Invader Zim.

stillakid
07-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Star Wars has been the only thing I've been committed to over the years. Aside from that, I tend to pick up items ala carte when they strike my fancy. The Danger Girl trio was uberhot so that was a no-brainer. I also have a decent collection of The Tick action figures but sadly never managed to get Der Fledermaus. Damn shortpacks! :mad: Other than that, just odds and ends really that looked cool or sexy or whatever. I was kinda hoping for a Fifth Element line, but I'm still holding my breath. And I just picked up the Indiana Jones figure last year at Disneyland but on the whole was pretty disappointed with how they turned out. Pity. Such a humongously popular series and nobody can get the toys right. What's this world coming to?

Dark Marble
07-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Over the past 5 years I have been off and on so many figure lines. But I have collected McFarlane figures (mostly hockey). Some great detail and interesting characters. I loved the Matrix line. Transformers, right now limited to Autobot altenators and the 20th edition prime. Lord of the Rings which I keep giving up and keep coming back to. Dragonball Z, blast my brother for ever getting me hooked on this years long obsession. And I narrowly missed the ninja turtles.

At this point with the OTC looking very nice I am trying to drop everything else. It is so expensive to keep up with Star Wars and collect on top of it. :crazed:

B'Omarr Monkey
07-24-2004, 09:49 PM
(This can't be the first thread like this, huh? I know I've done this before.)

Vintage Japanese vinyl toys - This was the biggest eBay money suck for me for a long time. I have a decent little collection of vinyl monster and hero figures from the '70s and '80s. Nothing wild, but a fun spread of low-end stuff. I love it! I still buy the occasional vintage or modern vinyl toy when I see them, but not very often.

I do this as well. This one is pretty fun because everything looks great. You don't have to spend a bunch of money, and I feel no compulsion about being a completist or dishing out huge $$$ for vintage items. When my spending money is low, I can ignore it completely.

Fluke Skywalker
06-10-2005, 07:13 AM
I mostly collect the things I had in my youth, but have long since ended up in a landfill or worse... with cousins and various ungrateful snotty nosed relatives. So here goes...

1. GI Joe: A real American hero - This was the one thing that did/can compete for my Star Wars love on any level. I can even remember buying my first one's back in 1982 (Oh man I'm getting old!). The figures still look good 23 years later and in terms of articulation blow even modern SW figures away (No pun intended). With so many great vehicles and playsets, there's a lot love about this line. I don't touch anything beyond 1987 though. It started to get real silly about that time and the new stuff looks like re-issues of the old molds but with cheesy paint apps.

2. Masters of the Universe (He-Man) - My best friend/next door neighbor hooked me on these as a kid. Before the the goof ball cartoon and less than great movie, He-Man was so cool. Like Star Wars meets Conan the Barbarian. I also collected the new line before it flamed out.

3. M.A.S.K. - The last toy line I was geeked about before adolecence and girls came calling and ruined my life forever ;) . Like GI Joe meets Transformers. Cool Theme song for the 'tune as well.

4. Transformers - I have no interest in the newer ones, which look cheap IHMO. I don't spend much time or money on the vintage one's now, as Star Wars and the above are more of a priority, but I loved them as a kid.

5. Lord of the Rings - This could actually qualify as 'I use to collect'. I was really into it from 2001-2003, and have about 60 or so items, including Single figures, two packs, Deluxe and Horse and Rider sets. I really hated 'Return of the King' and I stopped collecting for a while in early 2004. When I decided to get back in, mostly to just get a few figures here and there, I found that retail had all but abandonded the line.

I'll spare you any more than that for now.

megaprime33
06-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Besides SW I used to collect Transformers for a number of years. That was a great passion of mine until about a year ago. I still buy an ocasional G1 figure and Alternator. I have so many TFs that unfortunately are all in storage sans a couple of favorites.

SW and Transformers really were/are my 2 favorites, but besides those I have a few odds and ends from various lines. I have a bunch of thundercats, Marvel Legends, original TMNT, and original He-Man.

As of write now I don't really buy toys that much anymore. I'll get a few things here and there that look really cool, but thats about it. I'm starting to get more into collectibles, like replica lightsabers and other such things.

I do have a decent DVD collection of about 80+ dvds and box sets. My recent purchase was Sopranos season 5. Can't wait to watch that!

darko666
06-10-2005, 05:23 PM
i collect a wide varity of toys, such as:

Star Wars
Transformers
Mask
Centorians
Sectaurs
StarCom
Muscle Men
Battle Beasts (love these things)
He-Man (both old and new)
G.I. Joe (vintage only)
LOTR (certain figures)
McFarlane (certain figures)
Anime figures (Trigun, Gungrave, Inuyasha...)
Lego (not so much anymore, but i have a large collection)
Marvel Ledgends
and basically anything else that catches my attention.

i tend to advance my collection in toys, mainly because i love to collect and i don't want to limit myself to just Star Wars. I have plenty of figures from when i was a kid, so I 'm just adding to my collection.

Hellboy
06-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Battle Beasts (love these things)

Are you talking about those little animals (about the size of a Smurf) that had different forms of armor and each had either a water, fire or wood symbol on their chest? If so I still have a ton of those from when I was younger. Can't say I collect them still but I always thought they were pretty cool myself so I made sure to keep them as an adult. I can't remember which weapons go with each beast and I have no idea how big the line was but I think I have most of them. I've always wondered if these guys ended up being worth anything or if anybody was still interested in collecting them. Nice to see they didn't fade into obscurity :D

Monstermile
06-10-2005, 11:02 PM
My other big collection is horror figures. I have many of the McFarlane Monsters, Movie Maniacs, Tortured Souls, and several other series. I also have Hellraiser series 1-3, and some other horror movie figures. The Matrix figures from N2Toys and McFarlane are also in my collection.

I also have a collection of about 90 1/24 Nascar die-cast (Action, Team Caliber, Revell) as well as thousands of Nascar cards. I quit collecting both several years ago even though I am still a long-time fan.

darko666
06-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Are you talking about those little animals (about the size of a Smurf) that had different forms of armor and each had either a water, fire or wood symbol on their chest?

yeah, thats them. i don't think they are widely popular as other toy lines, but i personally think these are great toys. most of the labels fell off the figures though and i don't have as many weapons for them as i used to.

also, i forgot to add these to my collection:

TNMT
Ghostbusters
Exo-Squad
Gundam
WWF (remember the big non-movable figures, and the ridiculously sized ring?)
Indiana Jones
Army Ants
Simpsons (old and new)
Marvel/DC figures (Secret Wars to Present)
Food Fighters (what a great idea)

even though my Star Wars collection is the biggest, it is not my fav. the Metal Gear Solid figures from McFarlane take the #1 spot for my fav. line of figures. although, SW is closely behind it. If they make a Sith Inflitrator and a better Holo Maul, then SW will take the lead. but that will never happen.

Sith Lord 0498
06-11-2005, 01:04 AM
There's really no other toy line I heavily focus on. What I'm doing is trying to build a collection of one or two figures/vehicles from genre films that I really like or that I think are very intriguing or iconic (but not necessarily a favorite of mine). To that end, I buy items from multiple companies and lines. These are the items I have right now beyond Star Wars, and it might help put what I'm saying in a better perspective.

Batmobile from Batman (1990) - die cast Hot Wheels car (1:24 scale I believe)
Freddy Krueger & Jason Voorhees - NECA's Freddy vs. Jason two-pack diorama
Leatherface from TCM 2004 - Movie Maniacs
Robocop - Movie Maniacs
Predator - McFarlane Toys
Grid Alien - McFarlane's AVP line
Darkman - SOTA's Now Playing Series 1
Various X-Men figures - Marvel Legends and X-Men line from last year

I'm hoping to pick up some new pieces in the near future.

Marv and Hartigan (Sin City Series 1)
Kevin (Sin City Series 2)
Patrick Bateman (NECA's Cult Classics)
New Nightmare Freddy Krueger (NECA's Cult Classics)
Frank the Bunny (NECA's Cult Classics)

JediTricks
06-11-2005, 03:26 AM
The Mattel Hot Wheels die cast Batmobile from the '89 movie is sold as 1:18 scale, though it's more like 1:19th or 1:20th.

Sith Lord 0498
06-11-2005, 09:29 AM
The Mattel Hot Wheels die cast Batmobile from the '89 movie is sold as 1:18 scale, though it's more like 1:19th or 1:20th.

Yep, that's the one. I'm really bad at scale. They never seem quite right when I try to picture it.