PDA

View Full Version : Close to Completion

Bosskman
07-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Does anyone else feel that, aside from Ep III figures, most of what they've always dreamed of in a SW figure collection has come true? I know I have. Right now, I'm just sorta filling up the holes. Repacks are not for me, and resculpts range from "thank God they re-sculpted this" to "I can save some cash by not buying this one." Years ago I would have considered the HOF figures a collossal waste of time, but now I welcome them because I don't have to spend money on SW figures right now, plus they are getting others who missed out in the last few years into the hobby. I'm almost all caught up now, except for a few things I still need. Hell, I'm even able to buy NEW figures here in Canada (that has not happened for a long time.)

I think right now it's a good time to be a collector.

Beast
07-05-2004, 06:13 PM
I don't feel that we're really close to completion. There's at least 20-30 major characters that could still be done for each of the OT films, before you start hitting really obscure stuff. And the two already released prequels have even more that still need to be made. Like all of Padme's costumes for one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
07-05-2004, 06:20 PM
I wish I felt more like that. I'm well over 95% complete from POTF2 to the end of Saga (with respect to loose figures), yet all I can seem to think about are the pieces that elude me. I wonder how I'll feel when I finally get that last thing I need - whatever it may be. No matter how many figures they repack, I still wind up worrying about whether or not they have any divergence from the original release - an idea that's been occupying much of my thoughts about how to go about collecting the OTC after seeing the pics of some of the "changed" figures. I don't know if I'll ever be able to say I'm truly done with this collection, I think there's always going to be something else to track down.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-05-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm feeling close to being caught up, which is a far cry from how I felt a year ago (even six months ago) but nowhere near close to completion in terms of my want lists. I've had a top ten want list going for about seven years now, with very little adjusting due to AOTC. The last, and only chaarcter from my list that was made was, R4-M9. All the other cantina patrons, Amidala outfits, handmaidens, droids, and pod race pilots, etc., that I want seem to be slow in coming. If Hasbro didn't recently put a major dent in offering the population of Jabba's Palace, I'd start feeling like it would never happen. I still feel a long way from being close to fully satisfied.

Bosskman
07-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'd love more Cantina and Jabba's Palace aliens, Amidalas and Pod Racers, Cloud car, AT-TE and Homing Spider Droid. but if there was an announcement from hasbro tomorrow that it was only Ep III from here on in, I'd be satisfied with what we have so far.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-05-2004, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't. I am actually looking forward to the line coming to an end. My wallet (and wife) will be grateful, but not without more of the types of characters I listed being released. They are the reason I've stuck with the line so far. I'd have been perfectly happy with one sculpt of Tatooine Luke, ANH Han, Darth Vader, etc., which isn't to say I didn't like any of the resculpts or added accesories. The resculpts are not what keeps me interested. If it were only redone versions of the primary characters, the line would quickly decline like the Batman line did with all of it's silly "Batman featuring Batmobile washing and waxing armor." I keep with the line because of characters like R1-G4 (who was on my top 15 list), Wol Cabashhite (who I could have lived without, but was thrilled to see), or Dutch Vander. Everytime we get one of these characters, it makes it more likely that one of the obscure ones on my list, like Wioslea, will happen. Maybe it's just a cruel tease on Hasbro's part, but it's kept me strung along this long.

If the line ended without providing me with Wioslea, or CZ-9/CZ-3, I'd feel ripped off. I'd pay one of the people who do the good customs to make them because I feel they should be part of the collection. If we can get a second version of General Veers, then we should get Wioslea.

Kidhuman
07-05-2004, 09:16 PM
I want everything. They should stop wasting money on all the same characters and start making the rest of them.

vadersvette
07-06-2004, 02:15 AM
I just get what I want. I'm not a completest. I do feel that there are gaps in my collection....especially when I drifted away from SW during POTJ, and also with last year's distribution problem, I missed on a ton of figures. :o

Slicker
07-06-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm very happy with what has been produced and feel that with the obvious exception of Episode III Hasbro has completed most everyones list of figures they want made. I personally like resculpts (if they didn't do them we'd be stuck with beefcake Luke and monkey Leia for god sakes) and the one resculpt I'd really like to see is another Han in carbonite. Don't get me wrong the POTF2 Han was great but seeing as they're doing all of these resculpts and making obscure figures I think they should resculpt him also. And I'm not one for the expanded universe but they should maybe go to Shadow's of the Empire and make a couple of more figures from the novel although I don't see that happening when they can make such high quality and well known figures as Wioslea ( in case you couldn't tell that was sarcasm).

dindae
07-06-2004, 12:06 PM
I can't say that I am anywhere near completion, but I want any character that appears on screen that has more thought than a lycra jumpsuit. However if it all ended today I can't say I would be disappointed in what has been done. I could nitpick but there will always be that one figure I want more than the others. There is also the part of me that looks at my collection and hopes the end is near just so I don't have to come up with new display solutions (What is the point in have a collection if you can't display it?).

jedimarvin
07-06-2004, 02:44 PM
2004 has deffinatly been a great year for me. Many of the figures on my most wanted list were made, ie...General Reeiken, General Madine, Ozzel, a new Ewok, Jabba, ImperialDignitaries, etc... I won't be completey happy, though until I see a DSII Luke, Chief Chirpa, General Veers, Wedge Antilles, Yarna, Moff JerJerrod, Klaatu and Han, Luke and Leia in Endor gear and a new Han and Luke in Stormtrooper gear. It's a lot to want, I know. PLEEEAAASE Hasbro!

Tycho
07-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Dindae, B'Omarr Monkey, Kidhuman, JediMarvin and others here went through every possibility left in The Scene-By-Scene Favorite Figures Never Made Before Poll Thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24054)

You can read through each group and see how other people liked what you'd want (or not want) and take it movie by movie.

We're revamping the list to cover cantina aliens better right now and seeing how a Tonnika Sister would fit into there (she'd lost to Hem Dazon in the cantina battle).

In any case, we came up with 211 figures they haven't done, with room for some omissions and errors (can't recall if we remembered the 6-armed droid on the freighter that yelled at R2) but basically, about half that amount had people voting for one particular character or another.

At 50 figures per year, the hobby would have 4 or less years left until everything possible was a resculpt. Episode 3 adds 2 years to that, still killing the hobby by 2010 - though we are digging around the bottom of the barrel sooner than later if we go that long.

Since Hasbro has the license until 2018, I'd expect re-releases, packaging changes, and for better or worse, a change in the basic figure size to 6" or something closer to the Unleashed size for detail, but not until at least 200 or more figures in the 3 3/4" line debut.

But they have to keep the market open for those amongst us who'd buy anything, because it'd be up to the kids eventually if they only left it to resculpts.

Anyway, our Top 45 list voted on was:

Padme Handmaiden
Yarna dal Gargon, Jabba's Fat Dancer
Queen Amidala Purple Return to Naboo
Queen Amidala white Theed Celebration
Senator Yarua - Wookiee
Cliegg Lars
Black Bespin Security Guard
R2D2 Shield Bunker exploded
Mother Ewok with baby Wokling
Jocasta Nu
Wioslea
Arcona, Hem Dazon

General Tagge
Moff Jerjerrod, Death Star Commander
Sly Moore
Jango Fett out of armor
Lando Calrissian Smugglers Gear
Treva Horme, Cloud City alien
Slim Aloo, Imperial Dignitary
Chief Chirpa, Ewok Leader
Gragga Chubba Vendor
Padme from Palpatine's Office, Senator
Sora Bulq, Weequay Jedi

General Veers
Han Solo Bespin Torture Chair

Luke Skywalker Endor Gear
Wald
Kitster
Ben Quadrinaros, Podracer
Padme in yellow from the Waterfalls
Dooku's Pilot Droid
CZ-3 from Mos Eisley Spaceport
Daultay Dofine, Niemoidian
Ann / Tan Gella, Twi'lek girls
ET Senator
Padme in her Nightgown
Padme as refugee from freighter
Clone Trooper in red, out of armor
Young Owen Lars
Count Dooku / Darth Tyranus Softgoods
Naboo Clergyman, marries Anakin and Padme
R5D4
Colonel Wulf Yularen, Imperial Conference Table
Klaatu, remake of vintage figure from Jabba's
Herme Odel

You really should Read This Thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=24054) to see all the possibilities offered were very thorough and what the group of 20 or so collectors thought of all the choices - especially ones you'd want.

Voting is closed however, save for the latest placement option for the Tonnika sister, and soon enough the Gotal (our cantina top 2 under Hem Dazon the Arcona).

jedi master sal
07-06-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm mixed in my feelings towards this, but with a big lean towards needing more figures.

My biggest wish is that at least every character that had a speaking role get's to be made as a figure. What about Toryn Farr for instance. ("Stand by Ion control...FIRE") Also, there are the classics that we've been askgin for, for years, like the Tonika Sisters, and the most needed resculpt IMHO-R5D4!

Another wish is that there were more army building figures available, at all times. Think how many people didn't get just one SA Clone, or missed out on CommTech Stormies, or the elusive Naboo Royal Guard. Stormtroopers should always be on the shelves!

There are some army builders which haven't even been made yet, most notably the tan uniformed Alliance guards, who could also do double duty as the hangar transport driver (from SW:ANH).

Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly happy with what we have, but I think I'll never be satisfied, though I may come close. That time however is a long way off. Plus there's the hope that since Hasbro has the license until 2018, that we may indeed get the minor speaking roles, army builders, resculpts, and obscure characters that we want. Maybe I'm living in the clouds on that hope, but here's hoping!

-Sal

Tycho
07-06-2004, 04:04 PM
See my post above (the link in it anyhow) Torynn Far did well, but lost to Lando in Smuggler's Gear (more people wanted him at the time).

She was also very well-demanded as a Deluxe Figure, with her command console to help create Echo Base along with General Rieekan's accessory part. However, Torynn lost to both Emperor Palpatine with a throne chair and Han Solo undergoing Bespin Torture (the ultimate Ultra-assortment winner for the Classic figures).

Torynn's merit is definitely shown though and I'm going to print the whole thread and give several copies to Hasbro to see if they care to use our free marketing reseach.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Tycho, I think we did leave out the cafeteria worker droid, though the fact that nobody mentioned it, proabably means he would not have made the runoff.

Every time I see that scene I'm reminded of those teaser photos from the set of AOTC that were offered on Star Wars.com, and then the Insider. Remember there was that one photo of one of R2's arms touching a loaf of pumpernickel. There could be a new R2-D2 sculpt in this. He comes with a tray and bowls of hot soup, and of course, the loaf of bread.

Tycho
07-06-2004, 07:02 PM
A Soup Plantation exclusive?

I'm always interested in SW exclusives that come with food. I can buy toys guilt free then and just say I was hungry.

But remember a time a while back and all those Fruit Loops? :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
07-06-2004, 08:52 PM
I remember all the stomach aches from Taco Bell Tycho. Unless you are Lactose intolerant, dont complain about the Fruit Loops. :D

Sal, i think the R5-D4 resculpt is everyones honest opinion.

droidekas2
07-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Everytime we get one of these characters, it makes it more likely that one of the obscure ones on my list, like Wioslea, will happen. Maybe it's just a cruel tease on Hasbro's part, but it's kept me strung along this long.

If the line ended without providing me with Wioslea, or CZ-9/CZ-3, I'd feel ripped off. I'd pay one of the people who do the good customs to make them because I feel they should be part of the collection. If we can get a second version of General Veers, then we should get Wioslea.

Right on!! Wioslea is one of my top 10 most wanted, along with Yarna and Hermie. I would want the figure to have her hood down (not with it up as seen in New Hope) so that we can see all of the freaky eye stalks. Maybe a soft goods cloak and hood with bendy eye stalks!!

The aliens and droids are what make this Star Wars and make it exciting!!

plo koon 200
07-07-2004, 03:18 PM
For me nothing will be complete until a real Star Destroyer comes out like I just saw on ebay.

Bosskman
07-08-2004, 11:43 PM
I agree, R5-D4 is needed. As far as the OTC stuff, I'm not going to get everything. For the first 4 VOTC, right now I'm only getting Ben and maybe Han. Not sure about Luke and Leia. I'll definately get 3PO and Vader, maybe Lando and Yoda. I'll have to wait and see on a figure by figure basis. I'm getting the Council sets mainly for the floor pieces now. Don't need another Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan or Anakin. I'll just give away the figures I don't want. Any OTC figure that is just a re-pack I'm not getting.

sluray
07-09-2004, 01:14 PM
There are still some characters they never made yet. I think they are not too far off from developing all the major characters. I still want them to put some figs that was either a deluxe or mail in Exclusive on the card. They still need to make Han Solo in Stormtrooper gear on the card. And not to mention, a Cantina Band member on the card would be sweet also.

Dark Marble
07-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Bosskman, I really know what you mean. I have felt like this for a while. I love the repackages because I don't have to buy them. And I am very happy with the diversity and volume of my collection. However, Tycho's list is very compelling. There is so much that could be made and I would collect most of it...all of it. Star Wars is a very satisfying collection but I could see haning it up with no looking back after Episode III if that was the end of it.

TheDarthVader
07-13-2004, 06:18 PM
Yarna has been #1 on my list for a long time. I would also like to have a resculpt of the r4-d5 droid. I would rather see NEW figures than old ones on a "card". The card doesn't matter to me even though I am a carded collector! Who cares if we ever see han in stormtrooper gear on a card?? At least we have a figure of him! I would take a Yarna or r5 loose OR carded. That is the extent of my wanting. They need to stop fooling around and cater to the adults who collect these figures. I am tired of all of the re-repacks, "we put a dot of paint on <fill in character name> now he's different, here is another luke. I love all of the vaders as long as they are different. But that is because Darth is the best villian ever created and my favorite star wars character. :D

vadersvette
07-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Amen to that. lol I'm an opener and a carded collector, and it doesn't excite me in any way to see a figure that I already have put on a new card. The only good thing is that I'm finally able to get some of these figures for the first time. (Finally got the CommTech Stormtrooper in the HOF line). I do wish we could get an updated Han and Luke in Stormtrooper gear and R5-D4. Also, I want Hasbro to make R2-Q2! :D

jedi-cpa
07-14-2004, 10:20 AM
"complete" is a funny word.

Is hasbro complete in what they have produced? No far from it, but I wish they'd just stop to be honest. I am so far now I can't stop. But $ and space wise it is getting hard to justify.

I am hoping the final movie comes out, and as happened in 1985, they squeeze out that last line and never speak of it again.

Complete from a personal collection standpoint, pretty close. I am not a "variant" collector, I don't need every packaging change, I don't need every bonus battle droid or clone trooper. I only have the blue apron ugnaught, and double telescoping sabres...I couldn't care less.

That said, I'd love a vlix or a blue snaggletooth, but you can't be sure now what is out there is for real.

Here is what I veiw as remaining holes in my collection:

RC Sandcrawler
Blue Snaggle
Imperial Sniper
Vlix

SA Clone trooper

Toy Fair Vader

Target Leia with Cup
Target Luke with Cup
Target Anankin with cup

Jorg Sacul

Everyhtin else is either coming from Kebco or not relesed yet.

Droid
07-14-2004, 10:50 AM
There are a lot of figures that I want. However, at present there are only five that I would just be absolutely sick if the line ended and did not get made:

Owen, Beru, and Cliegg from Attack of the Clones, Hem Dazon the Arcona from the cantina, and Yarna d'al Gargan from Jabba's Palace.

They must make them. That is all there is to it.

Tycho
07-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Jedi-CPA, my congratulations on what sounds like a very complete collection.

Did you do all that recently (in modern years) or did you save your vintage stuff from 'back in the day' and get a head start?

Did you hunt down exclusives like the JediCon Red R-3 (three) droid?

What about the Luke Jedi Theater figure?

That is most impressive if you collected all that.

I'm not a collector. I never wanted to stress over missing pieces. I build dioramas and try and get whatever I need to make the best set-up. To be sure I could use 4 (four) Eopies, but don't have them. I'll either get rich (market rate on those for Americans is approximately $50 each) or I'll try and wait it out and see if Hasbro releases a Mos Espa 4-pack to TRU with an Eopie for $25 in the 4-pack (with Wald, Kitster - this would be great!) Unfortunately the set would likely give me more Padmes, Anakins, Shmis, Qui-Gons, Wattos than I need. Possibly C-3PO naked -another figure I have enough of. It seems hopeless for a straight Eopie release to North America. (I don't even need the QuiGons they come with because as a just-in-case, I bought and have now opened the 4 I would have gotten with the beasts as POTJ QG Tatooines (unfortunately - though there's nothing wrong with that figure).

Anyway. Sorry for the rant. Nice collection Jedi CPA

jedi-cpa
07-14-2004, 02:34 PM
First, thank you, it has been a 27 year labor of love. Yes, luckily the majority of my old stuff is from "back in the day. I'd love to upgrade the condition of some of my items, but I collect for me, not for resale, so I don't really care that my wampa is a little yellow (that almost sounds dirty). But for the most part, the stuff is in great condition having been played with for so many years. I should post pics someday. Currently I am in the middle of a move and the stuff might end up at westy's for a while (sad day).

#2,this is what I love about sir steves, I can always be made aware of a little something else.

The theatre edition luke I consider a packing variant. Thus not something that would make me "anymore complete". Unless it is really a completely different fig...let me know on that one if it is, if so I need to get one. But no, don't have it at this time. Even though I keep stuff in pack now, I look at it like the old cards. I didn't run out and get an ROTJ obi wan...I had one already.

Now, Red R-3 variant...what is that? Is there a pic somewhere...I don't know that I am aware of that fig...

Some variants I would like to get should I ever truly COMPLETE the items listed above:

Figs with battledroid all of them from ep I
Figs with pitdroids all from ep I
Theatre Luke
The new luke yoda mexico 2 pack
I'd like the original 12 back 12 MOC. But who wouldn't.
I'd like the last unproduced droids run...there ae only prototypes and not many of them, and they are probably already in the hands of those who will not part with them.
Bib fortuna with red cape
Vinyl Jawa (too easy to fake though)
Ugnaught with different apron.
There are a couple of other vintage variants, but untill I have one of each of the basic stuff, and until I hit the lotto, it aint gonna happen.

Let me know where I can see the R3 Thanks

Tycho
07-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Red R3? Hmmmm.

I think I saw the photos on RS or GH. You might have to trace back in their archived news for 2 months, but between May, June, and now July, you will find it.

JediCon is either a UK or Mexico thing I think. They offered it as an exclusive.

I know astromechs are repaints, but they were in the movies as well.

Furthermore, it's better to have the product and the collectible if you're counting them, than a do-it-yourself.

The Red R3 was scene in the Death Star when "Lord Vader, we count 30 Rebel ships but they are so small they are avoiding our turbolasers!" took place in the hall way.

R3's have clear domes while R2's don't (you can't see their brains - but we always did wonder what was on R2-D2's mind anyway. There are probably demonic plans to torture C-3PO hidden in there...hehehe)

In any case, the Red R3 looks like R3-T7 (the yellow one) only it is red where T7 is yellow. Also the Hoth 5 pack with the orange R3 (Echo Base in the movie) is the same figure. This is only red.

But I know: it sucks because a lot of people want it.

I could use GREEN R3 and R2 and I'd be all about chasing those down if they make them. I'm fairly sure they will though.

Anyway, hope you find the picture. If you do, hey, why not put it up for those who think they are "complete" as well?

Bosskman
07-15-2004, 05:35 AM
I'd like the light blue and red R3 from the Death Star (or, as I call him, the "Papa Smurf Droid")

Hey Droid, that list is amost the same as mine, but with a few more Padmes and R5 D4 added to it.

Anyways I got the first 3 VOTC figures this week. I wasn't sure about getting Leia but I had the money and everything.... I've never been a carded collector but this time I was SEVERELY temted to get an extra set to keep carded. These figures look absolutely beautiful (to quote a certain colt 45 swilling gambler) on the cards. I hope to God I don't give in.........

Droid
07-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Nice to know I'm in good company Bosskman. And like I said, there are at least thirty figures that I REALLY want, but there are only five that they just have to make or I'll be very upset.

ROTJLuke
07-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Well, like someone previously said, I was sorta out of it during the POTJ faze, and I just started collection the core figures (Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, Boba..etc.), basically Im an OTC guy, thats what I was introduced to and thats what I really enjoy about starwars. Sure, the other movies are neat, and they have their respected characters, but they dont got s**t on the original movies. As for my collection, Im very happy with it, because I got the ones I wanted to get. As for figures being made, really, I only want an amazing version of the DS II Jedi Luke. Thats all I ask for.

Bosskman
07-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Yeah, we're about due for a super-articulated DS2 Luke.

ROTJLuke
07-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Indeed my friend, Indeed!

Kidhuman
07-24-2004, 10:07 PM
The sad thing is since they just gave us a new sculpt of Jedi Luke, we wont see another for a long long time. They will just keep re-hashing this one.

ROTJLuke
07-26-2004, 11:45 AM
You really think so? I dunno, I mean Luke is a core character, and the DSII Luke is the only one they havent gotten right yet (unless you count that chipmunk POTJ x-wing Luke) so I mean, they also said they had no plans at the time to release a Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight) with corrected belt. What the hell does that figure mean? DSII? At least there thinkin about it!!

Kidhuman
07-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Well we just had a Throne Room Luke, so I dont think they will give us another one right away. If they happen to do an ROTJ Luke in the next few years, it will most likely be this one. Wait until the line is dying out, and they give us what we really want to keep us happy.

ROTJLuke
07-27-2004, 06:46 AM
I believe you are right sir! I will wait it out!