PDA

View Full Version : Star Destroyer for the action figures!!! (must see!)

Tycho
07-07-2004, 02:42 PM
This was reported on E-bay by RS. It is incredible!

It is a Star Destroyer that holds all the Imperial Action Figures plus a TIE Fighter, TIE Bomber, and the Imperial Shuttle!

I had wanted to build one myself, but intended nothing this ambitious.

I've made a Blockade Runner (pictures attached) but don't quite have the room for a Star Destroyer (plus Jabba's Sailbarge was to be my next project).

In any case, this is a What-Could-Be thread, so please don't move it to customs - thanks. Not everyone views that section - but here these fine capital ships can be seen and discussed.

Anyway, my Star Destroyer would have had a larger bridge with flat floors in the crew pits, as well as an elevator (like the vintage DS playset style) - but I'd have only considered there being room for a TIE Bomber in the main hanger, not these 3 ships including one the size of the shuttle!

I wonder if figures can board the shuttle from inside the ship?

How do the TIE Fighters launch? Are there other hanger doors we can't see in the pictures?

Tycho
07-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Here are the interior shots of the Star Destroyer from E-bay:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-07-2004, 02:49 PM
damn, this thing is AMAZING!!!! I tip my hat to the person/persons who made this. Can you imagine if Hasbleh put out an exclusive like this?!? It'd be like a grand and only available at K-Mart stores. lol :crazed:

nice pics though!!! This thing looks incredible!!!! :D

Tycho
07-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Here are pictures of my Tantive IV Rebel Blockade Runner for the figures (this is from my personal collection) and a Jabba The Hutt Sailbarge that was sold on e-Bay that I wish I owned!

Tycho
07-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Whoops. Here's from the Hutt's Private Collection ;)

Kyle Katarn
07-07-2004, 03:04 PM
That's really cool, imagine if they make a Super Star Destroyer...that would be amazing.

Tycho
07-07-2004, 03:08 PM
damn, this thing is AMAZING!!!! I tip my hat to the person/persons who made this. Can you imagine if Hasbleh put out an exclusive like this?!? It'd be like a grand and only available at K-Mart stores. lol :crazed:

nice pics though!!! This thing looks incredible!!!! :D

While my Blockade Runner needs a lot of refinement next to these more professional models of the other large ships, I ran the Exibitor-Only Blockade at Comic Con in 1999 (with a begrudging SirSteve helping me, LOL) and showed my ship to Hasbro in person (as well as Steve Sansweet).

I was told it if it were ever feasible, something like that, individual cost reduced by economies of scale from mass-producing, the 5 foot long Blockade Runner would retail for approximately $250 per individual ship.

I told them that DUDE! WE WOULD ALL SAVE UP AND PAY THAT MUCH ANYWAY!

The GI Joe USS Flag aircraft carrier could not even compare to Star Wars at this size and brilliance (of any of these ships properly produced).

Obviously the Flag, nor these crafts (well maybe Jabba's) are to actual scale, but this is as good as it could get. Michael Fright built the 1:1 scale Blockade Runner for the figures. The ship actually would hold 400 crewmembers and be 4 decks tall with turbolifts throughout the ship, Princess Leia's quarters, Captain Antilles', etc. Well, who needs that beyond being able to set up critical scenes with your figures, like Darth Vader meeting the Bounty Hunters on the Star Destroyer bridge.

Michael Fright's ship required a semi-truck to move it (not kidding!) It took up his entire driveway at his home, and then required a permit from his hometown to stick out into the street.

Let's discuss ships that would fit in your living room or garage instead.

Obviously, a Star Destroyer and Blockade Runner cannot be to scale to each other - but so what? My Tantive IV is as SMALL as I could satifactorily build it at 5 feet or so (it's slightly bigger I think).

The Destroyer is quite logically about 7 feet because of its unique shape needs.

I'd guess Jabba's Sailbarge is about 4 feet - maybe 5. It is actually to scale with the figures as it should be.

Hasbro ought to make these and if Master Replicas can get $500 for metal tubing with $1.50 flourescent lighting, why the heck can't enough of us pay that much or less for one of these magnificent ships???

Space is like the only consideration.

But we're Star Wars collectors - we can get rid of our wives and kids to make more room if need be! ;)

plo koon 200
07-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Is that Star Destroyer coming out by Hasbro for EP III or is that a custom?

Tycho
07-07-2004, 03:14 PM
The Large-Scale Dream List:

Blockade Runner
Star Destroyer
Sandcrawler (not as likely to sell)
Millennium Falcon (ought to be made before ANY of the others)
Death Star Playset
Rebel Transport
Super Star Destroyer
Rebel Medical Frigate
Jabba's Sailbarge
Mon Calamari Cruiser
Republic Courrier (not necessary so large. I'm thinking Radiant VII)
Republic Cruiser (proto-Star Destroyer)
those mobile laser cannons the Clones used PHATs or whatever they were called
Trade Federation Cargo Ships (converted for combat use, droid control ships)
AT-TE (not really a large vehicle - smaller than the AT-AT, so Hasbro ought to..)

I mean come on! Then the collection would truly be complete!

Exhaust Port
07-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Very cool items. That sure would be a great conversation piece.

Hellboy
07-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Wow that Star Destroyer is pretty ambitious. I'm not knocking it or anything but it doesn't appear quite finished. I think it would benefit from a nice coat of grey paint and possibly some windows around the bridge.

I'd take that Sail Barge over the Star Destroyer any day though. That is one beautiful custom if you ask me. To bad we'll never see it produced, at least not in that scale.

Nice job on the Blockade Runner Tycho. :cool:

Kidhuman
07-07-2004, 11:25 PM
DAMN, that looks nice. WIsh I had one.

dindae
07-08-2004, 09:12 AM
I was told it if it were ever feasible, something like that, individual cost reduced by economies of scale from mass-producing, the 5 foot long Blockade Runner would retail for approximately $250 per individual ship.

I told them that DUDE! WE WOULD ALL SAVE UP AND PAY THAT MUCH ANYWAY!

They charged $200 for the Lego Blockade runner and $300 for the Star destroyer. I doubt that any of us who bought those would mind chipping an extra $50 to put figures in it. I know I wouldn't. That puppy would look sweet set up in the garage.

Kidhuman
07-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Someone made this one awhile ago and had it on ebay.

Auction (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3188595825&category=2474)

Kidhuman
07-08-2004, 11:41 AM
And one more for the road.

Tycho
07-08-2004, 11:48 AM
That one's sweet, too.

With this one holding the TIE bomber in the launch bay, it's closer to what I wanted to build.

I also like the idea of having these features on the ISD:

bridge with turbolift, catwalk, crew pits, blast doors
Imperial conference table
trash compactor
detention center
torture chamber
medical bay with bacta tanks
Vader's meditation chamber (even if its not the Executor)
probe droid launch bay
hanger for at least 1 TIE bomber and catwalks for the pilots to get to their ships
turbolaser batteries that can seat Imperial DS Gunner figures

So what did this one sell for, KH?

Kidhuman
07-08-2004, 12:00 PM
It didnt sell. It had 0 bids. Unbelieveable huh? The only reason I think it did not sell, is because you had to pick it up, he wouldnt ship it, and he lived in England.

Tycho
07-08-2004, 01:21 PM
There are a ton of British Star Wars fans - we have a lot of them on our boards here.

So it surprises me that no one wanted to buy it over there.

Next, why would someone build something like this and then sell it?

Profit. Sure. Duh. But unless he makes these in some limited quantity, they are one-of-a-kind. I'd never sell my Blockade Runner.

And I mean, let's say you do specialty construction work or whatever - there are easier ways to make a ton of bucks than settling on a niche market thing like Star Wars. Now perhaps he liked the challenge.

I liked the challenge on figuring out how to build the Tantive IV. But once it's complete (and mine still needs work - especially on the interior as you can tell), it's your masterpiece. It's unique in your collection. How can you give it up?

sluray
07-08-2004, 03:32 PM
That is huge! Imagine if that thing was scaled to the figures!

stillakid
07-08-2004, 03:40 PM
See, I told everyone this was possible! http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=331034&postcount=3

Now doesn't this beat the living crap out of those "modular" designs that a lot of collectors have been asking for? Not only does this look like a Star Destroyer from the outside, but it has complete playability. I'm quite impressed. Hasbro really has little excuse for not making something like this. Buncha weenies they are.

dindae
07-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Next, why would someone build something like this and then sell it?

Maybe he made a second one that was better than this and didn't have room to keep them both. Or perhaps he is getting married. :D

Tycho
07-08-2004, 06:16 PM
See, I told everyone this was possible! Hasbro really has little excuse for not making something like this. Buncha weenies they are.

Yes. It's a pitty we have to make something like this for ourselves if we want one - or pay exorbinant amounts of money to an auctioner (Material quality could still be in question - I made sure my Blockade Runner was solid plastic for durability).

But I gladly risk Hasbro still finally coming out with the real thing even though I built one - and I'd still keep mine. It's probably the greatest amount of dedication someone could give to their Star Wars collection.

Moreso than any prequel ships, I have to say that the Sailbarge, Tantive IV, and an Imperial Star Destroyer are the most paramount vehicles that ought to be included as ship-playsets for our action figures.

If Hasbro won't produce them, they ought to let another company have the license just to manufacture these specifically large capital ships.

Furthermore, how about the profits Hasbro could make from the sale of one of these things?

Figures required for my Tantive IV - which I bought in advance (as much as I could) because I knew I would build this ship ever since I thought of the design):

Captain Antilles
Princess Leia
R2-D2
C-3PO
TC-14 (to stand in for E-3PO)
R4-M9
7 Rebel Fleet Troopers
12 Stormtroopers

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for Jabbas Sailbarge / Sarlaac Battle I have saved figures since I plan to do this scene no matter what:

Jabba the Hutt
Salacious Crumb
2 x Princess Leia Slave Gear (in a collage, I want her on the deck gun, too)
2 x Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight (ditto - one skiff, one on the sailbarge)
C-3PO
Bar-2-D2
R2-D2 Lightsaber Launching - Again, I'd probably use both - maybe even 2 Threepios
6 Gamorrean Guards
Boba Fett
4 Weequays
4 Niktos
4 Baradas
4 Klaatus
Rancor Keeper
Yak Face
Greedo (as Random Rodian)
Ree-Yees
Tessek
Amanaman (by the way, according to the EU, Ephant Mon was too smart to go)
2 x Jawa
Zutton (as the Snivvian)
Bib Fortuna
Han Carbonite (freed from the block)
Chewbacca
Lando Skiff Guard
Pote Snitkin
Max Rebo
Sy Snootles
Joh Yowza
Droopy McCool
Doda Bodonawedo
Barquin Dan
J'Quille
Tanus Spijek
Rappertune

Probably more (at least Hasbro ought to make more anyway)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Star Destroyer - mine will be the Chimera

I have:

Grand Admiral Thrawn
12 Stormtroopers
2 Imperial Officers
12 Snowtroopers
Ozzel (extra who I want to customize into Palleon)

A person with a Star Destroyer (and me if I built one) would need:

Death Star Troopers
Imperial Scanning Crew Dudes
TIE Pilots
Death Star Gunners
Piett (possibly)
Vader (possibly)

possibly more.

Hasbro would have a great chance to sell army-builder packs of figures!

The market will bear Big Ships - especially these 3 and the Falcon.

It would seem to be a no-brainer.

jedi master sal
07-09-2004, 10:28 AM
The market will bear Big Ships - especially these 3 and the Falcon.

It would seem to be a no-brainer.

That's why I bought one of the TRU 6ft Falcon's displays. (I paid $325 for mine-a bargain-but I would have easily paid $500) I have plans to literally gut the insides and make this a playset. Plans have been drawn, just no time and space to complete the job.

Figs for that could go with this:

Just about any Han
Chewie
Various Leia's
Luke w/blastshield helmet
Lando (pilot outfit from end of ESB)
Nein Nunb
Generic Rebels (as briefly seen in ROTJ)
R2
3PO
Scanning crew
Stormtroopers (less you forget we did see them board the Falcon once in the docking bay)
Ben Kenobi

-Sal

Banthaholic
07-07-2006, 02:37 PM
That sailbarge is incredible!

Darth Instigator
07-07-2006, 09:42 PM
that is unbelievable

Jargo
08-03-2006, 07:39 AM
the star destroyers look vile.especially that first one that looks like FIAT did the design. made it as ugly as all their cars. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or shake my head in sadness that anyone would build something that big and ugly. why make something and skimp on details or make an innaccurate thing when you could concentrate on an area like the bridge and get that right.

I seriously cannot imagine hasbro ever making a star destroyer. with the cost of oil forcing the cost of plastic up you people seriously think this is a financially sound idea to make a ship for toy figures at that size? Commercial suicide that is what that would be.

I could however see hasbro churning out a sail barge half the size of the one pictured. They typically half scale the ships anyway. I mean a sail barge that's essentialy an empty box in a funny shape with clip on sails and steering vanes. I can see that. Lift off side, couple of hinged shutters, place for the cannon from POTJ deluxe leia or the multipack of skiff dudes. sell it as a carry case if need be.

Star destroyer? No retailer in their right mnd would say yes to that.

The sail barge looks decent but all that trouble to get it to look right and then they go and shove the flimsiest looking hand rail on it. it's definitely the more impressive of the three though.

JON9000
08-03-2006, 09:02 AM
So it surprises me that no one wanted to buy it over there
People don't live in McMansions over there.

The star destroyer is impressive, but I wouldn't have any place to put it.

That sail barge, on the other hand...

Tycho
08-03-2006, 01:57 PM
shake my head in sadness that anyone would build something that big and ugly. why make something and skimp on details or make an innaccurate thing when you could concentrate on an area like the bridge and get that right.

The idea is that it's a ship - that's what ought to be made - a whole ship. I'm obviously into dioramas, but I'd rather build them inside what a thing is supposed to be, than some cross-section of a corridoor of it. I think when you're concentrating on making the whole thing, you lose track of smaller details. I did when building my Tantive IV. I always wanted to go back into it and add realistic details to it. However, I built the thing to also demonstrate to Hasbro that one could be made, scaled down, no less, to accept the figures. A 1:1 scale with the figures was built by Michael Fright and required a semi-truck to transport it.

Now I'm in complete agreement with the rest of you considering Jabba's sailbarge. I'll let me forums signature speak the rest...

maatu
08-03-2006, 02:21 PM
those are incredible. as i recall the person who mad the first star destroyer is the the same group who made jabba's sail barge. not sure if that is the same star destroyer. i think he is from argentina. but it's alsome. huge is more like it. where would you put it.
tycho.
your rebel blockade runner is cool too.i like it. did anyone ever see the lego battle ship carrier. or whatever it's called. i wish i could find the pictures for it. it had jet planes and you could basically put lego figures all throughout the dam thing.

maatu
08-03-2006, 02:23 PM
i think there should be a sail barge. if there is only one ship to be made . make that then again, i would want a death star playset too. what would you want more. death star or sail barge.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 02:47 PM
The sailbarge for sure:

1) they could make the whole thing and have it look right from without and within.

2) a larger variety of figures could be displayed on it - many aliens incorporate the best sculpts of the line. Humans and droids would be there, as with the Death Star, but the Sailbarge offers the chance to use so much more!

Meanwhile, where would I put something like a star destroyer or my blockade runner?

The Tantive IV used to be on an a covered, rolling audio-video cart that was aligned with the sliding glass door out to my balcony. I'd move it in the event I wanted out on the porch. The day I'm able to get a large 5 bedroom, 2 story home, will be when I reserve space where beds or couches might have gone (or coffee tables) for 2-3 of these large ships. I still want funtioning furniture, so that will be all (no Mon Calamari star cruiser I'd bet, etc.)

- Star Destroyer
- Blockade Runner (built)
- Sailbarge (Hasbro or custom, we'll see)

Jargo
08-03-2006, 05:58 PM
i think there should be a sail barge. if there is only one ship to be made . make that then again, i would want a death star playset too. what would you want more. death star or sail barge.

Sail barge for sure. the sail barge is as it is and you can't go too wrong with it. a death star would like the star destroyer never meet expectations. all the walls are straight on that thing, but to squeeze rooms and levels into a spheroid shaped playset they'd have to curve walls somewhere and make swingeing compromises. it's either going to look as far removed from the death star as the vintage playsets did or it'll just look like a pice o' carp.

sail barge is easier. exterior detailing and one interior room. ok maybe two if they add a pilots station. (barges are usually piloted not captained) I can get excited at a possibility that the sail barge is do-able. everything else I can only see as areas or room based playsets. Or so out of scale it's ridiculous.

retail price is the factor that cuts across any vehicle. on a new mold vehicle the price would be high. at least 60 if we're being optimistic. Most consumers balk at those sort of prices. the sort of numbers you're talking of that would buy a star destroyer or large scale death star are small if you're realistic. it wouldn't even be viable to do any prelim design work on an item of that scale.

but I'm not going to stomp on anyones dreams. we all have our dream star wars items. Attakus is making one of mine and I'll never be able to afford it. I'll be like a poor kid outside a toy store staring in and wishing a rich relative would die and will me their fortune.......:tired:

Blue2th
08-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I don't think the Star Destoyer looks do-able as a production playset. Maybe a bridge playset of a Super Star Destroyer would be cool enough. The Tantive and Sailbarge are though. I would pay 250 to 400 or even more for one of each! Someone needs to manufacture these. If not Hasbro, someone partnered or a separate company.

Kidhuman
08-03-2006, 06:59 PM
The only issue is then having MR or Sideshow do it. We see how much there Falcon is going for, so a Barge would cost a fortune. Good thing I have two kidneys, because one would go up for sale instantly.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 07:16 PM
What are playsets? Seriously.

In the Kenner Days, playsets were environments that resembled those from the movies that had action features.

Examples:

The plastic cantina: action levers moved figures who'd "get shot down" and the doors popped open.

The Death Star: the trash compactor compacted, a trap door let figures in, the elevator worked, the cannon turned and exploded, the bridge retracted.

The Imperial Attack Base (really modeled after the Rebel Trenches) - the ice bridge collapsed, a figure stand cause a character to be shot and fall down, the cannon pivoted, the whole bunker housing blew in on itself.

Newer examples:

Mustafar: the mining platforms collapse, the volcano launches a lava ball, Anakin sinks into the lava (which never happened in the movie)

Geonosis Arena - action levers return, the doors open to let the Reek out, the floor over the droid factory section retracts

Theed Hanger: the walkway collapses, a wall breaks open, action levers move figures, the blast doors open and close

What are diorama sections?

We've had dioramas since the vintage days, too.

Mos Eisley & Cantina - cardboard (Kenner days, w. Blue Snaggletoothe)

Cloud City - cardboard

Jabba's Palace - cardboard (Hasbro)

I don't think the prequels really generated any cardboard sets, but I might be wrong.

Maybe Pride Displays' upcoming Palpatine's Office from ROTS

In any case, which do you guys like more? I'd say a lot of it has to depend on the scene we're talking about. Palpatine's Office doesn't really need action levers and a break-away window, does it? (Well, that kind of would be cool, actually)

But what do you want out of a Star Destroyer or Blockade Runner? a coridoor and bridge, or action features like a working escape pod that launches from a ship and off-screen stuff like an elevator which you knew had to be there - plus a docking bay for at least the TIE Bomber.

I'll so much more go for playsets and finally the full ships.

Tycho
08-03-2006, 07:17 PM
The only issue is then having MR or Sideshow do it. We see how much there Falcon is going for, so a Barge would cost a fortune. Good thing I have two kidneys, because one would go up for sale instantly.

I may need to trade you my Blockade Runner for one of your kidneys ;)

Nice timing on that quote KH.

Kidhuman
08-03-2006, 07:21 PM
If you need it, you got it Tycho.

Blue2th
08-03-2006, 07:44 PM
What are playsets?

In any case, which do you guys like more? I'd say a lot of it has to depend on the scene we're talking about. Palpatine's Office doesn't really need action levers and a break-away window, does it? (Well, that kind of would be cool, actually)

But what do you want out of a Star Destroyer or Blockade Runner? a coridoor and bridge, or action features like a working escape pod that launches from a ship and off-screen stuff like an elevator which you knew had to be there - plus a docking bay for at least the TIE Bomber.

I'll so much more go for playsets and finally the full ships.
Maybe a lever attached to Palpatine's feet to make his twisty mid-air attack! Really though it's nice to have action features, but I would buy them with no action features. The Sailbarge would only need opening hatches and a cannon which is already made.

dindae
08-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Playset/dioramas I would love

Jabba's Palace
Cantina
Death Star
Yoda's Hut (even a release of the old Kenner one)

I like the playsets we got in the modern line as well. The mutaphar playset was probably my least favorite because most of the action features were not in the movie and the space underneath the volcano was not recognizable as a place I saw in the movie.

Tycho
08-04-2006, 08:35 AM
The thing with the prequel playsets that bugged me was the cheap plastic they used on the Theed Hanger. It was so flimsy!

Say what you will about Mustafar, but it was a solid set. I still enjoy launching lava balls whether they were in the movie or not (they were "from a certain point of view.")

The Arena was also a good set, but you really need several of those sets to make a good display.

I originally bought 2, to do 2 different scenes before and after the Clones Attacked so that I could incorporate the Arena Beasts into a scene (they were killed off by the time all the little Jangos arrived on scene - as was Jango himself).

Anyway, I loved the fact that Hasbro discontinued trying to force cardboard on us. It's funny, because now I miss the cardboard a little. Pride Displays have done stuff with cardboard backs that is really impressive. I think since they've used thicker cardboard, it has made a quality difference too.

COMMANDERCODY2795
08-19-2006, 10:34 AM
i want the pride displays palps office, it rule and is my favorite place, i made a totaly kick @$$ lego version, its technichly a play set so im posting it here, ill probably post pics later.and ill include my custom palps and mace in there to. mayba anakaon and a custom eth koth.

Tycho
08-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I wanted to refresh this thread in light of the BMF.

bigbarada
09-06-2008, 02:02 PM
I agree with Jargo, that first Star Destroyer looks terrible. The second one is closer to what you would expect from a toy version, with the deformed (almost cartoony) proportions; but it seems to have a lot of play features that actually belong on a Death Star Playset. I personally don't think a 3 3/4" Star Destroyer will ever be feasible.

For me to want to devote 4-5 feet of display space to it, it would have to be so detailed and chock full of features that it would probably cost $500-$1000. In light of the BMF Falcon, I think Hasbro actually skimped a bit too much on the detail work for a $150 toy. So a Star Destroyer would have to be much, much more detailed than the new Falcon for me to be interested.

Tycho, your Blockade Runner is pretty good for a glorified display case, but you're right in that it needs more detail. The interior is just too wide open and plain compared to the almost claustrophobic feel of the movie set.

That Sail Barge looks pretty good overall; but I don't see it ever being made at that size. Most likely it will be just big enough to fit Jabba with his throne, Leia and a few key palace denizens. So, no more than half the size of that one.

bigbarada
09-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I agree with Jargo, that first Star Destroyer looks terrible. The second one is closer to what you would expect from a toy version, with the deformed (almost cartoony) proportions; but it seems to have a lot of play features that actually belong on a Death Star Playset. I personally don't think a 3 3/4" Star Destroyer will ever be feasible.

For me to want to devote 4-5 feet of display space to it, it would have to be so detailed and chock full of features that it would probably cost $500-$1000. In light of the BMF Falcon, I think Hasbro actually skimped a bit too much on the detail work for a $150 toy. So a Star Destroyer would have to be much, much more detailed than the new Falcon for me to be interested.

Tycho, your Blockade Runner is pretty good for a glorified display case, but you're right in that it needs more detail. The interior is just too wide open and plain compared to the almost claustrophobic feel of the movie set.

That Sail Barge looks pretty good overall; but I don't see it ever being made at that size. Most likely it will be just big enough to fit Jabba with his throne, Leia and a few key palace denizens. So, no more than half the size of that one.

Tycho
09-06-2008, 02:33 PM
To start off with, Hasbro is a TOY manufacturer, not a high-end collectibles supplier. They'll approach any project with that toy philosophy.

So first, you have to be a fan of TOYS.

The second one is closer to what you would expect from a toy version, with the deformed (almost cartoony) proportions; but it seems to have a lot of play features that actually belong on a Death Star Playset.

Well, we've barely seen the interiors of star destroyers, but the Death Star is the most glaring example of Imperial technology that we've explored in detail - so yeah, if you want to have play features, and have them be plausible, you're best off basing it on Imperial tech that you've already got examples of. So I'd just copy the Death Star features and put them on a star destroyer, too.

I personally don't think a 3 3/4" Star Destroyer will ever be feasible.

Why? - OK, you may add more, but you sort of answered my question below:

For me to want to devote 4-5 feet of display space to it, it would have to be so detailed and chock full of features that it would probably cost $500-$1000.

Fortunately, that's not me. I'd buy it if it featured "less than that" but was reasonable at any rate. If I custom-build one, 7 to 9 feet in length would be more like it, btw.

In light of the BMF Falcon, I think Hasbro actually skimped a bit too much on the detail work for a $150 toy.

Oh really? How?

I got burnt-out at the time, and then I was hospitalized and the ship put into storage before I ever got a chance to go back and work on it.

Then I'll evaluate whether I want the TOY or elect to build a custom sailbarge myself.