PDA

View Full Version : Dagobah Luke

Kidhuman
07-08-2004, 01:24 PM
This figure looks OK. Paint app is nice. I want to get another to open so I can play with the arms and head. It looks like he is about 12 years old though, making Antilles look like his dad. In back pack mode, he doesnt seem to have that much articulation. Legs, waist, should head.

Overall B-

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-10-2004, 06:22 PM
I like this figure too. It is a major improvement over the old Dagobah Luke. When comparing this new one, Yoda strapped on his back, with the old figures doing the same thing, it is hilarious and unreal. He has holes in his back to accomidate the Yoda backpack, and the harness doesn't have a real way of connecting with the pack, though it looks great. The new one looks somewhat like Luke, but not too much. He actually kind of looks like the Captain Antilles figure. At least the two heads look alike, though the expressions are different, and they work. The arms and heads fit on very nicely and come off without too much effort. The pegs are bigger than those of the General Dodonna/Captiain Antilles figures. On his stand, which is the only one that is different in this wave, there is a foot peg, and also some handprints. It also connects well to any of the others. In handstand mode, Luke can stand pretty well on his own, though it doesn't hurt to put his hands in the handprints. Slide the fingers into the small holes first, though. It's cool, since Yoda can stand on either of Luke's feet.

I'm gonna go with an A- on this one.

Kidhuman
07-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Hey you got your name back. Cool schtuff :beard: to you

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Hey you got your name back. Cool schtuff :beard: to you
Yeah, thanks. First AOL wouldn't let me use my e-mail on my old e-mail address, so I had to change it, twice. The first time I tried to update my profile, it locked up. I had to e-mail SirSteve and fix it, but in the meantime, I used the name Grievous. It's good to have my old name back, and I probably won't use the other one again. :)

Turbowars
07-11-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm more than happy the way this figure turned out. I give a big 2 thumbs up for the use of extra arms and head. The whole line is just awesome!:)

plasticfetish
07-12-2004, 04:49 PM
A great toy! (More from me later.)

There's new pics in the Database for those that haven't found him...

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=1708

Kidhuman
07-12-2004, 09:23 PM
I watched ESB last night and this figure is actually a damn good likeness of Luke. I was in awe. He does look like a young kid in the movie

plasticfetish
07-19-2004, 04:30 PM
It's a fact, the gimmick can make or break a toy on many levels. A bad gimmick will ruin the look of a toy, and it can sadly effect it's quality as well. (Does it fall apart when you push that button or twist that arm?) Most importantly, to me anyway, it can also completely kill the toy's play value. Luke Skywalker (OTC #01) is a figure that I've really been waiting for. In fact, I've been waiting for a figure like this one long before I'd ever heard about it or saw those early prototype photos. I've been waiting for a figure like this, a figure that manages to use a "gimmick" to completely enhance the value of the toy, for quite some time.

How's the packaging? Having found this figure at retail, I've gotta say, it was exciting heading over to the toy isle and seeing a row of figures on black and silver cards. They really stand out -- sure, maybe it's just because they're "new," and maybe it's because for the first time in a long while we've gotten away from having a graphic in the upper corner. Mostly though, what grabs you is that you're looking at the kind of card back that you've wanted to see all along. A black starry background, the chrome silver "Star Wars" logo with that vintage style double border around the bubble, and a great image from the film behind the figure.

For someone like me, that considers the early card backs to be little works of art, these are equally great -- maybe even (gasp!) better. The bubble is still full sized, but has a nice rounded edge at the top, below where the figure's name is -- that being another nice "vintage" detail, putting the name up under the logo. Luke comes packed snugly in plastic, in front of the stand, which hides the little baggy full of extra parts. The paper in front of the figure shows the "original trilogy collection" logo, as well as a nice photo of Luke. One thing that I'm really impressed with, is that the photos used for the card back and the bubble art are great. No badly blurred, pixelated or poorly Photoshoped stuff here -- it's done very well, and it makes a big difference. The film title is on the right side of the bubble card, and the figure name, number and included parts are on the left. On the bottom, the only really interesting thing you'll notice, is that the words "Jedi Master Points" have been removed. (Snort.)

There's two carded versions being found out there, one with Luke standing on his feet with the "harness" on and another with Luke standing on his hands. The version that I found was the handstand Luke, and I'll admit, it's cool looking! If the bubble wasn't dented on mine, I wouldn't have opened this one. But I did...

How's the figure look? Frankly, the figure looks great! If you didn't know by now, Luke comes packed with two sets of arms, two heads and a harness that'll make more sense when you buy the Yoda figure (OTC #02) as well. One set of arms allows him to stand on his hands, after you lock them into the palm shaped indents on the base. There's an "upside-down" head that goes with them, and all together you've got one of the most unique display options offered for a Star Wars figure. This face is well done -- I'll admit, I was skeptical about how much I'd like it from what I'd seen early on, but I really like it in person. The detail's great, the paint is simple (eyes, teeth, brows, hair) but tight, and it looks as much like Mark Hammill upside-down as anything we're ever gonna see. Nice! The handstand arms are well sculpted also. They seem to be flexing under the weight of Luke's body, right down to the detail of the bones on the back of the hands. Nice! The body, as basic as it is with tank-top, fatigues and boots, turned out fine as well. There's some good basic texture and paint. I'm most impressed with the neck, and not just the sculpt, but with the fact that they managed to cover every part that we see with paint. Without a doubt, the ball jointed neck works well here. The second set of arms are bent, with hands that grip the included harness. They're done very well also, but look a little weird without the harness -- which is a simple light blue plastic with silver paint on the buckles. The other head is good, the face is sculpted as accurately as the first, and it comes lightly mud stained, as does the other head and all of the arms.

Another great looking element is the base. Someone put a decent amount of effort into this thing and it shows. The texture -- leaf, root, vine and stone -- looks super. I'm happy with how well the hand indentations, not only hold the figure, but how cool they look. Checkout the detail of the crease marks from the palms in there. Nice!

How does the figure feel? If this figure had been made poorly, it would have been a complete failure. As is, and as far as I'm concerned, the production quality is excellent. It really makes me happy to be able to say that also. There's so much going on with this toy, with the arms and heads that can pop on and off, as well as the way that it interacts with the base and the Yoda figure, that it's great to see everything being built just right. The joints are all tight, the plastic is a good quality (just a little flexible for the arms) and the heads are both well molded and solid. Here we've got a figure that sets the bar pretty high for others to come -- just the same, you kind of wonder why a few of the past "gimmicky" figures couldn't have been built as well.

What about play value? As mentioned, Luke comes with multiple arms and heads, but he's also got some pretty limited articulation -- neck, shoulders, waist and hips. His poses are extremely scene specific and this limits play value for sure, but the possibilities that come from being able to switch around the parts, more than makes up for this. I have my doubts about how hard it would be for a kid to switch those arms out, or just how long they'd last before breaking, but it's easily worth five dollars to find out. Combine Luke with Yoda, which you need to do in order to get the most from this figure, and you've got something really fun. When it comes down to it, "fun" is everything.

Hasbro did something unique with this Luke Skywalker figure, and I think they did it well. Without a doubt the gimmick really does make the toy, and as a result, I'd say that you should more than just try to find this one -- it's something that you should definitely do.

bigbarada
08-05-2004, 01:38 PM
This is easily the best Luke figure I've ever seen.

My only minor complaint is that he tend to lean backwards with Yoda on his back and eventually looks like he could just pop right off of the stand. I think the plastic they used for his legs is just too soft to handle the imbalance of Yoda on his back.

Other than that, he is a solid A+ figure to me!