PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Tales New Format to be In Continuity, include Yuuzhan Vong

Tycho
07-08-2004, 03:39 PM
I just read at RS something I've longed to hear:

SW Tales will be moving to in-continuity stories, with clear timeline locations.

They will also be doing all eras including New Jedi Order.

The first NJO adventure will feature Kyle Katarn fighting the YV!

I can't wait to see Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin Solo!

All I can say is I'm much more excited about SW Tales than I've ever been!

Rocketboy
07-08-2004, 04:04 PM
This is a good news/bad news thing for me.

Glad for the change. Tales hasn't been that good lately. The new issue in particular was horrid.
Hopefully with the new format they can attract better writers and artists. Popular ones would be nice. They actually got Garth Ennis a while ago. I think Kevin Smith expressed some interest at one time in writing a SW story.

Bad for me because of the NJO stuff, but I can always skip those stories/ NJO themed issues (if they have any).

I think they should have decided continuity in a story by story basis. I liked it when they had fun with Star Wars (when it was actually funny, IE, A Death Star Is Born). A good mix of in and out of continuity would've been great.

El Chuxter
07-08-2004, 05:43 PM
I agree on the continuity thing. "A Death Star Is Born" and the Pulp Fiction takeoff were especially funny, though some of the non-continuity stuff really sucked hard. The weird CG thing about the Kessel Run especially made me want to puke, and odd stories like the very young "Minch" defeating a Dark Jedi on Dagobah, which made it obvious that no one did any research into backstory at all, were killing the book.

At what point was it decided that the original series was "Infinities," does anyone recall? I remember the earliest issues (minus the humor bits) were pretty rooted in the continuity, but sometime after the retarded Vader/Maul match-up, this was thrown out.

So did Mara never meet Madine? Did Obi-Wan never go undercover as a young spacer to defeat a crime lord in a duel? Or the shockingly-titled "The Death of Captain Tarpals"? These were great stories, and I'll always think of them as "real."

I'm not as concerned with DH getting big-name writers and artists as I am with them getting quality creators. I'd like to see a currently unknown "next big thing" show up in this anthology, provided he or she is good enough to craft a compelling story about SW characters.

Vortex
07-09-2004, 05:19 PM
I heard about this change from the guy at my comic shop, and he added that it was going to be one story per Tales. But I have yet to hear or see if this is true.

Either way, I'm actually excited to see some continuity within this graphic novel. The latest Tales was garbage and half of the stories I started to read, got bored and moved onto the next without finishing that story. I usually don't mind a little creative license and artistic style, but man, this one looked like the stuff I drew on my folders back in grade school. I had no interest the latest tales, so I welcome a change and some story lines that fit.

So bring on the new Tales.

El Chuxter
07-09-2004, 05:31 PM
I read on the Dark Horse website that it will be 2-3 longer stories (roughly 22 pages) per issue, which should be nice.

I saw #20 last night (the all Ewoks, Gungans, and Jawas issue). While I have nothing against any of those species, and great tales can be told about any of them, this issue was not worthy of being recycled into toilet paper! It was all humor stories and not a single one was actually funny! (What the hell was that weird George R Binks story? Jeez.)

I don't mind the funny stuff, but give me "Skippy the Jedi Droid" over this dreck any day!

And there can be funny stories told within continuity. Case in point: C-3PO.

mastermatt24
07-12-2004, 09:32 PM
I would love to see some NJO comics.. I think it would be great if they adapted the books into graphic novels. :D