PDA

View Full Version : Anakin's a bad role model

Fulit
12-19-2001, 02:07 PM
After watching the forbidden love trailer today for the first time, my 2 year old boy, upon seeing a certain part concerning Anakin, flung his arm out in the air and declared, "a-holden me BACK!". The initial hilarity has not worn off, but now when you try to get him to do something, or just for no reason at all, he'll fling something across the room and announce that we're holding him back. I think I'm raising a future Sith over here. :D

master jedi
12-19-2001, 03:34 PM
Tell him he's holding you back and see what he does.

LTBasker
12-19-2001, 06:10 PM
I'd put away my Tusken Raider figs if I were you... :D

Obi-Don
12-20-2001, 09:20 AM
You should be OK unless he starts making a double bladed lightsaber. ;)

GNT
12-20-2001, 07:51 PM
But on the other hand if he hates Pokemon his totally normal :)

Fulit
12-20-2001, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by GNT
But on the other hand if he hates Pokemon his totally normal :)

Oh, fear not, Pokemon is banned in my house, along with Barney and Santa Claus. Those three things, IMO, are inherrently evil.

bigbarada
12-21-2001, 12:45 AM
I can understand Santa Claus and Barney, but why ban Pokemon?

Fulit
12-21-2001, 10:14 AM
Didn't you see that episode of South Park where it was uncovered that the Japanese are using Pokemon to take over the world?

JediTricks
12-22-2001, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
Didn't you see that episode of South Park where it was uncovered that the Japanese are using Pokemon to take over the world? Whoa whoa, that was "Chinpokomon", completly different! ;)

Fulit
12-22-2001, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Whoa whoa, that was "Chinpokomon", completly different! ;)

Oh that's right, I forgot. :rolleyes: :p

And, LTBasker, I found a carded Tusken Raider among my kids toys the other day, hidden. I don't know how he got it from my stuff. I thought of your comment when I saw it. :D

Obi-Don
12-24-2001, 07:49 AM
Ban Santa Claus did you say?

He didn't mean it Santa really.What? Lump of coal?Naughty List!

bigbarada
12-24-2001, 10:34 AM
My parents never allowed me or my brother to believe in Santa as kids. They believed, correctly, that he takes away from the true meaning of Christmas.

Christmas is one of the most important of Christian holidays and it has been neutered by politcal correctness to becoming a meaningless shopping spree. The Jews have Hannukah, African-Americans have Kwanza, so why does Christianity have to share one of it's greatest holidays with non-believers? If you don't believe in Jesus and the virgin birth then just don't celebrate Christmas.

Just like commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ by telling kids that a giant bunny rabbit came and laid chocolate eggs in the night.:confused:

Grif
12-24-2001, 10:41 AM
I agree with Bigbarada. I mean dosen't Christmas have Christ in it's name? Today Christmas is all commercial!:mad:

Fulit
12-24-2001, 01:49 PM
It's cool if other people want to do the Santa thing with their kids, personally I consider it a kind of a lie, and a strange one at that, and I don't want to lie to my kid.

Jargo
12-24-2001, 03:04 PM
As someone who doesn't believe in god and doesn't really subscribe to christmas in any form, I can't see the point in celebrating in december when it's been proven without a shadow of a doubt that Jesus was born in September. Nor can I see the point of making a big fuss about spending all our cash to pass on pointless merchandise to others. Okay so it's a nice time to gather loved ones around and bathe in the glow of togetherness but that's a rarity these days. Mostly it's a gathering of people who would rather be anywhere else but with the family. More divorces are caused by christmas than by any other reason including adultery. More people die at christmas than at any other time of year. More accidents happen at christmas than at any other time of year. It isn't really a season of good cheer anymore.
I think if there are any who still get a kick out of it all they are in a minority. It's mostly just conditioning that leads us to put ourselves through the rituals of a yuletide festival of indulgence and woe.
It was a commercial company who gave us Santa as we know him today. Blame the Coca Cola company for the evil of commercial crassness. Blame Queen Victoria of England for the christmas tree and the decorations and the christmas card. Blame Charles dickens for the Turkey with all the trimmings.

But if you want to adhere to a real religious festival then there is no christmas at all. Just a prayer and a lit candle for remembrance sake.

Happy christmas everybody!!!!!:D

bigbarada
12-24-2001, 07:42 PM
I think Jargo's going to be visited by three spirits tonight.;) :D

Anyone catch the Futurama Christmas episode, where the Santa-Bot deemed everone was naughty and killed as many people as he could on Christmas Eve? :sur:

JediTricks
12-25-2001, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Christmas is one of the most important of Christian holidays and it has been neutered by politcal correctness to becoming a meaningless shopping spree. The Jews have Hannukah, African-Americans have Kwanza, so why does Christianity have to share one of it's greatest holidays with non-believers? If you don't believe in Jesus and the virgin birth then just don't celebrate Christmas. Yeah! So what if the Christians usurped the winter celebration from the pagans' winter solstice festival? So what if the potential for glad tidings, family togetherness, and peaceful joy between all peoples transcends religion, race, gender, and all other barriers?

Hanukkah as we know it in the US is basically a sham to compete with the Christmas holiday, sewn together from the celebration of new altar at the temple of Jerusalem and the deliverance from religious persecution in one of the Jews' darkest times. In essence, Hanukkah is a minor Jewish holiday which has become a celebration of Jewish culture in a non-Jewish world.

The winter solstice is a time for giving and receiving joy, mostly manifested as gift-giving and merriment, and we who live in predominantly Christian cultures are inundated with Christmas imagery and lore but do not believe in Christianity might still have the desire to cross boundaries and join in the fun because it's better to feel like part of something nice in a large crowd rather than feeling left out. Instead of trying to weed out non-believers, perhaps Christians should adhere to the intentions of Jesus Christ's message - be good to each other.

That ep of Futurama wasn't as funny as the first ep with the year 3000's Santa-bot, who was voiced that time by John Goodman (that's where we established that it's pronounced "exmass" and the santa-bot is cruel. Last night's ep was funny, but it wasn't nearly as good as that first one IMO, it was more mayhem than anything else.

bigbarada
12-25-2001, 06:18 PM
Christians don't seem to be the ones having trouble being good to each other at this point in history. The Muslims could use a few lessons in that.

2-1B
12-26-2001, 01:33 AM
Easy bigbarada - "The Muslims" is as loaded as referring to McVeigh and his conspirators as "The U.S. Servicemen". Or "The Catholics" in keeping with a terrorist role call.

JediTricks' point on the "sharing" of Christmas is a valid one. While attending a Christmas Eve religious ceremony, the celebrant lamented this so called political correctness and the washing away of the "true" meaning of Christmas. Yet, so many people still attended and celebrated the religious significance. While some people may not like the way others celebrate Christmas, they should be glad they live in a place where people can choose how and if they celebrate anything.

As a Catholic I extend wishes of peace and safety to all SSG forum members !