PDA

View Full Version : SOTA Toys Presents: Now Playing!!!

Beast
07-08-2004, 10:46 PM
It looks like there will be a third big boy in the 'Horror Movie Figure' game. Sota toys has just announced a line of figures that will feature many of the Men, Mutants, Monsters, and Maniacs from cinema cult classics. Including characters that McFarlane has basically said will never be done. Series 1 will include Toxie (Toxic Avenger) Dr. Peyton Westlake (Darkman), and a Nightmare Demon Nazi (American Werewolf in London). Hopefully they'll be able to do a figure of David Kessler in Werewolf form with Meatloaf also. :)

A MovieManiacs.net EXCLUSIVE: NOW PLAYING by SOTA

They are characters that have found a following among the fans. Fun flicks
full of Men, Mutants, Monsters and Maniacs, they are all simply cool and cult classics! And courtesy of SOTA Toys, they are NOW PLAYING!

Beginning this year, SOTA Toys will be turning the characters of classic and cult movies into dynamic action figures. The figures are approx. 7 inches scale and each character comes with character specific bases.

“NOW PLAYING is really a labor of love for me, “ said SOTA Toys President
Jerry Macaluso, “I’m a fan just like everyone else when it comes to horror
and genre films. So I’ve heard all the request and ‘wish lists’ over the
years and thought, ‘Why can’t these be made?’ NOW PLAYING has been almost a year in development and I’m really proud of the lineup of movies we’ve got for NOW PLAYING… and even more titles are to come!”

NOW PLAYING’s first series of action figures will include characters from
the movies DARKMAN, THE TOXIC AVENGER and AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, with three more NOW PLAYING lines due in 2005.

NOW PLAYING Finished Prototypes will be debut at the SOTA Toys booth (#4129) at the Comic Con International in San Diego, July 21-25, 2004

NOW PLAYING SERIES 1 will be available through retailers in November 2004.

*NOW PLAYING Series 1 Descriptions:

-Dr. Peyton Westlake (Darkman)
Dr. Peyton Westlake was a brilliant scientist working on a temporary
synthetic skin for temporarily help burn victims. A confrontation with a
greedy businessman and his gangsters leaves Westlake’s lab destroyed, his
face horribly scarred, body burned and unable to feel pain. Using the
synthetic skin to appear as almost anyone, Peyton exacts his revenge upon
those who took his life from him. Because he is no longer Peyton Westlake…
He IS Darkman.

-Toxie (The Toxic Avenger)
Pity Melvin Junko! He’s the ultimate nerd-a 98 lb weakling abused by
everyone he meets. But when punks chase Melvin into radioactive toxic
waste, he is now longer just himself-He’s the Toxic Avenger! Now Toxie’s
fighting crime, reaping revenge on those who persecuted him and becoming a
true hero… from New Jersey!

-Nightmare Demons (An American Werewolf in London)
Poor David Kessler. Not only is he dealing with his best friend’s savage
murder on the moors of England and the fact that he might be a werewolf-he
is also having strange and terrifying dreams. The worst involves the attack
of his peaceful family by horrific, militaristic demons! The terrifying
creatures ransack his home, kill his family members, set fire to his home
then finally slit his throat! But for David, the nightmare doesn’t end
there...

Keep watching MovieManiacs.net for more info on Now Playing and other great SOTA toys.
http://moviemaniacs.net/news.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-08-2004, 10:54 PM
More info from Sota Toys themselves:

Hey Everyone.

These are not Riddick style. They are limited articulation concentrating on sculpture first.Very similar to what NECA is doing with Halloween.

Example..Darkman has ball joint shoulders ( hidden by his trench), ball joint neck, Swivel mid arm, swivel wrists, swivel waist, swivel ankle, swivel upper leg.

I know a lot of our fans wish these were fully articulated but my feeling ( as a collector of these types of figures) is that we should follow the trend already established so we dont clash with fans already existing collections. Also, we are not limiting ourselves to horror..expect sci fi and action as well. We are also not limiting ourselves to just the main characters so for something like American Werewolf expect to see a few differnt things.

My background is in special effects and these films are very special to me as they inspired me as a kid ( I sculpted the Toxic Avenger myself for part 2 and 3 ). While we do hope to make a few bucks at this its just as important that these characters simply get made into figures as it didnt seem anyone else was doing it. As a matter of fact I was SHOCKED when I started to call the studios and found out 'someone else' hadnt already signed these licenses. And by 'licenses' I mean we now have almost 20 movies in the bag. we will slowly announce a new set of licenses as each wave is released.

Im really excited about this and I hope we get the support we need to make this a very long lasting line.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Ji'dai
07-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Gee thanks, like I need something else to blow my money on!

The Nightmare Demons from An American Werewolf in London are more interesting to me than the others though. Hope they turn out well.

Beast
07-09-2004, 01:30 AM
Another Minor Update from Sota:

keep in mind we're only going to announce three licenses at a time. So you can speculate all ya want but my lips are sealed...well except I think we'll announce series 2 at SDCC just to have some fun. Its got something I think a lot of people might want.

Also, Im not confirming or denying any other licenses BUT BUT BUT..there are some lines McFarlane never did simply because the people who own them wont play ball. So while we're trying our best to fulfill all your requested characters some just aint happen ever it seems.

Finally..theres FOUR different demons in the dream sequence to American Werewolf In London..just an FYI..and yeah we're making the wolf but it aint in the first line.

Guess you'll see me around more now... also..as any of you who follow Street Fighter know Im very open to suggestions. If you have any suggestions to make these figures the best they can be please post them on this thread..I'll check it every couple days and do my best to answer your questions.

Now back to City Of Heroes!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-09-2004, 01:53 PM
More info from Sota Toys. Cool that Darkman will come with three different interchangable heads. Hopefully it's:

1. Liam Neeson Head
2. Bandaged Head
3. Scarred Head - (Confirmed)

Whew

lots of posts... I'll try and answer some questions.

There are three different versions of Darkmans head. Thats all I can say for now.

His trench is soft pvc which will of course limit the movement of the shoulders but theres not much we can do about that unless we used cloth and then it wouldnt really fit into the rest of the line.

Toxie is a little bit of an amalgamation of 1 and 2.

Im very tight with Troma so if the demand is there I think you'll eventually see a SGT KABUKIMAN.

I would say its not out of the question to see a limited artic Riddick in the future.

We plan a lot of stuff from American Werewolf. As long as the line doesnt tank I hope to make a transforming David.

Also a couple of the licenses have actually been done before BUT they werent done to my expectations ( and they left out some cool figures they could have done) so we're gonna revisit them down the road and hopefully really improve on what was previously released by someone else.

We are still actively aquiring more film licenses though we've slowed down and are being a little more choosey since we now have almost 20 to pick through.

One of my big concerns is how many figures a year can we release before we overload the market. I dont want to do that but theres sooo many characters I want to make its hard to not put out 20 a year... Right now we plan three lines a year each with three figures. We're finding the retailers like the three figure lines better than 5 or 6. Plus it allows us to put out more lines a year..so tell me...

would you rather three waves of three figures a year or four waves of three figures a year?

Finally, post all comments and suggestions here and I'll read them. Unless you REALLY have to try not to email me though because I had over 200 emails asking questions about the line this morning.. I'd like to answer them all but I honestly dont have the time.

Thanks!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Well, Series II has been announced. And just like Series I, it has some very intresting choices. The Creeper (from Jeepers Creepers), Killer Clown (from Killer Clowns from Outer Space), and Imhotep (The Mummy Returns). All of them sound good, but only Imhotep really intrests me. Nice to finally get a decent figure of Imhotep. Also, color picture of the Series I head sculpts. News is from AFTimes. :)

SOTA NEWS: NOW PLAYING LINE ANNOUNCEMENT!!! -@ 17:58 PST
NOW PLAYING FULL RELEASE INFO

July 16, 2004 - They first came to life up on the movie screen- heroes,
villains, creatures, monsters and madmen. These film characters were
bigger, badder and cooler than we ever thought possible. And courtesy of
SOTA Toys, they are NOW PLAYING!

This year, SOTA Toys are turning classic and cult movie characters into
dynamic action figures. The figures are approx. 7 inches scale and each
character comes with character specific bases.

"NOW PLAYING is really a labor of love for me, " said SOTA Toys President
Jerry Macaluso, „These are movies that I've grown up with and always loved
watching over the years. So when the opportunity came for me to make these
classic characters into action figure, I dove head first into it. This has
been almost a year in development and I'm really proud of the lineup of
movies we've got for NOW PLAYING and even better titles are to come!"

NOW PLAYING‚s first series of action figures will include characters from
the movies DARKMAN, THE TOXIC AVENGER and AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON. Series 2 will include JEEPERS CREEPERS 2, KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE and THE MUMMY RETURNS, with more NOW PLAYING figures due in 2005.

NOW PLAYING Finished Prototypes will be debut at the SOTA Toys booth (#4129) at the Comic Con International in San Diego, July 21-25, 2004

NOW PLAYING SERIES 1 will be available through retailers in November 2004.

*NOW PLAYING Series 1 Descriptions:

-Dr. Peyton Westlake (Darkman)
Dr. Peyton Westlake was a brilliant scientist working on a temporary
synthetic skin for temporarily help burn victims. A confrontation with a
greedy businessman and his gangsters leaves Westlake‚s lab destroyed, his
face horribly scarred, body burned and unable to feel pain. Using the
synthetic skin to appear as almost anyone, Peyton exacts his revenge upon
those who took his life from him. Because he is no longer Peyton Westlake
He IS Darkman.

-Toxie (The Toxic Avenger)
Pity Melvin Junko! He‚s the ultimate nerd-a 98 lb weakling abused by
everyone he meets. But when punks chase Melvin into radioactive toxic
waste, he is now longer just himself-He‚s the Toxic Avenger! Now Toxie‚s
fighting crime, reaping revenge on those who persecuted him and becoming a
true hero from New Jersey!

-Nightmare Demons (An American Werewolf in London)
Poor David Kessler. Not only is he dealing with his best friend‚s savage
murder on the moors of England and the fact that he might be a werewolf-he
is also having strange and terrifying dreams. The worst involves the attack
of his peaceful family by horrific, militaristic demons! The terrifying
creatures ransack his home, kill his family members, set fire to his home
then finally slit his throat! But for David, the nightmare doesn‚t end
there . . .

*NOW PLAYING Series 2 Descriptions:

-The Creeper ( Jeepers Creepers 2)
A bus of high school students has been disabled and people are being picked
off one by one by something that is not human. A creature that appears
only every 23 years and then only for 23 days... when it gets to feed. Now
with a taste for blood, the Creeper will not be denied what it wants the
most-to feed on its final day!

-Killer Klown(Killer Klowns From Outer Space )
When a group of kids track a shooting star to where it lands, they encounter
they strangest sight-a giant circus tent populated by clowns. But these
are no ordinary clowns but aliens from another world! And they‚ve come for
us armed with evil shadow creatures, diabolical balloons and cocoons made of
cotton candy! Now its kids of the town versus the Killer Klowns from Outer
Space!

-Imhotep the Mummy(The Mummy Returns )
In 1933, Egyptian High Priest Imhotep has returned from the grave once more
to be reunited with his love, Anck Su Namun. Now he plans on gaining
control of the mythical man-beast known as the Scorpion King and with his
undead army take the world for his own. But until he has gained certain
body parts back, he must remain a desiccated mummy corpse.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
07-17-2004, 02:03 AM
The Darkman figure sounds great to me. I wonder if it comes packed with 3 heads, or if they'll put out 3 carded variations.

Beast
07-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Well, we got to finally see the first wave at SDCC. And it looks great. The Darkman, Nightmare Demon, and even Toxie look wonderful. Sota is going to really give McFarlane a run for the money with this line. As for the variant heds on Darkman PF, he'll come packed with the bandaged and burnt heads. But there will be a 'chase' version that will be packed with head #1 and #3. No clue what the chase version will be, hopefully Liam Neeson and not Arnold Vosloo. Looks like the Nightmare Demon may have a interchangable head also. And it seems like they 'may' do the other two heads also. Here's the links:

http://69.93.119.2/photo/1/showgallery.php?cat=1445&page=1
http://afigures.com/g/?mode=album&album=2004_SDCC%2FSota%2FNow_Playing

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
07-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Oh yeah, those look cool... nice stuff. I'm gonna be at the Con tomorrow, so I'll be able to see them up close. :)

RooJay
07-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Who needs Movie Maniacs now that we've got this?! :D

That Darkman figure looks Fan-frickin'-tastic!

plasticfetish
07-24-2004, 04:10 AM
Some pics of what I saw in San Diego. These were of the large scale prototype that they had out...

Beast
09-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Well, it sounds like not all is going well with 'Now Playing'. While fan support has been astounding, retailer support has been null. And if they don't get some support, the line may become a online only sort of thing. Which means it probably won't last long. Which is a real shame. Jerry from Sota Toys is trying to get a grass roots support campaign worked up.

so far both Rick Baker and Stan Winston are on board to work with us on making these great.

Series 1 is being manufactured now.

Series 2 is just about sculpted.

Series 3 is begining to be sculpted.

Series 4 -6 is sort of decided but things can move around depending on what new licenses filter in.

Heres where I go into salesman mode.

As many of you might know when we announced Street Fighter the fans were excited but the retail stores couldnt give a crap. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM refused to carry the line. They said it was a dead license. WE knew they were wrong but how to prove it to them??

Well thankfully the fans made LOUD noises on the internet and to the stores directly. Emails, requesting them to the store managers, etc... It was quite amazing to watch and eventually the retailers ( those geniuses they are) got the message and Street Fighter will now be carried by Suncoast, Sam Goody, Mediaplay, Hot Topic, Tower, Gamestop.

So guess what.. same thing is happening with Now Playing ( no surprise from my end).

The retailers actually believe that the fans dont care about these films. They think all you care about is Michael Myers, Leatherface, Freddy, Jason and Pinhead. They are using the fact that MM 7 has crappy pre-orders and most of McFarlanes stuff is pegwarming to try and tell us ..THE MARKET IS DEAD.

Now we all know thats bull**** and the buyers dont have a freaking clue. But it would be great if the fans of these more obscure films made them selves heard...

post on any website you can think of how cool this line is going to be.. make waves.. get more people who dont frequent these boards to know about the line. Copy and paste this email everywhere you can..whether its a toy board or not.. as long as it pertains to horror/sci fi,etc.. We're doing ads in Fango, Rue morgue, Cinescape, toyfare, tomarts,etc... try and do what YOU can from your end.

Look..even if the stores dont carry them Im making them...just like I was going to do with Street Fighter ( which by the way AFTER the fans got behind has become the highest pre-ordered line this year according to my sources) . They just might be more infrequent and I wont be able to dip into the REALLY obscure stuff as much. It would be a shame but the line would still exist.

Thanks everyone for listening to my rant!

At worst it will live as an 'Online' line.. problem with that is yeah, we'd have to raise the price to $17.99.

Thing about Now Playing that makes it dififcult to succeed online only is this... NP will appeal to tens of thousands of people who dont generally collect action figures but would LOVE a Killer Klown if they knew it existed. Yanno what I mean? You have to get these things in front of people so they know it exists. These are the people who dont come to these forums or read Toyfare.

Bombarding Amazon and all the online retailers as well as all the web site forums with requests certainly helps a lot!

To be honest we need to make ourselves pests. It worked with Street Fighter. It got to the point where the retailers were calling US.

I dont want SOTA to become another Mainstream company. I want to do a lot fo stuff that you never thought you'd see. We definately need a lot of support to get it all off the ground.

Thanks!

I think if I give you guys that info Im crossing a line and can get into some bad blood... but..I believe someone has posted a lot of the info on www.action-figure.com in the Now Playing thread in their main forum.

The main two yer after are Spencers and Musicland ( Musicland is Suncoast, Sam Goody and Media Play all wrapped in one company).

Other than that its Tower, Hot Topic and Gamestop.

I dont realistically see any other chain retailers taking the line.

And of course theres all your local mom and pop comic stores as well as every internet site you can think of that has horror and sci fi fans on it.

Thanks !

Suncoast:
Suncaost Store Locator: 1-888-606-3342
Suncoast Gift Card: 1-800-371-4428
Suncoast/Replay: 1-888-replay1
Suncoast Help E-Mail: Help@suncoast.com

Gamestop:
Gamestops Corparate Headquaters: 1-817-424-2000
Address: 2250 William D tate Avenue,Grapevine TX 76051

Tower Records:
916-373-3050 Outside US
Monday-Friday 6:00 a.m.- 6:00 p.m., US Pacific Time

Store Inquires:
Mts., Inc.
Tower Records
2500 Del Monte Street
West Sacramento, CA 95691
Phone (916) 373-2500
Inquiries Tower Records: customer_relations@tower.com

Spencers Gifts:

1-800-321-2497
E-mail: questservice@spencergifts.com

Electronic Botique:

1-877-432-9675. Hours of operation: Open 7 days a week, 8:00 am to midnight EST. . Calls are toll-free from the United States and Canada. Please send e-mail inquiries to help@ebgames.com.

If you didn't find what you needed here, feel free to call our Customer Service center at 1-877-432-9675 to speak with a Customer Service Representative. If you prefer, contact us by e-mail. Hours of operation: Open 7 days a week, 8:00 am to midnight EST.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
09-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Perhaps if they'd let us know what other licenses we can expect it might help. Those of us who aren't interested in the first series figures might become more vocal about wanting to see it reach stores if we knew other characters we might want will be coming in future assortments. I don't understand - barring any pending licensing issues - what the big deal is about keeping the secret, especially if the line might not make it to stores anyway. Personally, I'm really pulling for this line, but only with the prospect of other licenses that might get done through it. I can tell you that even though I'm liking what I see already, I'm not really planning on buying anything but Darkman from the first assortment. They all look great, but I'm just not a fan of Toxie and I don't really care for the American Werewolf Nightmare Demons (they only showed up for a second in the movie anyway. I would've much preferred the werewolf itself - even if it were the only figure made from the movie!) I'd be all over some Killer Klowns, however. There are a lot of other licenses out there that might even convince me to collect the entire line if I knew they were coming. I'm sure lots of other people wuld be more vocal about it if they knew more of their favorites were on the way.

Beast
10-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Sorry, took me a while to get back to this. He has about 30 licenses lined up, some real biggies also. Actor likeness rights have been a bit of a problem, but he's doing what he can. I'll see if I can find some of his posts about the line over on the horror board I'm on. As for not revealing what licenses he has, it makes it more of a suprise when the figures are revealed, and also gives competitors an idea of what licenses they are going at, or haven't gotten yet.

By the way, here's pictures of the variant Nazi Demon heads for the American Werewolf Nightmare Demon figures. The cases will be packed this way:

4 Darkman's
4 Toxic Avenger
1 Demon / Bald head/ helmet head/gun
1 Demon/ Bald head/ helmet head/ knife
1 Demon/ Bald head/ Wolf head/ gun
1 Demon/ Bald head/ Wolf head/ knife

The Exclusive Nazi Demon w/ Mohawk Head will be exclusive to a so far unannounced retailer. Though I'm betting it's the same as who is getting the Darkman Exclusive. :)

The Darkman figures will come with both Bandaged and Unbandaged heads. And the Tower Records exclusive will come with those two heads, and an exclusive Half-Bandaged head. :)

http://www.horrorchannel.com/dread/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=221

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
10-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Previews are up for Now Playing Series 2:

NOW PLAYING SERIES 2 IMAGES!
The figures will be available April 2005, with each one standing approximately 7 inches tall, and each coming with a character specific base. The manufacturers suggested retail price for each figure has an SRP of $13.99. More images of NOW PLAYING Series 2 will be released shortly.

NOW PLAYING Series 2 Descriptions:

The Creeper: Jeepers Creepers 2
A bus of high school students has been disabled and people are being picked off one by one. by something that is not human. A creature that appears only every 23 years and then only for 23 days... when it gets to feed. Now with a taste for blood, the Creeper will not be denied what it wants the most-to feed on its final day!

http://www.moviemaniacs.net/figures/sota/np/series2/creeper/teaser.jpg

Killer Klown: Killer Klowns From Outer Space
When a group of kids track a shooting star to where it lands, they encounter they strangest sight-a giant circus tent populated by clowns. But these are no ordinary clowns but aliens from another world! And they've come for us armed with evil shadow creatures, diabolical balloons and cocoons made of cotton candy! Now its kids of the town versus the Killer Klowns from Outer Space!

http://www.moviemaniacs.net/figures/sota/np/series2/klowns/teaser1.jpg

Imhotep the Mummy: The Mummy Returns
In 1933, Egyptian High Priest Imhotep has returned from the grave once more to be reunited with his love, Anck Su Namun. Now he plans on gaining control of the mythical man-beast known as the Scorpion King and with his undead army take the world for his own. But until he has gained certain body parts back, he must remain a desiccated mummy corpse.

http://www.moviemaniacs.net/figures/sota/np/series2/imhotep/teaser.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
11-12-2004, 03:01 AM
Final Products Photos of Darkman, Toxie, and the Nazi Demons have been revealed. Looking pretty good so far. And some news on the exclusives. Tower Records will have the partially bandaged Darkman as their exclusive. And due to a lack of finding a retailer, the Mohawk Nazi Demon will be available on Sota's Website. :)

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=mmnews2.setup&category=movies&topic=6&show_article=9
http://69.93.119.2/photosMM/showgallery.php?cat=510

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-12-2004, 08:57 AM
An American Werewolf in London...so many great toy designs come from that film. Too bad the film isn't too hot.

Very nice figures for this line. I'm stoked for their Nightmares Of Lovecraft line, though Darkman may find a place in my collection.

Beast
11-18-2004, 03:01 AM
Some further information from SOTA, by way of ToyFare.

They're going to be producing a 20" Lord of Darkess figure from Legend. No 7" version is planned at this time, since McFarlane just had one on the market a bit ago. Maybe in the future, they'll have to wait and see.

And here's the first look of the fullbody Imhotep figure from 'The Mummy Returns'. Looking very nice, especially the base with all the lil scarabs and the monkey mummy from the film also. Sweeeeeeeet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
11-18-2004, 03:36 AM
And here's the first look of the fullbody Imhotep figure from 'The Mummy Returns'.Wow... and that's a 7" figure? Looks like some really nice detail. I wasn't really into any of the films from this second series, but that's one nice looking item.

Anyone find the Tower Darkman yet BTW? That's one I'm looking for.

Beast
11-29-2004, 02:43 PM
And here we go, our first look of the Killer Clown. Direct from Tomarts. Looks pretty good, but I don't really have much intrest in the characters. I know it's a fan favorite of many B-Horror fans though. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Awesome! Here's hoping they make the rest of the Klowns as well! Wouldn't it be cool if they made the giant boss Klown from the end of the movie as part of their 24" line?

Beast
12-20-2004, 06:33 PM
Here's some more teases from Jerry of Sota Toys:

Hey Everyone

The first box set includes 2 figures and a diorama base. It hasnt been highly requested lately but it has in the past and I know its going to be exciting as its going to be a good surprise.

Series 3 regular figures..1 is finished, 2 is almost finished, 3 is just getting started. Its a very good line I think but we're not going to annnounce it until ToyFair when we have pics.

The AWIL box set was never really 'announced'. It was just obvious if we own the license we would eventually do a box set of the Wolf. You should see it sometime in 2006.I love the Lion-creature in Brotherhood. It would have to be a box set its so big. We're only doing 12 figures per year so I really need fan support so we can eventually get to all these great creatures.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Final scults and bases were unvieled over at MovieManiacs.net. :)

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=mmnews2.setup&category=movies&topic=6&show_article=10

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
01-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Well now aren't those just the spiffiest? I love the colors on the Klown - looks like they should stand out pretty well under blacklight just like the costumes in the movie!

Reefer Shark
01-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Very nice. Great sculpts, look to be some quality stuff. Hopefully they can get their feet off the ground with this line. Although, as of yet they don't really have many characters I'm into....

I will say though, that if that 20" Lord of Darkness is actually released - I'll be all over it like flies on feces! :cool:

Beast
01-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Small update from SOTA:

The only reason packaged pics havent been shown is cuz Im too lazy/busy to take pics of them.

The only variant for Now Playing 2 is a Klown repaint.. we cant do the short Klown as a repaint since it needs a new body..but at the end of the film theres a Klown holding a bat..thats the repaint version..

As for new movie licenses..Im mostly concentrating on older films for Now Playing but we did pass on the new DOOM film ( they wanted too much dough for a movie I am VERY unsure about). Theres one film coming out later this year we have a tentative deal for..but if they dont get me contracts soon we'll miss the release date and I'll end up not doing the figures. Other than that.. theres just nothing coming in 2005 that either A) interests me or B) I can afford if it does interest me. I guess that could change...

Little known fact.. we had a deal for Team America but the producer ( not Matt and Trey) was being such a DICK that we cancelled the line. We were doing actual size marionettes just like the film. They were very cool.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Sota finally got some pics up of Now Playing - Series I carded. I have to applaud them for doing something unique with the packaging. The space behind the figures could use something though. But other than that, I think it looks pretty cool. Series I should be showing up in stores sometime in Febuary. :)

http://www.sotatoys.com/images/products/np1packaged.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
01-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Wow, I love it! I'm not sure I can explain exactly what it is that makes these work, but I do love it. Maybe it's because they show off the figure so well; nothing is obscured in any way and the beauty of these figures really seems to shine. I don't even think the blank space behind the figures is a problem.

plasticfetish
01-26-2005, 02:20 AM
Yeah, I like them carded.

Wow, what a wait we've had for these things. Can't wait to get one of those Darkman figures. Too bad I'll end up tearing that nice packaging apart and tossing it in the trash. ;)

Beast
02-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Here's the first teasing pics of the '21" or so' Darkness from Legend figure. :)

http://www.sotatoys.com/images/products/np-darknessteaser.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Here's a couple peeks at what's in story for future assortments. Dog Soldiers and the original Dune movie. The Werewolf looks damn cool, and even Baron Harkonnen looks sweet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
02-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Ah, there we go! Finally a decent figure from Dune. Nice. I can't wait to see what that one looks like when it's all done and with its stand.

Beast
02-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Here's some better pictures of the Baron and the Werewolf from Dog Soldiers. :)

Baron Harkonnen (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=Sota%2FNow_playing%2FSeries_3&pic=12.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0)

Dog Soldiers Werewolf (http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=Sota%2FNow_playing%2FSeries_3&pic=11.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0)

And the first reviews for the Now Playing Series I figures:

http://board.spawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128261

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-12-2005, 06:13 PM
According to posts at another forum, the third figure in Now Playing Series 3 is Meg Mucklebones from Legend. And the Boxset will be McReady and The Thing from The Thing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
02-14-2005, 08:35 PM
This line is sounding better and better the more I hear. I'm itchin' to get me a figure of Sting as Feyd (preferrably the clothed version! ;) ) I haven't seen or even heard much about Dog Soldiers (was that even released theatrically?), but the figure looks decent; I would much rather have a Werewolf from American Werewolf in London first, though. Meg Mucklebones should be friggin' sweet! Hopefully they'll get around to doing more characters from Legend - I've been hoping someone would grab that license for a long time!

Beast
02-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Well, here's our first big teases from Toyfair. Detailed pictures of Darkness and the first pictures of MacReady vs. Dog-Thing, the Boxed Set from Now Playing 3. Very very sweet! You can see larger pictures of MacReady vs. Dog-Thing at the following linkie. :)

http://www.aftimes.com/ask.ran.shtml

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2005, 11:19 PM
Holy hell! They're making a boxset from Carpenter's The Thing! That's excellent.

Beast
02-20-2005, 12:30 PM
More detailed pictures of the MacReady vs Dog-Thing are up now at Action-Figure.Com. Same with Dog Soldiers Werewolf, Baron Harkonnen, and Meg Mucklebones. They all look fantastic. But I think they shouldn't have tried to make the full kennel area for the 'The Thing' boxset. It just doesn't look right. The rest look fantabulous though. :)

http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=14044

http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=14046

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-20-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm really loving that box set even more after seeing those pictures.

They have my money.

plasticfetish
02-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Wow. I'm probably only going to buy the Baron Harkonnen figure, but they all look amazing.

Beast
03-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Sota has their exclusives for sale on their site now. A glow in the dark Toxie that's limited to only 1,000 pieces. And the Mohawk Nazi Demon which is limited to 1,500 - 2,000 pieces. Tower Records should have the Exclusive Darkman up any day now as well. :)

http://sotatoys.com/prod_excl.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Small update. The glow in the dark Toxie due to a miscommunication is actually less glow and more orangish transparant. Also, Tower Records now has the Exclusive Darkman up for sale. Just hit their website. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Ji'dai
03-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I saw "Series 2" (don't recall ever seeing Series 1) at Suncoast today: Toxic Avenger, Darkman, and some demon or something; $12.99 each.

Sith Lord 0498
03-25-2005, 03:08 PM
I saw "Series 2" (don't recall ever seeing Series 1) at Suncoast today: Toxic Avenger, Darkman, and some demon or something; $12.99 each.

Toxie, Darkman, and the Nightmare Demon are Series 1 figures. The right side of the package that says Series 2 is just a list of the three movies in that batch.

Ji'dai
03-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Ah, that solves that mystery. I just took a quick glance at the packaging artwork; I was more awed by the huge clamshell if you can call it that. It's more like a mini-fishtank.

James Boba Fettfield
06-06-2005, 10:20 PM
You guys hear SOTA is doing toys for Land of the Dead?

Big Daddy, Blade (Tom Savini), and Cholo (John Leguizamo). Where's Binks, he's probably got a press release or some page long news about this?

Nevermind, I found something here. (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=173&show_article=94)

Hellboy
06-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Oh Joy!!

Zombie figures, finally. :)

plasticfetish
06-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Right on!
Big Daddy, Blade (Tom Savini), and Cholo (John Leguizamo).I looked the LOTD site over, and didn't see any stills of "Blade." Wonder what he'll look like.

James Boba Fettfield
06-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Blade from the movie (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/gallery/photodir2.php?image=459/2.jpg)

Not really a spoiler or anything (Blade's more of a cameo than anything and a treat for us old school Dawn fans, not crucial to the plot), but a warning just in case. Clicker beware.

plasticfetish
06-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Ahh... very very nice. Thanx! That'll be a nice one to have.

Now if they make that "4th" figure Dennis Hopper, I'll be a happy man.

Monstermile
06-07-2005, 03:49 AM
LOTD figures should be pretty cool. Now if someone would do a Bub from Day of the Dead.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I was going to start a thread about thsi, but I see i was beaten to it.

GOOD LORD YES!! YES!!! God willing, these will be popular and lead to figures from other Dead films and finally the dreams of JBFF and myself dealing with black & white NOTLD (68) figures could happen. yes yes yes!! :crazed: :crazed:

evenflow
06-07-2005, 07:36 PM
I picked up the Tower exclsuive Darkman, I am thinking about Toxie. I believe that the Mummy is part of this series so when series 2 comes out i will pick that up.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-15-2005, 01:28 AM
LOTD figure pics are up, minus Cholo. They look AWESOME.

Here is a link to Big Daddy and you can access more pics above him.

http://photos.figures.com/photo/1/showphoto.php?photo=25493&cat=2950

I can't WAIT to get these bad boys and to open Big Daddy. Woo woo!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
was at suncoast today and spotted the new wave of NOW PLAYING. the Creeper and Ihmotep look great, but the Killer Klown is AMAZING. I picked one up after a bit of thinking (low on $$) and i also got Pai Mei (kill bill). Luckily, it was buy two get one free so I got another KB figure. Anyways, this figure is really awesome. i can't wait to bust him out of his plastic prison. Get one, NOW! :crazed:

Beast
02-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Here's pictures of the upcoming 'Tremors' boxset with a Graboid and Burt Gummer. :)

http://www.horrorhound.com/news/tremors_boxset.aspx

Well so far so good... seems like 99% of you dig it.

I know several people were hoping for the basement scene...and I DID consider it but at the end of the day I felt the Graboid needed to be coming up out of the dirt. That to me is Tremors.

The graboid will have articulated mandibles.

As for size...I worked on the film ( I puppeteered some of the Graboids coming out of the sand) and Its pretty accurate. They're not as big as you might think. Sometimes for drama they filmed them in a way to make them appear larger but if you look at the scene where the one is dead you can see the accurate size.

Why Michael Gross and not Kevin Bacon ? Burt Gummer is my fav character from the films and hes also the only one I have likeness rights to...so it was an easy decision.

plasticfetish
07-20-2006, 04:32 AM
...and where are you anyway Beast?

New photos...
http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=1493

There's some good stuff in there, but seriously... Herbert from Re-Animator (http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=1206&cat=1493)!?! That's gold! :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-20-2006, 08:53 AM
That Leprechaun figure looks AWESOME. I love how they did an actual rope for the well bucket. Looks great!!

I am a bit sad there was no new shots of LOTD. I do hope we get some more info on release dates and stuff as its' been pushed back eighteen times (now August/Sept.) date.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-13-2007, 06:54 PM
man, been a while since we've been in here, eh?

Anyway, LOTD pics are up for the NY TF.
http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=2322

Some of the pictures make the figs look really good, others make them look decently good. Overall, i'm pleased. And they're finally due out MARCH. Thank God. :whip:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Got my LOTD figures a month or so ago; they look INCREDIBLE in person. The big Daddy figure is just gorgeous.

And online stores have FINALLY put up wave 4 that includes: Leprechaun, Killer Klown, Anubis and an American werewolf in london. I already got my Killer Klown and Leprechaun on pre-order. And the Tremors boxset was canceled. Still, should be a great wave! :thumbsup: