PDA

View Full Version : The Complaint Department And Boredom Relief Center

Tycho
07-09-2004, 03:24 AM
Post here when you are really bored or something really plsses you off.

Also post your laundry list of things you have to do but don't really want to.

I'll start:

I am really, really bored right now. I'd love a great debate on the forums or something interesting to analyze or think about.

I'd even like to post something incredibly controversial or crazy to even get negative attention right now - but this is my experimentaly new, mature way of handling this state of mind I sometimes get in.

I will take a moment to

SCREAM!!!!!

Ahhh. That feels much better.

So what could I be up to?

1) for a laundry list, it helps if you really have laundry to do. Actually it doesn't help that much - plus I'll have to go and get quarters because we have coin activated machines here. But the laundry room is locked at 11pm and it's midnite now, plus I also don't want to go to the 24 hour grocery store right now, even though it's just up the street.

2) but if I did, I could get some butter. I like to have butter on my toast, and I could make a nice snack of some cinnamon toast right now if only I had bought some butter! (ah - but I have Strawberry Cherrios and milk which might substitute and allow me to remain lazy for the rest of the evening.

3) I didn't work out tonight, so I have extra energy which means I'm not that sleepy. But if only I'd go to bed early, I could wake up early and chase down SW figures in the morning - before they all sell out 5 minutes after the store opens. Not that I'm really looking for anything, but I'll pick up Smokescreen the Alternator when I happen to go into the next toy isle. Transformers are really "doing it for me" lately.

4) I need to crunch some numbers for some clients for work, but I really don't feel like sitting still and starting a "project" right now.

5) I have to shave. I hate shaving. A lot of people here started a thread about that a while ago. The worst part of it is that it's quicker and easier to shave if you do it every day - only it gets even more boring. Complaining about it here helps though. Let me try:

I HATE SHAVING!!!

That's better. I think I'll even post again when my stubble's gone.

6) Meanwhile, my SW collection and other objects contributing to my "mess room" need some tidying. I've actually made great progress on it. That leaves me with 2 choices:

a) continue
b) come back to it in a few days and do some more, but be extremely zealous that I don't allow anything new to clutter up in the meantime.

7) My music and getting CD's in their right jewel boxes and eliminating duplicates I've burned from my clutter is going to be an annoying project in some ways. I like sitting there and listening to the music when I could be doing so many other things. But cleaning up my music files on my computer, burning hard copies and then wiping out my computer's whole lot of 'em and just collecting new music or stuff I put back from burned playlists I use will take some time.

Blah, Blah, Blah. Probably nobody cares about what I'm thinking about, but it helps to have a place to post it anyway. In fact it feels even better than trying to entertain myself with threads about wearing a large, chicken suit and some of the other nonsense I occasionally like to post.

Go ahead and use this thread as your Complaint Department and Boredom Relief Center.

Maybe people will comment on each other's lives here or feel like we have companionship on the journey from boredom to full retardation. :rolleyes:

Thanks for joining me on my trip.

Your turn.

p.s. - I'll be back to tell people when I've shaved, eaten breakfast cereal, or bought butter for my cinnamon toast. By posting this, I'll hope to not keep you in suspsense for too long.

Beast
07-09-2004, 03:28 AM
Post here when you are really bored or something really plsses you off.
Sure...

The fact that ever since the 'Rancor Pit' opened, there's been hardly any discussion in any other threads. Once again showing what an awful idea it was to open it, and it will amount to no good in the end. There are tons of other boards dedicated to religious and political debate. Seems a shame that t's all anymone wants to talk about here anymore. Sooner or later a massive fight will start in there, and the forums will go to hell in a handbasket. Shame really, the community was pretty peaceful and friendly before the old wounds of politics, religion, and the like were re-opened. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
07-09-2004, 04:25 AM
OK - I ate my cereal and I'm watching Larry King Live and his talk with soon-to-be-President Kerry.

It's a commercial and I came back to comment on JarJar's complaints.

I love the Rancor Pit. I'm into politics as I've always been interested in public service, and I have some degree of ability to conduct myself in it, having gotten started with winning several of my first elected positions. There are extremely interesting things happening in this country, and this world, and it's great to talk with friends about it. We're "friends" here in the sense we all do come together here to talk about Star Wars and other movies and hobbies that bond us. Discussing political or religious stuff in other forums is more hateful or problematic for several reasons: certain sites are either conservatively or liberally slanted, and faith-based sites are biased towards their own faiths. A Christian on a Jewish website trying to convince them that the Messiah had come wouldn't be too welcome. Jewish and Christian SW fans who are friends because they both agree Clone Troopers are awesome, can be much more civil and respectful to each other, because they are both on a fan site where Clone Trooper loyalists belong. The same thing goes for Republicans and Democrats here.

That being said, there has been limited things to discuss about Star Wars right now. But I have tried.

I've posted in threads (outside of the Rancor Pit) concerning:

Scene-by-Scene Favorite Figures Not Yet Made - a thread in the Saga forum where we assembled the complete list of every character with screen time in any of the 5 movies that doesn't have a Hasbro figure - and voted to prioritize who we wanted, and for how long we think this hobby will last before everything we get is a resculpt. Only about 15-20 regulars showed up and posted in this thread. Maybe it should have been in the OTC section, but since it began with Prequel figures and encompased 5 movies, I thought the location was appropriate at the time I started the thread.

Transformers - I've recently become an Alternator collector. If you EVER collected Transformers as a kid - you do not know what you are missing and you have to get these. There are only 4 (2 are brand new and still not out everywhere yet) and the 20th Anniversary 12" Optimus Prime is to scale with them and these things transform into exact replicas of real vehicles complete with adjustable sideview mirrors, steering wheels, opening hoods with engine details, turning axels, you name it! We've discussed a Transformers wish list for the Alternator line, including Decepticons, etc.

Custom Imperial Star Destroyer for the action figures - some great pictures and discussion about having capital ships for the action figures with working play features, why Hasbro hasn't done this, what people would pay for them, etc. is up in the OTC section. The pics are worth a thousand words.

Episode 3 Spoilers - none listed here, but if you can't wait for the movie, we've done some very cool speculating and spoiler info gathering on topics as interesting as Palpatine's secrets.

Army building issues - I forget which section this thread was in, but those of us with large armies have discussed collecting them and I actually admitted how many Super-Articulated Clones I have (some may not want to know - it makes people sick).

Spider-Man 2 - the movie of the summer, no doubt - there is extensive discussion about a movie everyone loved! Spider-Man 3 is being explored in this thread.

Star Trek Enterprise - Season 4 spoilers are leaking out, and William Shatner (Captain Kirk) may make a controversial appearance with some time travel storyline involved in the plot, no doubt. (Kirk's era is 100 years after the time frame that Captain Archer's adventures are set it).

These are just a few of the threads I participate in - and look forward to more than shaving, because obviously I'm here and haven't done that yet...

But honestly, Star Wars is slowing down unless you're in the E3 spoiler stuff.

There are 211 figures total, possible, that are not resculpts. Hasbro has shown no prototypes or confirmation of any of them, though Veers, Yarua, Sly Moore, Pablo Jill and a few others are still moderate rumors as of now.

There are virtually no new ships and vehicles they are doing, as it is an OTC theme that the Sith Infiltrator, Gungan Sub, and AT-TE don't fit into - and only the AT-TE has a chance of appearing as an E3 vehicle. The Sandcrawler has been discussed to death until it actually comes out.

So like I said, most E3 stuff is spoiler and not everyone goes there.

I do feel like finding the Star Wars theme park thread perhaps - listing rides I'd like to see, that sort of thing.

Oh - and the TV show is a mum topic right now until we know more to complain or anxiously await it's debut.

Comics have been great though if you're into the Clone Wars and interested in threads regarding improvements to the SW books.

That to me says there may be lots to talk about.

What's your response to all of that?

Beast
07-09-2004, 04:37 AM
I don't have a real response to all that. There's plenty to talk about outside the walking on eggshells area of the rancor pit. And after some of the posts I browsed in there when it first went up, my decision to avoid it was justified. It's bad enough to see things being argued about about Star Wars or anything else not included in the P&R arena. But it's quite another to see some of the harsh comments that even you yourself have made about a number of things in their Tycho...

And by the way.....

Tycho has opinions on everything.

Tycho is always right.

Tycho is an authority. You should listen to him.
Your signature approaches levels of arrogence and egotism that hasn't been seen on these forums since DeadEye was last banned. I'm half expecting to see you add 'Expect on Guns, Games, and Girls' there any day now. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
07-09-2004, 04:44 AM
Complaint Dept:

Right at this moment, I f'ing hate women. I truly don't understand them. ..... but ya know, that's not true...I think I do, but I hate what I see. Sometime's life f'ing sucks. I'd be better off living in a state of blind ignorance as so many other people have consciously or unconsciously found solace in. It really sucks being so "aware" all the time. I want to live in a state of ignorance too.

Grrr! I'm going to sleep in hopes that I'll feel better in the morning... :frus:

stillakid
07-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Oh, and Jar Jar, quit your f'ing whining. The Prequels suck. You and about 5 other guys think otherwise. Get over it. If you want to talk about how great everything is, the "New Topic" button is there for you to click. Otherwise, nobody is forcing you to even glance at any other threads. In fact, nobody even forces any of us to log into SSG ever. I really don't get the whining about the topics being discussed. Don't like it, don't read it. Or is that "pseudo-logic"? :frus:

Beast
07-09-2004, 04:53 AM
Oh, and Jar Jar, quit your f'ing whining. The Prequels suck. You and about 5 other guys think otherwise. Get over it. If you want to talk about how great everything is, the "New Topic" button is there for you to click. Otherwise, nobody is forcing you to even glance at any other threads. In fact, nobody even forces any of us to log into SSG ever. I really don't get the whining about the topics being discussed. Don't like it, don't read it. Or is that "pseudo-logic"? :frus:
Hello? I was responding to Tycho, not you. He asked, I offered. And I assure you, there's more then me and 5 other people that think otherwise. Get over yourself. Why would I talk about how great everything is, in a thread asking if we have any complaints. You really don't make a lot of sense there, Stillakid. But then that's typical of most of your arguments. Have you been writing your great Hollywood script that shall rival such great films as Battlefield Earth in windowless rooms with markers again? ;) :D

Take some of your own advice for once, fignuts. Instead of acting like everyone is beneath you. Don't like it, don't read it. Or is that "pseudo-logic"? :frus: :kiss:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
07-09-2004, 04:58 AM
JarJar, I love my signature. I designed it because I am perfect, know everything, and never make mistakes. ;)

I was actually almost going to take it down today because I thought it detracted from some of my more serious posts, or SW ones that had long lists with them (figures, etc), but mostly because it was getting old. Seeing as how it is provocative, I think I'll keep it a week or more longer because it is still contributing to a little fun for me.

See: I knew I couldn't possibly make a mistake. I am almost perfect, save for the fact that sometimes I forget it. :D

I know: tone is hard to read on the internet, but you all should sort of have a handle on me by now - and when I'm serious and when I'm not.

But meanwhile, what I'd hoped you'd respond to is where you've been and what posts you've been involved in, and which ones of the non-Rancor Pit posts (like Spider-Man 2, etc) that I've enjoyed, have you participated in, read, liked, or why you didn't - for example the Scene-by-Scene figures not yet made thread would seem to be right up in your area of interest, but I never saw you as a regular there.

Tycho
07-09-2004, 05:03 AM
Hello? I was responding to Tycho, not you. He asked, I offered. And I assure you, there's more then me and 5 other people that think otherwise. Get over yourself. Why would I talk about how great everything is, in a thread asking if we have any complaints. You really don't make a lot of sense there, Stillakid. Have you been writing your great Hollywood script that shall rival such great films as Battlefield Earth in windowless rooms with markers again? ;) :D

Take some of your own advice for once, fignuts. Don't like it, don't read it. Or is that "pseudo-logic"? :frus: :kiss:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

ROTFLMAO! Oh you made me laugh JarJar!

Stillakid, he got you there. Besides, I love the Prequels and like I told JarJar - I'm so perfect, intelligent, and such a paragon of sophistocated taste, that my love for TPM and AOTC counts as much as that of 10 more people! So that would make 15 of us counting the friends of JarJar :D

Meanwhile, Mr. Binks, if we didn't have differences of opinion, there'd be nothing to discuss.

"Spider-Man 2 was cool"

"Yeah. It rocked."

"Duh."

"I thought so."

Instead, here I am - NO LONGER BORED AT THE MOMENT !!! - and I've had a great laugh. All I need is to get the 2 of you dudes in a room with several baskets of fruit and this could be great all night!

By the way, Stillakid: are you separated, divorced, or Scott Peterson? What's up with all the new "women threads?" This is the complaint department. We might find "Family Services - Las Vegas Style" for you here.

stillakid
07-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Hello? I was responding to Tycho, not you. He asked, I offered. And I assure you, there's more then me and 5 other people that think otherwise. Get over yourself. Why would I talk about how great everything is, in a thread asking if we have any complaints. You really don't make a lot of sense there, Stillakid. But then that's typical of most of your arguments. Have you been writing your great Hollywood script that shall rival such great films as Battlefield Earth in windowless rooms with markers again? ;) :D

Take some of your own advice for once, fignuts. Instead of acting like everyone is beneath you. Don't like it, don't read it. Or is that "pseudo-logic"? :frus: :kiss:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Oh, I'm over myself. Don't worry about that. I make tons of sense. The only reason it doesn't seem that way to you is because you don't want to believe it. Remember your expertise about Super 35mm? Or will you manage to forget it and not bring it up as you have every other time I've mentioned it? Seriously, your complaint a couple posts ago was regarding the mere existence of posts like Tycho's. My reading of your bs complaint was more than relevant and appropriate...fignuts.

For the record, I'll never begrudge someone for liking or disliking anything if that's what they choose to do. But if the reasoning for it is moronic or illogical, then I'll call them to the mat on it as I did with you and others time and time again. In that case, then yeah, call me arrogant, but the lack of common sense is beneath me. All men are not created equally, no matter what the documents say.

stillakid
07-09-2004, 05:08 AM
By the way, Stillakid: are you separated, divorced, or Scott Peterson? What's up with all the new "women threads?" This is the complaint department. We might find "Family Services - Las Vegas Style" for you here.

Up in the air.

Beast
07-09-2004, 05:09 AM
ROTFLMAO! Oh you made me laugh JarJar!

Stillakid, he got you there. Besides, I love the Prequels and like I told JarJar - I'm so perfect, intelligent, and such a paragon of sophistocated taste, that my love for TPM and AOTC counts as much as that of 10 more people! So that would make 15 of us counting the friends of JarJar :D

Meanwhile, Mr. Binks, if we didn't have differences of opinion, there'd be nothing to discuss.

"Spider-Man 2 was cool"

"Yeah. It rocked."

"Duh."

"I thought so."

Instead, here I am - NO LONGER BORED AT THE MOMENT !!! - and I've had a great laugh. All I need is to get the 2 of you dudes in a room with several baskets of fruit and this could be great all night!
I love differences of opinion. It's when opinion is paraded around as fact that it starts pushing my buttons. You know, how Stillakid usually presents his 'Prequels Suck' argument as facts, instead of his opinion. I love intelligent discussion, unfortunatly there's little to be found with someone who's not willing to even fathom that their 'fact' is only their 'opinion'. :)

And if you ever got Stillakid and I in the same room, fruit is fine. But I'd suggest removal of all sharp objects. Just for safeties sake. After all, I may not value Mr. Kid's version of the facts, but I do value his life and his lifestyle choice. More power to him, if he's comfortable with the person he is. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
07-09-2004, 05:13 AM
I did take down my signature. It was getting in the way of keeping what I post more visable than my moniker.

I have to thank you two. I've had a great laugh.

I think we relieve each others' boredom quite well, I might add.

This thread is working exactly as it's supposed to. What a riot!

[very seriously] Stillakid, I hope whatever you want for the future, and whatever's the best for your own children, works out for you. Family split-ups are quite painful. No wonder you sound very bitter when you attack those who think perfect Christian family life is always achieveable.

I think you come down very hard on BigBarada when you do that - as if you'd like to drive him off the site and just can't leave him to his beliefs. Sometimes it just comes off that way - that's all. And Barada's a cool guy who's had some hard knocks in life he's shared with us all, and I'd like it if he continued enjoying coming here (and you too for that matter).

[I've met Stillakid in person for those joining us late. He's a very cool guy I have great discussions with - though I vehemently disagree with him about the prequels]

Beast
07-09-2004, 05:17 AM
Oh, I'm over myself. Don't worry about that. I make tons of sense. The only reason it doesn't seem that way to you is because you don't want to believe it. Remember your expertise about Super 35mm? Or will you manage to forget it and not bring it up as you have every other time I've mentioned it? Seriously, your complaint a couple posts ago was regarding the mere existence of posts like Tycho's. My reading of your bs complaint was more than relevant and appropriate...fignuts.

For the record, I'll never begrudge someone for liking or disliking anything if that's what they choose to do. But if the reasoning for it is moronic or illogical, then I'll call them to the mat on it as I did with you and others time and time again. In that case, then yeah, call me arrogant, but the lack of common sense is beneath me. All men are not created equally, no matter what the documents say.
My, so defensive. You really should have a good talk with your inner child. It would likely do you a world of good. You make sense only to yourself, and the little group of sheep that follow you from post to post and cry whenever your opinion is shaken. As for the 35mm error? So what, you yourself make blunders all the time. I don't constantly sit here and have them ready to try to stroke my own precious ego with like you do. Good lord man, some people would say you've developed an unhealthy fixation on me. Never good to have, I assure you. And I never complained about this thread, and I don't mind most of Tycho's post. But I'm not the only one who feels that he goes too far sometimes. And I'm not just talking visitors to the site here. He's no Thrawn, but few people are that bad. :)

And clearly you do begrudge what others enjoy. You make as much trouble as you can to try to show Prequel fans that they are stupid, or sheep, or Lucas lovers. Sorry Stillakid, you're name is as unfitting as your attitude. There is nothing moronic or illogical in the fact that I enjoy the prequel films more then the OT. If I was a Lucas lover, wouldn't I love ANH so very much. When it's actually on the bottom of my favorite SW film list. You make no sense Stilla, I suggest opening a window when you're writing that script. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
07-09-2004, 05:23 AM
OK JarJar, I'm a big boy. Lay it out:

Which subjects or general postings (you don't have to quote or link) that I wrote, are questionable or "on the light side of Thrawn?"

(of course I'll argue with you, but I'm open-minded enough that I might learn something from you, also).

Beast
07-09-2004, 05:29 AM
OK JarJar, I'm a big boy. Lay it out:

Which subjects or general postings (you don't have to quote or link) that I wrote, are questionable or "on the light side of Thrawn?"

(of course I'll argue with you, but I'm open-minded enough that I might learn something from you, also).
Mostly it's your obsession with sex. How many times have your threads been closed or edited due to you going just a tad far with discussion that involve sexual nature on the forums. I'm not the only one that has noticed and commented on it, but you are a good friend of mine and I haven't called you on it in the past. That and use of crude terms like "towel-heads", which got people banned even before there was a ban on Political and Religious discussions. In fact, that's why they banned DeadEye the first or second time. There are other times you go a tad far, and sound more like your preaching down at people, then just stating your opinion. I won't lay it all out here in public and make it sound like I'm burning you an effigy, as I think you're still a good guy. I just think the circuit breaker between tact and crude sometimes sparks on ya, that's all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
07-09-2004, 05:39 AM
So what, you yourself make blunders all the time.
Such as? And I expect links and full explanations as to why you would assign them as "blunders." I'll be looking for that compilation within the week. Thanks! :)

Good lord man, some people would say you've developed an unhealthy fixation on me.
Don't flatter yourself. But now that you mention it, which people exactly? I'd like names and contact information when applicable. Thanks! :)

But I'm not the only one who feels that he goes too far sometimes. And I'm not just talking visitors to the site here. He's no Thrawn, but few people are that bad. :)
What is "too far" exactly? It's human nature that you can't please everyone 100% of the time so is SSG supposed to be playing by JJB's rulebook for some reason? And since you mentioned it, which people exactly feel "that he goes too far sometimes"? Names and contact information again please. Thanks! :)

And clearly you do begrudge what others enjoy. You make as much trouble as you can to try to show Prequel fans that they are stupid, or sheep, or Lucas lovers. Sorry Stillakid, you're name is as unfitting as your attitude. There is nothing moronic or illogical in the fact that I enjoy the prequel films more then the OT. If I was a Lucas lover, wouldn't I love ANH so very much. When it's actually on the bottom of my favorite SW film list. You make no sense Stilla, I suggest opening a window when you're writing that script. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
For once, you may be right. My pseudonym may not be applicable anymore. It was when I penned it a few years ago. Hmm. Some call me cynical. I call it pragmatic and realistic. I truly don't begrudge what others choose to enjoy, but I do question it when what they choose to enjoy is so clearly flawed. I know it's hard for you, but try to follow me on this: it's one thing to admit the flaws and say that you enjoy it anyway, and it's an entirely different thing to suggest that a thing is perfect in every way and proclaim jubilation at it's existence. While it's undeniable that a few people somehow find honest enjoyment in the Prequels from minute one to the end, it is also true that the vast majority of the audience was sincerely disappointed by what they were offered. To believe otherwise is nothing short of denial. Even the most stalwart of defenders early on have since come to admit that the Prequels are fraught with trouble. I can only join the cacophony and try to figure out what went wrong while simultaneously trying to figure out just what people like you see in them. It is an enigma, to be sure. For if I can unlock the key as to what makes a failure such as the Prequels a success in your mind, then I can carry on with my work in Hollywood with the certainty that just about anything I create will be a landmark success with even the least critical of fans. So please, keep letting us know what you enjoy most about Star Wars. You're providing a valuable service so that we can continue to provide entertainment that suits every level of expectation. :)

Beast
07-09-2004, 05:51 AM
Such as? And I expect links and full explanations as to why you would assign them as "blunders." I'll be looking for that compilation within the week. Thanks! :)
Like I said, I don't bookmark them so I can stroke my own ego on everything that you've ever posted that has been wrong. That's your little hobby, and I'll thank you to keep it to yourself.

Don't flatter yourself. But now that you mention it, which people exactly? I'd like names and contact information when applicable. Thanks! :)
And that is none of your business. Private discussions that take place off the site or through the PM box are none of your business. But just live with the fact that it does happen in both your cases.

What is "too far" exactly? It's human nature that you can't please everyone 100% of the time so is SSG supposed to be playing by JJB's rulebook for some reason? And since you mentioned it, which people exactly feel "that he goes too far sometimes"? Names and contact information again please. Thanks! :)
Re-read the post. "Too Far" is explained right in it, and in the post after it. If you need more help adding 1+1, then I suggest a calculator. Again, who I discuss Tycho with is none of your business or concern.

For once, you may be right. My pseudonym may not be applicable anymore. It was when I penned it a few years ago. Hmm. Some call me cynical. I call it pragmatic and realistic. I truly don't begrudge what others choose to enjoy, but I do question it when what they choose to enjoy is so clearly flawed. I know it's hard for you, but try to follow me on this: it's one thing to admit the flaws and say that you enjoy it anyway, and it's an entirely different thing to suggest that a thing is perfect in every way and proclaim jubilation at it's existence. While it's undeniable that a few people somehow find honest enjoyment in the Prequels from minute one to the end, it is also true that the vast majority of the audience was sincerely disappointed by what they were offered. To believe otherwise is nothing short of denial. Even the most stalwart of defenders early on have since come to admit that the Prequels are fraught with trouble. I can only join the cacophony and try to figure out what went wrong while simultaneously trying to figure out just what people like you see in them. It is an enigma, to be sure. For if I can unlock the key as to what makes a failure such as the Prequels a success in your mind, then I can carry on with my work in Hollywood with the certainty that just about anything I create will be a landmark success with even the least critical of fans. So please, keep letting us know what you enjoy most about Star Wars. You're providing a valuable service so that we can continue to provide entertainment that suits every level of expectation. :)
No, I just call it being a major know-it-all arsehole half the time. It's not cynical, pragmatic, or realistic. It's being the school bully in a group of fans, picking fights and trying to make yourself out to be the big man. Again, it's not clearly flawed. It's only flawed in your opinion. And your opinion only counts for one person, you. I admit there are flaws, I admit there are things I don't like. But the good far outweighs the bad. And I don't enjoy nitpicking a film apart like some sick sadist. And sorry, again it's not undeniable that only a few people find honest enjoyment of the Prequels. It is hower false that the majority was disapointed. It seems only the purist Star Wars fans have any real trouble with the film. Since I discuss them on other movie sites all the time, and the majority that enjoys the films is quite a lot larger then you make it sound, bucko. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
07-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Hmmm. I'd agree with you there JarJar.

Funny thing is that I've really haven't had any posts to do with sex for a very long time. I did have questions about the Apostle Paul being a eunuch and issues with eunuches in general, but Paul may not have been one, and that's not exactly a sexual issue in the same sense that my fascinations with Kristin Kruek, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Katie Holmes, Natalie Portman, Christina Aguillera, Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, etc. were.

The issues with gays we are discussing in the Rancor Pit deals with sexuality, preferences, rights, political agendas, etc. but we aren't discussing sex acts actually.

Meanwhile, using the term "Towel-heads" might be something the moderators tell me not to do. I freely admit I am using the term because:

1) I'm angry at these so-called Muslem traditionalists that use their beliefs to justify terrorism on my country.

2) that people in my country who are not terrorists who *might* read this and take offense to it because they wear a turban, are purposely deciding to distinguish themselves by their dress, as not wanting to assimilate into my culture which fosters the democracy they emmigrated here to enjoy. Sure they have their freedom to wear whatever they like here, but their choice demonstrates they want to remain apart from us. On top of that, it's the attitude that their culture is superior to ours that fosters the climate that allows terrorists to thrive in the first place.

In any case, I rant here on the forums and I don't call Arabs or Muslems "Towel-heads" in public, nor do I actually think of everyone of Muslem or Arabic affiliation to be some kind of stereotype. I will sound cliche here "about some of my real friends in real life who are Muslem or Arabic," but it's true. They don't wear turbans, but I would still be friendly with them and not think anything of it if they did - other than I'd tell them my opinion about assimilation over here - but precisely because I was friendly with them and they'd know that I didn't just totally devalue them becuase of the way they dress (while a stranger I don't associate with at all would think how he dressed is none of my business).

As to DeadEye, I somehow missed the majority of his posts. I barely spoke with him that I recall, however, I do have the memory of him wanting to post stuff just to be silly, break rules, or provoke a negative reaction. I can't say I never behave with those motives, but I think he took it more than 50% further than I ever did.

When the moderator-Gestapo was running things over-moderating and editing every post without relent, I admit I liked provoking it. I was a moderator as well for a few years, but I recall only twice in years did I ever really have to edit somebody for what they posted. I was live-and-let-live and when people who really act up, do it all the time, they end up only getting themselves ignored and they go to some other boards.

Captain Panaka was one such guy I remember from the days.

Hepostedlikethismakingithardforyoutoreadwhathewast yping or he had run-on sentences with no periods though sometimes I post that way because I'm trying to get ideas out and we thought that either he was a child or he was retarded but we learned that he just liked getting attention and liked to act different but you sacrafice your chance to be listened to and heard if you post like this because people get tired quickly of reading it.

GNT (Gasgano Never Talked) was a cool member of the boards who left because of over-moderation I think. I can't recall. He's at GH's forums now. It's a good site, I just can't build relationships everywhere and have time to spend time talking to so many people at so many sites when they are all SW to begin with. I picked SSG and stuck with it.

In any case, I think I got tired of some of the immature doings I liked to post. The Mouse Droid thing was highly clever and creative in my opinion though - and that might come back. Just need a new product that's great to sniff. But that thread sprung out of when I was in the dorms in college and so many people thought it was cool to use drugs. It just struck me as funny that I do sniff the new SW figures when they're fresh out of the packaging, sort of like how your curiousity might get you to smell a new magazine. Well, the Mouse Droid just happened to have the most pungent odor when I thought about it, and it seemed a much more comical "figure" or prop piece to be writing about than Malakali. Now I do like making people laugh and sort of revel in being known for something stereotypical or extreme - I will probably have a "Got Mouse?" shirt made to wear to meet you all at Celebration 3 - thought of trying to buy a ton of the droids from Hasbro and handing them out in little plastic baggies, too. It just would be so darn silly, you'd have to still laugh even now when you know it might be coming. At Comic Con last year, I brought Hasbro an image of Darth Mouse I blew up to an 8"x10" and told them that we had a petition to get that figure made. After all the serious figure campaigns (Wuher, the Skiff, Jabba's Denizens Poll, etc) they never saw that one coming. I kept a straight face for as long as I could and got some friends to help by insisting Darth Mouse was an EU character who disabled his challengers using an aroma. Eventually we all lost it as Andy, Jeff, and Brian from Hasbro realized we all weren't serious.

In any case, I like myself and have fun being me. In a thread designed to relieve boredom, it's a very positive place to explain myself. "If I am not entertained, I will figure out a way..." That nicely sums me up ;)

stillakid
07-09-2004, 06:17 AM
Like I said, I don't bookmark them so I can stroke my own ego on everything that you've ever posted that has been wrong. That's your little hobby, and I'll thank you to keep it to yourself.
Yeah, that's what I thought. :rolleyes: Conjecture with nothing to back it up. Standard JJB.

And that is none of your business. Private discussions that take place off the site or through the PM box are none of your business. But just live with the fact that it does happen in both your cases.
Ditto. Like I said, you can't please everyone. You can take comfort in the fact that you've got as many "fans" as I do. ;)

Re-read the post. "Too Far" is explained right in it, and in the post after it. If you need more help adding 1+1, then I suggest a calender. Again, who I discuss Tycho with is none of your business or concern..
Well, I personally would use a calculator when doing addition, not a calendar. But to each his own. "Too far" to you is not necessarily too far to others.

No, I just call it being a major know-it-all arsehole half the time ..
It wouldn't just be because you don't agree with my conclusions, would it? And what about the other half of the time? Am I right 50% of the time? From where I sit, I think I'm pretty consistent with my viewpoints so I would think that you'd either see me as 100% right or 100% wrong. If not, what have I been "right" about? What am I "wrong" about?

It's not cynical, pragmatic, or realistic. It's being the school bully in a group of fans, picking fights and trying to make yourself out to be the big man...
Wow, that's a big accusation. School bully? Really? Just because you don't agree with my (and other people's) conclusions? That makes me a bully? Hmm. And for the record, I'm not the one who started a thread congratulating myself for having a billion posts or whatever it was. So who here is putting himself out there as the "big man"? :rolleyes:

Again, it's not clearly flawed. It's only flawed in your opinion. And your opinion only counts for one person, you. I admit there are flaws, I admit there are things I don't like. But the good far outweighs the bad. ...
When did you ever admit that? :confused:

And I don't enjoy nitpicking a film apart like some sick sadist. ...
You call it "nitpicking" because it interrupts your enjoyment of what you see. I call it honest literary critique on the level that anyone aside from Lucas would be subject to. He only got away with putting that stuff out there because he had the cash to circumvent the system. Oblivious fans may not give a rats arse about trying to get the absolute best quality product out there, but industry professionals do. And to see a guy like Lucas squander such an opportunity results in a veritable endless string of :rolleyes: from people around these parts who know better.

And sorry, again it's not undeniable that only a few people find honest enjoyment of the Prequels. ...
Yes, it is.

It is hower false that the majority was disapointed....
No, it isn't.

It seems only the purist Star Wars fans have any real trouble with the film.
I don't know what a "purist" Star Wars fan is exactly. Had I been presented with such a term under different circumstances, your name would have been the first to pop into my mind. But I gather that you somehow are trying to apply a derogatory label onto people who enjoy the original trilogy films moreso than the prequel films. If that's the case, then sure, I would have no trouble agreeing that those who enjoy well told and executed stories enjoy the original trilogy moreso than the poorly told and executed prequel stories. No argument there.

Since I discuss them on other movie sites all the time, and the majority that enjoys the films is quite a lot larger then you make it sound, bucko. :)

Bucko? When did Richie Cunningham log on? But really, your independent survey group of movie thread geeks is some kind of indication of what the general population thinks? Puhleease. Just a suggestion...step away from the screen at least a few times a week and interact with some real people...the ones who don't have time or the inclination to waste effort (like us ;) ) to log on and "chat" with a bunch of anonymous nincompoops (like us ;) ) about moronic stuff that doesn't matter one hoot. While weekends like last (when Dodgeball took the boxoffice... :sur: ) don't do much to support my own hopes, I do think that the majority of audience members (not just the forum dwelling geeks) look for higher quality than what the Prequels offered them. Did those movies have entertaining qualities? Sure. There were moments. Pieces. Elements. But as a cohesive whole? No way. Not even close. Call it an opinion. I call it an informed literary critique. Whatever. George still made his money back and that's apparently all that matters anymore. We can turn out sh*t and expect a payday. Thank god for that! :greedy:

Beast
07-09-2004, 06:22 AM
Meanwhile, using the term "Towel-heads" might be something the moderators tell me not to do. I freely admit I am using the term because:

1) I'm angry at these so-called Muslem traditionalists that use their beliefs to justify terrorism on my country.

2) that people in my country who are not terrorists who *might* read this and take offense to it because they wear a turban, are purposely deciding to distinguish themselves by their dress, as not wanting to assimilate into my culture which fosters the democracy they emmigrated here to enjoy. Sure they have their freedom to wear whatever they like here, but their choice demonstrates they want to remain apart from us. On top of that, it's the attitude that their culture is superior to ours that fosters the climate that allows terrorists to thrive in the first place.

In any case, I rant here on the forums and I don't call Arabs or Muslems "Towel-heads" in public, nor do I actually think of everyone of Muslem or Arabic affiliation to be some kind of stereotype. I will sound cliche here "about some of my real friends in real life who are Muslem or Arabic," but it's true. They don't wear turbans, but I would still be friendly with them and not think anything of it if they did - other than I'd tell them my opinion about assimilation over here - but precisely because I was friendly with them and they'd know that I didn't just totally devalue them becuase of the way they dress (while a stranger I don't associate with at all would think how he dressed is none of my business).
Why should you class an entire group of people under a racial slur, just because a small group of them attacked our country. That's really out of line, and comes off as racist as hell. I'm not saying you are racist, but that's the way it sounds. Why shouldn't those people distiinguish themselves however they please? I don't recall America being built on a 'My Way or the Highway' mentality. Isn't that one of the things our ancestors tried to escape when they came to America in the first place. Religious and personal freedoms. The Native Americans who were here first certainly didn't force anyone to adapt to their lifestyles. Isn't stating that they can't enjoy their freedoms and their culture fostering the climate that we believe ours is superior. Which doesn't help relations with other groups. America isn't about assimilation, it's not the Borg Collective. It's a melting pot, where all flavors get some representation.

GNT (Gasgano Never Talked) was a cool member of the boards who left because of over-moderation I think. I can't recall. He's at GH's forums now. It's a good site, I just can't build relationships everywhere and have time to spend time talking to so many people at so many sites when they are all SW to begin with. I picked SSG and stuck with it.
GNT left because he got accused of post-padding, and his post totals were reset to zero. This ****ed him off, and he scrammed off to Rebelscum and maid a major stink about how he was being mistreated and singled out here. If he really didn't care about post counts, then I find it unlikely that he would have made such a big deal about it. Not to mention he has like 25,000+ posts on Scum now. Even I don't post that much. :eek: :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-09-2004, 06:31 AM
Stillakid, I'm done even trying to talk or discuss these with you. There's no sense in doing so, because you always respond instead of with an opinion, with an 'It's not my opinion, it's a fact' attack. You can't say something is a fact, when it's only opinion. Of course, you live in California. So It's no suprise you have no concept of reality. So I'm going to be the adult and big man here, and just drop it. It's not worth trying to disucss anything seriously with someone who refuses to even try to meet someone half way. One last comment, it was requested that I start both the 5,000 and 10,000 threads. To contain both 'Congrats' deals into a single thread. Since I was getting a storm of PM's and Congrats posts popping up all over the forums. I wanted to ensure forum discussions remained on topic. Pardon me all over the place. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
07-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Stillakid, I don't want to debate you, but so I can help you "make a perfect movie that morons everywhere will love" I'll tell you why

I think the prequels were not only greatly entertaining, but perefect movies in my opinion - because I'm not one to think they were flawed:

1) I wanted to know how Palpatine became Emperor
2) I wanted to know why Obi-Wan failed to keep Anakin off the Dark Side
3) I wanted to know how Luke ended up with Owen and Beru
4) I wanted to know who Luke's mother was.
5) I wanted to know where stormtroopers came from.
6) I wanted to know how Leia came to be in the House Organa.
7) I wanted to know what Obi-Wan Kenobi's history was.
8) I wanted to know what turns Anakin to the Dark Side.
9) I wanted to know what the Jedi were all about, and how they chose and trained
10) I wanted to know what the Clone Wars were.

ANSWERS

1) Palpatine was a Senator elected Chancellor who got emergency powers.

I will extrapollate that he orchestrated the Trade Federation Crisis and Valorum's fall, to win the sympathy vote and win the Chancellor's seat.

I will extrapollate that he (through Count Dooku) runs the Confederacy as well, and keeps the war going so he can retain emergency (dictatoral powers)

2) Obi-Wan was too young to train Anakin, who was too old and attached to his mother, and non-Jedi ways of thinking, to fully embrace the training. But because Qui-Gon was killed, Obi-Wan pledges to train the already-9-year-old boy before he himself was really ready.

3) Owen is Luke's grandmother's step-son, and his father's step-brother.

4) Padme is Luke's mother. I'm extrapollating, but it's obvious.

5) Stormtroopers are likely Clones - though after the Empire's been established, some can be drafted - but obedience is drilled into them, and they are highly influenced by those with Force powers.

6) Leia's mother served in the Senate with Bail Organa. They were both Loyalists and allies, and likely had similar sentiments against Palpatine when it became apparent they'd be required.

7) Obi-Wan was trained in the temple - likely since he was a baby - and like the EU tells us, Yoda instructed him until he was old enough to be an apprentice. Qui-Gon became Obi-Wan's master for 11 years until he was killed.
While only 15 years apart in age, Anakin became his first padawan learner.

8) Anakin sought revenge for his mother's death.

Extrapolation: Palpatine will reveal to Anakin that the Jedi have betrayed him through what I hope for, will be terrible secrets that will be uncovered in Episode 3. Just like ROTJ takes it to 3 movies to finalize and bring closure to Luke's father as an issue, there's nothing wrong with the prequels moving in the same way in so far as information is revealed, plus it's a good bet to expect that anyway.

9) Jedi were chosen at birth, they trained in a temple at Coruscant, went out on master-padawan missions together, had a High Council, were great warriors, etc. They were many species and we got to see a lot of them.

10) The Clone Wars (so far) are a bunch of Clones in proto-stormtrooper armor, being led by Jedi generals, against a bunch of battledroids bought wholesale by greedy corporations who want to operate without Republic trade restrictions.

So far my OT questions have pretty much all been answered. Speculation about what HAS TO HAPPEN in E3 finishes the job perfectly.

So I got exactly what I wanted from the prequel movies.

stillakid
07-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Stillakid, I don't want to debate you, but so I can help you "make a perfect movie that morons everywhere will love" I'll tell you why

I think the prequels were not only greatly entertaining, but perefect movies in my opinion - because I'm not one to think they were flawed:...

I won't argue that everything you wrote is in there or can be extrapolated (or rationalized out). As difficult as it may be to believe, I too have the power within me to see what you see. I guess it boils down to the desire to. I simply don't want to work that hard to have a movie make sense. I get what Lucas was trying to impart, but too often it never really worked if you looked at it even a little bit. The entire Palpatine maneuvering is precisely what the Prequels are supposed to be about and we do get to see some kind of political manipulation going on. But upon review of the whole nefarious plan, it doesn't make one cottonpickin' (or nitpickin' ;) ) bit o' sense. Simply backtracking from the start of the Clone Wars will illustrate to anyone with a pulse that Palpatine's "plan" (if he ever really had one) "worked" only because of dumb luck and happenstance. MC Escher would be proud of the convoluted nature of that plotline except Escher's staircase at least went somewhere (back to the beginning). Lucas's plot meanders into the green screen.

Anyhow, like I said, one's outlook depends on what you are willing to do in order to find enjoyment. In general, I'm not one to let the "nitpicky" details go. I do on occasion, particularly when I don't go in expecting too much. But when expectations for greatness are already there, I don't think that it's out of the question to be disappointed by the results.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-09-2004, 12:19 PM
I'm kinda upset at the rancor pit (I don't really post in there anymore at all) because it's TOTALLY slowed down all of the posts for star wars and other toy related stuff :(

I used to get scads of emails from SSG and now I get about 2 or 3 in an 8 hour period or so...because there's not many new star wars/toy related threads out there anymore...they're all in the rancor pit.

I even tried about a week or so ago to bring back some way old threads and some people took a few bites, but alas, they fell back into the dregs pit. :(

EDIT: after going back and reading everything else in here :nerv: hehe I want to say, as I have in other posts, I'm happy that the rancor pit is there for the peeps who love it. I just wanted to say how sad I am that the rest of the stuff has slowed down quite a bit...but alas, I'm sure it'll pick up again when the first ep3 trailer comes out ;)

Kidhuman
07-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Right now the SW forums seem to be picking up. With the release of OTC and VOTC, the reviews and findings are picking up. The discussions about new product will most likely come in a few months as Hasbro hopefully releases some pics for EP3 stuff. The Rancor Pit seems to be slowing down, as the same topics keep getting beaten into submission. Overall, the Rancor Pit did nicley to fill in some gaps, and hopefully will stay up for the newer issues that arise.

Tycho
07-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Yes, the Rancor Pit has slowed down tremendously. I think it's getting out of our system. New things (like John Edwards' nomination and the new Al-Queda threat) come up, but we have a place to discuss them. But most of us have had a chance to make our position clear and rant to the other side "why it's their fault that the world sucks," or whatever. Hopefully, we'll always have that chance and the section stays up, but like a new toy, it gets played with the first month, and then starts to be forgotten. The Rancor Pit will never be totally forgotten, but Star Wars will have plenty of new things we all love in store for us.

Bringing this discussion back to SW for the moment, STILLAKID, let me just show you what I see in Palpatine's plan: he left himself options and choices even if his vision of the future was a bit flawed - especially where it came to Amidala.

Supposition: (but actually the book Cloak of Deception) - he set up a crisis with Valorum mired in scandal and looking ineffective while...

1) Pirates raided trade routes - because groups like Captain Kohls were working for credits, unaware that the Sith backed their activities.

2) Trade Federation wanted to arm themselves or get Republic protection.
Everything they'd want they'd get, and a Sith Lord was appearing as a hologram telling them what would happen, while Darth Maul was behind the scenes making sure it did (e-book, Darth Maul: Saboteur). By stopping a civil war on mining planet by taking over both competing companies' contracts, the Trade Federation ended up with representation in the Galactic Senate - which should have been ridiculous for a corporation.

3) The TF agreed to partol the space lanes and stop pirating, but they needed a huge droid army to do it. To help pay them for their private contract for public service, TAXES had to be charged for inter-stellar shipping. As no one knew Palpatine was Darth Sidious, "the Senator of Naboo protested the taxes which were hard on Naboo," and got allies in the senate to back him against those who supported the taxes, like the Trade Federation.

MOVIE TIME

4) Meanwhile, Darth Sidious (the same guy as Palpatine, though the movies are waiting to reveal this as some big secret for the kids who might not get it) orders the Trade Federation to blockade Naboo because Palpatine's people don't want to pay taxes and support the kind of rip-off doing business with Nute Gunray actually is.

5)

a) he was after a way to backstab Valorum and get elected Chancellor

b) he'd get a sympathy vote if his homeworld was occupied and his Queen under arrest and forced to sign a Trade Treaty legitimizing the TF's occupation, and thereby taxes.

c) if for any reason he did not, he (as Palpatine) could protest paying taxes to the Federation's private brand of corrupt interstellar security, and call for an ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC (a publically funded solution for safety patrols in the hyperspace lanes) to replace the Trade Federation's corruption. Then he could still take the momentum from his cause and become Chancellor with a Republic Army at his beckon.

6) Obviously he wanted the army ready and a need for it so...

a) he made sure Clones were being readied in the correct amount of time

b) he brought the Republic's slowness and inherent time-delay it took to act (being a democracy with "commissions appointed to study the problem") to a boiling point - albeit 10 years later because Padme foiled his secret plans to use the TF crisis as a jumping off point.

c) so with Maul dead, he recruited Dooku to engineer a Civil War that would require him to have martial law powers. The only difference is that while Naboo would have been Separatist before, it remained loyalist because its former Senator was now the Chancellor.

Palpatine is the real "hero" of the Prequels as he is manipulating everything. I'd say it's almost an E3 spoiler discussion because it's "really good speculation" but I think I figured out why he has Force abilities and who else is involved in his schemes - who even had a "supposedly" larger scheme they thought he would play along with - but didn't realize he was a Sith and had the largest scheme of all of them. I think I know what one of the big E3 shockers will be - but it's pure speculation - so if I don't see any complaints from anyone here...

SPECULATION ----- SPECULATION ---- SPECULATION ----SPECULATION

Palpatine was a Jedi and Yoda, Mace, most of the Council knew who he was. That's why he can ride on a ship with them and they don't react to being surprised that he is strong in the Force. Palpatine just masks it well from other Jedi, who deal with him less than the Council does, and less frequently.

However, a long time back, while Palpatine was a Jedi, his Sith Master before him contacted him and instructed him in the ways of the Dark Side. So he was actually a Sith who lived in the Jedi Temple.

With Palpatine's persuasion, and possibly the secret manuevering of the Sith Master on the fringes, something helped the Jedi decide they needed to meddle in the Senate. They chose Palpatine as being ready for the mission and helped him ingratiate himself to the Naboo, (perhaps he was born there before they took him to be a Jedi), and Palpatine returns home to be elected to the Senate eventually.

The plan is for him to be a mild-leader and with a gentle hand move the Senate back on track.

Palpatine has other plans and to Mace and Yoda's surprise, engineers his election as Chancellor.

Now the Jedi are stuck with him or they must admit to the public that they took over government affairs - and on top of it - they are being blamed for Dooku starting civil war as all hell breaks loose.

The public will blame the Jedi and want to be rid of them - only the facts about Palpatine will not be publically known. But Palpatine's Dark Side powers aren't known to unsuspecting Jedi either.

This would all make sense and tie things up neatly. It's a simple way to go.

If it was true, then all Lucas is doing STILLAKID is running an on-going plot reveal that you have to see all 3 movies to totally get all the facts. However, each is entertaining on its own level (bounty hunter chases, etc) and you keep getting tempted to come back to see how the mystery unravels.

The sequel trilogy worked in somewhat of a similar fashion - revolving around Luke wanting to be like his father, learning his father was possibly Darth Vader, learning his father IS Darth Vader, and seeing himself becoming just like his father, then finding his faith in his Dad to do the right thing so that Luke could survive it all. It was much simpler as everything like the Empire was established already and you just took it for granted in those movies.

Tycho
07-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Today, now, It's like 8 pm and I have to get everything ready for tomorrow, work out, possibly go to Wal-Mart and the grocery store for some errand items (in which case I'll likely buy another Transformer to make it more fun) and all I want to do is read stuff online (sort of tyring of that) and read the latest Boba Fett book which introduces Grevious.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Today, now, It's like 8 pm and I have to get everything ready for tomorrow, work out, possibly go to Wal-Mart and the grocery store for some errand items (in which case I'll likely buy another Transformer to make it more fun) and all I want to do is read stuff online (sort of tyring of that) and read the latest Boba Fett book which introduces Grevious.

Well, at least you are not bored ;)

Let's see, if you already have enough food to eat tonight, then you can go to the grocery store tomorrow, after work. You shouldn't workout everyday anyway, it's not good for you so why not skip the gym tonight? Last, Wal-Mart will always be there so you can go there tomorrow as well when you go to the grocery store.

Never do today what you can do tomorrow, or even the next day!

And now you can hang out online AND read your new Boba Fett book :D

I myself am not bored...been painting my room red with black doors and trim. Looks smokin' Got lots of my star wars, and T3 movie posters framed and hung up and now I need to buy shelves for my wall, lightswitch plates that match, new rugs, a tv stand and a black comforter cover. Eh, VOILA!

Tycho
07-11-2004, 11:38 PM
I did do the dishes.

My girlfriend kind of wants to come over. I'm kind of in one of those "in my own little world moments though."

She's always welcome if she wants to come by - she knows that. I'm just afraid I won't pay attention to her (like a good guy should) - well until it's time to go to bed. ;)

I could invite her to go to Wal-Mart with me (when I get my toothepaste, Listerine, Smokescreen Transformer, etc.) How much fun could that be?

I think avoidance is sometimes a good thing. I don't know. Maybe she'll want to go workout and go swimming. I think I'll call her about that.

Why not?

Deoxyribonucleic
07-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Well, as long as you have company I s'pose. Although it is my experience that when you are in one of those "my own little world" modes, it's best to stay away from people, especially people you love. ;)

But man, it's getting late. It's 9 o'clock already....you'll have to call her, wait for her to come over, get in the car, go to TWO different places....heck you probably won't get home until midnight and then you have to get ready for bed, go to sleep...get up early?? And so on and so forth. I'm not sure why I keep trying to talk you out of "doing" things tonight lol lol lol

hehe ;)

Actually, whatever you do, have some fun :D

stillakid
07-12-2004, 12:04 AM
My life is in flux at the moment so I'm trying to squeeze the joy out of every mundane moment possible. Which, I suppose is how we really should lead our lives anyway. You never know when it'll be all over.

Having said that, I do wonder whether or not that bit o' logic is in the vin diagram 75% of the time I'm wrong or the vin diagram 25% that I'm right. Hmm? :ermm:

Tycho
07-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Ah. For the boredom relief thread: AN OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW!

WHAT IS A VIN DIAGRAM?

stillakid
07-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Ah. For the boredom relief thread: AN OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW!

WHAT IS A VIN DIAGRAM?

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=333149&postcount=72

http://www.projectalevel.co.uk/maths/settheory.htm

Tycho
07-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Oh yeah. I remember vin diagrams from algebra etc. now.

I used to love school and learning things.

I ended up talking to my girlfriend on the phone tonight and we talked about taking classes for fun together. It's good to learn new things.

This will sound wierd, but I like exercising my brain. Do you guys know what I mean? I have to maintain some kind of neural electricity action level up there or it feels really dead to me. Like when I'm trying to shave. I have nothing to concentrate on really. I've been shaving since I was a teenager. So I think about other things, and then I have to come and post them.

The internet is expanding idea trading and philosophy like never before. I can discuss profound things I think of right after I get out of the shower...

I mean, yes I thought "it's time to use some Tilex and ScrubFree" while I was in there ("maybe some bleach too") but I really thought about whether people were meant to evolve into Vegans, what the meaning of life was, and whether my **** was as large as I wanted it to be.

Tycho
07-12-2004, 03:16 AM
Hey Stillakid, you didn't respond to my prequel predictions and "what Palpatine is up to" post.

You don't have to - just don't know if you missed it.

BTW, instead of working out I made up a thread about X-Tina getting a sex change. How's that for boredom relief activity?

(general discussion section)

stillakid
07-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Hey Stillakid, you didn't respond to my prequel predictions and "what Palpatine is up to" post.

You don't have to - just don't know if you missed it.

BTW, instead of working out I made up a thread about X-Tina getting a sex change. How's that for boredom relief activity?

(general discussion section)

Yeah, I missed it. Sorry. Where does one find such a thread?

Tycho
07-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Here it is!

Bringing this discussion back to SW for the moment, STILLAKID, let me just show you what I see in Palpatine's plan: he left himself options and choices even if his vision of the future was a bit flawed - especially where it came to Amidala.

Supposition: (but actually the book Cloak of Deception) - he set up a crisis with Valorum mired in scandal and looking ineffective while...

1) Pirates raided trade routes - because groups like Captain Kohls were working for credits, unaware that the Sith backed their activities.

2) Trade Federation wanted to arm themselves or get Republic protection.
Everything they'd want they'd get, and a Sith Lord was appearing as a hologram telling them what would happen, while Darth Maul was behind the scenes making sure it did (e-book, Darth Maul: Saboteur). By stopping a civil war on mining planet by taking over both competing companies' contracts, the Trade Federation ended up with representation in the Galactic Senate - which should have been ridiculous for a corporation.

3) The TF agreed to partol the space lanes and stop pirating, but they needed a huge droid army to do it. To help pay them for their private contract for public service, TAXES had to be charged for inter-stellar shipping. As no one knew Palpatine was Darth Sidious, "the Senator of Naboo protested the taxes which were hard on Naboo," and got allies in the senate to back him against those who supported the taxes, like the Trade Federation.

MOVIE TIME

4) Meanwhile, Darth Sidious (the same guy as Palpatine, though the movies are waiting to reveal this as some big secret for the kids who might not get it) orders the Trade Federation to blockade Naboo because Palpatine's people don't want to pay taxes and support the kind of rip-off doing business with Nute Gunray actually is.

5)

a) he was after a way to backstab Valorum and get elected Chancellor

b) he'd get a sympathy vote if his homeworld was occupied and his Queen under arrest and forced to sign a Trade Treaty legitimizing the TF's occupation, and thereby taxes.

c) if for any reason he did not, he (as Palpatine) could protest paying taxes to the Federation's private brand of corrupt interstellar security, and call for an ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC (a publically funded solution for safety patrols in the hyperspace lanes) to replace the Trade Federation's corruption. Then he could still take the momentum from his cause and become Chancellor with a Republic Army at his beckon.

a) he made sure Clones were being readied in the correct amount of time

b) he brought the Republic's slowness and inherent time-delay it took to act (being a democracy with "commissions appointed to study the problem") to a boiling point - albeit 10 years later because Padme foiled his secret plans to use the TF crisis as a jumping off point.

c) so with Maul dead, he recruited Dooku to engineer a Civil War that would require him to have martial law powers. The only difference is that while Naboo would have been Separatist before, it remained loyalist because its former Senator was now the Chancellor.

Palpatine is the real "hero" of the Prequels as he is manipulating everything. I'd say it's almost an E3 spoiler discussion because it's "really good speculation" but I think I figured out why he has Force abilities and who else is involved in his schemes - who even had a "supposedly" larger scheme they thought he would play along with - but didn't realize he was a Sith and had the largest scheme of all of them. I think I know what one of the big E3 shockers will be - but it's pure speculation - so if I don't see any complaints from anyone here...

SPECULATION ----- SPECULATION ---- SPECULATION ----SPECULATION

Palpatine was a Jedi and Yoda, Mace, most of the Council knew who he was. That's why he can ride on a ship with them and they don't react to being surprised that he is strong in the Force. Palpatine just masks it well from other Jedi, who deal with him less than the Council does, and less frequently.

However, a long time back, while Palpatine was a Jedi, his Sith Master before him contacted him and instructed him in the ways of the Dark Side. So he was actually a Sith who lived in the Jedi Temple.

With Palpatine's persuasion, and possibly the secret manuevering of the Sith Master on the fringes, something helped the Jedi decide they needed to meddle in the Senate. They chose Palpatine as being ready for the mission and helped him ingratiate himself to the Naboo, (perhaps he was born there before they took him to be a Jedi), and Palpatine returns home to be elected to the Senate eventually.

The plan is for him to be a mild-leader and with a gentle hand move the Senate back on track.

Palpatine has other plans and to Mace and Yoda's surprise, engineers his election as Chancellor.

Now the Jedi are stuck with him or they must admit to the public that they took over government affairs - and on top of it - they are being blamed for Dooku starting civil war as all hell breaks loose.

The public will blame the Jedi and want to be rid of them - only the facts about Palpatine will not be publically known. But Palpatine's Dark Side powers aren't known to unsuspecting Jedi either.

This would all make sense and tie things up neatly. It's a simple way to go.

If it was true, then all Lucas is doing STILLAKID is running an on-going plot reveal that you have to see all 3 movies to totally get all the facts. However, each is entertaining on its own level (bounty hunter chases, etc) and you keep getting tempted to come back to see how the mystery unravels.

The sequel trilogy worked in somewhat of a similar fashion - revolving around Luke wanting to be like his father, learning his father was possibly Darth Vader, learning his father IS Darth Vader, and seeing himself becoming just like his father, then finding his faith in his Dad to do the right thing so that Luke could survive it all. It was much simpler as everything like the Empire was established already and you just took it for granted in those movies.

stillakid
07-12-2004, 01:20 PM
I think you’re good up to here.

Because of this:

While we don’t know for sure, it seems from movie information that a Clone Army was not ready 10 years hence. So, theoretically, if Amidala hadn’t “foiled” Palpatine’s plan (which I still submit was ill-conceived and makes little sense), he wouldn’t have had an army “ready to go” to back him up. Palpatine would have been left floundering in the Senate and stalling for time until his “muscle” was up to speed.

As far as Palpatine being a Jedi, I suppose that possibility has as much weight as does mine which suggests that Palpatine didn’t start using the Force himself until after the Jedi were all but exterminated. While there is plenty of circumstantial evidence to support my speculation, there is nothing specific to point to that would allow us to definitively say yea or nay. The same holds true for your own idea. It may be possible that the gang at the old folks home did in fact “sense” Palpatine all along, but just didn’t realize that he was a bad guy at the same time. I do question that however based on the little we know about Jedi in terms of it being a “religion” or “organization.” I’m not that aware of the third party literature regarding this so you’ll have to correct me if applicable, but it seems as if a person enters training then leaves, they would be regarded with some kind of suspicion. It isn’t like becoming a plumber. Learning the Jedi trade involves learning some potentially deadly and manipulative tricks that could be used in nefarious ways. As the Jedi realize that “something is afoot,” one would think that the first glance of suspicion would turn toward Palpatine. They already know that Dooku is using his powers against the Republic. If the Jedi were already aware of Palpatine’s history, it would be a no brainer to go in and confront him immediately. You might suggest that this is what will happen in Episode III, but in the meantime, if all this turned out to be true, then the Jedi look like ignoramuses for standing around at the end of AOTC with their fingers up their backsides and dopey looks on their faces. If they really are that dense (in the “I can’t tell that Clark Kent is Superman” kind of way) then the Jedi deserved to get their collective arses kicked.

Tycho
07-12-2004, 03:21 PM
I agree with you on a Star Wars prequel topic for once, Stillakid! (print and frame this post ;) )

I think that if the Jedi's most high and mighty elitists knowingly and purposefully worked to hatch a plan to infiltrate Palpatine into Naboo's senate delegation, then they'd be much more wary because not only are they looking stupid by the end of AOTC, but they are very directly to blame!

Palpatine was supposed to be their agent in the Senate (the Jedi don't intervene in Senate decisions - well not now. Now they can just do it with subterfuge - only their subterfuge specialist went and orchestrated his election to being Supreme Chancellor. Can Mace and Yoda say "Whoops?"

Meanwhile, for this storyline to work, the Sith had to be corrupting already trained Jedi for their apprentices all along - since the Jedi would have to have a birth record for Palpatine, and took care of him since he was a baby.

This could be why Mace looks so guilty and troubled in Palpatine's office.

And if my idea is true, man would that anger Anakin - especially after he learns that this deceptive bunch just let him kill his own father (Dooku).

I don't think Anakin is special - virgin birth, mythology of spontaneous reproduction by instincts of midichlorians etc. Qui-Gon might believe that, but perhaps George Lucas doesn't. That being the case, why can Anakin fulfill his destiny and resist Palpatine's Dark Side Lightning to save Luke? "He's more machine now than man.." Palpatine created his own fall when he constructed Darth Vader.

Anakin's obviously not that talented of Jedi: He's a good pilot but he lost to Dooku, and he loses to Obi-Wan. 2 times a loser is a loser, right? So he'd lose to Palpatine and just get wasted by DS Lightning like he did when he rushed Dooku. Well not if there was no more flesh to electrocute (pretty much).

Rumors have Anakin's body totally destroyed but for the head and a shoulder (maybe something of his left arm).

Remember in the CW cartoon when he used his bionic hand to crush Ventress' hand and make her release one of her lightsabers to him? Maybe Gennedy figured on something like this (or had help) when he wrote it.

Remember how the mastermind villain cliche is that they create their own downfall? well we've already seen Return of the Jedi - and Palpatine did a good job playing the arch-type.

stillakid
07-12-2004, 03:46 PM
I agree with you on a Star Wars prequel topic for once, Stillakid! (print and frame this post ;) )
Don't get too excited there...

And if my idea is true, man would that anger Anakin - especially after he learns that this deceptive bunch just let him kill his own father (Dooku).
The idea of having Dooku being the father of Anakin relies on so much conjecture and happenstance as to be even stranger than the virgin-birth. If we assume for the sake of argument that Dooku did knock Shmi up, then what are the astronomical odds that Qui and Obi's mission would "fail" above Naboo, that they would rescue Amidala only to have their ship damaged thereby necessitating a maintenance trip somewhere that just so happened to be where Dooku's Midichlorian-rich prodigy is growing up. Then, magically, our stranded heros would have to somehow pick that one kid out of a population of many thousands by pure chance that the one place that has the part they need for the ship is also the one place lil' Dooku Jr. is playing mechanic-boy. Then, Palpatine's plan would necessitate that the shop owner (Watto) wouldn't accept Republic credits whereby the Jedi envoy would employ Dooku Jr. in a scheme which would then result in his freedom from slavery and acceptance into the Jedi school.

Escher anyone?

I don't think Anakin is special - virgin birth, mythology of spontaneous reproduction by instincts of midichlorians etc. Qui-Gon might believe that, but perhaps George Lucas doesn't.
Look, I don't like it either (as well as a hundred other things in the Prequels) but this one is here to stay. It fits Georgy baby's profile to a T, trying to weave in as much ancient mythology and anthropology as possible even when it borders on the plain ol' silly. I guess all I'm suggesting is to not get your hopes up.

Tycho
07-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, part of mythology is that it's executed with way too many coincidences to bring the story along it's path.

That being said, then the Dooku Jr. theory could fit. It's also why I proposed that Han Solo would be from the next line of Clones.

In that sort of happenstance, it could all make sense - and Greedo could have Darth Vader's overdue library books when he got what was coming to him...

So in mythology, there is all that coincidence:

Luke's uncle just happens to buy R2D2 from the Jawas so that when R2 goes looking for Obi-Wan, Luke is following him leading him into an adventure that will ultimately help his father confront the Emperor.

In the whole wide galaxy, Leia's adopted father happens to be the leader of the Rebel Alliance, whereby Luke meets his long-lost twin sister in their fight for a revolution against the tyranical government of their father's. OK, granted, E3 will probably show us that it is no coincidence Leia ends up with Padme's colleague Bail Organa, as perhaps Padme has anti-Empire sympathies along with Organa, so that's a bit less of a coincidence.

However, R2 could have found Obi-Wan, who might've taken off by himself, (perhaps with Han and Chewie, but not with Luke) to go to Alderaan and attempt to deliver the stolen plans for the Death Star.

But as Qui-Gon always says, "it is the will of the Force."

So in this universe where the tail is told with a bunch of coincidences (like the Death Star's weakness requires a sharp-shooting pilot to exploit it -and this guy from a farm, Jedi ancestry or not, just happens to be the exact kind of pilot they need...) well anyway, in this universe of coincidences, Dooku being Anakin's father (giving him heck of a motivation to turn on the Jedi from the good-storyline sense) is a heck of a lot more appealing than a virgin birth by unsentient midichlorians.

Coincidence or MidiChlorians? Which would you choose? I'll go with coincidence mysef. (BTW, just pick one or the other for your answer).

Midichlorians I am ok with - but here's what I think:

they are not sentient.
they are instinctual.
they don't talk to people, just like in your thread you don't think God talks to people
Qui-Gon phrased that metaphorically so a 9 year old would understand him
midichlorians give people a better 6th sense, or instinct
Qui-Gon told Anakin to trust his instincts but phrased it as listen to midichlorians
midichlorians are mitochondria - cells that are mutated and advanced more in some than others

So there's a scientific explanation for how a Jedi accesses the Force - however, it's still mythological in why some people and not others. Jango Fett wished he had the Force. But he didn't and he couldn't have been cloned with it (supposedly) but it was an interesting topic for them to explore in one of the Jedi Apprentice books when Obi-Wan rescued Qui-Gon from a scientist that had him captured and was going to bleed him to find out how to replicate his midichlorians so she could access the Force or clone a Jedi,etc. It was a Junior Reader Scholastic book - funny how they are better than adult books?

So anyway, I feel the mystery is still there, but they grounded a little more reality into SW - especially in that book with people trying to acquire the Force. That's a great idea to explore - since in a universe with Jedi, that'd be the realistic result: Haliburton would try and patent midichlorian injections or something... you know they would.

stillakid
07-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Eh :ermm: , there's coincidence and there's "spin." I see where you're going with this but methinks it's an effort to "downgrade" the OT to a level where the PT sits more than anything else. Let me explain:

So in mythology, there is all that coincidence:

Luke's uncle just happens to buy R2D2 from the Jawas so that when R2 goes looking for Obi-Wan, Luke is following him leading him into an adventure that will ultimately help his father confront the Emperor.
While on the surface this might appear to be a coincidence, R2 went looking for Obi Wan Kenobi on the planet on purpose. While it might be a "coincidence," it isn't out of the realm of probability given that Old Ben was hovering around the same geographical area that Luke was being raised in. Plus, as you enjoy using extracurricular resources as supportive arguments, the Radio Drama specifically has Leia programming Old Ben's coordinates into R2...so he wasn't just wandering around aimlessly. He knew where to go. Coincidence that R2 wound up with Owen and Luke? Perhaps a little, but a little bit of happenstance is required to advance nearly every story. One bit of advice I learned early on was that readers will forgive you for coincidences that get your characters into trouble, never for those that get them out. R2 falling into Luke's hands was the precursor to nothing but tragedy for him...life as he knew it was turned upside down. On the other hand, our Prequel heroes just happening to land on Tatooine encountered practically no ill effects from that chance meeting. The only real reason for them being there was A) for George to show off a pod-race, and B) to introduce Anakin into the story. No ill effects at all and when it comes down to it, almost no positive either. It was milque-toast from beginning to end. snore. :zzz:

In the whole wide galaxy, Leia's adopted father happens to be the leader of the Rebel Alliance, whereby Luke meets his long-lost twin sister in their fight for a revolution against the tyranical government of their father's. OK, granted, E3 will probably show us that it is no coincidence Leia ends up with Padme's colleague Bail Organa, as perhaps Padme has anti-Empire sympathies along with Organa, so that's a bit less of a coincidence.Exactly. :)

However, R2 could have found Obi-Wan, who might've taken off by himself, (perhaps with Han and Chewie, but not with Luke) to go to Alderaan and attempt to deliver the stolen plans for the Death Star.
Yeah, this is one idea that we could speculate on til we're dead...however if we deal with motives and probabilities, you have to take into consideration exactly why Obi Wan took Luke to live with his brother, Owen, and why Old Ben hovered so close by in the shadows. He most likely wasn't just trying to save the boy from the purge...he was keeping him "safe" for future use when he would be "old enough" to take on the Jedi training. As "luck" would have it, the choice of timing was made for Obi Wan and this battlestation incident was perfect. Again, pure speculation, but it isn't out of the question that Old Ben would have dropped by the Lars farm to pick Luke up on his way out of town. The whole convincing thing would have gone down quite a bit differently as Owen probably would have put up quite a fuss and Luke wouldn't be "forced" out of the "womb" as he was, but it could have happened that way nonetheless.

But as Qui-Gon always says, "it is the will of the Force.".Uh, yeah. I don't buy that nonsense either. The "Force" as described by Yoda is a non-sentient entity. Neither good, nor bad. It just is. The "Force" cannot have a "will" nor desire nor make choices or influence people or events.

So in this universe where the tail is told with a bunch of coincidences (like the Death Star's weakness requires a sharp-shooting pilot to exploit it -and this guy from a farm, Jedi ancestry or not, just happens to be the exact kind of pilot they need...)
Funny how that worked out, huh? ;) But remember, Luke didn't necessarily use his downhome skills to accomplish that heroic act. He had to "use the Force" and "let go." Sure, he had a bit o' training in hitting "wamprats" back home, but not while dodging bad guys and listening to disembodied spirits.

well anyway, in this universe of coincidences, Dooku being Anakin's father (giving him heck of a motivation to turn on the Jedi from the good-storyline sense) is a heck of a lot more appealing than a virgin birth by unsentient midichlorians. See, I thought Midichlorians were supposed to be the "sentient" element in all of this, while the "Force" was the non-sentient element. :confused:

Honestly, I get lost in your Dooku-is-Anakin's-father storyline. It all gets a bit convoluted for my tastes, particularly in light of what we've already seen onscreen. So as unappealing as the virgin birth is, the simplicity of it is more appealing to me than adding another few layers of convolusion (is that a word?) to an already sloppy tale.

Coincidence or MidiChlorians? Which would you choose? I'll go with coincidence mysef. (BTW, just pick one or the other for your answer).. ;) It depends. It depends on what the coincidence is. As I said above, the coincidence you propose is way too much for my tastes, specifically given the information we already know.

Midichlorians I am ok with - but here's what I think:

they are not sentient.
they are instinctual.
they don't talk to people,
But your hero Qui Gon says they are and do. :confused:

just like in your thread you don't think God talks to people)..
I never said that. I said that I don't know if He does and neither does anyone else...for certain.

Qui-Gon phrased that metaphorically so a 9 year old would understand him
midichlorians give people a better 6th sense, or instinct
Qui-Gon told Anakin to trust his instincts but phrased it as listen to midichlorians
midichlorians are mitochondria - cells that are mutated and advanced more in some than others
Your conjecture. But just so I understand your concept, you're suggesting that Qui Gon "made up" the Midichlorian story to put "Force use" in some kind of tangible and accessible manner? What does that say about Obi Wan and his magical Midi counter?

So there's a scientific explanation for how a Jedi accesses the Force - however, it's still mythological in why some people and not others. Jango Fett wished he had the Force. But he didn't and he couldn't have been cloned with it (supposedly) but it was an interesting topic for them to explore in one of the Jedi Apprentice books when Obi-Wan rescued Qui-Gon from a scientist that had him captured and was going to bleed him to find out how to replicate his midichlorians so she could access the Force or clone a Jedi,etc. It was a Junior Reader Scholastic book - funny how they are better than adult books?

So anyway, I feel the mystery is still there, but they grounded a little more reality into SW - especially in that book with people trying to acquire the Force. That's a great idea to explore - since in a universe with Jedi, that'd be the realistic result: Haliburton would try and patent midichlorian injections or something... you know they would.
Coming from me, this probably sounds hypocritical, but George needed to leave well enough alone. Kasdan wrote a beautiful description of exactly what the Force is and exactly how to tap into it way back when. It was so good that audiences didn't even seem to mind that a little green gnome Muppet said it. No "science" necessary. Sure, there is science to explain that the "Force" is an "energy field" which runs parallel with our current models of String Theory. But to "tap into it" is one of those nebulus "feeling" things. I accepted it way back in '77 and see no reason to upset the apple cart now. :)

Tycho
07-12-2004, 06:12 PM
What does that say about Obi-Wan and his magic-midi-counter? Nothing.

Qui-Gon gave Anakin a blood test and his little "tricorder device" didn't have a display screen, so he transmitted the data readback to Obi-Wan. Like sending your blood to the lab. Qui-Gon was just the nurse who made the slide.

As to going to Tatooine to introduce Anakin into the story - well that had to happen.

Again, by NOT starting with him as an adult, we do get to show off a podrace, but we can show it, versus just telling of Anakin's abilities. The race had entertainment value (perhaps more to Lucas than all of us, but...)

1) we see that Anakin was attached to his mom and there's reason to speculate she kept secrets - like the identity of his father.

2) we can see Anakin do something deplorable, like committing genocide to avenge his mom (later).

3) we can see that he was too old to start his training, because he'd formed previous attachments and practical values, not rulebook quoting governing his actions.

4) we can see that Obi-Wan was too young and inexperienced at the time to deal with him (being only 15 years apart in age) and that Obi-Wan inherited Anakin from Qui-Gon when typically the Jedi would never allow this.

5) If Dooku was Anakin's father, Shmi would have heard about Qui-Gon (probably in his 40's by the time Anakin was conceived) and since she already knew who he was (I didn't say she'd met him before, she just knew of him) she could trust him to take her only son.

So I think all this was set up for the above reasons.

Hence the audience (like yourself) might have thought we could have started with E2, but it would then spawn another set or prequel movie to answer some questions - like why Obi-Wan fails to train Anakin (as well as how Palpatine became chancellor and orchestrated the Republic's civil war).

Yeah - Palpatine's rise to power is the other thing that needed to happen - though we weren't really discussing it here.

I said "the Will of the Force" metaphorically or sarcastically. I meant that's what Qui-Gon calls fate. To me, it's just fate. An order to the universe of how it's supposed to unfold that's well beyond the Force.

You're right. Obi-Wan probably kept close to Luke for the right time. I'm not sure then why he didn't raise Luke and train him all these years. But it might be because he promised Vader that he wouldn't. I still think that Obi-Wan knows about Darth Vader because they meet in E3, DO NOT FIGHT (as Anakin just got his azz kicked by Obi-Wan anyway) and he decides to temper Palpatine from being on his side, while Obi-Wan protects his son like only a Jedi can. It won't shock me, but I think that one of Lucas' "this will really shock them" is that Palpatine and Vader both knew of and agreed to let Luke live. Vader traded his life for his son's in keeping with his "I'm a tragic hero - no really" approach to things (and why he's a Sith but let Obi-Wan go, etc.)
So maybe the bargain was to keep out of the Empire, watch over Luke, but not train him. Obi-Wan figured that he'd know when the time came to reneg on this promise - or heck - even more weird - he and Anakin planned it for Luke - to help Vader overthrow Palpatine. "Obi-Wan knew this was your destiny..." But Vader is corrupted by the Dark Side by the OT, he's just not as loyal as Palpatine thinks he is (see ESB).

Exhaust Port
07-12-2004, 06:28 PM
I love that this thread has made it to 5 pages with 95% of the participants being Stilla, JJB and Tycho. I really don't have anything to add but figured I'd jump in and "mix it up" a bit with the alternating Tycho/Stilla responses. My job is done.....carry on. :)

plasticfetish
07-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Complaint: I just had one of those "Italian BMT" sandwiches from Subway, and now I'm too sleepy to get any work done. :zzz:

Deoxyribonucleic
07-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Complaint: I just had one of those "Italian BMT" sandwiches from Subway, and now I'm too sleepy to get any work done. :zzz:

How's your breath? :dead:

Tycho
07-12-2004, 08:31 PM
My breath's great actually (I know you were asking Mr. Sandwichman).

But I'm taking the opportunity to talk about one of my pet peeves: bad breath.

Everyone would have bad breath naturally.

I keep Trident Original Flavor in my pocket every day with an extra one in my truck for when I'm driving.

I hate bad taste in my mouth (so I never have any), but it's gross when someone else doesn't take care of themselves and likes to get close to you, like in your personal space.

I liked this girl from elementary school up into high school who must have known it, because sometimes people who you have good feelings towards respond to you with good feelings. Well she started hanging around me all the time and asking me for the simplest of favors or offering them, so I knew she'd liked me.

Anyway, you're not supposed to chew gum in school (so even back then I'd have pocket mints) but a situation arises where she got so close, I think she was going to kiss me. (or I should have made my move - she was waiting for me to I could still bet to this day)

Well, I pulled back fast because I simply was not too used to people being that close to my personal space, no matter how much I wanted a girl there, and her breath - well I guess I just hadn't learned how to tolerate it - or politely offer someone a mint. I was kind of surprised.

I'd kissed girls before then, but they'd been chewing gum and orchestrating some kind of "Dare" game to initiate it - or when I was with my first girlfriend, when we were more affectionate, we weren't in school so we both chewed gum or had fresh mints.

In any case, I always wonder if the girl I never kissed could have been the love of my life?

Nothing bad happened out of the incident. She just followed me around for another year and then I changed high schools, so we never got a chance (and I had a different girlfriend anyway, so it's not like I could've openly got away with it without hurting someone I really cared for a lot)

Anyway, today, I still shrink from someone with bad breath. It's probably a natural instinct so that you don't breath their germs. (your breath is worse when you are stuffed up or sick) But I can't concentrate on anything they're saying and I hope I'm not rude to them.

But anyway, that's my rant and my little story.

plasticfetish
07-12-2004, 08:55 PM
How's your breath? :dead:
Not good I'm sure. But I did have a little nap, a cup of coffee (so my breath's even worse) and I'm back in business. :)

Tycho, I understand you're breath thing and about the girls and all that -- and even though I'm sure my own breath tends to be terrible from time to time (like now) I can sympathize. But... I used to (and maybe still do, I dunno) have this weird fetish for girls with cigarette smoke on their breath. I'm not sure exactly what it was really. Maybe it was the whole juvenile delinquent appeal to it all. Along the same lines though, I found that peppermint schnapps was a perfect fix-it for the whole bad breath/kissing problem. ;)

stillakid
07-12-2004, 10:55 PM
I love that this thread has made it to 5 pages with 95% of the participants being Stilla, JJB and Tycho. I really don't have anything to add but figured I'd jump in and "mix it up" a bit with the alternating Tycho/Stilla responses. My job is done.....carry on. :)

Free tickets. Nobody is keeping anyone out as far as I can tell. :) That said, this message will self-destruct in 5 minutes so that I'm not unnecessarily adding to the unbalanced post count. After all, if my posts are part of that 95% here and I am 75% wrong according the latest Ven diagrams, then most of this thread is hooey! :dead:

stillakid
07-12-2004, 10:59 PM
What does that say about Obi-Wan and his magic-midi-counter? Nothing.

Sure it does. It was a rhetorical "yes" it does. It says that Obi Wan is an immature child just like Anakin who needs a tangible "device" to help him understand "the Force" thingie (apparently like Lucas's own kids whom he made the movie exclusively for). Unless I read it wrong, you stated that a 9 year old is too dense to really grasp the Force and how a person could use it so Qui Gonn made up this story using magical beings called Midichlorians to help him understand it in his puny 9 year old mind. But Obi Wan obviously fell for the same parable as he exclaims quite exhuberently that Anakin's Midi count is much higher than Master Yoda's. There doesn't seem to be much gray area there in terms of what Obi Wan considers to be crucial in the makeup of Force ability.

gsr-jedi
07-12-2004, 11:35 PM
I don't have many compaints right now. I'll be going to SDCC for the first time next week, so I'm excited about that. But I think the majority of my pleasant demeanor comes from the fact that I am listening to a bunch of old TV theme songs (Perfect Stranger, Welcome Back Kotter, Get Smart, etc.). That seems to put me in a good mood. Oh, and there is only 24 minutes 'til "I Love the 90s".

Plasticfetish, was the Italian BMT sandwich any good? I just recently tried their southwest chipotle cheese steak. That's a gooood sandwich. It's all I eat at Subway now.

I guess my only complaint has to do with Jack-In-the-Box. I tried one of those new Pannidos (the Deli Trio to be exact). I dislike pickles and ask them to take them off. They tell me they can't take the pickle off. They said it's too hard to take the pickle out cause they come pre-made. I can't be trying to drive down the street and take a pickle off. That irks me.

plasticfetish
07-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Plasticfetish, was the Italian BMT sandwich any good? I just recently tried their southwest chipotle cheese steak. That's a gooood sandwich. It's all I eat at Subway now.
Yeah, they're good. It's an old standard kind of sandwich. I've been thinking about that chipotle cheese steak number. I like to get the most meat filled sandwich I can, to contrast the veggie sandwich my wife always gets.

I'll be going to Comic-con for the first time next week also, friday I hope. I'm gonna load up on onions before hand and try to make out with Tycho I think. We'll see how it turns out. :nerv: :sur: :D

Tycho
07-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Yiiikes!

However, I'll be happy to meet everyone for the first time at Comic Con.

I didn't see a Hasbro SW event on their calendar. They usually post a day-by-day schedule of all the Comic Con events at least a week or two ahead of time.

This year, so far, it looks rather dull to me. The SW pavillion events don't excite me that much.

Here's what I like at Comic Con - or what I look for immediately:

Hasbro's booth with all new toys on display

Hasbro's SW panel with Q&A about next year's SW. At last Comic Con they unveiled pictures of the Wampa and Escape Pod C-3PO, and some of January and February's basic assortments. With E3 not showing up for retail until April, they could show what we'd expect to see on the pegs at Christmas and 1st Quarter next year. So I like Hasbro's slideshows (Typically Fridays)

Smallville panel - actors and producers, writers, etc. show what's planned for the next season, answer questions, and get feedback from the audience on how to shape the TV show. Last year's guest actors: Pete and Chloe. I'm still hoping for Lana and Lex, maybe even Clark or Lionnel or Johnathon Kent. The Smallville series is fun. Unfortunately, it usually has me running to the big Lucasfilm event LATE.

Lucasfilm - Sansweet will unveil the DVD and possibly show raw footage of Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. Wouldn't want to miss that, plus more cartoon network Clone Wars, news on the SW TV show - maybe even the announcement of the subject material for it. Episode 3's title? Revenge of the Sith leads the probable, but there's no confirmation.

Dark Horse panel - seeing what's going to happen to the comic characters. Being EU, Quinlan, A'Sharad Hett, Tholme, the Dark Woman, Aurra Sing, many more good characters, could die at any time. Quin and A'sharad have become like family to the SW pantheon, so their fate is very important to me. New look at Yuuzhan Vong in art? As SW Tales changes gears, it'll be great to see NJO stories in art form.

Del Rey Panel - what is going to happen after NJO? any adventures set AFTERWARD? Will we see Ben Skywalker grow up and become a Jedi? Will Jaina and Jacen take on padwans? How will the half-non-Jedi High Council work out for Luke? Will Clone Wars novels kill any main Jedi Council members? Will Mathew Stover pen another SW book where he kills, maims, and tortures another SW character? (don't get me wrong, I like his writing- it's just so shocking!)

Scholastic Books - will Boba Fett kill Wat Tambor? (the question on everyone's mind right now - because if he doesn't kill him, he'll fail Jabba the Hutt and be killed anyway!) Will Jude Watson (Jedi Quest, Jedi Apprentice make an appearance? She is such a great writer!) When will Jedi Quest end, and how about the Boba Fett series? Will she be writing any more SW books after that? Young Readers? About what characters?

New Movie Releases: Spider-man 3, Terminator 4, Aliens vs. Predator, X-men 3, The Hulk 2, Harry Potter 4, Jurrassic Park 4, any other interesting releases. Star Trek XI (a prequel?) You never know who will be there. I met Arnold Schwarzeneggar there last year and got to talk to him!

Star Wars fan club organizations - yup - going to the FanForce booths and meeting all the costumers (501st, Rebel Legion, etc.) is all fun and exciting.

Star Wars Fan Film awards - I especially like the comedies, but serious ones that are done really well are very cool. Some comedies are about waiting in line for the movie or collecting figures - it's not all fictional in the SW universe.

Anyway, there's a lot I look for. The Hasbro Q & A session if they are having one is a great place to meet everyone, since toys are our "faction" of fandom here. But the Hasbro booth at a specific time and day would work otherwise.

Want to try it?

Tycho
07-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Here it is, from RS:

"If you want the chance to speak with Hasbro representatives in a open forum please attend their Q&A session on Friday, July 23, from 11:30 to 12:30 (in Room 9)."

Those going to Comic Con, meet us there. I will wear a Black SSG STAFF polo shirt and be there with Steve. Do not be shy! Find us. We will try for front row seating where our cries and b*tching can be heard better. ;)

Plastic Fetish, as a contributor to our Top 50 list of figures we voted for, you can swear your affidavid on the choices when I present them.

Last year we distributed the complaint letters to retailers and sent out like 200 of them from Comic Con.

We also delivered the Top Cantina and Top Jabba The Hutt Patrons Polls to them with pictures, and this year we have Bubo, J'Quille, Tanus, and Rappertune, so it can't have been in vain.

plasticfetish
07-14-2004, 02:32 AM
Those going to Comic Con, meet us there. I will wear a Black SSG STAFF polo shirt and be there with Steve. Do not be shy! Find us. We will try for front row seating where our cries and b*tching can be heard better. ;)
Plastic Fetish, as a contributor to our Top 50 list of figures we voted for, you can swear your affidavid on the choices when I present them.Can do! I'm gonna try and shoot for Friday for sure. (I will have PF Jr. in tow, so that'll be interesting.) I'll be the guy with the old Spiderman t-shirt on, with the chatty kid who's really tired because he's been walking around all morning. :)

Tycho
07-14-2004, 03:18 AM
That's good news I needed.

I was on the phone all night with my little brother I adopted so many years ago.

I will be starting a thread in the Rancor Pit about Cancer. It seems like it might help and that section could take all the possible commentary.

Unfortunately, another tragedy in my extended family will come to fruition this week.

Please discuss that in the Pit. I don't want to comment about this terrible disease in two places. (just give me a minute from this post time, because I haven't started the thread yet).

mastermatt24
07-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Those going to Comic Con, meet us there.

Im going. Want me to come there? :confused:

Tycho
07-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Yes! Everyone from this site: Hasbro Star Wars, Friday, 11:30 am, room 9.

Come and wait outside Room 9 early because there will be a line! This room usually fills to standing room only.

Steve and I, as well as RS and GH staff try to get there early and start the front of the line (so you can find us there, but no we can't give you cuts or it'll give us bad press all over the other 2 websites ;) )

You can identify us as being the Smarties up front.

I've been known to ask Hasbro if they sniff Mouse Droids (like when they thought '02's action features).

I also began an in-depth discussion with the Hasbro panel on why they made the sound control button for the Reek (which moans) right you-know-where! :D I really did want to know!

In any case, last year we had petitions for everyone to mail to the home-offices of Wal-Mart, Target, and TRU and we saw some effects of our efforts as the stores supplied us with more (Wal-Mart carried the 12" when they originally said they wouldn't etc.)

This year I plan to present Hasbro with our 211 Left To Make List and it's TOP 50 Most Wanted from SSG's saga forum and the Scene-by-Scene thread which is nearly complete.

Want to cause some trouble? Join us and let the fun begin.

Seriously though - we love Hasbro. Without them, where would we be today?

Kidhuman
07-14-2004, 10:43 PM
I can go Tycho, if you book me a flight for tomorrow. :D

Tycho
08-25-2004, 03:58 AM
Well, I've accomplished so much since we last hung out in this thread.

I'm cleaning my house and organizing and downsizing my files in my file cabinet.

I am really tempted to post a story about an ostrich trying to open a bank account and finding the right weight watchers' diet that I just am making up off the top of my head, but I've always meant to write a novel. Since I forgot how to transform my transformers, maybe I should get to writing it.

I gotta live my dreams and there is so much other stuff I want to do besides be a financial planner - like being a writer as well.

2-1B
01-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Was the ostrich ever successful ?

Tycho
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't know. I never followed up on that one.

But I've nearly completed what's at present a 417 page novel - it will be about 450 pp when it's done I think.

Tycho
11-26-2010, 12:19 PM
I needed to find this thread.

First I'll Scream In Digital (this was actually the title of a great Queensryche song - but I actually need to do this now):

WhhhhhaaaaaagghhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuAAaAAAaaaaaaaaa aaaaagggghhhhHHHHHH!

OK. I think I feel much better now.

Next. My novel turned out to be 505 pages - in two time eras - the 1860's and 2010.

My editor first cut the book into 2 books - each for an era. 1860 and now 2016.

The 1860 novel is almost completely ready for publication finally, but I hate editing work and making the changes. There's almost no creativity in this part.

I need to scream again:

OK.

So now I logged on to both Facebook and here at SSG for a distraction. But I've found I have nothing at all to post.

That's why I'm posting this #!@%$~!

I just wanted to post SOMETHING.

Now I have done so.

!#@!~!$%~! $#@%$~@!~ #@#!! AND FURTHERMORE @#@#!@#$! $@#!@! %#$#!

And also:

#@#!$*)(&!!$ @#@@!!)&*#@!

Yes. I think the alcohol is helping. Wouldn't you say so?

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):crazed::):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

sith_killer_99
11-27-2010, 02:08 AM
T, sorry to hear you are having 2 books published.

:laugh: