PDA

View Full Version : Open Waters

Tycho
07-12-2004, 02:10 AM
The preview for this movie scared the crap out of me.

As a person that spends a lot of time in the ocean...I just can't see this film without someone first telling me how it ends.

It's based on a true story - so it's gotta be pretty real.

A couple on a cruise get left behind while scuba diving. They spend i don't know how long floating and waiting for a rescue.

There are sharks in this movie, as well as a giant jellyfish.

These things are part of the thrill and danger in surfing and jetskiing for me, but I fear them with a passion. I know and can dream of what it feels like to be underwater.

To me, this is the scariest film idea I've seen for a long time if only the preview can freak me out.

The worst thing is it is a true story!

The preview was attached to Fahrenheit 911 when I saw it.

Someone please see Open Waters and let me know how it ends.

Exhaust Port
07-12-2004, 09:04 AM
I don't know how the movie will end but it didn't end well for the orginal couple.

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200310/200310_mysteries_2.html

Tycho
07-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Maybe the movie's about them faking their death and surviving somehow?

I don't know if Hollywood would pass off a movie where they die (or even one of them does).

It could be BASED on a true story, but then fictionalized from there (like The Patriot).

I don't know if I want to see this. Very scary.

The only way this kind of "faking your death" plan could possibly be worth trying is if another boat had promised to pick the couple up.

What motive could they have to do this?

- credit card debt - get out of it and start over?
- they commited a crime that hasn't been discovered yet and they are trying to cover it?
- one killed the other one for some reason and the survivor escaped and by playing dead, they cover it up?
- they are on an uncharted desert island - and it was an accident (or not)?
-one planned to strand the other on an island and live primative?

This kind of thing would be so scary to pull off!

I wouldn't think it'd be worth it.

Someone will have to see this movie for me and tell me what happens.

Hellboy
07-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Here is a review of Open Water I found over at Bloody-Disgusting.com if you're still interested Tycho. Sounds pretty intense to me, I'll definitly be checking this one out. If you're not interested in spoilers you might want to I pass on the read though. :)

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/reviews.php?id=387

Tycho
07-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Thank you for the review. It was very detailed but still didn't answer my overwhelming concern about this movie: give me the spoilers but tell me if they both live? Both die? Which one (s) die and how? And what limbs they all have when they end up however they end up?

The full spoiler is what I'm still looking for please. Thanks Hellboy. Your link was informative in the right sort of direction.

Tonysmo
07-20-2004, 02:46 AM
damn, I had no idea this was out there - the reviews for it look awesome.

As for the real couple this happened to.. The Great Barrier Reef.. has HUGE great white sharks swimming right off the coast. no doubts they were lunch. :eek:

Rocketboy
07-20-2004, 11:09 AM
This movie looks so amazingly dull.

mrmiller
07-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Wow- The Blair Witch of the Sea huh?

What really peeves me is how it is "based on a true story", when no one has any Idea what the true story is. Like The Perfect Storm was based on a true story. All we know is that they went out to sea in the direction of the storm and never came back. What does that tell you about what all happend on the boat, or the possible circumstances that lead to them loosing communications to the shore? I say they all got drunk and fell overboard. There, that's my take on the "based on a true story" and it's just as crediable as what Wolfgang filmed. Then again, that same plot seems to work for Open Water as well. :crazed:

=MATT=

Hellboy
07-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Well I'd assume that at least one of them lives otherwise their story would have died with them. Personally I don't want to dig that deep because I'd like to experience the film and hopefully be surprised and or shocked by the outcome. If you really must know this before seeing the film Tycho I'm sure you could find it because there are actually quite a few reviews of this film floating around. :crazed:

Tycho
07-20-2004, 06:17 PM
I don't think I want to see the film period if even one of them dies!

I am very much involved with ocean sports and am very frightened by sharks!

Tycho
09-04-2004, 10:39 AM
OK, so has anyone seen this now? I want to know what happens in the end!

I just SOOOO do not feel comfortable going to see this movie because of my lifestyle in the ocean...

2-1B
02-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Tycho, have you watched it yet ? I'll tell you what happens:

*spoiler*

They both die.

The man dies first because he suffered a nasty leg bite and eventually passed overnight. He drifts away from the woman eventually his corpse is taken down and rolled into a meal by sharks.

The woman holds on to life for awhile but eventually gives up and lets herself go under water to drown, basically killing herself.

I liked this movie. I missed it in the theater so I just bought the DVD sight unseen and I liked it. Not an instant classic or anything but definitely worth watching. It's a short film, around 80 minutes, and I don't think it needed to be any longer.

What creeped me out was the isolation of it, the fear of being stranded like that. The sharks (for me) were not that menacing a part of the story. It's the other stuff that creeped me out.

By the way, the film also includes a TOTALLY gratuitous nude scene with the female lead. ;)

Tycho
02-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the review Caesar. I think I'll skip that movie even though I'll miss the totally gratuitous naked woman scene. I'd be tempted to watch the "floating out there parts" and it'd really freak me out, what with my ocean-sports interests.

That's one movie I'm pretty sure I'm afraid to see.

2-1B
02-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Oh come on T, take a chance !

There's some cool underwater footage, you might like that. Truly guerilla filmmaking from what I could tell. The man who did this film with his wife is a diver himself so according to the extra features he really gave them hell as he shot it. :D
Looks like they filmed it over a 2 year period, or so ?

The reviews I've heard of it are very diverse, I know people who loved it and others who hated it.

JON9000
02-18-2005, 03:39 PM
That movie is 80 odd minutes but it drags on forever. The footage of the sharks right next to them is pretty cool, and the overnight was tense enough, but overall it was boring.