PDA

View Full Version : Medstar 1: Battle Surgeons (Reviews only, No spoliers plz)

mastermatt24
07-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Hey people. I just got my copy a few days ago while on vacation in Nothern CA (Auburn). I bought it for $6.75 at a little book store. :D that made my day... Has anyone read it yet??? I want to read it but I just finished Star by Star and started Dark Journey. I have to finish Njo...

Bel-Cam Jos
07-14-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm halfway through it. While I have been in an "eh" Star Wars mode as far as it comes to recent Expanded Univ. stories, this one is depressing. It's M.AS.H. meets CNN News in Iraq. I have found little redeeming value in it so far. :(

Sidiously Darth
07-14-2004, 09:52 PM
War is usually not a happy occassion. I've started it and it's not an action packed story so far. This is more like a drama with some intrigue mixed in.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2004, 06:29 PM
I'm not certain, but this might possibly be the worst SW EU novel ever. (And I've read Truce of Bakura, Crystal Star, New Rebellion, SW Galaxies: Dantooine, etc.) When I read SW fiction, I want the space fantasy aspects that I love from the films. This is too "realistic" for my tastes. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 4, and I ususally don't give SW books less than the dreaded average of 5.

dr_evazan22
07-19-2004, 12:47 AM
I too think it was average, but I'll give it a 6. It is definitely better then SWG: Dant.

I like the more realisitic style. I liked the mystery also of who the spy is. It seems that some of the people who I thought was the spy were disproven. Wondering how the actions of Black Sun will affect the outcome.

I noticed, and liked, that more aspects of the entire SW universe are making their way into fiction. Example wuld be Teras Kasi. First its own video game, now used in SWG, and now making an apearance in the book.

And the cover--- IMO the image of Barris looks a heluva lot like the chic from Crossing Jordan / early Law and Order.

InsaneJediGirl
09-01-2004, 10:43 PM
I liked the book,then again I'm a huge fan of MASH.I cant wait for the second one,should hopefully prove to be just as good.

OC47150
09-08-2004, 02:23 PM
So which book would I enjoy more over a long weekend: Medstar, Shatterpoint or the latest Zahn book?

Deoxyribonucleic
09-08-2004, 02:28 PM
I liked the book,then again I'm a huge fan of MASH.I cant wait for the second one,should hopefully prove to be just as good.

The mention of MASH did it for me, I'll be getting this book soon...Star Wars and MASH all in one...HEAVEN! :D

Thanks IJG :)

mastermatt24
09-08-2004, 06:37 PM
So which book would I enjoy more over a long weekend: Medstar, Shatterpoint or the latest Zahn book?
Im around 130(pg) on Medstar and it has been really good so far.A tip if you are going to read this one: Have the guide to alien species next to you. It REALLY helps..;) As for Shatter Point I'll probably be reading it soon (After Med2, Rouge Planet, and the EPIII tie-in by Luceno). Stover is a very good author so I think it should be good.. I also want to read (later) The Cestus Deception. Barnes made it sound really good at comic con. As for Zahn.. I started Heir to the Empire when I was in 6th grade and didnt get to finish it because of an assigned book.. Dont know why I never finished it, and honestly, (call me crazy :crazed: ) I like some other authors' work a lot better than his, even though he was somewhat the "founding father" of SW Ficton. Oh well. Thats my 2. Have fun with whatever you choose to read. :)

OC47150
09-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the tip.

Right now, I'm re-reading the Daley Han Solo Adventures. Haven't read these since junior high, and I'm thoroughly enjoying them. Daley's style isn't as techno-driven as some of the more modern writers.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2004, 12:08 PM
I recently finished the sequel in this duology, and it was better than the first book. I actually cared more for the characters this time than in Battle Surgeons. Overall, the series gets yet another dreaded "eh" rating from me.

OC47150
11-24-2004, 12:19 PM
That's how I'd rate Shatterpoint. 'Eh.' Could've been better, and I've read worst.

I have Republic Commando but might wait until Christmas vacation to read that one.

mastermatt24
11-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Wow.. Im really behind on book reviews. I liked the ending for Jedi Healer and I thought the two pretty good books. What I like about the CW books is that there is a lot of varitey. I also finished Hard Contact, which I thought was really good and interesting, and now I want to play the game... go figure. Im also almost done with Jedi Trial; its been slightly above average but just barley above eh. It could use some editing out of some of the recon trooper stuff... Im on like 220 (out of 3oo odd pgs.)and they are just now starting to get ready for the big attack. If it doesnt end well im gonna be disapointed because I got excited about the authors- they were both in Vietnam and had wrote war stuff- so I really hope they end it well..
And after that I have to read Cestus Decpetion, Shatterpoint, and finally what I set out to do: Rouge Planet (Before I got sidetracted with CW stuff :neutral: ) and THEN... Back to the NJO! oh.. and maybe the Yoda book in December. :crazed:

Adam
11-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Rogue Planet is not worth the price of admission. I generally re-read all my books once a year, and I couldn't even get through this one half way on the second go-round.

mastermatt24
11-25-2004, 01:32 AM
Rogue Planet is not worth the price of admission.

Im only reading it for background on zonoma sekot. Is it really that bad??

Adam
11-25-2004, 08:26 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was bad, it is just rather boring at times.

InsaneJediGirl
12-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Rouge Planet was in the "ok" catagory for me.

I just recieved MedStar II yesterday in the mail,and hope to finish it up in the next couple of days.The beginning really threw me off for a second,having not read MedStar I or browsed over it for a minute.

mastermatt24
12-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Why didnt you read the first one??? :confused:

InsaneJediGirl
12-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Matt,I read the first Battle Surgeons.I meant to say I hadnt read it for so long,I kind of forgot the plot for a second.I was thinking "Wait...isnt this Approaching Storm?" then it hit me.I had a blank moment is all ;):D

mastermatt24
12-06-2004, 06:40 PM
OHhhhhh. Ok I gotcha. :)

dr_evazan22
12-06-2004, 07:15 PM
I finished book 2 right before I read Jedi Trial. It was OK, both books (MedStar 1 + 2) could probably have been shortened into 1.

I was a little disappointed to that Barriss didn't see her desire to take the bota as the Dark side sooner. I kind of liked her realization that you become a Knight when you are ready, that it's not something that has to be bestowed upon you. I contrasted her experience with Ani's (from Jedi Trial and from his overall desire for recognition in the CW and AOTC). Was disappointed in her lack of self belief in her abilities, IMO if she was raised since a baby using the Force then she shouldn't have had self doubts.

mastermatt24
12-06-2004, 10:14 PM
It was OK, both books (MedStar 1 + 2) could probably have been shortened into 1.

That wouldve made a cool little hard back.. What I think would be really neat would be to be when after Luceno's book comes out to put all of the written CW Fiction in too one or two big books that would be in order with the time line, and maybe one huge graphic novel with all of the CW comics. I know it would be expensive but I think it would be great if they did something like that. So far I have been happy that they decided to do the Clone Wars through the novels and comics, yea of course it wouldve been great on the big screen, but this way it can be expanded a lot more than it would have been possible in a 2hr film. I got the new Obession and its really good.. but of course right when it gets really good they cut it off untill the next one. :mad: Its nice to see some more development with Ani and Padme. I would really recommend Obession if you can find it. By the way.. Has anyone read Hard Contact?

InsaneJediGirl
12-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Pretty good books,I liked how MedStar II went deeper into personalities.I am with dr_evazan22,Barriss should have had a better connection to the Force and realized her problem way beforehand.They seemed to cram everything "exciting" at the end of a few chapters.Would have been better if she had discovered it early on and cured herself so it left room to expand on the other action with Column and Lens,Jos/Tolk situation,etc

El Chuxter
12-16-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm way behind, but finally started Battle Surgeons and am a few chapters in. So far, it's pretty good, though I groaned loudly at the mention of "Epoh Trebor." I guess he's on a "OSU" tour with "Ybsorc Gnib"? :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I'm way behind, but finally started Battle Surgeons and am a few chapters in. So far, it's pretty good, though I groaned loudly at the mention of "Epoh Trebor." I guess he's on a "OSU" tour with "Ybsorc Gnib"? :rolleyes: Hsog ym h-o!
I cannot believe I missed that one. And the OSU could be correct:
- OuterRim Seasonal Universe
- Our Servicebeings are Useful
- Outer Space Utility

El Chuxter
01-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Okay, I think these were the two best SW books I've read in a long time. A long time.

A long time as in "since the Hand of Thrawn Duology."

Funny thing is, in the previous books by Reaves and Perry, I thought they handled the main characters well, but their supporting cast was pretty dull and lifeless. But working together on a book with no real involvement by major characters (unless Bariss' total of twelve seconds of screen time counts her as "major" in your book), they turned out a classic.

mastermatt24
01-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Okay, I think these were the two best SW books I've read in a long time. A long time.

I take it because you are just finished reading these you havent read Dark Rendevous yet have you? It was VERY good.. so I beg to differ. Have you read the New Jedi Order?? (Got sidetracked to read Rouge Planet, but then MS1 came out and then I read that) Anyways.. call we werid but my heart really sank at the fall of courscant. :cry: (I NEVER thought they (vong) would actualy get that far) I finished up to Rebel Stand and traitor is next. How could you not like NJO?? After NJO I think I'm gonna read the X-Wing series.. and Ive heard great things about that series as well. So I dont know if I would say that MS1 & 2 were the best in a long time, good maybe, but not best. Feel free to argue! :D

El Chuxter
01-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I am behind, so I've not gotten to DR yet. I started Cestus Deception last night and am so far a little disappointed that Kit isn't being more suave and disabling people with his grin. Must've had a New Year's resolution to use less of his debonaire tactics. :D

I thought the NJO was mostly well written (particularly Vector Prime and Star by Star), but they didn't feel all that SW to me. Something about the Cobra-LA team showing up and killing everything and blowing up every planet kinda ruined it for me.

And the X-Wing series is well worth it, but it predates the Hand of Thrawn by a few years.

OC47150
01-05-2005, 01:29 PM

A long time as in "since the Hand of Thrawn Duology."

Funny thing is, in the previous books by Reaves and Perry, I thought they handled the main characters well, but their supporting cast was pretty dull and lifeless. But working together on a book with no real involvement by major characters (unless Bariss' total of twelve seconds of screen time counts her as "major" in your book), they turned out a classic.

A friend at work has recommended the Medstar books, so I will have to pick them up.

Republic Commando is good. I read that on Christmas vacation.

When you get done with Cestus Deception, El Chuxter, please tell if it's worth picking up in hardback.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-05-2005, 10:23 PM
A friend at work has recommended the Medstar books, so I will have to pick them up.

When you get done with Cestus Deception, El Chuxter, please tell if it's worth picking up in hardback.
The MS's were okay (the first was less so), I'm almost done with RC (pretty good so far), but CD was yet another okay one. The best book this year (excuse me, last year, sorry) was definitely DR.

BTW, all the acronyms are AOK IMHO. :p

InsaneJediGirl
01-05-2005, 10:29 PM
NJO for me was hit and miss.Some books were awesome then some were not even "Star Wars" feeling or very good writing.Star By Star was one of the best,Balance Point was an okay one.I havent finished reading all but will someday.

mastermatt24
01-06-2005, 01:48 AM
FINALLY IM NOT ALONE ANY MORE!! :crazed:

I read Hard Contact when it came out and I did Cestus of the Break. I liked the book, Steve Barnes is a great writer (I met him and got him to sign my copy :D ) and although pretty good descriptions the thing I didnt like were some of the aliens. Sometimes I dont like it when an author goes around and starts making up aliens (My guide to aliens sure got a work out with the medstars!) Its ok for the Cestians I guess but once you get so many it gets hard for me to imagine them. (For the cestians, I dont know why, but from the part with Trillot (?) was smoking I kept seeing them as the catiplillar from alice in wonderland..) I really need some pics of X'ting and a stupid Vippit.. I wish I wouldve read this before Comic con because I wouldve asked him if he could draw me a X'ting, oh yea, and a JK Droid.
Overall I would say this was a lot better than Jedi Trial ( :rolleyes: )!!
Try ebay for some good prices:
http://search.ebay.com/star-wars-cestus-deception
Theres a signed one and a $5 one too. Hope it helps!

OC47150
01-06-2005, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=mastermatt24]FINALLY IM NOT ALONE ANY MORE!! :crazed:

IMO, what worked for RC was the fact the writer had experience in writing on military topics/issues, and she used that to her advantage.

The only weak point, again IMO, was the female Jedi. Just a little too wishy-washy for me. Will she or won't she become a full-fledged Jedi? Is she up for the task?

I'd like to see the author write another RC novel using the same characters.

I may have to pick up BS for my C3 reading.

El Chuxter
01-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Eh, only a few chapters into Cestus Deception (as opposed to Jedi Healer, which I literally couldn't put down once I started) and so far I'm not too impressed. I keep having to re-read paragraphs to figure out what's going on.

OC47150
01-06-2005, 01:23 PM
That's not a good sign.

We have a Waldenbooks that's closing; everything right now is 15 percent off. I've debated about buying CD but now I might just wait until it's out in paperback.

mastermatt24
01-06-2005, 06:28 PM
I may have to pick up BS for my C3 reading.
LoL!! I almost fell off my chair laughing becuase I read that way too fast! :crazed: Whats your C3 reading? As for Cestus it is kinda slow in the begining..

OC47150
01-07-2005, 07:54 AM
With all the abbreviations flying, I didn't realize what I wrote until you pointed it out!

I may be reading one of the Battle Surgeon books at C3.

OC47150
12-27-2005, 04:44 PM
Finally read this book while on Christmas vacation. I enjoyed it. It's like SW meets MASH.

Will pick up the second one in the next few weeks.