PDA

View Full Version : Which/how many comics do you read?

RooJay
07-13-2004, 12:15 AM
Just wondering what everyone else is into. I know there's already a thread about which comics everyone buys week by week, but that olne seems quite long and I'd really just like to know who's buying what on a regular basis. So let's have it. While we're at it, which are your favorite books? Favorite artists? Favorite writers?

I'm currently buying the following titles regularly:

Superman
Action Comics
Adventures of Superman
Superman/Batman (one of my faves)
JLA (I wish they'd finalize a new regular creative team to hopefully put this one back on my list of favorites)
Justice League: Another Nail
JSA (a perennial favorite of mine - I'll read anything Johns writes!)
DC: New Frontier (shaping up to be a true classic! I can't stand the wait between issues)
Batman
Nightwing
Robin
Birds of Prey (I'd lost interest for a while when Dixon left, but Simone has renewed my love)
Wonder Woman
Plastic Man
Hawkman (wasn't sure about Palmiotti taking over, especially after my boy Johns left, but I think my fears where without merit - still another favorite!)
Green Arrow
Teen Titans (a worthy successor to the Wolfman/Perez run - this ranks second only to JSA on my list)
the Outsiders (another favorite - can't wait to read it each month)
Aquaman
Firestorm
the Flash
Identity Crisis (the first issue was the best comic I've read in quite a while)
Richard Dragon
Teen Titans, Go!
Fables
Ex Machina
Planetary (when new issues actually come out, this one always jumpos back up to the top of my list)
Arrowsmith (the first volume just ended, I'm hoping the second comes quickly - what a great story, and the art can scarcely be beat!)
Astro City (always good, just much less frequent lately)
Supreme Power (few books out now tend to be as interesting and smartly written as this one)
Astonishing X-Men
Daredevil: Father
Thor: Son of Asgard
Conan
Star Wars Tales
Masters of the Universe (it's all I've got left... :( )
GIJoe Reloaded
Remains
Abadazad
Freaks of the Heartland
Ghostbusters

Beast
07-13-2004, 12:31 AM
Good god dude, that's a crapload of comics.... :eek:

I stick mostly with the X-Comics myself. Here's what I currently get, though next month there's a couple new ongoings and limited series starting up. :)

Astonishing X-Men
Excalibur
Exiles
New X-Men: Academy X
Powerless
Ultimate Spider-Man (Hardcovers)
Ultimate X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
X-Men

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
07-13-2004, 12:54 AM
What can I say? My comic retailer loves me! Speaking of - if anyone ever happens to be visiting near here, I recommend stopping by Waterfront Comics in Suisun. John's a good guy, and runs a great store! ;)

mastermatt24
07-13-2004, 10:34 PM
That must be one heck of a store... :crazed: (he must like you because you spend so much there ;) ) Anyways im only a SW comic book fan. I get Republic, Empire and SOMETIMES Tales. Lately tales has been really bad so I just flip through it and if I want it I buy it.

Rocketboy
07-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Star Wars Tales
Star Wars Republic
Star Wars Empire
The Punisher
NYX
Marvel Knights Spider-Man
Astonishing X-Men

I'm considering dropping the Star Wars titles. They haven't been that great lately.
I will probably always buy The Punisher...well, as long as Ennis is writing.
I really like what I've been reading in NYX...whenever it happens to come out.
I'm "test driving" Spidey and X-Men. If they don't stay self contained (for the most part) - I'm out.

jjreason
07-14-2004, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty much a Marvel fan myself. My favorite creators include Stan Lee, John Romita Sr., Warren Ellis, John Cassaday, Frank Miller, Mark Waid, Travis Charest, Alex Ross, Mike Deodato Jr., John Romita Jr., Frank Quitely, Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman...... I don't think there's an end to this list anywhere. Those came to mind pretty quickly and are in no particular order. Because of the preclusive cost of Star Wars toys lately, I've had to slash my monthly pull-list, and am down to the following books:

Amazing Spider-Man
Hulk
X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Astonishing X-Men
Daredevil
Fantastic Four

Planetary
Astro City

But would read much more if I had the means. I've been trying to pick up things like Secret War, Thanos, Global Frequency and the GIJoe books, but I'm going to have to wait to catch up down the road.

kool-aid killer
07-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Im an infrequent buyer of comic books but when i do buy its usually a Transformers title. Im holding off on completing my More Than Meets the Eye series (of toys biographys) because ive heard that two "books" are coming out containing four of the eight issues each later this year. Other than that i try to avoid comics like the plague. I dont need another hobby burning up my spare cash. But if i had the means i would collect a couple of Xmen titles (my favorite group of Marvel heroes) and Star Wars (though i dislike stories not matching up with others in the EU universe, dont know whether thats a problem any longer but is a main reason why i avoid them). If Dreamwave releases a Beast Wars series i will definitely get it though.

RooJay
07-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Wow, have any of you guys tried any DC books lately? I've always been a dyed-in-the-wool DC guy, but there have been times when I was reading just as many Marvel books - in the past, I've been a regular reader of Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Avengers, Namor, New Warriors, Punisher, Dr. Strange, Fantastic Four, Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-Men, The Ultimates, She-Hulk, Marvel Knights, Daredevil, X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, New X-Men, X-Statix, X-Force, Alpha Flight, Nova, Spider-Man/Black Cat, Captain America, Truth and many others over the years. Marvel just never managed to grab me like DC did. I was reading a lot of those Marvel books until just recently, but I honestly think DCs books are far better and much more entertaining. I recommend picking up any of the books on my list if anyone's interested in some great new stories.

Beast
07-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Nope, RooJay. Never been a reader or a fan of DC Comics. I own like 8 of them, which I bought for research materials. Angel and the Ape vol. 2 #1-#4 and Angel and the Ape vol. 3 #1-#4. As Stan Lee would say, "Make Mine Marvel!" :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dr Zoltar
07-15-2004, 06:45 PM
I'm with you Roojay. I read almost all DC with the exception of The Punisher. And a few Image and independent titles. Marvel's story lines have seemed too "light" for me as well as the continuity problems between titles.

dr_evazan22
07-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I get just about everything Spider-Man and SW, and NYX when it comes out. A few others here and there, but nothing on a regular basis.

I'm a Marvel guy tho. I think the characters are more well developed. Something I don't like about DC is most of it is not set in a real place, like NYC. I think a lot of their characters are 2 dimensional. Batman has his back broken, or Metropolis gets destroyed, then a week later its back to normal. I found this the worst in Superman. Each week the story would pick up where last week left off, even tho it was a different title. Why not just have 1 title published weekly? I got burned out on the X books from Marvel for similar reasons. Every 3 months with big events that did nothing to the characters.

That said, when Supes was revamped back in '84 or so, wiht John Byrne, I thought it was excellent. The storyline where Supes killed the escapees from the phantom zone was the hi point. IMO.

Rooj - What do you do with all your comics? How many do you have? I had about 30 - 32 long boxes of comics. Actually, I think more. I lost 10 in a hurricane 5 years ago. I recently sold 19 boxes to a friend just to get rid of them, but kept all my Spidey and SW, which is 6 boxes.

Vortex
07-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Well can't compete with some of the lists but here's my reserves at my comic shop.

All the various Star War titles
GI Joe - Frontline, Master and Apprentice, and the plain old GI Joe Title
Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider Legends
Transformers - I'm about to drop this line since its too slow.
Danger Girls
TMNT - Both story lines
Streetfigher
Mega Man

Here's the stuff I'd drop since this year and last either due to slow stories, impact on the wallet or the line died.
Lady Death
Animate Witchblade
Dragon's Lair
Aphrodite IX
Thundercats
I'm sure there's some others but I can't remember. But I'm trying to scale back.

jjreason
07-17-2004, 02:20 AM
Some interesting posts. What DO you do with comics? I've got 20 long boxes, Jodi (my wife) built me a set of long tables on which I can put Star Wars stuff to display, amid other items I'd like to have out (heroclix, the big Optimus Prime, more comics, etc). Underneath each one I can fit 8 long boxes, 4 on the floor and 4 on top. Once I run out of space there I can start stacking the boxes on top, I guess.

With respect to storing each book, I'm a polybag and board type. Not into expensive Mylars/Mylites. I don't go looking for CGC books either, but am considering sending in some of my expensive books for encapsulation just to keep them as safe as I can.

The only DC book I've been keeping up with is BatMan, I've been on and off with the Bat since Frank Miller did "Year One" back in the 80's. Though I love Marvel, BatMan is right up there with Spidey as my very favorite hero. His cadre of villains rivals Spidey's as the most interesting in comicdom (and may supercede it in many people's minds). I picked up Kevin Smith's Green Arrow issues, and would concur about Geof Johns writing being excellent - his Red Storm run on Avengers was one of the best arcs on that book since the relaunch. I've been reading that Superman and Flash have been top notch, but can't really afford (and honestly don't have enough interest) to start picking up any more monthly titles. I'm considering Identity Crisis though, and will likely pick them up if they're still in stock.

RooJay
07-22-2004, 04:30 PM
I've been a comic reader since I was about four, and I've been a collector since I was seven. It's been quite a long time since I bothered to count them, but I estimate that I have somwhere around 7000 comics. The bulk of my collection is kept bagged and boarded in stacked short boxes (the short ones take up less floor space), but I gave up the notion of collecting for investment long ago and now I keep most of the books I buy in either plastic storage tubs or just stacked in a corner. Now I'm into comics for the sheer enjoyment. I don't worry to much about damaging them (I always take good care of all my stuff anyway so they're all still in excellent shape) as long as they stay in readable condition.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2004, 07:12 PM
I don't know if I'm allowed to reply to this thread, because I no longer collect comics, unless you count SW-related ones (read: mainly only trade paperbacks and the SW Free Comic Day ones :p ). However, I first began collecting comics in the late '70s when my family moved from Ohio to California and the long plane trips needed something to hold my 3-year old attention in check. Those were Batman, Superman, Super Friends, Spiderman, Warner Bros. cartoons, and Popeye, I believe.

Then, around the time of the small press explosion of the mid '80s, I began a 5-year addiction that netted me about 2000 books over that span. I nabbed a lot of "rare #1s" as did many of us, but my favorite series were Spiderman (Web of..., Amazing..., and occasionally Spectacular/Peter Parker...), Silver Surfer, Punisher, Capt. America, Hulk, Batman, Robotech. I was mostly a Marvel-ite, and also got sucked into the "limited series" and crossover tricks, but not the multiple covers.

That's all. :bored: