PDA

View Full Version : Comic Con Hasbro Q&A

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Is anybody going to the SDCC this year? Hasbro said they will have a Q&A session, and it seems like we haven't had answers to questions on here for a long time.

So, if anybody is going, could you ask them some of these questions in this thread? Please, post your own questions too.

*Will there be any more OTC basic figures outside the 38 currently announced?

*Will there be any more OTC vintage figures outside the 12 currently announced?

*What is the starwarsshop.com exclusive figure?

*What other silver figures will be made in the future?

*When will the preview figures for Episode III be announced/released?

*When will we get more TPM and AOTC basic figures?

*Will there be any deluxe/Ultra OTC figures?

*Will there be a Clone Wars animated wave 3? Maybe next year for the third season?

*Will the Episode III figures have action features again, like buttons on the figures?

*What will the OTC Y-wing look like?

*Any chance for more re-released vehicles (AT-AT, snowspeeder, AT-ST, etc.)?

*Any chance for new or re-released playsets from either vintage or modern lines?

*What other screen scenes are planned?

*What other TRU four-packs are planned?

*When will the vintage line be completely re-done into modern figures?

*How long will the OTC last?

*Will original trilogy and TPM and AOTC figures be on OTC cards next year, or EIII cards?

*When will we see the EIII card?

*What sorts of exclusives will there be for the Hyperspace Fan Club?

*Will there be any more of those horrible Jedi Force figures?

And finally, the big questions . . .

*WHEN WILL EPHANT MON AND THE SUPER POSEABLE CLONE TROOPER BE RE-RELEASED????????

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-17-2004, 06:11 PM
So really, who's going?

Also, the question about the starwarsshop.com figure has already been answered, so disregard that one.

SirSteve
07-17-2004, 07:45 PM
I am. :)

JediTricks will be rounding up some questions for all the manufactures. Look for a thread(s) soon for question requests.

This is a good start though...

Kidhuman
07-17-2004, 09:26 PM
I just want to know if they are planning to make any PT figures like the VOTC stuff.

Turbowars
07-18-2004, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I'll be there.

ROTJLuke
07-24-2004, 01:18 PM
wish I would have been...

Turbowars
07-25-2004, 11:13 AM
I asked about the end cap to the Cantina sets and they pretty much said no. I also asked if they will at least put one new Alien in the packs and they also pretty much said NO. He did say if they sell well, they will think about both issues. I then said, well if you put new sculpts in the 3 packs, then they will sell. At that point he started to get mad and didn't want to answer anymore questions.

Dr Zoltar
07-25-2004, 02:19 PM
I asked about the end cap to the Cantina sets and they pretty much said no. I also asked if they will at least put one new Alien in the packs and they also pretty much said NO. He did say if they sell well, they will think about both issues. I then said, well if you put new sculpts in the 3 packs, then they will sell. At that point he started to get mad and didn't want to answer anymore questions.
You go Turbo! Nice of you to call Hasbro on their logic.

"We're going to repack these figs in a cinema scene. Most of you collectors have these already. But if they sell well, we might give you new figures."

What's next, a promotion where if you buy 5 cantina Han Solos and mail in the POP you'll get a new figure?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-25-2004, 02:25 PM
That's hilarious! Even though that sucks about the endcap. What other questions do you remember?

Turbowars
07-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Oh, I asked why didn't they do a better job on VOTC 3PO. I told him he should have many more points of articulation and that it doesn't justify a $10 price tag. He said if they were to do a 3PO with bendable knees, it wouldn't be vacuum formed. #1 Vac forming is too expensive, #2 the metal would chip off at the knee joint. I think basically he was saying that the Vac form makes up for the poor articulation. He did say they wanted to do it but the costs overruled.

I also said that they were doing a great job on the OTC line, but there should be more new sculpts in the line. He said that they needed to release the old stuff agian to help the line survive in order to make new figures in the future.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Oh, so basic Hasbro crap. :rolleyes: So maybe eventually we can get a SA C-3PO, but in the style of the escape pod figure.

Turbowars
07-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Right, the Pod 3PO sounds like the only way.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Anyone ask them specifically about WHY they didn't at least redo Bib Fortuna??

I do understand to some degree why they do repacks/rehashes, but why did they rehash one of the worst sculpted figures EVER? :rolleyes: :p

Kidhuman
07-25-2004, 10:12 PM
SO basically, they said, we are broke, deal with it if you want good EP3 figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-26-2004, 12:51 PM
SO basically, they said, we are broke, deal with it if you want good EP3 figures.
Haha, that's hilarious! :D:D:D

Sadly, it's true.

Kidhuman
07-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah it is kind of sad. Give us good cards with older figures, but I am a sucka for buying most of them. 8 new figs out of 38 isnt much.:cry:

Tycho
07-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Is anybody going to the SDCC this year? Hasbro said they will have a Q&A session, and it seems like we haven't had answers to questions on here for a long time.

OK, I went to San Diego Comic Con and have some of the answers to your questions.

So, if anybody is going, could you ask them some of these questions in this thread? Please, post your own questions too.

OK.

Q: "Hasbro: do you sniff your Mouse Droid Figures?"

A: "Is this guy for real? Security!!!"

*Will there be any more OTC basic figures outside the 38 currently announced?

Yes:

the exclusive Holo Emperor from ESB available at ShopStarWars.com.

Dannik Jerriko, Cantina Alien
Myo, Cantina Alien
Feltipern Trevag, Cantina Alien

5 more will be done on black cards in this style, but not say OTC:

Rabe Handmaiden
Queen Amidala Theed Ceremony
Jedi Pablo Jill
Sly Moore, Palpatine's aide
Senator Yarua, Wookiee

Actually, the prequel characters will be released first in Coruscant and Naboo waves, followed by the Cantina Wave.

*Will there be any more OTC vintage figures outside the 12 currently announced?

No.

*What is the starwarsshop.com exclusive figure?

Holographic Emperor Palpatine from The Empire Strikes Back. It's a blue recasting of the POTF2 figure on an OTC card. Kind of cool actually.

*What other silver figures will be made in the future?

Just the ones you yourself spraypaint. Silver figures are over.

*When will the preview figures for Episode III be announced/released?

I don't know. Presumably March or April 2004, after the Cantina Wave of OTC hits. There will be 4 that I heard of, probably not through official channels yet:

Wookiee Warrior
General Grevious
helpful alien seen now in Star Wars Insider (character, not the figure)
astromech droid (another color)

*When will we get more TPM and AOTC basic figures?

Possibly as soon as November or December when "January's" Coruscant and Naboo waves listed above ship.

*Will there be any deluxe/Ultra OTC figures?

I don't no. They didn't reveal any plans for such, but I didn't ask them either.

*Will there be a Clone Wars animated wave 3? Maybe next year for the third season?

Yes.

ARC Trooper
Anakin battle-thrashed from his fight with Ventress
General Grevious - the first figure of him ever will be his animated one

*Will the Episode III figures have action features again, like buttons on the figures?

Yes. At least General Grevious is confirmed to have a "Slashing action" to strike with a lightsaber. We were told a handful of the characters would have action features. I'd bet on main character Jedi like Anakin and Obi-Wan, probably Mace, maybe Yoda, and likely Darth Vader.

*What will the OTC Y-wing look like?

A Y-wing.

It will also have red paint effects versus the yellow that has been seen before.

*Any chance for more re-released vehicles (AT-AT, snowspeeder, AT-ST, etc.)?

There are no plans for these for 2004 that I heard.

*Any chance for new or re-released playsets from either vintage or modern lines?

No. They'd love to do the Death Star as fans themselves, but it's not on the plans, so I wouldn't count on it.

*What other screen scenes are planned?

None other than the Jedi Council sets that complete the circle that you've seen already:

Anakin, Adi Gallia, SaeSee Tiin
Qui-Gon, Yoda, Ki-Adi Mundi
Agen Kolar, Stass Allie, Shaak Ti

*What other TRU four-packs are planned?

Barbie, Ken, Amy, and Nicholas. Oh, did you mean Star Wars?

OK.

Kaadu, Captain Tarpals (seems possibly retooled a little to ride the Kaadu) Battledroid, Gungan Soldier, Naboo Royal Guard (with removeable helmet)

Speederbike, bikerscout, Wicket, Logray, Han Solo Endor gear

You've seen these before...

*When will the vintage line be completely re-done into modern figures?

They don't know. They'd like to see that happen too. Blue Snaggletoothe and RA-7 (silver Death Star Droid) were steps in that direction. Also Coud Car Pilot, General Madine, and Bespin Leia.

Left are:

Black Bespin Guard
Slim Aloo (Imperial Dignitary)
Warok
Romba
Chief Chirpa
Lumat
Paploo (depending upon if you count the pack-in)
Hoth Rebel Soldier
Human B-wing pilot
Klaatu

*How long will the OTC last?

Until April 2005, or until the Preview Wave ships. So perhaps General Grevious' first figure will be on a black card and different from his Slashing Action E3 cardback.

*Will original trilogy and TPM and AOTC figures be on OTC cards next year, or EIII cards?

OTC cards

*When will we see the EIII card?

You should have seen it on the mainpage by now. SW.com has it updated with the Revenge of the Sith logo.

*What sorts of exclusives will there be for the Hyperspace Fan Club?

Emperor Palpatine Hologram to start it off with.

*Will there be any more of those horrible Jedi Force figures?

Were those the 6 or 7" ones like Obi-Wan, Maul, and the Destroyer Droid?

I don't know the answer to this question and I never heard it asked.

And finally, the big questions . . .

*WHEN WILL EPHANT MON AND THE SUPER POSEABLE CLONE TROOPER BE RE-RELEASED????????

Ephant Mon will not be released again on a regular card. He could possibly reappear as an Ultra Figure or in a scene pack or 4-pack, something of that nature. He was too heavy and big to ship for $4.99 and his designer recommended doing him in an ultra wave, but was told to do it for the Saga line. They paid the price and were never happy about it. But Ephant Mon remains today the best figure Hasbro ever made (in my opinion anyway).

As to Clone Troopers, Hasbro said that next year there will be more Clones than we can deal with.

I doubt they mean Super Articulated Clone Troopers.

My guess is that they mean the StormCloners - the halfway CloneTrooper, halfway Stormtroopers, seen in Episode 3. They have specialties like Jungle Clone, Sandtrooper Clone, AquaTrooper Clone (I'd hope but couldn't confirm), forest Scout trooper Clone, etc. etc. Don't cry about spoilers, they've been doing specialty troopers ever since Sandtroopers in Episode 4.

So I guess we'll get it like this:

Jungle Trooper Clone Capt.
Jungle Trooper Clone Cmdr.
Jungle Trooper Clone Sgt.
Jungle trooper Clone Lt.
Jungle Trooper

Sand Trooper Clone Cmdr.
Sand Trooper Clone Capt.
Sand Trooper Clone Lt.
Sand trooper Clone sgt.
Sand Trooper Clone

Repeat with forest trooper x 5, snow trooper x 5, regular trooper x 5, riot trooper x 5 - I'm already up to 30 variations for troopers predicted here.

The good news is that we can have ranked armies and set up a chain of command for our troops.

The bad news is that Hasbro will be having variation hunters buying Clones out of their arse.

The objective news is that Hasbro will make this mold go very far, so maybe they'll super-articulate it because they will certainly get their money's worth on the tooling.

I just want to know if they are planning to make any PT figures like the VOTC stuff.

No. There are no plans for that. It would be cool for especially some of Amidala's elaborate outfits though - I could tell you that.

The cantina sets are as follows:

Bartender - possibly a good choice as they won't release him on a card again, and newbies get him this way.

Dr. Evazan - improved with greater articulation, in case anyone cared, but newbies have no other way to get him as well.

Kitik Keed Kak - the bait piece to make those of us who hate the figure selections for this set buy it anyway....

Obi-Wan Kenobi Flashback - probably being replaced, but by another Obi-Wan, as Obi-Wan's hood was down in the movie. But it's annoying, as there are 2 other versions of Old Ben in the OTC collection, plus the VOTC, all making his character available to newbies...

Ponda Baba - again, you got me why??? Maybe they'll cancel this inclusion and offer him up another way. But Greedo is being re-released on a cardback, and Ponda is the other most-important Cantina Alien, so I suppose they want to offer him to the newbies.

Blue Zutton - the bait piece to make vintage redo fans happy with this really extreme attention being paid to recopy all the vintage figures and update them for the modern line. Note to newbies, you can still get red Zutton's figure on a POTJ card at many Toys R Us. But Blue Snaggletoothe actually does get done.

I asked about end pieces, and they said they'd like to do it, but have to worry about tooling expenses for the curved sections.

To cut costs, they can re-release more old figures for newbies. These could have been in the Blue Snaggletoothe set though (I pointed out). They are:

Momaw Nadon
Figrin'Dan (cantina band member)
Lak Sivrak
Nabrum Leids
Takeel
Labrina
Muftak
Kabe
Ketwol
Duro
Bo Shek
Djas Puhr

Fortunately, Dannik, Feltipern, and Myo will be carded and we'll be able to buy them in quantities to our liking, without a lot of junk or extra figures we don't want. I'd rather have Blue Snaggletoothe be the chase piece for a set with another Obi-Wan and Ponda, than one of them.

What's next, a promotion where if you buy 5 cantina Han Solos and mail in the POP you'll get a new figure?

Yes. It's the He-Man Tatooine Luke.

He said that they needed to release the old stuff agian to help the line survive in order to make new figures in the future.

That's true. I can tell you that collectors around here that I could name, have quit collecting when things got hard to find, or they sold their prequel collections and decided to just do classic, all kinds of stuff like that. The result is that Hasbro has to continue to attract new people to the hobbie, and they'll need these 22 figures no matter what:

Han
Luke
Leia
Chewie
R2
C-3PO
Stormtrooper (of various specialties like Snow, Desert, Forest Scout, etc)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (old, young, padawan, master)
Darth Vader (as Anakin, padawan, Jedi, etc.)
Qui-Gon
Padme (as Queen, Senator, young girl, etc.)
Darth Maul
Count Dooku
Jango Fett
Clone Trooper
Yoda
Mace
Lando
Boba Fett
Palpatine (as Emperor, Senator, Chancellor)
Battle Droid
JarJar

Without the characters listed above, a kid could not "play Star Wars" and a new adult collector would lose interest (if he didn't have these) and a new diorama builder could not complete any scene.

Anyone ask them specifically about WHY they didn't at least redo Bib Fortuna??

They didn't feel they could improve upon him was one answer.

Lack of time to get out an OTC was another.

These came from 2 different reps.

I guess they really didn't know that a significant number of you don't like the existing Bib figure.

I do understand to some degree why they do repacks/rehashes, but why did they rehash one of the worst sculpted figures EVER?

They didn't. They couldn't find the mold to R5D4 or the lightsaber launching R2D2. But they know how bad we want those re-released, so in the commemorative 4-pack, we'll get those with Hercules Luke and Monkey-Faced Leia.

No they said they are investing their greater resources to giving us action features in our Episode 3 figures :D

Small favors to be thankful for, eh? ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks so much Tycho! You're awesome! :D

Kidhuman
07-28-2004, 10:39 PM
No they said they are investing their greater resources to giving us action features in our Episode 3 figures :D

They refuse to make good figures for action features? GAWD!!!!!! Didnt they learn their lesson with the last bunch?

Thanks for asking Tycho

B'Omarr Monkey
07-29-2004, 01:09 AM
Thanks for all the info, Tycho. I'm especially excited to hear about the 4-pack including He-Man Luke, Monkey-faced Leia, Lightsaber launching R2, and R5-D4 w/missile and leg cannons. That's one set that's sure to sell through. I don't think any of us could ever say no to more of these! :D