PDA

View Full Version : Can Tycho get me something from Comic Con?

Tycho
07-15-2004, 04:24 PM
In the past, I've barely traded with anyone outside of my group I shop with in San Diego and we got all we need.

Recently, I've done a few trades, albeit to also get things I needed, with some of you on the boards here.

Predictably, and also not without considering I was a staff member here at SSG for 8 years, I've gotten a small but good amount of private messages asking me to get things for people at Comic Con.

I haven't ruled out doing it just yet, (but as you can tell by my "overwhelmed post) I'm looking for an excuse to lean that way.

I've come up with a solution. This thread...

First, understand what I want and have to get out of Comic Con:

-time to hang out with SirSteve and get deep scoop on everything Star Wars, especially comics and books because I'm back on temporary reporter duty. Steve and I have done this as a team since 1999 and I've been working on this site since 1996. So far be for me to make keeping tradition difficult.
So I need to talk with representatives from Dark Horse, DK, Scholastic, Del Rey, Wizards of the Coast, etc. all one-on-one.

-time to hang out with my friends. I'm going there to enjoy myself and have friends and some of you guys from the boards that I'll be meeting for the very first time. Let's get bites to eat, sit down and chat a while, etc. San Diego's a fun place. I like to leave CC and go for a walk and a drink sometimes when I can. Standing in lines is not why I go to these things.

- Panel discussions. I live for these (well, while I'm at a con). I buy almost everything retail, so I spend the least amount of time in a dealers' room of probably ANYBODY on these boards. It's all overwhelming piles of junk in my opinion. I just try to see some new product that hasn't been released yet, but I'd never buy - way too overpriced. If there's an Eopie for $15 though, I'll snag it - though they'll all be $65 so why bother trying? Well panel discussions are what we're talking about and how I get a lot of the scoop and QandA stuff to report as news from Dark Horse etc. (Steve handles Hasbro and toy makers (Code3, Applause, Lego, Attikus, Kobyakootchi, Playskool, Master Replicas, Rubies, Gentle Giant, etc.) but heck if I'm going to miss it to stand in line for some collectible (especially if I've never seen or been into MOTU, KillBill, GI Joe, LOTR, DC SuperHeroes, and some of the other stuff people are asking me to find.) What do I have to talk about with anyone in those lines? I don't e-Bay ;) So I won't miss my panel discussions.

That being said:

Wed. Sneak Preview Nite: I'll go to meet up with Steve and some friends, Check out Hasbro's presentation, and that's almost all we ever get around to since it's a short visit (they give you 2 hours tops maybe). It's rare that exclusives come out on Preview night because it's not "comic con" yet.

Thurs. Except at 7pm when the dealers' room is closed, I may not go at all. I have a business to run and things to do, and there's no panels I think I want to attend. Then again, going in the evening might be cool because I'll have time to wander around without hurrying.

Friday - SW day - panel discussions all day long. I'm lucky to get an hour-2 hour window in which I can relax and eat my lunch. In fact, lunch time is usually what I look forward to the most on that schedule! Sheeesh! Later in the day there might be time to look for things, but...

Saturday - 12-2pm -SW on TV, EPisode 3 sneak preview scenes, Clone Wars Season 3, SW on DVD preview of the OT and what's new. I will not miss this!

before I'll be saving seats, after I'll leave with friends to discuss what we saw and EAT! My girlfriend will be with me and not want to be bored waiting in line. It's her first Comic Con and she's only going because I'm all excited about it. I'd rather she meet my friends, some of you from online, etc. and not watch me shop for things I don't even collect. She thinks I have enough toys I bet. She's too nice to say it though.

Sunday - I may not go at all. There's no panel discussions, Steve usually leaves early to head home, but there is good bargain hunting. Still there's nothing other than $15 Eopies that I'd be interested in. Maybe a couple extra E2 Kid-Fett's which anyone would sell me for $2 each on the first day probably. So traffic, $$ for parking, $$ for food, versus a chance to do my laundry? Hmmmm.

Look. If you want me to get you something from comic con - you have my reasons for saying "no" above.

If the list is small (from everyone) I'll let you know if I'll even consider it.

Likely I'm looking for an excuse to not do it.

List away and if too many people are posting things, you'll be able to see why I must say "forget it." - probably with no appologies.

Somebody that wants to supply you (if you want it that bad) will provide it on e-Bay and be compensated for their time they invested. I hate that scenerio, but then I'm not a completist and don't worry about silver figures and that sort of thing.

Well, let's see how bad this can get...

JediTricks
07-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Hee hee, Tycho's been a staff member of SSG longer than SirSteve himself. ;) (Site's only existed in any form for 7 years :p)

Anyway, thanks for the offer, but this year I don't see anything I really MUST have.

plo koon 200
07-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey Tycho if you get a chance can you get me the free stufff (as much or as little as possible). If you can't that's okay. I hope that is not a big demand. Thanks a lot. And, may you find an army of mousdroids at the convention to sniff.

dr_evazan22
07-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Tycho - At Wizard World Philly there was a vendor that had European versions of some E1 toys: Ammo Wagon w/ Falumpaset is the only one that comes to mind, but he had a few that were VHTF. Almost forgot to say they were $10!

Hopefully you'll find it there too.

Kidhuman
07-15-2004, 10:28 PM
The only thing I want fron Tycho is the low down on the new goodies. Can ya handle that Tycho? ;) :beard:

Tycho
07-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Hee hee, Tycho's been a staff member of SSG longer than SirSteve himself. ;) (Site's only existed in any form for 7 years :p)

Anyway, thanks for the offer, but this year I don't see anything I really MUST have.

What I remember is my first book review was Young Jedi Knights "Return to Ord Mandtell" with Han Solo on the cover, because it came out at the same time Steve was debuting the first images of 1997 wave 3, ROTJ, which included the Han Endor figure. I remember it was sort of a "Han Solo thing" going when I came on board.

The figures came out in '97, but Steve had pics of them around Thanksgiving of 1996.

Now, 2004-1996 equals 8.

Steve debuted the site (I think, when I discovered it) in 1995 or early '96 because he started with the pics of the first 9 POTF2s and then got pics of the SOTE and early ROTJ figures and ANH "Mos Eisley Wave" when I first discovered the site.

I'm pretty sure Steve was around more than a year before I was.

But my memory is going in my old age. JediTricks would have been around about as long as I have if I recall. - Maybe 1 year less. Not sure now that I think about it. I think Thrawn was involved with the site before JT, but he came around sometime shortly after I was here.

Most of us diehards were around though.

dr_evazan22
07-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Would you ask if there will be any fiction giving background to the relationship between Obi and Dexter Jetster? Or just Dexter by himself.

Dexter, worst acting in the movie(worse then Portman)! How in the world, or the galaxy, did he know it was a Kamino Saberrr Darrt?

Hellboy
07-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Well I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to spend time picking up a bunch of exclusives you're not interested in and standing in never ending lines. Priority one should be to have fun.

I wish I could offer you those Eopie's you've been trying to hunt down for so long but the best I could do would be to offer you most, if not all, of the Tanus Spijek's and J'Quille's you were looking for a while back. If you haven't already found those I would be happy to trade you multiples of both for a Kill Bill QT figure and/or a Silver Sandtrooper. :nerv:

Kidhuman
07-15-2004, 11:31 PM
I already got him his whipids and eloms. :p :beard:

Hellboy
07-15-2004, 11:54 PM
I already got him his whipids and eloms. :p :beard:

D'OH!! :ermm:

Well I am glad you got your figures Tycho but darn you KH. :p ;)

Tycho
07-15-2004, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys. I'm pretty much OK on all the figures.

Would you ask if there will be any fiction giving background to the relationship between Obi and Dexter Jetster? Or just Dexter by himself.

Dexter, worst acting in the movie(worse then Portman)! How in the world, or the galaxy, did he know it was a Kamino Saberrr Darrt?

In the Jedi Apprentice books it is explained that when Diddi and Astri Oodo the father-daughter team that ran the place left after one-too-many-close-calls for Diddi's information peddling, Dexter bought the place.

Dexter really doesn't go "all the way back with Obi-Wan," but because he knew Diddi and he was close to Qui-Gon, Dexter tried to make the Jedi welcome. When Qui-Gon died and Obi-Wan was left alone, the owners of the place (past and present) took it upon themselves to treat Obi-Wan well and make his transition from Apprentice to Master as easy as possible. Obi-Wan's introduced Dexter to Anakin on one occasion also.

I liked Dexter very much in the movie btw - and I dig his action figure!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-16-2004, 03:47 PM
You got my PM a few days ago, Tycho, so you pretty much know what i'm looking for and that is 2 of the Kill Bill Quentin Tarantino Exclusives and a silver sandtrooper. :D

dindae
07-16-2004, 08:20 PM
If you happy to go to a Palisades party and they happen to be throwing around an industry exclusive version of a muppet figure I would gladly pay you $30-40 bucks for it. While I would love it if they picked up the Star Wars line because of the scuplting detail and hard work they put into doing things right, the exclusive and limited editions would bankrupt me. They made a exclusive Kermit and Miss Piggy wedding 2pack to give out and the wedding of executive in the company (only 200 pieces). It goes for $600 plus in the guides although I have never seen one for sale. Can you imagine if Hasbro did this for Star Wars? :crazed: :crazed:

mastermatt24
07-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Hey Tycho- I dont need you to get me anything :D , but I do have a question: I noticed some of my favorite authors are going to be there (Kevin J. Anderson, Rebca Moesta, Troy Denning, Matthew Stover etc...) do you know if they will sign there book(s)?? Any help would be great, this is my first time at CC.

Tycho
07-18-2004, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure, but I think they will.

I've talked with both authors before at panels and they were very nice and they are happy to talk to fans, so my guess is that they don't charge for signatures, but you should always "pay them" a compliment or tell them what you liked about their work.

The authors I've spent the most time talking to were Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole (two of my favorites, obviously). They were great guys and would have been happy to sign anything is my guess - I didn't ask because I don't collect autographs. I was much more interested in just having a converstation with them.

I really hope Jude Watson is there. I love her work!

mastermatt24
07-18-2004, 07:51 PM
I really hope Jude Watson is there. I love her work!

ok, I know you dont collect the autographs but arent they giving away signed copies of her work away in the pavillion?

Tycho
07-18-2004, 11:27 PM
I might stumble upon that.

You can double-check here at the official comic con website (http://www.comic-con.org/Pages/CCIWhatsNew.html)

It sure isn't the same thing as meeting her and asking her about how she keeps coming up for all these great story ideas!

Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest books are on average, better than the adult books.

mastermatt24
07-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Hey hey Tycho, What do you and Steve look like? Because Im not sure Ill be able to get to the hasbro thing early because I would really like Matthew Stover to sign some books and that other guy is there too (cestus deception). and it would be good to know what you too look like, so I can go say hi or something. :D

Tycho
07-20-2004, 03:24 PM
My picture's posted here. (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=121897&postcount=28)

I'm the only one in the picture that's not a Mouse Droid!

Steve's picture is posted in this thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=11248&page=2&highlight=Post+Picture) I linked to (either on Page 1,2, or 3) - just look for his posts.

I'll probably be with him or with my girlfriend (a tall blonde that looks like a younger version of Meg Ryan).

I'll definitely not be wearing a suit, I but might have on a black SSG Staff shirt (a black polo shirt) or a San Diego Star Wars Society shirt (black as well).

From time to time I might be sniffing a Mouse Droid (please don't interrupt at that moment, but you can bring your own Mouse Droid and join me though).

Continue to check the posts linked to above for my later additions. I have a Mouse Droid Sniffing System Harness Device (MDSSHD) that I've patented and I might be wearing, making it more difficult to recognize me.

Please find me early. I've put in a request for Hasbro to allow me to buy 100 Mouse Droids from them directly as a charity donation. They should be mint in little plastic dimebags and if I still have any, I'll be giving out Mint Loose Mouse Droid figures (stench preserved) to every SW collector that I meet while supplies last. Hasbro hasn't responded to my request yet, however. I think they are checking with National Security to see if large quantities of Mouse Droids can be used in a terrorist act.

In any case, I don't think my "Got Mouse?" T-shirt will be done in time for Comic Con. I plan to wear that to Celebration 3 in Indianapolis where I've written a letter to their City Council to request 1000 Mouse Droids molded fresh from Hasbro (I only requested their production overstock for Comic Con).

Yes indeed, it is probably a safe precaution to bring your own Mouse Droid just in case my plans for world domination distributing little plastic Mouse Droids don't quite work out the way I've planned.

mastermatt24
07-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey Tycho- I have to ask. whats your real name?

mastermatt24
07-20-2004, 09:08 PM
From time to time I might be sniffing a Mouse Droid (please don't interrupt at that moment, but you can bring your own Mouse Droid and join me though).

Ok.. Im kinda in the dark on the Mouse Driod sniffing. :neutral: That must of been before my time on the forums. Could you fill me in?

Hellboy
07-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Ah yes... the mouse droid sniffing incident of 02'. Some say Tycho has never been the same since. :crazed:

Judge for yourself here. :classic:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=5280&page=1

Tycho
07-21-2004, 04:38 AM
Hey Tycho- I have to ask. whats your real name?

General Tycho Celchu, Rogue Squadron, retired.

I retired twice but was recalled to active duty during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

I flew x-wings and about a dozen other starcraft under General Wedge Antilles, as well as trained a lot of our younger pilots, now commanders in their own right, such as Gavin Darklighter who was once under my command.

Later I did some work for Rebel Alliance Intelligence, and the NRI as it was called when we formed our official first government after the Rebellion was successful.

I was part of the command structure in the new Galactic Alliance and took my last orders from Mon Calamari.

Decided to go to Solaris 3 (what you call earth) for retirement. It's so primative, no intergalactic conquerors ever bother with it.

I first got into Mouse Droids when we'd use them for NRI operations by equiping them with spy devices the way Imperial Intelligence used to. It became important to SNIFF OUT the ones that we could use and the ones that would compromise our infiltration.

One can make a career out of Mouse Droids if you try to. lol

mastermatt24
07-21-2004, 12:34 PM
General Tycho Celchu, Rogue Squadron, retired.

I retired twice but was recalled to active duty during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

I flew x-wings and about a dozen other starcraft under General Wedge Antilles, as well as trained a lot of our younger pilots, now commanders in their own right, such as Gavin Darklighter who was once under my command.

Later I did some work for Rebel Alliance Intelligence, and the NRI as it was called when we formed our official first government after the Rebellion was successful.

I was part of the command structure in the new Galactic Alliance and took my last orders from Mon Calamari.

Decided to go to Solaris 3 (what you call earth) for retirement. It's so primative, no intergalactic conquerors ever bother with it.

I first got into Mouse Droids when we'd use them for NRI operations by equiping them with spy devices the way Imperial Intelligence used to. It became important to SNIFF OUT the ones that we could use and the ones that would compromise our infiltration.

One can make a career out of Mouse Droids if you try to. lol

All I wanted to know was your name.... :rolleyes: