PDA

View Full Version : Computer frustration

Exhaust Port
07-17-2004, 02:30 AM
Ok, I run a pretty clean computer. I don't have a lot of goofy icons and junk on it, I am very careful about downloading stuff and routinely run anti-Spyware software. Even with those habits I've picked up a bug. Now I'm occasionally getting a pop-up window but it seems to be associated with IE as that is the icon on the title bar. I've run my anti-spyware software with no results.

Any ideas or places that I can look for help? Thanks.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-17-2004, 03:01 AM
I used to run IMesh long ago and it left lots of poo on my computer. I got a "how to windows registry" book and took care of alot of the problems there. Because alot of that spyware stuff leaves behind entries in the registry even after you've deleted the rest of it from your system.

You might also try "system restore" to restore back to a time before you loaded the "spyware"

Just some suggestions, don't know how good they'll do ya, but good luck, that spyware stuff is a royal pain in the behind!

scruffziller
07-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Whatever you do you must back up your registry so it doesn't get fubared.

You should run Norton AntiVirus on your computer and it will pick up stuff that your Spyware detector will miss. But you will probably have to remove those programs manually.

mabudonicus
07-17-2004, 09:53 AM
try the tomcoyote forums, great resource, and lots of really sharp people who really know what they're doing...

The program "HijackThis" may help too(it's freeware, like all good things), but use those forums along with it, you can do irreparable damage with that thing

And also look into mozilla firefox, really, do it :beard:

stillakid
07-17-2004, 10:37 AM
If you're running XP, go to START, RUN, type in MSCONFIG and then go to the STARTUP tab on top. Everything checkmarked is a background program running. Uncheck everything that you think might be useless. If you don't know what anything is, uncheck everything and restart. Then begin the process of checking one thing at a time and restarting. It can be laborious, but you'll find out which line item is the culprit. Even "good" programs tend to think that they should always be up front and running just in case you want to use them (Quicktime, for example). But by and large, most of that crap can get shut off. But of course, the next time you run one of those programs (Quicktime, for example), it somehow turns itself back on in the Startup area. Bastards!

Of course, you may already know all of this. :)

Exhaust Port
07-17-2004, 11:51 AM
I've been a loyal Mozilla/Firefox user for quite a while that is what makes this IE infestation even more frustrating. I blame Bill Gates.

Stilla: Thanks a ton. I went through that list and found a few items of questionable origin that I nixed. Now only time will tell if the pop ups will stop.

Thanks everyone.

Exhaust Port
07-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Well my previous attempt didn't work so I did some searching on the internet and found this article:

http://www.scribbling.net/how-to-stop-internet-explorer-pop-ups

mabudon, I tried your suggestion of hijackthis as well as the other items that this guy outlined. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will do it.

Exhaust Port
07-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Nope, I still got a IE pop up window today. Back to the drawing board.... argh!

stillakid
07-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Nope, I still got a IE pop up window today. Back to the drawing board.... argh!

Go back to that startup menu I mentioned. Chances are that something turned itself back on...

Exhaust Port
07-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Sure enough... Not only did something get turned back on but it appears that it reinstalled itself as my previously deactivated entry was still listed at the bottom of the list. Webrebates is the name of the stupid program. I'm unable to delete it from the Program directory as well. When I have more time I'm going to have to look into this more. Thanks Stilla.

Dr Zoltar
07-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Try these two links:

http://forums.techguy.org/archive/index.php/t-243204.html

http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16886

You're not the only one to be hit with webrebates. The common thread I've read on-line is that webrebates may be uninstallable through the Add/Remove Programs under your Control Panel.

Exhaust Port
07-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks Dr. Zoltar! I did the registry edit found in the link you provided so I'm now back to hoping that I've killed this thing once and for all!!!

Exhaust Port
07-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Well that didn't work either. :( I did some digging online and came up with this fix:

http://www.help2go.com/posts8158-0.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Following this method and starting the ol' computer in safe mode did allow me to delete the Webrebates folder from the Program File directory which I wasn't able to do before. Once again I'll sit back and see if the pop-ups re-appear. I hope that this fix will cure my ills and someone else can benefit from this little adventure.

kool-aid killer
11-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Okay, ive got a problem that just started and i have no idea why or how. I was just typing in my newly resurrected Nebraska Just Found thread when the second CD drive (F, if that matters) started popping in and out. There was no disk in there and the rack just kept popping in and out, sometimes stuttering. Any idea what is going on in there? Virus, faulty tower (Compaq Presario 5000,) or am i doing something screwy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mabudonicus
11-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Maybe it's a poltergeist.... personally never heard of a virus doing that, I thought the circuit was analog for the tray opening, but I guess I have seen machines where it's prompted.....
Sorry, that is something I've never heard of... my guess would be hardware-related, though, I doubt it's something you're doing... maybe the circuit got "closed" by something that fell into it or something.....

kool-aid killer
11-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Nothings happened this time, so hopefully it was just some type of glitch within the tower. Further use will prove whether its something im going to need to take to get fixed.

JediTricks
11-21-2004, 04:47 PM
There are a few things it could be, an errant command, loose cables, driver incompatibility, moisture in the air, a computer virus, operating system freak-out, even an insect on the inside of the computer tower shorting something out. I wouldn't worry too much unless stuff like this keeps happening, but run a virus check anyway if you have the software.

Hellboy
12-04-2004, 03:35 PM

I've been having trouble eliminating pop-ups on my PC for some time now and have tried most of the pop-up blockers out there in addition to running anti-spyware software. It wasn't until I switched to Mozilla Firefox that these stopped completely. Having entertained the idea of switching for some time now I can honestly say I'll never go back to Internet Explorer. Mozilla's interface is great and with all of the security issues surrounding IE I highly recommend checking into it for those who haven't already, really, do it :beard:

stillakid
12-04-2004, 04:54 PM
I've been having trouble eliminating pop-ups on my PC for some time now and have tried most of the pop-up blockers out there in addition to running anti-spyware software. It wasn't until I switched to Mozilla Firefox that these stopped completely. Having entertained the idea of switching for some time now I can honestly say I'll never go back to Internet Explorer. Mozilla's interface is great and with all of the security issues surrounding IE I highly recommend checking into it for those who haven't already, really, do it :beard:

I just started using Firefox and it is good and all...but none of the Quicktime links work in that browser. They work perfectly on Explorer but not Firefox. Check out www.weather.com for an example. :confused:

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Maybe you need this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50272&item=5937819309&rd=1

Rocketboy
12-04-2004, 11:51 PM
I've been having trouble eliminating pop-ups on my PC for some time now and have tried most of the pop-up blockers out there in addition to running anti-spyware software. It wasn't until I switched to Mozilla Firefox that these stopped completely. Having entertained the idea of switching for some time now I can honestly say I'll never go back to Internet Explorer. Mozilla's interface is great and with all of the security issues surrounding IE I highly recommend checking into it for those who haven't already, really, do it :beard:I've been using Firefix for a few months now and I agree, I'll never go back to IE. I love the tabbing option.
The only downside I've seen to Firefox is that it seems slower than IE, but it's not that big of a deal.

Is anyone having problems running AIM since they intalled Firefox? I haven't, but I know Slicker has. He can't even seem to run AIM anymore. Not sure if this is a coincidence or not.

Slicker
12-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Yeah, if anyone can help me out on this that would be great. Most of the time when I try to open it up it stops at step 3 when it's gonna sign me in. A couple of times though it's let me get signed in but when I go to IM someone my computer says that it encountered a problem with AIM and needs to close it. I've tried downloading it several times and still get the same thing.

My computer is too sexy and out of control. Jerry can you help me?

kool-aid killer
12-06-2004, 11:24 AM
There are a few things it could be, an errant command, loose cables, driver incompatibility, moisture in the air, a computer virus, operating system freak-out, even an insect on the inside of the computer tower shorting something out. I wouldn't worry too much unless stuff like this keeps happening, but run a virus check anyway if you have the software.

I havent been able to post more often because my computer did end up having a virus, along with spyware in it. I feel bad for the chump spying on me, all he seen was a bunch of geek sites, sucker. :evil: So im having to use the school computer lab, which also sucks because i get funny looks when people see me browsing around a site that has Star Wars pictures littered across it. Oh well, im secure in my geekdom. I wont be getting my comp back until the end of the week though.

dr_evazan22
12-06-2004, 07:40 PM
I ahd been having problems with AIM. Not an AOL member, sometimes when I would click to AOL.com it would take me to a screen that said it was for AOL members only, other times it would take me directly to the sign in page where I could click on the AIM. Last week I downloaded the most recent AIM and now it's always on. The news pop ups are annoying when I "wake up" my computer.

Slicker
12-06-2004, 10:12 PM
I had my internet shut off today because I apparently I had several viruses in my computer so Cox shut it down so it couldn't get worse. It still isn't working properly but what can you do. I personally think it's the router that we're using because I also think that's what won't let me use AIM.

Exhaust Port
12-07-2004, 08:59 AM
Have you run any anti-virus or anti-spyware software?

Slicker
12-07-2004, 01:07 PM
At least 2 times a week I run Spybot, Adaware, and Norton. I did have Limewire also and I deleted that just in case. Cox Cable couldn't really give me the source of the virus but thankfully they shut me off before it could do much harm.