PDA

View Full Version : IF they OT were made now...

Rocketboy
07-17-2004, 02:45 AM
Lets say that the Original Trilogy were made were made in this day and age, what parts/scenes do you think would be better and what scenes would actually imporve because of today's technology?
(And please, forget the Super Duper Ultimate Fanboy Rumor Editions)

First off, I think the lightsaber battles would be "faster, more intense."
If they can make 80-something-year-old Christopher Lee look like he can move like that, imagine what they'd do with Old Ben!
Plus, the Vader and Luke fights would probably have to try an top the Prequel battles. Imagine their battle on the Death Star II with the energy of Maul/Obi-Wan!

I think the Battle of Hoth would be much more exciting than it is now, with faster action, and much more dynamic shots.

mrpauldeeds
07-17-2004, 05:37 AM
i would have to agree with you on everything you said....esp the hoth battle.

i think the rancor pit would be a litte better nowdays (not by much), even though the original is spectacular. they could have made the rancors movement a little smoother and made him look even more menecing. maybe even enlarge the pit, because the pit seemed pretty small, though i know its ment to be that way.

all the space battles would look bigger and more intense, but the space fights now days look artificial, so i dont know if that would help or not. still it would be cool to see the endor moon battle CG with some new scenes.

good post:)

Kidhuman
07-17-2004, 09:44 AM
I guess we will find out when G. Lu makes yet more changes to this round of releases.

stillakid
07-17-2004, 10:43 AM
I think it would be worse. Doing things the "hard way" (models, motion control rigs, real pyro) forces the filmmaker to make choices early on. The ability to "tinker" constantly invites second-guessing into the process. Obstacles have traditionally been part of the recipe for better films. George isn't the only victim of making garbage as his access to resources improves.

JediTricks
07-17-2004, 09:47 PM
I don't think Vader & Obi-Wan's battle would have been any faster, the script suggests that they are using Force powers against each other, I don't think they need flashy moves that waste energy, their battle is like a deadly chessmatch rather than a ballet on speed. I suspect that the Lucas of the '70s would have probably added some more Force actions and sound effects, but not made the battle an insane whirlwind of red and blue.

I know that the Rancor scenes with Luke would have been filmed better, I am still in shock that Lucas didn't correct the lighting and matting issues there in the Special Edition.

I'm not sure I understand the battle of Hoth claims, are you suggesting the snowspeeder vs AT-AT stuff wasn't enough, or the ground attacks would have been somehow enhanced? I don't really see where one would add changes in either, the snowspeeder scenes are pretty tight already and certainly fast enough, and the ground scenes really don't have anything to show since the Empire didn't bother to use groundtroops there. I suppose the Echo Base scenes could have had more, but they could have had more in '80 as well and the director chose not to so I don't think technology would have changed that any.

Perhaps the Ewok battles would have been a little bigger and had more going for the Ewoks, a few more gliders and other weapons, something like that, bigger scope and more varied.

Rocketboy
07-17-2004, 11:01 PM
I I'm not sure I understand the battle of Hoth claims, are you suggesting the snowspeeder vs AT-AT stuff wasn't enough, or the ground attacks would have been somehow enhanced? I don't really see where one would add changes in either, the snowspeeder scenes are pretty tight already and certainly fast enough, and the ground scenes really don't have anything to show since the Empire didn't bother to use groundtroops there.I don't have a problem with the Hoth battle as it is, but I think it would be much faster with more dynamic shots that couldn't have been done back in 1980. For example, look at the way Lucas updated the attack on the Death Star in A New Hope SE - it's one of the SE changes that was definitely better than the original.

Pendo
07-18-2004, 07:14 AM
Jar Jar Binks would be following Luke Skywalker.

Ewoks would be CGI.

PENDO!

JEDIpartner
07-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Jar Jar Binks would be following Luke Skywalker.

Ewoks would be CGI.
You need to go! ;)