PDA

View Full Version : Bespin Leia

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Of the three Bespin figures, this is probably the worst. It's still okay, though. It doesn't look too much like Carrie Fisher, but it's not horrible. She has very limited articulation, just head, shoulders, and odd elbow articulation that doesn't do much. Instead of being a separate piece, her cape it the connected to her body, and it's quite thick. As such, she can't move much. The cape looks alright, it's painted in odd pastel colors which may or may not be accurate. She also has a blaster and a base, neither of which are new.

She gets a B-.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Just curious, how would you compare her to the "Princess Leia Collection" bespin version?

JEDIpartner
07-18-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm sure that it's more accurate and isn't all "doe-eyed"... LOL

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Just curious, how would you compare her to the "Princess Leia Collection" bespin version?
Well actually, I don't have any of the Leia collection figures. From the pictures of the Bespin Leia 1998 figure, this new one seems to be a huge improvement. It is more accurate in the face, I mean not "doe-eyed", but it doesn't lok too much like Leia. The OTC figure's cape is weird but it looks to be a lot better than the 1998 version's, it's more accurate.

So, if you have the old one, get this new version too. It isn't the best, but it's not nearly the worst. Like I said, the cape should have been a separate piece from the body, but it's not like she ever even takes it off anyway so it's not too bad.

JEDIpartner
07-19-2004, 02:19 PM
One of the gripes I have had about the recent "frocked" figures is that they have been similar to variations on the "salt and pepper shaker" Royal Guard figures. I appreciate the detail but sometimes I don't know if it's worth sacrificing the articulation.

Kidhuman
07-19-2004, 08:03 PM
I like this figure. Very reminiscent to the vintage one.

bigbarada
08-05-2004, 12:47 PM
This is a nice figure as long as you can find one with a good paint job. I don't mind the sculpted on outer garment, since I've gotten used to this technique with the Amidala figures. And it's not like she's really doing anything more than standing and walking in this outfit in ESB, so the limited articulation is not a big deal. A

JediTricks
08-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Wrapping up the OTC Cloud City assortment reviews, Cloud City Leia was last released in the POTF2-era Princess Leia collection, which meant it was a little more "girly" than most figures; in fact, that figure actually was wearing a lace over-robe, a very strange choice for an action figure. This new version ditches the lace robe and cloth skirt in favor of an all-plastic construction, but that does end up costing articulation. I can't say I really wanted another version of this figure, though at least this one is more movie-accurate, making it superior to that version. But how does this figure stack up on her own?

Packaging: 4/5
I still like the basic OTC card front, the graphics are a great theme and the wide bubble gives lots of room for positioning in front of the nifty mini-diorama image, as well as holding accessories. Leia's diorama image is of a Cloud City hallway with stairs, it's far more recognizable than the hallway on Lobot's card. The bubble insert has a movie still of Leia while the card back image is a promotional still that shows the outfit very nicely.

The bubble tray holds the figure without twisties or clear-bands, though the blaster in her hand is taped in position to the tray. I still don't like the card back design, and of course you have to cut or rip the bubble to free the figure, so that's why it's usually ranked a 4 in my reviews.

Sculpt-Design: 3/5
Hasbro went a strange route with this figure, the body and over-robe are all 1 solid, rubbery piece and the head and limbs are plugged into that. The rubbery material of the main body doesn't have as crisp a sculpt as the limbs, though they did the best they could; the folds of the outfit just don't look as realistic with this plastic, so it seems the arms have been sculpted "soft" to match this - though the robe's intricate pattern seems very sharp for some reason. The pants have a better sculpt, though you can barely see 'em.

The head sculpt is good, though the nose and mouth are still slightly off and I'm not sure what's going on at the base of the neck. The hair is good if simple, they got the hairline fairly accurate and the rear bun-tails thing has a great sculpt while staying closer to the head than previous Bespin Leia figs. The designers tried to match the loose tufts of hair in front of Leia's ears by having them stick out, this is met with mixed results that the paint makes worse. Leia's height is accurate in that she's very short, the same height as POTJ Bespin Escape Leia.

Articulation: 1.5/5
Cloud City Leia sports 6 pitiful points of articulation: neck, shoulders, waist and cut-elbows. I wasn't initially even sure the waist was articulated, it wouldn't work in part because the legs are so rubbery, but eventually it gave and now works - for whatever that's worth. The shoulders rotate all the way around, though once they get to the robe collar they start to leave the body which is unattractive. The cut-joint elbows seem totally useless, they're almost straight across so the forearms merely rotate around, and the most extreme bends you can get (we're talking 10 degrees at most) have the hands upside-down - what were they thinking here? The lack of meaningful articulation ends up being this figure's biggest downfall.

Pose: 3/5
Leia has a very neutral pose, she stands there or she... stands there. She can look left or right, but not up or down. She can't lean over poor tortured Han, she can't sit on a Cloud City couch, she can't even bring her arms closer to her body. She can stay upright without a figure stand, but she's quite shakey due to tiny feet and rubbery legs. Her right hand has a gun-holding pose which looks a bit odd. This Leia's almost a statue, but at least it's not a pre-posed one.

Paint-Deco: 2.5/5
The outfit's colors are all there, if a little lighter than the pictures show, but the paint work has slop at almost every turn. The lines between the outer robe and the inner outfit are dicey due to the one-piece body design, yet the flesh paint on the feet and hands suffers the same issues; also, the metallic piping on the robe collar is too wide and uneven. At least the red plastic color of the limbs and main body paint match up. Strangely, the complex patterns of the robe are painted in subtle pastel hues but still come off way too vibrant; the paint on these patterns is a tad thick and gritty, but the many small painting slip-ups here are less obvious.

The head is cast in fleshtone, it's still too pale for my tastes but not as bad as VOTC Leia; the cheeks have some rouge to them, it's uneven but again not as severe as other Leia figures out there. The eyes seem too big and the eyebrows too high, and my figure has the left eye center bleeding into the white. The hair is dark brown and has a 2-tone paint app so it looks more textured than usual, this is nice and subtle so it works well, and the separate bun thing matches up. The tufts of loose hair where the plastic flares out at the sideburns didn't come off well, it looks weird with that fleshtone plastic showing like a set of gills.

Accessories: 2.5/5
With a figure this small and who did so little in the film, Hasbro really should have included a set piece like a table or bench or something. Instead, she only comes with a generic base-stand and an Imperial stormtrooper blaster (could at least have included 2 more blasters). The blaster is the same POTJ sculpt but I think the mold is starting to degrade from use because some of the features here are starting to lose their shape, it still looks good but compared to its first outing it's not quite as nice. Also, this is yet another plastic color for the blaster, this time in shiny silver, and while it looks nice I wish they'd pick a color and stick with it so we don't end up with a grayscale rainbow of stormie blasters. The plastic here isn't too rubbery, though being taped to the tray has warped it slightly; the figure's right hand is designed specifically for this gun and it looks good there.

Overall: C+
The other OTC Cloud City entries have been excellent figures, so I don't see why this Leia got the short end of the stick. This is not a great figure, Hasbro could have done a lot more like with a removable robe, cloth skirt, articulated legs, ball-jointed neck, paint that wasn't so sloppy, better accessories... but they took the easy route instead and ended up with a half-baked figure - "ok, I guess" territory shouldn't cut it with a core character. What we end up with is a figure that is not so bad that it's reviled but not so good that it's recommended and thus doomed to mediocrity.

plasticfetish
08-20-2004, 04:51 AM
but not so good that it's recommended and thus doomed to mediocrity.Bummer. It is nice to see that you're finding these figures to review though. ;) (I've still yet to see any of the Bespin figures at retail.)