PDA

View Full Version : Official: Bryan "X-Men" Singer on Superman!!!

Beast
07-19-2004, 12:51 AM
From AICN:
Warners finally gets it right! SUPERMAN RETURNS! The Confirmed Details Spill To Earth!

Hey folks, Harry here... it is with a great deal of relief, joy and happiness that I can lay out what is happening with the Man of Steel.

As of Today, the deals for Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris have been closed to helm & write from scratch the new SUPERMAN film.

This is the X2 team. The team that made, arguably the best of the Marvel Films (arguable only because Raimi nailed the hell out of SPIDER-MAN 2).

The J.J. Abrams script has been completely tossed out. Not of shred of it will remain. That McG ordered SUPERMAN cybersuit (Brilliant Ideas From Mr Hot Wheels, eh?) that Stan Winston's brilliant craftsmen were paid zillions to create is GONE! Today, long time sources like Frosty Skywalker, Sir Etch-A-Sketch and Sir Magnadoodle... those last two have been in the hallways of Warners for the better part of the past decade... and have access to every room.

Frosty wrote to tell me that Bryan was signed, and that LOGAN'S RUN and X3 were now dead. While the first part of that is true... LOGAN'S RUN and X3 are not dead. The word from the halls of Warner Bros is that LOGAN'S RUN will be the film that Bryan Singer will make immediately after the Man Of Steel lands in theaters near us all. HOWEVER - if you begin talking to spies at Fox in Tom Rothman's offices and adjoining offices... X3 will be made after SUPERMAN by Singer, or Fox will leave him behind and continue forward with a new director.

It'll be interesting to see how the cast will take to that... I know they all love Rothman so. He's a really cute dude, very lovable snugglebunny and obviously the reason that series has been the success that it has been. No, no, really. Ok, maybe that's a fib.

Details on SUPERMAN RETURNS, which is what Team Singer and WB seem to be calling it, are few and far between. But one source, that proved to me today to be quite close to some Warner exec that strikes an amazing resemblence to Lex Luthor himself, hinted to me that this film does not throw the Donner films away and allegedly somehow has something to do with their timeline and history!!!

So... from the title, all we're left with is... he must have left, and now he's back. Does that refer to the child of Krypton's absence from theaters, Metropolis, our Planet or what? Will 3 & 4 be canon or merely tragedies? If he's returning, one can assume that he went somewhere, and now feels the need to be back... but why? Where'd he go? Why's he back? I can say though... SUPERMAN RETURNS will not be an Origin Story. We're not going to walk through all that molasses for the umpteenth time, waiting for Kal-El to do something or become Superman again!

The confirmed details are: Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris are on board. It will not be an origin story. And something regarding the Christopher Reeve films and that universe has something to do with this. (though that last one is a shady detail... My source heard that, but when they did... there was no elaboration for the how, what, when, where or why of it.) I assure you... I'm on this case like Comet, the super-horse! That's right, I'm your super-stud!

While Warners continues to be the craziest most bi-polar studio on planet Earth... It seems they're nailing BATMAN BEGINS... and they finally have a team that I can get enthusiastically pumped up about. Now if only GREEN LANTERN was being done justice the way New Line proposed to Warners in a faithful 3 film Green Lantern Corps super epic. But, a comedic riff by Jack Black... that's just as good right? Sigh. No matter, the team behind X2 will once again have all of us believing that a man can fly!

From Superhero Hype:
Bryan Singer Confirmed for Superman! Source: Variety Monday, July 19, 2004

Both good news and bad news. Variety has just confirmed that "X-Men" series director Bryan Singer signed a deal Friday to develop and direct Warner Bros.' Superman. The bad? He will not be doing X-Men 3. Here are highlights from the article, we'll link to the full article if/when it becomes available...

-Singer, who helmed "The X-Men" comicbook adaptations for Fox, is expected to work with "X-2" scribes Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris to draft a tentpole that starts production late this year in Australia.

-A tug-of-war over Singer's next project had been going on for weeks, with Fox's third "X-Men" installment competing with Warner's remake of "Logan's Run" to land the helmer. It now looks likely that Singer will not do the third "X-Men," even though he has an overall deal with Fox.

-Besides the recent exit of helmer McG from the "Superman" project, producers Neal Moritz and Gilbert Adler have apparently disappeared from the scene as well. The fate of Jon Peters also is up in the air.

-The studio apparently scrapped a J.J. Abrams script that WB once was high on.

-The studio tapped Australia as a reasonably priced shooting location, with a budget said to be around $200 million, and wanted to put the franchise in the hands of Adler and Moritz. But Moritz's deal was never made and it's uncertain whether Adler, who did have a deal, will remain involved.

-The WMA-repped Singer also is said to have a new take on the pic. Before his involvement, it was to revolve around Superman's battle with Lex Luthor and a mysterious figure from Krypton who has come to hunt down the Man of Steel.

-"My interest in Superman dates back many, many years," Singer said. "In fact, it was the Richard Donner classic film that was my day-to-day inspiration in shaping the X-Men universe for the screen. I feel that Superman has been late in his return and it is time for him to fly again."

From Superman-v.com:

We hear that Singer's vision of Superman is to ground his world in reality but keep the fantastical elements of the character alive. A major part of Donner's vision was to convince the audience that a man could fly and Singer will go down a similar route. A source close to Singer said that he wants to pose the question "What would happen and how would we react if tomorrow a flying guy dressed in primary colors appeared on the news saving people's lives?" So don't expect a macabre Burton style hero, or a Raimi hyper-real approach, or even the Nolan approach. Singer's take will be unique, with an eye on the real world and the human element of the story.
Yeah, I know that we have a Superman thread already. And that this probably should have been contained with that. But it didn't feel right, since there's some actual positive momentum on the film that's been started and stopped so many times. So I felt that a fresh and positive thread was in order. Since so much of the old thread was dedicated to the complaining about the terrible ideas that were circulating for the man of steel.

But again, it's official. After heavy negotiations between Singer, Singer had decided to opt out of helming X-Men 3 in exchange for doing Superman. And not only that, he's bringing his X-Men writing team with him to do it. Also pretty much confirmed, this will not be an origin story. It's believed they are respecting the Chris Reeves Superman I (and maybe II), as the ultimate Origin story. A good choice for pacing reasons, in my opinion.

It's sort of a shame, really. I really like Bryan Singer and his writing team's work on X-Men. And hopefully whoever they hire to take up the mantle will respect the first two films, as well as the original comics. Though who knows how hyped many of the actors will be to return to X-Men, without the director that they all spoke quite highly about. In the end, it's good news for Superman and troubling news for the X-Men franchise.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-19-2004, 01:00 AM
dammit all to hell!! Who really gives a rats arse about Superman?!?! I sure as hell don't. I think Singer is a dumba-- for ditching the X-Men films to bring superman back to life. He already had great ideas for X3 and now those are more than likely thrown out the door to revive the dead Superman franchise.

This is horrible news and i hope this movie flops big time. It would serve Singer right to ditch the X-Men franchise he created and go for the Man of Steel. Meh!!! :mad:

Beast
07-19-2004, 01:05 AM
Sadly, I somewhat agree with you JMG. I'm glad they got someone with half a brain for Superman. But I worry for X-3, if Singer isn't on board. Especially since the rumored plans for X-3 might not come to pass now. And the fact that many of the actors who like Singer, might feel betrayed and not come back. Not to mention, I wonder where this leaves Singer and his writing team's run on Ultimate X-Men, which was supposed to be his chance to write characters to get a feel for them before he did X-3. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-19-2004, 04:56 AM
So is this Superman V, or a new Superman Franchise?

PENDO!

Beast
07-19-2004, 05:03 AM
Unknown at the moment. It's current title is 'Superman Returns', and there are rumors that it will respect Superman I and II. So consider it a new Superman III, if things go that direction. If not, I guess we'll see. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
07-19-2004, 01:34 PM
I have an idea for a good director for Superman. RICHARD DONNER. And it would really drive the Salkinds nuts, if they are still around.

El Chuxter
07-19-2004, 02:08 PM
I think they should fire Singer off this project so he'll go back to X3. Then they should look back at the failed Superman film plans of the past decade and pull out the good folks:

Superman Returns
Starring Nicholas Cage as Superman!
Directed by Timothy Burton!
Written by Kevin Smith!
Original score by Danny Elfman!

derek
07-19-2004, 04:15 PM
i'm glad he's on this project. i'm no x-man comic fan, but he did a real nice job with x-men 1 and 2. i'm confident he'll do wonders for superman, the best superhero ever!!!. i just hope they can cast someone who lives up to the high level christopher reeve set for the role. i'm also glad they're not going to re-imagine his origins. just tell all the young kids to watch superman 1 and 2 before seeing this new one.

Hellboy
07-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Well being more of a fan of the X-Men than Superman I can't say this news really excites me. The fact that they won't be doing an origin story is a relief because I have no interest in sitting through another one of those but if I had to choose between X3 and a new Superman X3 wins hands down. Lets hope Singer can fit both into his busy schedule.

I also hope WB doesn't feel the need to attach a big name star to the title role. Tom Welling would be my choice as a big screen Kal-El mainly due to the fantastic job he's done on Smallville but I doubt he'll get the part. :frus:

Beast
07-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Saw this posted on E-Online, thought it was cute and decided to pass it along. Enjoy. :)

Superman Steals X-Man Singer - "Wolverine" speaks out!!

Dear Superman,

I thought we were friends. Or at least professional colleagues with a healthy respect of each other's powers--and boundaries.

Imagine my shock then when I cracked opened the Hollywood trades Monday morning here at Xavier Mansion, and read that my director--my director--had become your director.

"Supe's on with 'X' Man," Variety said. "Singer Gives Superman 'X'-Ray Vision," the Hollywood Reporter countered.

So, you've stolen Bryan Singer. You know at least when Mystique tries to stab me in the back she jumps up in the air first and does a couple of fancy somersaults so I have time to prepare my claws.

But you--you conniving Kryptonian--you pretend you're all about truth, justice and the American way, when all you're really about is getting back on the big screen anyway, anyhow.

The papers say Singer inked the deal with Warner Bros. on Friday. Variety says he'll probably bring screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris along, too.

(Oh, did I say "screenwriters"? I meant "my screenwriters." Mike and Dan helped write X2--maybe you caught that flick while you were busy not getting your stupid movie made.)

With Singer committing to you, the Reporter says his planned Logan's Run remake is now in "a gray zone"--big deal. And Variety says he probably won't have time for X-Men 3--very, very big deal, dude.

Fox has penciled in May 5, 2006, as the release date for X-Men 3. I know you're unfamiliar with the concept, but a release date is WHEN YOUR MOVIE'S SUPPOSED TO COME OUT!

How is my movie supposed to come out without a director? Oh, sure, Fox'll find somebody else. But somebody else won't be Bryan Singer. The man who plotted out and directed our first two movies (combined domestic gross: $372.2 million). The man who recognized a hero with furry sideburns could too be a leading man. The man who knows who Keyser Soze is.

In a way, I don't know why I'm getting all worked up.

So, Bryan's hooking up with you. So, he claims his "interest in [you] dates back many, many years." So, he professes to love the original Richard Donner Superman movie. So, he says, "it is time for [you] to fly again."

So, what?

Superman, you are like the messed-up hot chick who can't keep a guy.

Sure, Bryan's enamored with you--now. At one time, so was McG. So was Brett Ratner. So was Tim Burton. Even Michael Bay was rumored to have given you a look.

Got quite a collection of ex-suitors there, don't you? (Say, do you keep their pictures on a wall in the Fortress of Solitude--maybe next to your Lois Lane shrine?--you nutball stalker.)

Oh, I know, poor Kal-Hell, it's not your fault. It's Warners'. It was the studio that pulled the plug on Burton. It was the studio that wouldn't okay Ratner's choice to play you (then soap star Matthew Bomer). And it was the studio that insisted on shooting in Australia when McG wanted to shoot in New York.

Boo-hoo. Somebody get me a Kleenex.

But what I'll really be bawling about is how people fall for your woe-is-me, I'm-a-cursed-superhero act.

I don't care if BatBale gets more press. I don't care if Halle Berry's Catwoman getup gets more downloads. I don't care if you don't have a locked-in producer, a locked-in star or a locked-in screenplay. We should all be cursed with a $200 million budget and a road-tested comic-book director.

I hear Warners is still going to try to get your tired buns of steel off the ground for a shoot late this year. Might want to renew your Crunch membership, friend. By my tally, you haven't been out of the Barcalounger in 17 years.

Gee, I realize now this letter may be sounding a tad bitter. Forgive me. I was going for really, really bitter.

Give my regards to Bryan. If you ever actually meet him.

[Expletive deleted] you,

Wolverine

P.S.: Superman III sucked.

P.P.S.: Superman IV sucked worse.
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14543,00.html?eol.tkr

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-19-2004, 11:48 PM
I don't think Singer is the right note for Superman, it's just a different flavor IMO. Then again, looking back at most of the dreck WB had in store for cinematic Supes over the past years, it's almost got to be a step up. And I'm not worried about X3 because I didn't like X2 much.

As for how they could do this film, just based on the title I got it in my head of starting the movie with newsfootage showing Supes' death saving the planet from Doomsday (not my favorite villain or plotline, but it goes with the title) and then of the Super Funeral. From there, we get titles and go into the story of Superman reborn, without the Superboy clone and Steel though.

El Chuxter
07-21-2004, 02:26 PM
If Singer's out, I have an idea for a replacement director. He's another extremely talented director of rather dark films who has expressed a love of (especially Marvel) comics in the past.

M Knight Shamalyan

Imagine what X3 could be with him at the helm. Dunno if he's signed exclusively to Disney or anything, but if not Fox should be courting him for this flick.

After X-Men became the greatest comic movie of all time, before being trumped by Spider-Man (which was then in turn trumped by X2, which will likely remain supreme for years), X3 cannot afford to be a disappointment. Period. That would be worse than how the original Batman and Superman franchises went out like doondoon.

stillakid
07-21-2004, 03:44 PM
July 21, 2004

Back to the Launch Pad for 'Superman' After 10 years and perhaps $40 million, Warner is starting over on the movie.
By John Horn, Times Staff Writer

The Warner Bros. corporate jet was ready three weeks ago to fly from the Burbank airport to Hawaii, then on to Australia. The passenger list was headed by the director who calls himself McG, tapped to turn a long-delayed "Superman" movie into a multiplex reality.

To save $30 million from the film's already steep budget, the studio wanted "Superman" shot in Australia. A summer 2006 "Superman" premiere seemed possible. But like so many attempts to revive the Man of Steel, the jet never got off the ground.

For reasons that are still in dispute, McG refused to get on the plane, the trip was canceled, and Warner Bros. was soon in search of yet another "Superman" director. After 10 years, four directors and nearly a dozen screenwriters, the studio Sunday said it was going back to square one with yet another director and a pair of new writers.

Hollywood has been cranking out comic-book stories at a staggering clip, and the gigantic profits generated by runaway hits such as the "Spider-Man" and "X-Men" films have motivated nearly every studio to sift through its comic-book collection and jump-start its own superhero stories. Sony Corp.'s Columbia Pictures is fast at work on another "Spider-Man" sequel, News Corp.'s 20th Century Fox is filming "The Fantastic Four," and Warner itself will release "Catwoman" on Friday.

Yet as easy as it might first appear to turn illustrated panels into a movie, adapting a beloved comic book can be a painstaking process, sometimes no less difficult than the most ambitious Academy Award-worthy endeavor. During the decade that Warner, a Time Warner Inc. unit, has spent trying to adapt "Superman," there have been so many storytelling and budgetary dead ends that the studio has sunk at least $20 million (perhaps as much as $40 million) into the project, without a foot of film to show for it.

"When you go down the road with movies that are this expensive, you have to believe in the people, in the process and in the direction you are taking," said Jeff Robinov, president of production for Warner Bros. Pictures. "And honestly, we have not been comfortable."

One reason "Superman" has been hard to get aloft is because the character doesn't have the kind of edgy appeal of a Batman or the "X-Men" crew. He's an old-fashioned do-gooder, sort of a nerdish superhero. Because several movies have already told his story, there's also a lot of cinematic baggage that must be reworked. At one point along the way, one of the producers didn't want Superman to fly or wear his familiar costume.

The studio has yet to settle on an actor to play Clark Kent and his faster-than-a-locomotive alter ego, although those considered include Nicolas Cage, Josh Hartnett, Ashton Kutcher and a raft of unknowns.

Warner's struggles on "Superman" are particularly noteworthy, not only because the studio has excelled at making self-perpetuating franchise films such as "Harry Potter" and "The Matrix" but also because very few movies go through these kinds of machinations and still get made.

The studio bought the film rights to "Superman" from producer Alexander Salkind in 1993 and a year later hired Jonathan Lemkin ("The Devil's Advocate") to write a script, which he called "Superman Reborn." In Lemkin's imagining, Superman dies on Page 15, while his "life force" is transferred to Lois Lane, who becomes pregnant with a child who must age exponentially to save mankind.

Greg Poirier ("Rosewood") was then brought on to rewrite Lemkin's draft. "I still like my script. I think they should just dust it off and shoot it," Poirier said. "But the thing has been through so many permutations, it's hard to keep up."

By the late 1990s, Poirier's script had been rewritten by Kevin Smith ("Clerks"). "It was such an eye-opener," Smith said. "I learned so much about how studio movies get made or, in this case, how they don't get made." Smith said producer Jon Peters told him not only that Superman couldn't fly or wear his old costume but that he had to battle a giant spider. Peters declined to comment.

Tim Burton was hired to direct, but after the studio's expensive flops "Sphere" and "The Postman," Warner canceled his $140-million version, even though it meant paying the director and his star, Cage, millions to settle their contracts.

For several years, the studio toyed with making a "Batman vs. Superman" movie. But the studio's top executives were divided over that dark film's commercial prospects, and it was eventually shelved.

The studio subsequently hired "Charlie's Angels" director McG (whose real name is Joseph Nichol) to direct a pure "Superman" story, with J.J. Abrams (TV's "Alias") writing the script. But once again the project was thrown into uncertainty when McG left to make the sequel "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle." Warner ultimately hired Brett Ratner ("Rush Hour") to replace him. Filming was set to commence in spring 2003, but after a budget dispute (one price tag surpassed $200 million) and a casting disagreement, Ratner left the movie.

Then McG came back. The budget and location still proved to be at an impasse. Warner favored Australia, but McG wanted to make the movie in North America, mostly because he thought it would be more authentic and he didn't want to abandon his successful L.A. television production company. There also was the issue of McG's fear of flying, especially over water, which the studio said kept him from traveling to another continent.

The studio said that to find ways to help McG's phobia, it offered to buy out the entire first-class cabin of a Qantas commercial airliner to get the director to Australia, and then provided the corporate jet. McG's representatives said that though the filmmaker did indeed hate to fly, his phobia was not an impediment to making the $170-million film.

"When I flew to New York to scout," McG said in a statement, "I became enamored with our greatest American city. It was clear to me that this was Metropolis. As a filmmaker, I felt it was inappropriate to try to capture the heart of America on another continent."

On Sunday, Warner announced it was hiring "X-Men" director Bryan Singer and writers Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty to begin again.

Warner still believes it might make the summer 2006 release date.

"Let it take as long as it takes," said screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, who worked on the abandoned "Batman vs. Superman" idea. "No one looks back on a great movie and says, 'Boy, that took a long time to make.' "

JON9000
07-21-2004, 07:37 PM
These morons are worried Supes is passe, that no one wants to see the classic Superman character. Yet, they want to cash in on the name recognition. This position is completely illogical. This is why get stories like the one Stilla just posted.

If people go to see a movie called Superman, by golly, they expect to see a guy in blue tights and a red cape being a do-gooder. If people go into the flick and see something they do not recognize, the movie will be DOA. I won't go to see it.

Dear Warner, just because Superman IV went in the toilet doesn't mean people are tired of good old Superman. It just means that they want good Superman. Give us good Superman and we will watch with glee. Take some advice from Donner- don't mess with apple pie.

derek
07-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Dear Warner, just because Superman IV went in the toilet doesn't mean people are tired of good old Superman. It just means that they want good Superman. Give us good Superman and we will watch with glee. Take some advice from Donner- don't mess with apple pie.

i agree 100%!!! :) just pick up where superman 2 left off, and stay true to the character.

stillakid
07-21-2004, 10:56 PM
If people go into the flick and see something they do not recognize, the movie will be DOA. I won't go to see it.

Dear WB,

See Catwoman.

Sincerely,
SAK

JON9000
07-21-2004, 11:43 PM
I have an idea for a good director for Superman. RICHARD DONNER. And it would really drive the Salkinds nuts, if they are still around.
GOOD NEWS!

Here is something I did not realize. Lauren Schuler Donner produced X-Men. (If you ever watched the extra features on X-2, she's pretty hot for an older woman). LSD (he-he) is none other than the wife of... Richard Donner! And they are going to produce Superman! Talk about Supercalafragilisticdelicious irony! The Salkinds ditched Donner, now he and his wife are the producers! Maybe this will be cool after all.

Alls I'm saying is that Donner obviously had a love and vision for the character, and I doubt they would have brought on Singer had he felt differently.

On a sadder note, they are not getting Johnny Williams to do the score. This is a downer. The score for the first Supes movie is, IMHO, one of the most memorable I have ever heard.

Here's the news:http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=3922

RooJay
07-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Finally, great news in regards to the new Superman film! Even though I'm unsure of Singer's fit in the project as I'm most familiar with his work on enesemble projects (Superman being a solo character as opposed to the teams of X-Men and Usual Suspects), and even though I lament his departure from chronicling the film adventures of the X-Men (I'm certain this will lead to disappointing repercussions for the X franchise), it's great to see a director of such respected caliber finally taking charge here. Still, I'm betting Singer will do an excellent job when all is said and done - providing he is given free reign by the studio. Being that I've always cared much more for Superman than I have for the X-Men (let's face it, not only was he the first superhero, but also one of the best and longest lasting archetypes in the genre), I'm more than willing to see Singer make the move. I also like the suggestion another poster made about Shyamalan taking over where Singer has left off with the X-Men; Night would be the perfect choice for the merry mutants! I'm still not liking many of the rumors I'm hearing regarding the movie, but the addition of Singer is definitely a step in the right direction.

About the notion of this one continuing where Chris Reeve's Superman left off - I'll be okay with that as long as they don't make a point to draw direct connections between that series of films and the new. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved the old movies and Chris Reeve did an absolutely perfect job in the role, but this should be the new Superman. The character has changed a lot since those films, and for the better if you ask me. Those were simpler times and the lighthearted approach to the character worked back then, but this Superman should be a bit more serious, in my opinion. I don't mind at all if the forsake the origin story as long as we don't have to see the goofy Clark, the inclusion of all the goofy extra powers (the "kiss of forgetfulness", the amazing, expando s-shield trap, etc.) and the inept, comical Lex Luthor and his bumbling sidekick Otis. Like I said, those were entertaining for the time, but this should be a new Superman for a new time.

If this one turns out anything like Batman Begins is already shaping up, I already can't wait to see it!

A personal note to Brian Singer: cast Supes with an unknown if you have to - just make sure you cast for the sake of the character rather than marquee recognition - whoever he is, he should look the part as well as be able to act the part. My suggestions for the rest of the cast: Jessica Biel as Lois (although the rumored Scarlet Johansson would be great also, and she's probably the better actress anyway), Jason Issacs as Lex Luthor (there is no one in this world better for the part), and Seth Green as Jimmy Olsen. ;)

stillakid
07-26-2004, 09:48 PM
I also like the suggestion another poster made about Shyamalan taking over where Singer has left off with the X-Men; Night would be the perfect choice for the merry mutants!

Ma...y....b.....e......if.......you.......want.... ....ed.......ever....y.....one......to......talk.. .....rea......lllll....yyyyyy.........slo.....wwly ......as.......if.................the........story ........was...........get................ting..... ........cr.............eeeee...................eee eee.................pppp...................y...... .......or..........some..........thing............ ... :sur:

RooJay
07-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Maybe, if that's your opinion of how people sound in M. Night's movies. Just seems absurd to me that someone might even have that notion. In other words: Ye...s.....tha..t's.....ex.....act....ly....how... ..I......w...a....nt.......ev.....ery.....one..... .to......tal....k.

stillakid
07-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Maybe, if that's your opinion of how people sound in M. Night's movies. Just seems absurd to me that someone might even have that notion.

Have.....you......seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen....an..... .....y................of............his........... ..mo..................vies?

RooJay
07-30-2004, 08:43 PM
I own all but one of 'em (it only just came out in theaters), and I've enjoyed each one better than the last. I'm actually hoping he gets the gig more and more with....ea..ch..........pa.....ss...............in ....g...................post. :smoker:

stillakid
07-30-2004, 11:33 PM
I own all but one of 'em (it only just came out in theaters), and I've enjoyed each one better than the last. I'm actually hoping he gets the gig more and more with....ea..ch..........pa.....ss...............in ....g...................post. :smoker:

Certainly, hats off to M. for setting himself up with this schtick. He's one of a very few filmmakers who get studio funding to do his own movies his way. More power to him. I wish there was room for more.

SithDroid
08-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Honestly, I can't say I am thrilled about a new Superman film. I grew up a Marvel Fan and it seems to me that so far, only the Marvel Movies have been doing things right. Hopefully if Singer is indeed going to be the director then we can at least hope for some decent casting for the role. The idea that Nicholas Cage was gong to play Superman was ridiculous. He was completely wrong for the role, so I'm glad that hw will not be Superman. As for the story, it would be nice to actually see Superman fight a Super Villain. Superman 4 was not that great and the villain was lame and the 3 villains in Superman 2 were ok, but nothing special. I'd like to see Doomsday or Bizzaro. Hopefully however it is done that it will turn out good.

Hellboy
08-15-2004, 03:59 AM
According to MovieWeb.com MTV is alluding that "Smallville" star Tom Welling may be up for the role of Superman.

Welling told reporters at Sunday's Teen Choice Awards that he's signed on for a movie but is not allowed to discuss it, fueling rumors that he will star in "X-Men" director Bryan Singer's new Superman movie. "I'm sworn to secrecy," Welling said with a smile. "It's to early." A spokesperson for Warner Bros. said the role had not yet been cast. Welling, In the meantime, will continue playing Clark Kent on the small screen. "We have a couple new characters (this season)," he said. "Lois Lane will be visiting Smallville, which keeps things interesting for Clark...And Clark isn't necessarily earthbound this season."

Meanwhile, 20th Century Fox has terminated it's two-year deal with Singer because of the director's decision to take on "Superman," which is owned by Warner Bros. Singer and studio had been in discussions for a third "X-Men" movie, but a deal was never finalized.

http://movieweb.com/news/news.php?id=4854

I sure hope this rumor comes true because Welling would be perfect. :)

Beast
08-15-2004, 12:00 PM
I don't know about that HB. Singer just announced a massive casting call to cast Superman, so it looks more likely that he's trying to find an unknown. Instead of going for the 'safe' choice of Welling. I think that's a better choice, since the movie should stand on it's own. Instead of depending on Smallville to succeed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
08-18-2004, 01:06 AM
Nothin' "safe" about that choice. I personally go to bed every night praying that I won't wake up in the morning to find Tom Welling cast as Superman.