PDA

View Full Version : Would you prefer a unified forum for older Hasbro lines, or separate?

JediTricks
07-19-2004, 10:36 PM
This poll is asking you, the forum users, your opinion on a proposed change to the forums, your vote will weigh heavily in the final decision.

Since Hasbro restarted the Star Wars figures back in 1995, there have been several different names for the line, each change representing some sort of shift in marketing or collecting. Some have been offshoot lines while others have been all-encompassing; in all there have been around 7 lines retired in the modern line, 5 of which SSG has separate forums for:

Power of the Force 2
Episode I
Power of the Jedi
Clone Wars
Saga
With the passage of time, these sections will get used less and less while still taking up space on the main forums page. Today's poll asks whether you think these retired modern lines' forums should be compressed into 1 forum, or should they remain separate. It could be done either as:

Hasbro Modern Era - Retired
1995-2004; POTF2, SOTE, EU, Ep I, POTJ, CW, Saga
- or -

Hasbro POTF2, Ep I, POTJ, Saga
1995-2004
Do you prefer either of these? Perhaps you have another idea that could work. Or should things just stay the way they are for now? Post here and let us know.

Kidhuman
07-19-2004, 10:45 PM
In the immortal words of Paul McCartney...Let it be.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-20-2004, 10:08 AM
seperate....SEPERATE....SEPERATE

what's the reason to put them all together? It makes no sense to me. Just curious why this poll came up??

:)

LusiferSam
07-20-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm semi indifferent. I wouldn't mind having the discontinued lines as one forum (they so little activity any way), but the current lines should be kept separate. I'm not sure what the big deal is any way, its already been done for the 12" dolls. What difference would it make for the 3 3/4" figures?

jedi-cpa
07-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Leave them separate. If you ever have a ? about an Ep I item, it'll get completely lost in a sea of everything else.

Don't do it!!!!!

If anything, I think they could use more catagories.

JediTricks
07-20-2004, 07:43 PM
what's the reason to put them all together? It makes no sense to me. Just curious why this poll came up??Steve and I have been discussing this for a while, some folks have asked for it. If you look at the main forums page, there are a TON of sections. Hasbro POTJ, Ep 1, and POTF2 have had precisely 9 active threads in the past 2 months... combined. We don't have separate sections for any vintage lines or the 12", so why keep around forums for these?

I'm semi indifferent. I wouldn't mind having the discontinued lines as one forum (they so little activity any way), but the current lines should be kept separate. The active lines would be kept separate, that was stated originally, this is only about retired lines. Or do you mean recently-current lines such as Saga & Clone Wars? They're retired too now, aren't they?

Leave them separate. If you ever have a ? about an Ep I item, it'll get completely lost in a sea of everything else.... If anything, I think they could use more catagories. A "sea" of everything else? There aren't that many active discussions in any retired section but Saga right now, I highly doubt anything would get lost in the retired section. But we'll take your comment under advisement.

What other categories would you suggest?

mastermatt24
07-20-2004, 08:22 PM
I vote to keep them separate. Even though they take up space and would take up less if unified, whats going to in with the "new" space? I cant think of any new fourm topics, so I see no reason to combine them..

Kidhuman
07-20-2004, 08:51 PM
What other categories would you suggest?

OTC
SAGA
CW(especially with the possibility of more next year)
POTJ& EP1 and STAR TOURS(only combined sections)
POTF2
VINTAGE
12"
LEGO

Hellboy
07-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Separate for sure, the more categorized the better.

Some of these "retired" sections may not see much activity but the separation of the lines just lends to the boards organization. Everything has it's place and I think it works rather well as it is.

The only reason I could see for unifying the lines would be if the goal of this site was to create a message board that didn't revolve around Star Wars.

JediTricks
07-20-2004, 11:14 PM
Mastermatt, NOTHING would go in that space, the front page of the forums would simply contract by a few sections making it a little more streamlined. The older threads in those sections would not disappear BTW, they'd just move into the unified section.

The only reason I could see for unifying the lines would be if the goal of this site was to create a message board that didn't revolve around Star Wars.I don't understand that argument, this isn't the Collectors Database, the forums are about active discussion topics. We don't have a separate forum for Vintage lines Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ, and POTF1, so why not have a "Modern Retired" section for POTF2 and POTJ and Ep 1? I don't see how it'd be less Star Warsy, we don't have sections for Playskool (anymore ;)) or Icons or Rubies sections either.

Hellboy
07-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Well maybe I'm not fully understanding the idea. :confused:

The way I understood it was that all of these retired lines would share the same page. If thats the case I like the separation idea more because IMO its divided up more and because of that easier to navigate. Now if you were looking to make a retired section that still had all of the lines in their own sub-categories then I'd like that. I just would rather see each line have it's own page even if it only has a few topics on it. Having them separated just makes it feel more like the main focus is on Star Wars toys, to me anyways.

LusiferSam
07-21-2004, 10:55 AM
The active lines would be kept separate, that was stated originally, this is only about retired lines. Or do you mean recently-current lines such as Saga & Clone Wars? They're retired too now, aren't they?
Yes, this is what I meant. Keep Sage and CW separate until they cool off. Sage is still pretty active, I have no clue about CW, but when they drop to a certain actively level roll them in with the other retired lines.

We don't have a separate forum for Vintage lines Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ, and POTF1, so why not have a "Modern Retired" section for POTF2 and POTJ and Ep 1?
My thoughts and reasoning exactly.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-21-2004, 12:23 PM
NOW I understand! I was thinking along the lines of the collectors database. God nows why?? :confused: SORRY! :nerv:

I still think that I would like to see them separated though because if one wants to "go back" in time and check things out, maybe has a question regarding one of these lines, then it would be easy to get to. If they are all pulled into one category, I think it would make it very difficult to go back and look for specifics and sort things out.

:)

JediTricks
07-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Hellboy, having an entire separate "retired" section was one of SirSteve's ideas, but I don't like it because it would make the main page actually a little BIGGER.

LusiferSam, that's why I put the middle option into this poll. :D Anyway, I getcha now.

Deoxy, wouldn't the search function make that easier? This would actually work in favor of collectors who aren't sure of which line something was in, POTF2 or POTJ for example.

stillakid
07-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Deoxy, wouldn't the search function make that easier? This would actually work in favor of collectors who aren't sure of which line something was in, POTF2 or POTJ for example.

It would make it easier if the search function worked 100% of the time. But how do you know what to type in the box if say, you had a question that went like this: Episode I exclusives at Toys R Us. Looking at that search question, I can tell you that it would get rejected immediately because of the "I" and the "at" for being too short. Then you've got the problem of lazy collectors who prefer to type in shorthand, so "Episode I" becomes "Ep I" or "TPM" and "Toys R Us" becomes "TRU." Toss in a few OTCs, VOTCs, HOFs, and HTFs and who knows if you'll come up with the information you want to look for.

At first I thought that you might as well merge the retired lines, but after thinking about it, separate is better given Deox's reasoning above.

JediTricks
07-21-2004, 07:53 PM
I think the system would go forward with the search and just kick the short words to the curb. Still, this is the forums, not the CDB, so I don't think you would find a thread about that the way it is now. You guys are talking about looking through HUNDREDS of thread titles for a thread that may have never been discussed in the first place. I dunno, it just doesn't make much sense to me, but it looks like "separate" is the winning vote anyway.

Kidhuman
07-21-2004, 09:59 PM
POTF2 was a huge line, so was Saga,, leave them seperate. POTJ, EP1 and Star Tours are short run lines, so I say combine them. CW can be revived next year when they make the new cartoons, so leave that one as well. Heck, even combine the silver figures section with POTJ, EP1 and Star Tours

stillakid
07-21-2004, 10:58 PM
I think the system would go forward with the search and just kick the short words to the curb.

Is this a new Search engine? It currently kicks the lil' words to the curb now. Meanie search engine. :frus:

JediTricks
07-21-2004, 11:00 PM
But POTF2 ended 5 years ago - the line will always hold a special place in my collecting heart, but it's still a line that ended half a decade back. POTJ was amazingly influential in it's relatively brief life, and that forum has far more posts than POTF2 (though this is also due to the fact that these are the new forums).

Deoxyribonucleic
07-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Is this a new Search engine? It currently kicks the lil' words to the curb now. Meanie search engine. :frus:

This is SO true!

I just searched for the "Post a picture of yourself" thread in those exact words and the search engine gave me a BIG HUGE ZIPPO (yeah, I have it right here in my hands, too bad I don't smoke) hehe *just a little "sleepy" humor hehe :nerv:

Seriously though, Stilla is right about that search engine. If it worked well, then it might be easier, but it doesn't work good at all and people DEFINITELY tend to go for the easy road typing in all those blasted acronyms which will never work. If the separate sections are kept, one can just go to that section and lookup what they want. If they don't know what line the figure is in (where the hell have they been???) they can use the CDB also to check in the listings there, then go to specific sections of the forums to go see what's been talked about or whatever it is they want to know.

But that's just my Cha-CHING two cents. Actually, that was a dollar's worth of info. ;)

;)

Kidhuman
07-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Seriously, the search engine dopesnt help. I would rather go back and search the threads from the last year or so to find what I am looking for. It is alot easier.

dr_evazan22
07-23-2004, 02:02 PM
As your only asking about the forums and not the CDB, then I said consolidate them. Usually what is posted seems to be lists of figures that someone is trying to get rid of, spammed across all the different forums.

I would say keep the current line (now OTC) and the last line (now Saga) with their own forum, as well as a forum for exclusives, which could include Star Tours, Target's CW, and Silver Editions.

JediTricks
07-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Deoxy, I just searched "post a picture of yourself" and it came right up, 2nd result. If I had narrowed the search parameter using some of the advanced tools, it would have been #1. But I will take your guys' comments about the search engine under advisement.

Seriously though, how many folks actually look through those older sections?

Kidhuman
07-23-2004, 10:15 PM
I do. I search them and read through them when I am up late at night. I also check every new thread that pops up in them.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Deoxy, I just searched "post a picture of yourself" and it came right up, 2nd result. If I had narrowed the search parameter using some of the advanced tools, it would have been #1. But I will take your guys' comments about the search engine under advisement.

Seriously though, how many folks actually look through those older sections?

I did the same thing and it came up saying (in so many words) that the words "a" and "of" well basically that there's too many of those words in the thread and it couldn't look it up then I did "post picture yourself" and still nothing. Lastly I did "post picture" and it came up second. *shrugs shoulders

That's not the first time that's happened with searches BUT perhaps it is user error on my part but I am putting these things in parenthesis. Ah well. ;)

JediTricks
07-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Parenthesis, do you mean quotes? I'm not sure the sytem recognizes parenthesis.

I thought the problem might be because I'm a mod the search system gives me more access, but I just did it with a test account and it came right up.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-25-2004, 08:26 PM
woops, yes quotes...it's like left and right for me, I always get those two mixed up word wise :stupid:

Well, I don't know what to tell you, except that it doesn't work well for me. But anyway, that's beside the point now. I think the whole reason I'd like to see them separated is because if I need info from a specific line, I can go right to it. But of course, just my opinion. You guys who run the forums likely know what will and will not work better on them. Even so, it is nice of you guys to ask us what we think and get us involved! :)

So far though, it seems most of the people who have taken the time to answer want the lines to stay separate. Just something I noticed ;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I think the forums are a little convoluted right now, but the problem is not with the older lines, I think Vintage, POTF2, POTJ, Ep1 and Saga/EpII should all have their seperate forums, but certain forums out there need to be consolidated, like possibly eliminating the 12" line and any posts can be incoporated with the line/era they were produced during. The Silver and Star Tours are unnecessary in my opinion; any posts regarding them can be again, posted in any classic figure line thread. The Clone Wars figures, despite being short lived, was it's own line and deserves it's own forum, just like the OTC/VOTC should have their own seperate forums.

Consilidating the classic lines, like Vintage, POTJ, POTF2 are a possible alternative, as traffic in those threads are not as strong as they were. Either way, bottom line, less is more; the less forums I have to breeze through, the better it will be. :)