PDA

View Full Version : New pic of Chewbacca 12" in new Insider

dindae
07-20-2004, 08:17 AM
The new Insider has a picture of a new 12" Chewbacca. It is the one from the Comic Con poster shown earlier. It looks better than the last attempts.

Ji'dai
07-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah, he looks alright. The mag says Chewie will be a Kay Bee Toys exclusive. Looks like those overpriced Gammorean Guards will be getting company soon!

PoweredConvoy
07-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Can anyone post a pic? Thanks!

Randy

Ji'dai
07-20-2004, 10:07 AM
OTC 12" Chewbacca pic from SW Insider:

Slicker
07-20-2004, 11:40 AM
The head sculpt is a lot better although for the most part overall it still looks like the Power of the Jedi Chewie.

mrpauldeeds
07-20-2004, 03:18 PM
i dont really like it...the plastic 12" chewie doesnt appeal to me. if it was softgoods, with fur, now that i would buy.

JEDIpartner
07-20-2004, 03:53 PM
I saw that in my Insider yesterday and thought it was the VOTC 3.75" figure. When I read it was the 12"... I about died. Tragic.

JediTricks
07-20-2004, 09:59 PM
I disagree Slicker, this one has way different articulation. I don't like that it looks like it's missing elbow articulation and the hips look like the dreaded V-Crotch, but it looks a little better than Ally McBacca.

Turbowars
07-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Hasbro,:cry: we need to talk. Please set a few minutes a side for me at the SDCC. I'm not sure if I should cry or laugh my @ss off.

Exhaust Port
07-20-2004, 10:52 PM
A plastic chewie will never fly for me.

Captain Obvious
07-20-2004, 10:55 PM
I think it's ..... better...but...dad blast it, who am I kidding? I'm buying this one.

Jedi Master Silas
07-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Why Why WHY?! I hate it. I might pay a nickle for it then again..... :rolleyes: :dis: :dis:

Jedi Master Silas
07-21-2004, 12:30 AM
I agree with MRPAULDEEDS. If it had fur I would buy it. But if it is a Kay Bee Exclusive and they jack up the price I would have to think about it...

AmanaMatt
07-21-2004, 10:28 AM
That fig is a great example that I do not collect Hasbro's 12"ers. Good head on crap body.

skeeziks22
07-21-2004, 12:03 PM
The first 12" Chewie with the furry body was hard to come by and in my opinion the best of the bunch. Granted, the fur made him look a bit bulky, but was so much better than solid plastic... all the rest of the 12" line has soft goods where appropriate so why not Chewie? I own two 12" figures... the vintage Chewie and the soft goods Chewie... in my opnion they are both better than the modern plastic ones.

ronhudy
07-21-2004, 12:21 PM
That fig is a great example that I do not collect Hasbro's 12"ers. Good head on crap body.

My thoughts exactly...

derek
07-21-2004, 02:58 PM
chewie looks suprised........i'll pass, it sucks

Tycho
07-21-2004, 03:50 PM
I have 2 extra 12" Furry Chewies (Action Collection - Chewie in Chains) that I could help someone out with if they want that one.

I was sort of saving them in case they made a 12" Bespin Leia and re-did Bespin Han (I have an extra Lando - his figure wasn't THAT bad).

Anyway, the other furry Chewie I could save for E3, but??? If I can help someone, PM me.

In any case, I kind of like this new Chewie from the small picture I saw. His head sculpt's better, as is his articulation and body proportions.

However, use a version like the VINTAGE KENNER 12", and put a nylon over it (with more articulation in the plastic underneathe of course) and then sew fur into the nylon so it's form-fitting. Now does that sound costly to make? Issue one of those $100 books with the Ultimate Edition Chewbacca, and many of us will pay if it's worth it. We've seen 3 failed attempts in the modern era (though the furry ones aren't half-bad compared to what's happening on the plastic side).

So what's it going to be?

I WANT A GREAT CHEWIE!

Bacta Beast
07-21-2004, 06:10 PM
I agree with Tycho.

JediTricks
07-21-2004, 07:09 PM
The first 12" Chewie with the furry body was hard to come by and in my opinion the best of the bunch. Granted, the fur made him look a bit bulky, but was so much better than solid plastic... all the rest of the 12" line has soft goods where appropriate so why not Chewie? I own two 12" figures... the vintage Chewie and the soft goods Chewie... in my opnion they are both better than the modern plastic ones. You seem to be forgetting about the 2nd POTF2-era 12" Chewie, who was also furry but had a removable chain around his neck. That one was much easier to find.

However, use a version like the VINTAGE KENNER 12", and put a nylon over it (with more articulation in the plastic underneathe of course) and then sew fur into the nylon so it's form-fitting. Now does that sound costly to make? Issue one of those $100 books with the Ultimate Edition Chewbacca, and many of us will pay if it's worth it.The vintage figure is a cross between a frightened Ken doll & a friggin' robot: http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=649 You stick a skin over it with rooted hair and it's gonna cost a LOT more to produce, especially if you want any facial features to show through. Every single one of those stupid overpriced book-n-figs went on clearance, why would either Hasbro or the book publisher want to do yet another one that they'll end up taking a massive loss on?

Honestly, I do not understand this desire for hairy action figures, that's not an action figure, it's a plush toy! How can anybody look at this POTF2-era 12" Chewie and not find it ridiculous-looking? http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=716
It looks SILLY! It looks like a Chow-Chow dog, not a wookiee. I certainly wouldn't want more of that.

Exhaust Port
07-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Actually if the head was better and the fur was tamed down a bit that furry Chewie wouldn't look that bad.

Bacta Beast
07-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Just my opinion but I think that the 12" figures would sell better if Hasbro made them look like they put more than 5 seconds of planning into them.
I myself, pick & choose wich ones I buy, mostly based on how they look. And frankly, a lot of them have been crap, heads too big here, lack of articulation there, can't hold it's own weapon on another. Hasbro doesn't have any buisness griping about lack of sales for their 12" line until they start putting out some decent product. We tell them what we want they just won't listen! And it's not hard stuff we're asking, it just takes common sense! Did they even look at the color of the new Boba Fett 12"?!!!!! Why did they think for a second that that color would be "just fine" with the collectors?!!! Did they ever try to fit a bowcaster in a 12" Chewie's hand?!!! They couldn't have because you can't!!! And that goes for the plastic "Endor" model, not the furry ones, those were a joke! They should have been embarrased to put that crud out with their company logo on it!
And by the way, those "Masterpiece" book sets were way over priced to begin with! If they had started them at a more reasonable price point, maybe more retailers would have picked them up. And, maybe more would have sold.
I never did buy the Anakin one (missed the clearance sale) and I didn't buy the other two until they were clearanced.
Anyway, that's just how I see it. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
07-22-2004, 12:07 AM
The Masterpiece books were marketed by... um... (*gets up and looks at Anakin book*) Chronicle Books, who if I'm not mistaken put out the fantastically-awesome but also extremely expensive SW Chronicles. So I'm NOT surprised that they were overpriced, not by a longshot (especially when you consider that they weren't marketed as toys or even in toystores, so they had a smaller run).

EP, you forgot to mention that Collectors Series Chewie would also have to gain like 3 inches in height, add that to your list and you have an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT FIGURE! ;) Which still would be a stuffed animal IMO.

JEDIpartner
07-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Yeah... the furry one is a bit :rolleyes: and the vintage one is a bit :eek:. I can't understand why they are having such design issues with the modren 12" figures, though. It just astounds me that they cannot seem to get ANY of the heads or proportions correct!!!

Tycho
07-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Maybe they could do a great 12" sculpt, perforate the body and stuff the insides with seeds, and then you grow his "fur" like a Chia Pet? :D

Captain Obvious
07-23-2004, 08:04 AM
I'll take two Chia-bacca's over the OTC 12" luke. Have you seen that thing?

OC47150
07-23-2004, 11:49 AM
The head/face looks great. The rest of the body, well....

I think if the ball joint at the shoulder wasn't as obvious, it would be better looking.

JEDIpartner
07-23-2004, 12:44 PM
I'll take two Chia-bacca's over the OTC 12" luke. Have you seen that thing?
Oh! That thing is DIRE!!! What's going on with that sad lipstick he's wearing. That ridiculous smile makes the headsculpt total cack!

JediTricks
07-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Seeing Steve's pictures of 12" Luke the other day are really disturbing, this figure looks terrible up close. He's a freaky smiling weirdo, like a Ken doll and Michael Jackson had a baby or something.

Veers
08-07-2004, 10:51 AM
I think that Chewie looks good.

Kyle Katarn
08-07-2004, 02:05 PM
I think the figure is good but it would be much much better if it had real fur and not only plastic, however this Chewie is nice.

Ji'dai
09-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Chewie is available for pre-order at KB Toys.com; due to ship Nov. 15:

http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/2739259/ctid/17/INstock/N/D/

Darth Cruel
10-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Being my favorite character, I am still waiting for the perfect Chewbacca figure.

Exhaust Port
10-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Chewie is available for pre-order at KB Toys.com; due to ship Nov. 15:

On sale Nov. 16th because no one will buy it. ;)

Kidhuman
11-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Here is the Link to Hasbros's page with Chewie on it. Looks decent.

Hi!!! (http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.news/id.1112/dn/default.cfm)

ANEEL
11-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Here is the Link to Hasbros's page with Chewie on it. Looks decent.

Hi!!! (http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.news/id.1112/dn/default.cfm)
IS THIS THE CAME AS THE POTJ OR NEW ONE?

Turbowars
11-02-2004, 08:08 PM
IS THIS THE CAME AS THE POTJ OR NEW ONE? I believe you mean POTF2 version, but no it's a all new sculpt and they still didn't get it right.:rolleyes:

Darth Cruel
11-02-2004, 10:03 PM
I saw a custom Chewy at Frank-n-Scalpers here in SoCal. It was an absolute perfect likeness right down to the two-toned fur. And it was done with faux fur. I would have bought it but for the 500 dollar price tag.

Exhaust Port
11-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Are there any pictures?

Kidhuman
11-02-2004, 10:27 PM
I linked to it in my post. Only in the box right now.

Turbowars
11-02-2004, 10:33 PM
I think me means the custom one Kid.

I saw something like that at a local collector store in LA. It's probably the same one, but what I hear, the maker used the POTF2 12" plastic chewy for the base.

Veers
11-13-2004, 07:08 PM
I love the package.

Veers
11-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Here is the link to the 12" Chewbacca. I love the package.

http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.news/id.1112/dn/default.cfm

Slicker
11-14-2004, 05:43 PM
That's quite nice. I thought with this initial release they were gonna retire the line instead of keeping it going. I'm not complaining but I would rather not see Hasbro run another them into the ground.

Kidhuman
11-14-2004, 08:24 PM
If Hasbro could go back to figures like Dooku, Zam and others from theat time period, it would be great. To me it seems they raised the price and gave us shoddy quality. :rolleyes:

tagmac
11-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Well, this is just great. I didn't pre-order it cuz I figured I'd just wait til the stores got it, and now all the KB's in my area are closing down. I'm doubting they'll be getting them in at all now (since when do any closing stores get in new stock), and the website no longer has it listed for sale.