PDA

View Full Version : Official Hasbro Episode III Packaging Revealed!!!

Beast
07-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah, we have a generic packaging thread. And if the mods want to merge this into it at some point, that's cool. But this is the first picture of the actual 'Hasbro' Episode III packaging. So I sorta felt it deserved a thread all it's own. It was revealed just a few moments ago on the Official Website. Also confirms one of the General Grevious figures will have an 'Action Feature'. I know the current OTC packaging is sweet, but this looks pretty badarse to me. :)

http://www.starwars.com/community/feature/20040720/indexp12.html#1

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plo koon 200
07-24-2004, 05:04 PM
I like it. At least it is its own independant line. I have a feeling that the OTC will continue, I hope.

This packaging is cool and I am glad they are doing things a bit different wtih the card design. I think if it had the same card design then the OTC packaging would be too much better. But this design allows them to contrast each other.

plo koon 200
07-24-2004, 05:06 PM
You know, if you look at the bubble and the part that is not part of the bubble it kind of looks like a weiner.

Kidhuman
07-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Nice find JJB, they look great.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-24-2004, 07:19 PM
You know, if you look at the bubble and the part that is not part of the bubble it kind of looks like a weiner.
Gee, thanks for ruining the package for me. :rolleyes:;)

Other than the wiener shape, I think it looks pretty good. It's cool that they're using a different shape and design. It reminds me of the original Harry Potter line package, which I like. And the Vader is sweet!

But there's going to be more action features! :mad:

Reefer Shark
07-24-2004, 07:41 PM
It's definitely eye-catching. I'm not so sure on how I feel about the new design quite yet though.

They'll probably have to come up with another style star case to fit 'em.

-Durge-
07-24-2004, 08:13 PM
I like it alot!! I like how it is centred instead of on the side. AWESOME!!

InsaneJediGirl
07-24-2004, 08:39 PM
Very awesome packaging,A nice break away from the other lines (POTJ/POTF2,etc).Probably the best design since the old vintage packaging.

mastermatt24
07-24-2004, 10:44 PM
They look cool but: 1 , It does look like a weiner :crazed: and 2, it reminds me of the animated series for some reason... :confused:

vadersvette
07-24-2004, 11:53 PM
I don't know what to say about this package. I really like the artwork, but at the same time am not sure about the shape of the card and the bubble.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-25-2004, 12:25 AM
2, it reminds me of the animated series for some reason... :confused:

that's the first thing that went through my mind too plus it made me wonder... *my mind: Are they making EP3 (ROTS) figures animated or what??

jjreason
07-25-2004, 06:43 AM
Not my favorite. Good thing packaging means nothing to me anyway.

Kidhuman
07-25-2004, 07:17 AM
ROTS............Hilarious.

Captain Obvious
07-25-2004, 07:38 AM
This package is nice
I'm sure I'll go nuts
when it arrives.
Hai-ku for you....I need more coffee.:neutral:

Kidhuman
07-25-2004, 08:01 AM
The more I see it, the less I like it

mabudonicus
07-25-2004, 08:17 AM
TOTALLY like the animated series... I was talking to KH when he linked me to it, first thing I thought was that it looked liked the CW cartoons crossed with "Fast and the Furious"....

"the Sith and the Furious" would make a good second title choice, better acronym :beard:

Cool to see it, either way, good show :D!!

mericen
07-25-2004, 09:57 AM
That was also the first reaction I had to the way the new packaging looks. I just hope they do not use the same glue they did on the animated figures to hold the blister to the card back. It was too strong, and just about tore the blister in two when you tried to open them. But I do kind of like the new packaging but I would have just prefered them to make something like the OTC packaging instead.

plo koon 200
07-25-2004, 04:16 PM
I also thinks it looks like Animated packaging but it is still a weiner.

Jay86
07-25-2004, 04:21 PM
I like this packaging (damn Hasbro, you've got me saying that more times in just these past 6 months now then I have the past ten years collecting Star Wars figures!). Its got its own style, I mean its not like anything else thats out there right now, and if there is something out there right now thats like it, well its not doing a good job of standing out, or maybe its just that I dont care about non-Star Wars toys/figures......who knows. But I'm liking this packaging. Its definitely not what I was expecting, which is cool. Plus, like I said, its different and its got its own unique look, which looks good. As good as the OTC packaging? Psh, I doubt it. Good in its own right? Definitely.

Hellboy
07-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Well I love the artwork but the card and bubble shape are lame IMO. Seeing an actual figure on them would help me determine whether I really like the finished product but the card does seem a bit busy so I'm not sure if you'd even be able to see the actual figure. :rolleyes:

Being a MOC collector as well as a opener I see these cards taking up way to much room on my already crowded walls. Plus if you thought the square shaped cards/bubbles were hard to find in mint condition these should prove even more of a challenge. :dis:

Deoxyribonucleic
07-25-2004, 05:36 PM
I looked at it again and I really don't like it. But, as someone mentioned above, I will hold my full judgement until I see it in "real life" and with a figure in it.

It just looks real gimmicky to me. Like every other toy on the shelf. It's too busy.

JEDIpartner
07-25-2004, 07:40 PM
It reminds me of the thing the Beast (Disney's "Beauty and the Beast") kept the magical rose in. It will definitely be a very dynamic looking package.

Kidhuman
07-25-2004, 09:23 PM
I see it this way, with a huge bubble like that, it means statuesque figures again with action features and so on. Just bring back the OTC style cards with nuetral figures on them . How freakin hard is that?

mabudonicus
07-26-2004, 08:43 AM
Ahhh,funny observation (is it a joke or a mistake??).....

The name on the cardback (ROTS) is different than the name of this section, perhaps an ode to the lead-up to ROTJ, or is it the exact same situation????

:beard:

I sense a disturbance in the force

ronhudy
07-26-2004, 10:39 AM
This package is nice
I'm sure I'll go nuts
when it arrives.
Hai-ku for you....I need more coffee.:neutral:

Ummm....not to be anal, but traditional haiku is 5-7-5 syllables, not 5-5-5. How 'bout:

This package is nice,
I am sure that I'll go nuts,
when it arrives...

:)

LusiferSam
07-26-2004, 10:49 AM
I looked at it again and I really don't like it. But, as someone mentioned above, I will hold my full judgement until I see it in "real life" and with a figure in it.

It just looks real gimmicky to me. Like every other toy on the shelf. It's too busy.
I completely agree. The shape of the card is unappealing to me, the flames don't do much for me and the Vader with red eyes reminds me of the nasty '80's junk. But I may change my mind when I see it in person with a figure.

LusiferSam
07-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Ummm....not to be anal, but traditional haiku is 5-7-5 syllables, not 5-5-5. How 'bout:

This package is nice,
I am sure that I'll go nuts,
when it arrives...

:)
Better, but that last line is still 4 syllables. I don't have any suggestions, writing haiku is not a strong suit of mine. And I'll add the 5-7-5 rule is for english haiku writing, not Japanese.

Samuel Windu
07-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Disaoppointed,very surprise in this packing.Hope it is still a mock-up.

B_C
07-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Im just worried about the figure slashing action. I thought they were scrapping the crappy action features for better articulation?:mad:

bigbarada
07-26-2004, 12:29 PM
This is definitely my favorite of the modern package designs. Although it seems more like something I would expect from a foreign (non-US) card.

I would describe it as "edgy" if that wasn't such an overused and trite word.

I am kind of bummed out that it looks like there is going to be a return of the action features. So it looks we will have to wait for the 3rd or 4th resculpts of the core characters before we get the good versions. :rolleyes:

Droid
07-26-2004, 12:55 PM
I hate the packaging. I think the curved bubble is ridiculous and probably means less figures will fit in a case. I don't want action features. I worry the figures will look like cartoons. Why not stick with the OTC packaging everyone is raving about? (I know, too easy) The package is too big. The bubble should just be big enough for the figure. Everything else is a waste of resources, shelf space, and storage space.

I am so grouchy lately!

Lazer Brain
07-26-2004, 02:37 PM
its ok packaging , there just following alot of the modern anima figures i see out there with this elongated shape.
will have to see it on the pegs before i really know.
later

see my general post about the death star moon

Sinister Lord
07-26-2004, 04:39 PM
I'm not too crazy about the look of this packaging... it definitely seems like a downgrade in quality from the overall look of the Original Trilogy Collection packaging, which is very nice. Eh, too bad.

But I suppose it doesn't matter too much since I take almost everything out of the package anyway.

RooJay
07-26-2004, 07:08 PM
I don't care for it, and I'll tell you why. After finally seeing vintage style packaging come back to the line (I've always wished they'd used the style since the very first modern Star Wars figures were released), and after seeing how beautifully they turned out and how much better the style makes the figures look - even the repacks, this just feels like a major step backwards. The current packaging is beautiful and as eye-catching as it should be while still maintaining a simplicity that evokes a definite sense of class (something missing in most toylines nowadays). This ROTS packaging just looks too...loud, and not very "Star Wars" at all in my opinion. Of course, I'm definitely one for tearing open packaging and tossing it anyway, so I'm certain I can live with it. It just seems to me that the current vintage style package designs would be a much better choice both aesthetically and from a marketing point of view.

Samuel Windu
07-27-2004, 09:48 AM
New packing,then need new starcase,then need more money :mad: :mad: :mad:

TheDarthVader
07-27-2004, 07:05 PM
The packaging is not bad. It will grow on me (and probably you too) in time. Could it be that this package is just for the epIII preview figures? Remember, ep2 preview figures were in a different package than regular ep2 figures. And greivous is supposed to be a preview figure, no?

B.

Kyle Katarn
07-27-2004, 07:59 PM
I think tahat package its cool cause it differs form the others and doesn┐t have the same squared figure.

TheDarthVader
07-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Nevermind. That picture was from the official Hasbro site. All basic Ep3 figures will have that pacakging. It'll grow on me...hopefully.

Sebulba_Fett
07-28-2004, 01:54 AM
I like the packaging a lot. It's really different from the old lines, but then again I think it should be different. We've had several variations on the same concept for the past 25+ years and it's about time that Hasbro stepped in another direction. As a business decision they needed to make something a little more eye catching to the kids. I mean if you walk down the toy aisle and really look at all the fancy packaging on the competing toy lines you would agree that the Star Wars line kind of looks a little too retro. Granted that's what "we" like, but in order for this line to do well against the competition you have to make the kids wander away from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and Dragonball Z sections and spend mom and dad's money on Star Wars instead.

The only complaint I may end up having is if this spiffed up packaging makes me have to pay another buck or two to get a figure. I don't mind having to pay $5 for each figure but if the cost of having eye catching packaging is to charge me $6 or $7 per figure than I will be cursing all the way to the checkout. If the price on the animated figures was any hint than I think this may end up being true.

Sentinel18725
07-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Way too busy and way too big! I was able to get an entire collection of EPI figures in a footlocker, all carded....this I might be able to fit like 4 in one! Also, it just completely detracts from the figure how much is on the packaging. I am really enjoying the stark black of the OTC collection, but I guessthis is going the way of the Dodo bird!

mastermatt24
07-28-2004, 12:59 PM
The only complaint I may end up having is if this spiffed up packaging makes me have to pay another buck or two to get a figure. I don't mind having to pay $5 for each figure but if the cost of having eye catching packaging is to charge me $6 or $7 per figure than I will be cursing all the way to the checkout. If the price on the animated figures was any hint than I think this may end up being true.

Very True. I hope this isnt the case, but if it is im going to be really ******** off, and even madder at hasbro. :mad:

Samuel Windu
07-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Totally different style than previous.Maybe one day,I love it :D

Veers
08-09-2004, 04:18 PM
It will be hard to get to use to that packaging. I do not like it too much. :beard: