PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Ben Skywalker, post-NJO?

Tycho
07-25-2004, 03:48 AM
See the news article I posted on the main page.

But us getting five more years to watch young Ben Skywalker develop and grow up into his early teenage years? How cool is that?

How about Jaina and Jacen Solo being the stars who have come of age since New Jedi Order?

What do you guys think this new series will be about?

How do you feel about it?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2004, 10:02 AM
We kind of saw this already with Jacen/Jaina and Anakin. However, the age difference was, what, three years maybe? Now it'll be about 15 years, right. So perhaps the dynamics of their relationship (especially since their brother's not around anymore) will be different.

I think that the adults around them will not be the same, either. Many of the OTC-era characters will be elligible for their senior citizen discount at Dexter's, so they would seem to me to yield to the "younger" ones (Kyp, the twins, Biggs' brother, etc.). One major theme of the books could be accepting personal (and galactic-wide) responsibility. I do hope that there isn't a new "super villian" type enemy that mysteriously appears; I'd prefer someone or something established in the SW universe, but perhaps not so prominent (Black Sun re-emerging? the Hutts regrouping? the Chiss? the Corporate Sector? a hidden Sith cult?). Just ideas.

I look forward to them.

InsaneJediGirl
07-25-2004, 10:06 PM
I look forward to the new series as well.It will be nice to see Ben "grow up" instead of leaving him as just a mentioned character now and then.Since Ben is an only child and the son of two famous Jedi,it'll be nice to see how he handles it compared to the Solo children.

El Chuxter
07-26-2004, 11:29 AM
I think it sounds like a cool idea. Keep the galaxy moving forward!

Wonder how long it'll be until we have Yuuzhan Vong Jedi?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Wonder how long it'll be until we have Yuuzhan Vong Jedi?
But what about the for the Yuuzhan Vong?

One other aspect I thought about, is that Ben won't "grow up" like the Solo children did. Meaning, they were often conveniently hidden with Winter so their limitations as babies didn't hinder the story. I see these Ben books as a type of [i]Junior Jedi Knights series (very under-rated books, IMO).

Tycho
07-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Well, in spite of my title, I think Ben will sort of be the "B-character" in these stories, as Anakin was in TPM.

The typical main heroes are 20-somethings just like in Spiderman, Hulk, etc.

So Jaina and Jacen Solo will drive the story, and Ben Skywalker will grow up during their adventures while Mara, Luke, Han and Leia provide advice, parenting, and some extra heroics where they can, but they are now about as exciting as Cliegg Lars for an action hero ;)

mastermatt24
07-29-2004, 12:28 AM
Im all for new post NJO books. Just wanted to add- Tycho thanks so much for asking that question at that pannel. (where Sue leaked info)
Ok. one more thing...
I didnt want to distrupt this thread so:
I need a little help: Im reading the NJO series and I am on Dark Journey. When should I read Rouge Planet? Can I read Allston's books without the Zonoma planet thing being mentioned?

Tycho
07-29-2004, 01:43 PM
You can read Rogue Planet any time you want to.

It was when Anakin Skywalker was 12 years old, so enjoy it, and take that information with you while you enjoy the NJO.

It won't be really useful until the last 4 or 5 books of the NJO, although Vergere is a character earlier than that and you must realize she's an Old Republic Jedi even before Luke knows who and what she is.

I don't think I understand your second question. Allston doesn't get into the Zonoma planet mission in his NJO books. Hope that helps.