PDA

View Full Version : Kashyyyk: And the Expanded Universe continues to unravel

El Chuxter
07-26-2004, 12:38 PM
. . . well, maybe.

I'm not posting this under the "No Spoilers" section, even though that's where I'd rather be, because it is a spoiler.

I'd appreciate it if everyone could keep unrelated or major spoilers to a minimum in this particular thread. :)

The design sketches and discussion of Kashyyyk shown at the SDCC got the giant trees right. But that's about it.

Giant trees and lagoons? Lagoons? Are some of the giant Wrosshrs so tall and interconnected that actual lagoons can form in their canopies?

Lucas has always said Kashyyyk has multiple levels within the miles-high trees, with only the top levels safe enough even for Wookiees to live. But lagoons seem to suggest the ground level, where few Wookiees have ever dared tread and survived.

If the trees aren't that tremendously high and Wooks can go about freely on the ground, what happened to Lumpy when he fell into the depths? Did he just bonk his head and dream everything? :)

Beast
07-26-2004, 01:05 PM
The movies are the only true canon. The EU is great, but it's pretty much nothing more than 'What If' stories set in the Star Wars Universe. You can choose to accept them as canon, or you can toss them asside as not. To Lucas, the movies are what sets canon, and if they negate something in the books, than too bad. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-26-2004, 03:06 PM
I wonder is Chewie's family will be in Episode III, and perhaps the home from the HS :)?

PENDO!

El Chuxter
07-26-2004, 03:14 PM
The movies are the only true canon. The EU is great, but it's pretty much nothing more than 'What If' stories set in the Star Wars Universe. You can choose to accept them as canon, or you can toss them asside as not. To Lucas, the movies are what sets canon, and if they negate something in the books, than too bad. :)

Yeah, but like I said elsewhere, why approve someone else's playing around in your sandbox if you're only going to come along and kick down their castle later to make room for your improved, uh, whatever?

If Lucas is going to allow folks to come up with a very detailed description of Kashyyyk, why not later respect what was previously created? The Holiday Special may be doondoon, but The Wookiee Storybook and Timothy Zahn's descriptions are really cool.

Jay86
07-26-2004, 05:12 PM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Agreed to that. I like the EU stuff, but when it comes to the movies, those who make them get to choose. And maybe lagoons form where many of the tree's intertwine, almost like taking a leaf, pinching it and putting water in it, like a spoon? Or perhaps the battle does take place on the ground, that was my first inclination. And the Wookies cant go freely on the ground. If theres a battle down there, and many Wookies are together, then theyre alot safer in packs and groups I'd think. Who knows, just have to wait and see.

stillakid
07-26-2004, 09:58 PM

Except in the case of the Prequels, those movies are negating the previous canon, so all's fair at this point. Oh well...what else is playing this weekend? :ermm:

Beast
07-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Except in the case of the Prequels, those movies are negating the previous canon, so all's fair at this point. Oh well...what else is playing this weekend? :ermm:
There is no evidence of anything in the Prequels negating anything in the OT. Other then the nitpickings of a group of fans, who refuse to see anything beyond their point of view as possibly correct. But go ahead Stilla, bring up the same tired and boring Yoda/Obi-Wan argument. You know you want to. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
07-27-2004, 10:00 AM
There is no evidence of anything in the Prequels negating anything in the OT. Other then the nitpickings of a group of fans, who refuse to see anything beyond their point of view as possibly correct. But go ahead Stilla, bring up the same tired and boring Yoda/Obi-Wan argument. You know you want to. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

You did it for me. Thanks! I don't need to. The evidence of that and a few other things is there for anyone to see without my help. :D

[DSS]Pedr0
07-27-2004, 10:18 AM
You did it for me. Thanks! I don't need to. The evidence of that and a few other things is there for anyone to see without my help. :D
I'm missing something then. What am I supposed to see?

stillakid
07-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Pedr0']I'm missing something then. What am I supposed to see?

Well, JJB was right about one thing. It is tiring to talk about, so instead of listing the parade of problems here with full detail and description, I'll have to unfortunately refer you to the archives. I am sorry. I'm sure that someone somewhere has compiled everything in one handy to access website or something, but I haven't. Sorry. Really. :(

[DSS]Pedr0
07-27-2004, 12:59 PM
I find nothing wrong with the work GL is doing. I actually love it ALL. That's why I am a fan of his movies and not of some FANBOY's ideas.

stillakid
07-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Pedr0']I find nothing wrong with the work GL is doing. I actually love it ALL. That's why I am a fan of his movies and not of some FANBOY's ideas.

That's nice. :D Are you aware that the inclusion of Jango Fett into the Prequels is a FANBOY idea? Or did you conveniently forget that?

[DSS]Pedr0
07-27-2004, 02:24 PM
That's nice. :D Are you aware that the inclusion of Jango Fett into the Prequels is a FANBOY idea? Or did you conveniently forget that?
I was wactually referring to all the ones who say 'he should have done this, he should have done that.' " Thats how I would have done it." Stuff like that. Any NEW ideas he has or borrows from others is great. I dont mind those at all.

mabudonicus
07-27-2004, 06:37 PM
it sorta makes no sense whatsoever that the wookies were obvioulsy terrestrial bipeds, structure-wise, but never lived on the ground....

if they had lived in trees since ancient times they should have been somewhat "more different" from humans than they were... makes perfect sense that there is a floor on the planet that one could descend to, no matter the danger....

And IMO it's funny that anyone would feel slighted by EIII somehow making the HS "unofficial" in any way :beard:

If the whole EIII film were nothing but EU (or FU, however you call it), there'd be a 10 minute scene with 2-1B filled with grape soda at a roadside falafel shack in the "tatooine" part of the film (and no, Chux, that's not a spolier as far as I know, you just know there'll be at least a few minutes spent there)

stillakid
07-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Pedr0']I was wactually referring to all the ones who say 'he should have done this, he should have done that.' " Thats how I would have done it." Stuff like that. Any NEW ideas he has or borrows from others is great. I dont mind those at all.

I've never...at least I've tried not to be...one of those guys who do that. All I've ever wanted was for him to finish what he started in the way he said he would. From where I sit, the minute he started diverting from the established continuity was when I realized that we were in for disaster. I'm not looking for my ideas in the Prequels. I would just like to have seen a continuation of the story that he conceived and others wrote so long ago. In that, he has failed miserably.

2-1B
07-28-2004, 03:40 AM
Mabby Mabby Doo, that's an excellent idea ! 2-1B filled with Grape Soda ? That's an awesome idea and I can totally see where he would dispense it from, too.

Well, hopefully the droid will reflect his Vintage counterpart so the torso tube can be removed for grape soda dispensing. If they go off the POTF2 version, there might be a problem.

Oh well, I'm sure Don Bies will be around so he'll make sure it all gets done. :)