PDA

View Full Version : How does the just-announced Episode 3 title stack up?

JediTricks
07-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Late last week at the San Diego Comic-Con International, Lucasfilm announced the title of the final installment of the Star Wars prequel trilogy... Episode III's title shall be:

Revenge of the Sith

So, what do you think of the title, is it everything you hoped, totally awful, or somewhere in between? Did you see it coming or did it take you by surprise?

(please keep this thread spoiler-free)

DarthBrandon
07-27-2004, 12:38 AM
I voted it's O.K., nothing thrilling. Revenge Of The Sith or Rise Of The Empire were the only two logical & good titles to go with anyways.

giomaniac
07-27-2004, 03:25 AM
Good ending tittle, is like "Empire Strike Back"...well "Sith strike back"!!! :crazed:

Kidhuman
07-27-2004, 07:33 AM
I dont care what it is called as long as it is good.

scruffziller
07-27-2004, 08:03 AM
It is the only title it could be.:)

Dark Marble
07-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I think it is ok, when I read it I didn't shudder uncontrollably or anything. It is a good title. I am ready for the next movie and bring on the figures!!

The Eck
07-27-2004, 09:59 AM
The title works as we know the outcome, but what of the path to the outcome. Yes, the Republic melts and at least two Sith survive, but what of the others. "Dwell is darkness they do."

Darth Alex
07-27-2004, 10:16 AM
I voted "It's great...". Only logical title, really. And....already I'm sick of the net chatter making fun of the ROTS anachronym. I do believe that even if you had a poll such as this to decide the title publicly, not EVERYONE will be happy, so it's nice to see a strong title that says it all.
BTW-just say the title. Revenge of the Sith. Sounds cool, or whack or sick or whatever term of endearment us hipsters:rolleyes: are using now. The title makes me want to see the movie. Bad Guys. Revenge. Sith. What else needs to be said?
(It is a sick-whack-cool-jiggy title):crazed:

DAFLOSI1
07-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Well, after the last two I really find myself at a crossroads. The title sounds cool to me, logical choice, nothing spectacular. A title is nothing more then a title, even more so since the majority of the marketing will, in all likelihood, be done under the title Episode III, similar to it's last few predecessors. When it comes down to it the movie needs to give the fans what they need: True insight into the mythology of the classic Star Wars characters. We're finally going to see how Anakin became Vader and how Amidala secured the safety of her twins. Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones become more and more like cheap filler that managed to get all our butts in movie seats over and over. I want something with substance! If there is no substance then it just validates what we've been thinking all along: The prequels don't even come close to the original trilogy.

-Daflosi1

LusiferSam
07-27-2004, 11:32 AM
At this point in time I'd say the title is on par with The Phantom Menace. It sounds like it should fit just fine with the general theme of the movie, the birth of the Empire. So I voted for ok. It didn't send chills down my spine, but I didn't say "(censored) no. That's not the title is it?"

bigbarada
07-27-2004, 12:05 PM
I voted "It's OK but not thrilling." I guess Lucas was a little stung by all the flak he got from Attack of the Clones (which I actually liked), so he decided to play it safe. Oh well.

Just as long as it's a good movie then who really cares what the title is?

[KOC] Darklighter
07-27-2004, 01:06 PM
I think they actually found a good tittle and it fit great with the OT as follows:

Phantom Menace => A New Hope
Attack Of the Clones => Empire strikes back
Revenge of The Sith => Return Of The Jedi (originally tittle revenge of the jedi, right?)

like one is like the oposite of the other or something

Well maybe AOTC should be called : Strike of the Clones? :p

Darkness Shroud
07-27-2004, 01:19 PM
The Title works for me!! It's what i thought it could be. Gettin' excited now!!:)

jedi master sal
07-27-2004, 01:40 PM
I LOVE IT!

It totally fits.

This was one of my top 4 titles that I wanted to have.

Those being:
Revenge of the Sith
Fall of the Republic
Rise of the Empire
Purge of the Jedi

I, along with many, predicted that ROTS would be the eventual pick.

For me I called it on it's merits.
Fall of the Republic is good, but since the remnants of the Republic (ala the Galactic Senate) are still around by SW (I don't like to call it ANH, I'm an oldie so that's how I refer to it, anyway), it doesn't neccessarily fit. Same goes for Rise of the Empire. While we can glean that the Empire is established by SW, again with the Senate still being in place, it doesn't quite fit.

Purge of the Jedi is dark, but not dark enough.

Revenge of the Sith so fits with everything going on in the movie.

And of course we all draw parallels to it being reminiscent of Return of the Jedi which of course you know was originally title Revenge of the Jedi. it was changed because revenge is not a trait of a true Jedi.

The fact that the logo is basically the same, is very cool. It ties in very nicely.

I might not have jumped for joy, but it was cause for celebration anyway.

Finally a title we can be proud of BEFORE the movie comes out. BTW, AOTC has grown on me. (I still don't like the title of TPM)

-Sal

El Chuxter
07-27-2004, 03:30 PM
It throws off the parallel to the OT slightly (it should've been "The [noun] [verb] [adverb]," to parallel "The Empire Strikes Back"), but this is the best thing since sliced bread.

Actually, forget the sliced bread. "Revenge of the Sith" is better! :crazed:

mastermatt24
07-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Heck- I think Its a good title. It fits well with the other titles. I just hope its good.... :rolleyes:

Slicker
07-27-2004, 07:52 PM
I personally think the title is great. It kinda brings the whole saga together by having the logo reminiscent of ROTJ. Finally a good prequel title and it only took 6 years.

dwall16294
07-27-2004, 08:29 PM
I like the title but I have a dumb question. . .

What are the Sith getting revenge for? Did the Jedi do something to them other than the Clone War -which the Jedi lose, maybe thats it. Did the Jedi do something to them a long time ago that needs to be avenged? I though Darth Maul said in E I that they were just then letting the Jedi know that the Sith were here. I dunno!

Any idea?

Bugstar2
07-27-2004, 08:39 PM
I felt this title was too much like "Return of the Jedi" or "Attack of the Clones". . . "Something of the Something". For GL's LAST movie, it should stand out. How about "The Shadow Rises"? Or if the "of the" needs to be there. . . "Duel of the Fates" (like the music) or "Fall of the Chosen" or "Betrayal of the Force". Anyway, it is a done deal. I am just Dagobah scum. . . GL must know what he is talking about. I can't always read a book by its cover. . . The movie itself will make the story complete-- Cannot wait :crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
07-27-2004, 08:44 PM
I like the title but I have a dumb question. . .

What are the Sith getting revenge for? Did the Jedi do something to them other than the Clone War -which the Jedi lose, maybe thats it. Did the Jedi do something to them a long time ago that needs to be avenged? I though Darth Maul said in E I that they were just then letting the Jedi know that the Sith were here. I dunno!

Any idea?

I guess it's more obvious for fans of the Exanded Universe, i.e., Dark Horse Comics. Thousands of years ago the Jedi wiped out (almost) the Sith Cult. The Sith have been biding their time until they could take power, then wipe out the Jedi. Hence, the name. [Remember in TPM Maul said to Sidious, "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."]

I think the title is great. Pretty obvious to everyone, but great nonetheless. In comparison to the other 5 episode titles I like this one the best, hands down. Now lets hope the rest of the movie matches up with it.

Turbowars
07-27-2004, 09:47 PM
It's prefect and I hope the movie is too.

dwall16294
07-28-2004, 12:04 AM
I guess it's more obvious for fans of the Exanded Universe, i.e., Dark Horse Comics. Thousands of years ago the Jedi wiped out (almost) the Sith Cult. The Sith have been biding their time until they could take power, then wipe out the Jedi. Hence, the name. [Remember in TPM Maul said to Sidious, "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."]

OK. Thanks! It makes a lot more sense now. I never really got into the EU stuff.

OC47150
07-28-2004, 08:35 AM
With what he know is going to happen, the title is appropriate.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-28-2004, 02:26 PM
I voted it's O.K., nothing thrilling. Revenge Of The Sith or Rise Of The Empire were the only two logical & good titles to go with anyways.

I'm with Brandon on this one.

Turambar
07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
I voted OK, too since it comes as no real surprise. I think its the best of the prequel titles, but certainly not a shock to anyone. Everyone other than supershadow has guessed this to be the title at one time or another.

DARTH T-BONE
07-28-2004, 07:18 PM
You have to love the title. I hope the kid that wrote the paper that ended up changing Lucas' mind for the ROTJ title is happy. At last we have our "Revenge".My wife and I were in Hall H (@ Comic-Con) when they announced it. Talk about several thousand votes for "Great Title". It was awesome!!! If you are a Hyperspace member you can see the video (if you haven't already seen it 1000 times)they used to show us at SDCC. http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/video/5.html.

stillakid
07-28-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm with Brandon on this one.

I guess I'll third that or whatever. meh. :ermm: It's predictable if nothing else as a "mirror" to Return of the Jedi. Where's the "yawn" emoticon?

Kidhuman
07-28-2004, 10:53 PM
I guess I'll third that or whatever. meh. :ermm: It's predictable if nothing else as a "mirror" to Return of the Jedi. Where's the "yawn" emoticon?

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

About as close as it gets

Deoxyribonucleic
07-29-2004, 01:57 PM
:zzz: + :ermm: with a little bit of :bored: = YAWN, an emoticon we still need

;)

and that's how my vote goes for this title. Sorry folks, just can't get excited for this movie or it's title, what with the past two films that have come out previously. *shrugs shoulders.

It would be nice to be surprised, but I'm not getting my hopes up!

TheDarthVader
07-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Well I was wrong. I thought the title would have the word "twin" in it. But I like ROTS. The acronym isn't cool, but I am sure this movie is going to be awesome! I voted for okay.

B.
TDV

JediTricks
07-29-2004, 07:09 PM
I also voted for the "just OK" option, it's better than the other prequel titles but a bit too obvious, and especially about the ROTJ comparison, plus has that easily-laughed-at acronym "rots". But at least it doesn't make me cringe like the first 2.

BTW, there are posts here going back to 2001, that's before Ep 2 came out, that mention this title! That's crazy! :crazed: :p

Chaddymac
07-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Personally, I think it's fantastic. Why does everybody want a title that's not obvious? We got that with "The Phantom Menace" and I know folks that are STILL trying to figure out what that meant. And I love the symmetry with ROTJ. It's all subjective, but this title is the hamburger with cheese for me. It rox my sox. And who knows? Maybe the ROTS achronym will be like karma and the movie will be kick ***. w00t!

mini-rock
07-31-2004, 01:06 AM
Vote #407 for "it's great!"

This movie could be the best of the prequels, and the entire saga.

Knightfall
08-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Eh. It's okay; far from great, but that's what I've come to expect from the new movies. I was fond of the title "The Sith Rise Forth," but oh well. Looking back, "The Phantom Menace" is an awesome title (as much as I dislike the movie, I have to give it that). I really can't say that about ROTS. Let's just hope the acronym isn't an indication of the movie's quality.

JediTricks
08-01-2004, 07:57 PM
I hadn't heard "The Sith Rise Forth", that's kinda interesting. At first it seemed offputting, but it grew on me.