PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Titles

plo koon 200
07-27-2004, 03:32 PM
What are you favorite titles and least favorite. Rank them from favorite to least.

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. The Phantom Menace
5. A New Hope
6. Attack of the Clones (ick!)

Droid
07-27-2004, 03:44 PM
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. A New Hope
5. The Phantom Meance
6. Attack of the Clones

I like all of the titles and think they are all fitting. However, if I complain about anything it is that Attack of the Clones is a bit misleading. It suggests the Clones are against the Republic or the good guys, like they are facing the "Clone Threat". Really the clones don't attack until the last reel, and then they attack droid armies and Separatists.

But I like ALL of the titles.

mrpauldeeds
07-27-2004, 04:22 PM
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Phantom Menace
5. A New Hope
6. Attack of the Clones

i agree with Droid. Attack of the Clones was misleading. it would fit if the clones turned on the jedis in the movie, but it was a terrable decision. I think a better name for Episode II would have been "Rise of the Republic (or Jedi)" or " A Clouded Future" dealing with Anakin.

bigbarada
07-27-2004, 04:32 PM
1. Return of the Jedi
2. Revenge of the Sith
4. Attack of the Clones
5. The Phantom Menace
6. A New Hope

The ANH subtitle was tacked onto the rerelease of Star Wars in 1978 and has never really felt like a good title to me. It wasn't until 1997, with the special editions, that A New Hope was actually incorporated into the title graphics for the video or novelization. Previously, ANH was just called Star Wars (check the VHS boxes from the CBS Fox and the THX release). So referring to Star Wars as "A New Hope" or ANH just feels unnatural to me, that's the main reason it's my least favorite of the titles.

Pendo
07-27-2004, 05:23 PM
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. A New Hope
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

Although A New Hope is listed 3rd on my list, I really like that title. It think the title is quite heroic and tells of the "hope" after watching the end of the Republic and Jedi in Revenge of the Sith :).

PENDO!

El Chuxter
07-27-2004, 05:39 PM
I'm cheating and throwing in the books that I consider to be Episodes VII-IX, as well as the other movies. :)

1 The Empire Strikes Back
2 The Phantom Menace
3 Heir to the Empire
4 Revenge of the Sith
5 Return of the Jedi
6 Attack of the Clones
7 Caravan of Courage
8 A New Hope
9 The Battle for Endor
10 Dark Force Rising
11 The Last Command

Exhaust Port
07-27-2004, 05:44 PM
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Attack of the Clones
5. A New Hope
6. The Phantom Menace

The first 4 on my list are the action titles (return, revenge, strikes and attack) which have a great movie feel to them. The last 2 are the non-action titles. A New Hope is somewhat understandable as it was the first of the series to be made and did so without the benefit of knowing there would be others. TPM is just boring.

JediTricks
07-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
A New Hope
The Phantom Menace

Those last 3 are all sucking near the bottom though, and I'd like ROTS better if it weren't so blatantly a multi-faceted reference to ROTJ, and if its acronym "rots" weren't so easy to make fun of, and if it hadn't come directly after another "_____ of the ______" title.

"The Phantom Menace" isn't quite as bad as it was when it came out, but still sounds ridiculous to me, like some cheesy Scooby Doo mystery or something. "Attack of the Clones" still sounds awful I think, like "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" or all the parodies out there of that reference. "A New Hope" just has no life to it at all, it's an adequate chapter title but a weak movie title, it's a good thing Lucas didn't release the film under that title originally or we might never have gotten to ESB.

2-1B
07-29-2004, 03:30 AM
I don't think AOTC is misleading . . . it refers to a literal event in the film but it also has a grander scope in that the Clones are being released into the Republic - an entity it starts of protecting but eventually will come to conquer (that's my assumption since I see the Clones as becoming Stormtroopers).

BigB, the THX '95 release did not incorporate the ANH title into the graphics but it did list it on the spine of the VHS tape . . . and it sure did look "tacked on" for that release as well. :D

Here's my ranking, I'm tempted to put AOTC at number 1 since I love it and so many others hate it. :crazed:

1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) Attack of the Clones
3/4) Revenge of the Sith / Return of the Jedi - I love the connection so I can't choose now
5) A New Hope
6) The Phantom Menace

scruffziller
07-29-2004, 10:16 AM
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. A New Hope
5. The Phantom Meance
6. Attack of the Clones
Ditto! I see alot of us agree.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm cheating and [blah blah blah, whatever...]
Well, then if you cheat, your list is void! ;)

I do like JediTricks' list with "Star Wars" and "A New Hope" as separate titles (yes, I know titles should be in italics and not quotation marks, but only Chuxter can call me to the carpet about cheating right now! :p ), so...

1. Star Wars
2. The Phantom Menace
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. A New Hope
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Empire Strikes Back

I did not judge the titles by their films, only the sound and flow. While ESB is my favorite movie, its title is a bit weak.

JediTricks
07-29-2004, 07:51 PM
I couldn't do it any other way, growing up and then in my teen years working in a video store, the first movie WAS "Star Wars" (dang quotes ;)) and anybody who said "A New Hope" was returned with blank stares.

LusiferSam
07-29-2004, 08:54 PM
1. Star Wars
2. Return of the Jedi
4. The Phantom Menace
5. Attack of the Clones
6. A New Hope

Now for I'll reserve judgment on "Revenge of the Sith" until after I see it.

I've always hated calling "Star Wars" "A New Hope." Its just a lame name. I have and will continue to refer to the first movie as "Star Wars." And on that thought I was under the impression name addtion/change came about because of ESB. And that it was changed after ESB came out, not before.