PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro might plan on giving us 30 different kinds of Clone Toopers out of 1 mold.

Tycho
07-27-2004, 08:16 PM
As to Clone Troopers, Hasbro said that next year there will be more Clones than we can deal with.

I doubt they mean Super Articulated Clone Troopers.

My guess is that they mean the StormCloners - the halfway CloneTrooper, halfway Stormtroopers, seen in Episode 3. They have specialties like Jungle Clone, Sandtrooper Clone, AquaTrooper Clone (I'd hope but couldn't confirm), forest Scout trooper Clone, etc. etc. Don't cry about spoilers, they've been doing specialty troopers ever since Sandtroopers in Episode 4.

So I guess we'll get it like this:

Jungle Trooper Clone Capt.
Jungle Trooper Clone Cmdr.
Jungle Trooper Clone Sgt.
Jungle trooper Clone Lt.
Jungle Trooper

Sand Trooper Clone Cmdr.
Sand Trooper Clone Capt.
Sand Trooper Clone Lt.
Sand trooper Clone sgt.
Sand Trooper Clone

Repeat with forest trooper x 5, snow trooper x 5, regular trooper x 5, riot trooper x 5 - I'm already up to 30 variations for troopers predicted here.

What do you all think about this?

I myself am not threatened by this. All these Clones work for me. I will not "collect" all of them for the sake of having them, but I'll buy armies of whatever I need, most likely the lowest ranks in greatest quantities, to set up whatever specific scenes require

For AOTC, I bought:

35 Sneak Preview Clones
40 Super Articulated Clones
15 Clone Trooper 3-packs
12 or so Clone Captains
Several CW 2-packs to get more Clone Commanders as I had need for Anakin, Yoda, whoever.

So I will be buying over 100 StormCloners no doubt. I just hope the ranks and specialty troopers I want will be readily available out of the 30 or so types of variations I could feasibly see being offered due to minor paint or accessory variations.

dindae
07-27-2004, 09:09 PM
My pocketbook is wincing already. If they are going to do this they need to make them evenly available I'm talking 1 of each variant per case. Otherwise I don't want to deal with it.

vadersvette
07-27-2004, 09:42 PM
For AOTC, I bought:.....
40 Super Articulated Clones
Geez, no wonder I could never find any SA Clones! :D lol :D

B'Omarr Monkey
07-27-2004, 10:36 PM
As long as they don't release them all at once, or randomly in case assortments, I say the more the merrier. It was hard enough keeping track of all the three-packs and bonus packs from "Clone Wars." I don't need to face pegs of clones trying to remember if I have the Jungle Clone Trooper with the red dot on his shoulder, or the blue dot. Hasbro should just include a different clonetrooper every other wave, and re offer earler ones as time goes buy.

If they keep the TRU multi-packs going, these could make for some sweet sets down the road.

Tycho
07-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Well, I wasn't shopping in Ohio. Only San Diego.

Dindae, one of each evenly distributed wouldn't do us much good.

Take 100 Clone Troopers.

Let's say you do 20 scenes with your action figures that have Clones in them.

You might only use 5 Clones at a time. (sure some scenes would have more, for larger battles, but basically, keeping size of dioramas reasonable...)

Obi-Wan with Clones = 5-10
Yoda with Clones = 5-10
Anakin with Clones = 5-10
Darth Vader with Clones = 5-10
a large battle with 20 Clones...

OK, that's 60 Clones used so far.

Each group of Clones would be basic "white" Clones. But need a commander.

5 groups of Clones in this example...1 commander for each needed, so I'd buy 5 "yellow" command version Clones.

1 out of every 10 I'd want should be yellow.

So if I found a case with "straight clones of those 2 colors..." if it was half and half (shipped evenly), I'd buy:

6 White Clones, and 1 Yellow Clone (leaving no white clones behind me, and 5 yellows on the pegs).

Next case, I'd buy 4 white clones and 0 yellow ones. Now there are 9 yellow clones on the pegs, and 2 white ones. Or 11 figures.

If the store's computer (Wal-Mart's smart system) reports that there are 11 (or basically close to 12 figures) out there, they WILL NOT order more, because they have a full case in stock already. But I only have 10 or so white clones and want 60. Sure I could have purchased 2 more white ones, but it does little good that the cases are evenly split, because eventually, there will be too many yellow clones on the pegs unless someone wants an army of all commanders.

So let's go back to 60 white clones in 5 scenes or so...

5 Yellow clone Commanders

In the small groups I might use for these "tight scene" dioramas, I might still only want 1 Captain in each scene - except the large battle, I could use 2.

So

60 white
5 yellow
6 red

blues and greens might be just slightly larger numbers than that... but I don't want my scenes looking like "Rainbow Bright." I want a hardcore look, so I'd probably either buy less captains and commanders so as to have room for some lieutenients (blue) and sergeants (green), or it'd be only a few more.

So I'm at 71 with the above, and add maybe 6-8 Lieutenients and 10 sergeants, I'm still at 89 Clones.

I may not even buy or use 100 Clones, but the majority of them won't need to be equal numbers of all ranks shipped.

In a straight Clone case, I'd pack:

8 white......8 white
2 green......1 green
1 blue........2 blue
1 red.........1 red
1 yellow.....1 yellow

That's the only smart way to do it and ensure that everyone gets a fair shot at white Clones if they are to all see continuous distribution.

If a case of straight yellow clones shipped, I'd buy 5 of them and never purchase any more again. If other diorama builders have that attitude, whatever color they want to ship after yellow, could take years to reach the stores (unless others don't care what color their clones are and kids just use whatever as common soldiers, and so forth).

dindae
07-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Tycho your assuming that people buy as many as you do. I won't by that many. I will probably only buy two of each since my dioramas are not as grand and my money will be streched as it is. Now I do agree that more white clones will be needed for the army builders out there so they could do two cases.

1 green
1 blue
1 red
1 yellow
2 new fig (a)
2 new fig (b)
2 new fig (c)

and

4 white
2 new fig (a)
2 new fig (b)
2 new fig (c)

That way they wouldn't need to have a case of just clones for every one but they would be twice as many clones as other new figures. I don't have a problem with cases of clones but I think it would be a hard sell to retail especially six of them.

Tycho
07-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Dindae, your case breakdowns might work, but just one person wanting to buy Clones like I do could screw things up for you in your area.

With this case:

4 white
2 new fig (a)
2 new fig (b)
2 new fig (c)

I'll illustrate...

4 white
2 new fig (a) - Sly Moore (I want 6)
2 new fig (b) - Senator Yarua (I want 3)
2 new fig (c) - Pablo Jill (I want 2 or 3. We'll say 3)

The following figures are bought or hang, as specified....(and you used 10 figures per case examples, I thought they were 12 to a case. Oh well, we'll say 10 for argument's sake).

Case 1

4 white bought
2 Sly bought
2 Yarua bought
2 Pablo bought

Case 2

4 white bought
2 Sly bought
1 Yarua bought
1 Pablo bought
1 Yarua hangs
1 Pablo hangs

Case 3

4 white bought
2 Sly bought
3 Yarua hang
3 Pablo hang

Case 4

4 white bought
2 sly hang
5 Yarua hang
5 Pablo hang

Case 5

4 white bought
4 Sly Hang
7 Yarua hang
7 Pablo hang

case 6

4 white bought (I now have 24 Clones out of 40 I want)
6 Sly Hang
9 Yarua hang
9 Pablo hang

There are now 26 figures pegwarming (granted, others will want them that shop at my store, but they can't get Clones because I'll have them all and still want more).

Case 7

4 white bought
8 Sly Hang
11 Yarua Hang
11 Pablo hang

case 8

4 white bought
10 Sly hang
13 Yarua hang
13 Pablo hang

36 figures are hanging, and I have 32 Clones.... The store's computer's outlook is that there are over 3 cases of figures that are not selling.

Case 9

4 white bought
12 Sly Hang
15 Yarua hang
15 Pablo hang

Case 10

4 white bought (I now have achieved 40 Clones)
14 sly Hang
17 Yarua hang
17 Pablo hang

New cases will clear and new people can get clones if up to 17 people hit my store after me, each buying at least 1 of every other new figure, but never getting a Clone.

In reality, there will be people who buy 2 of each, one to keep carded. That will hasten things. So maybe it'll only take 8-9 people.

However, there will also be others besides me who will want to army build, either as big, smaller, or possibly even larger.

And we've been through this in a series of collector ettiquete threads:

I want my 40 Clones.

If I have the money, the time, and the commitment to getting them, I have every right to them.

If you are in school, or just like to sleep and not be at Wal-Mart by 6:45 am, you might want to buy 17 figures of Pablo Jill or you might not see any clones unless Hasbro decides to ship straight cases of Clones.

Or the simpler thing is if they do package figures as you suggested, then do this:

Case 1:

4 white
2 new fig (a)
2 new fig (b)
2 new fig (c)

Case 2:

4 white
2 new fig (d)
2 new fig (e)
2 new fig (f)

and so forth.

dindae
07-28-2004, 07:24 AM
Dindae, your case breakdowns might work, but just one person wanting to buy Clones like I do could screw things up for you in your area.

36 figures are hanging, and I have 32 Clones.... The store's computer's outlook is that there are over 3 cases of figures that are not selling.

While I agree it would suck to look at the crumbs you leave behind. ;) But you are the exception. As you pointed out there are 12 figures per caes so they could throw in a couple of extra white clones per case. So that would make 6 per case. Half of the cases coming out would have the rainbow clone assortment with two white clone thrown in. This would be twice the amount of clones as when the SA clones came out. Don't get me wrong I agree that the case of just clones is the ideal way to go. I just don't see it happening. I see them trying to do what they did with the clone three pack which would be horrible.

Kidhuman
07-28-2004, 07:59 AM
I dont care as long as I find them all.

aceguide
07-28-2004, 08:50 AM
I am forever a fan of armies. It just isn't a proper battle without at least 10 clones/stormies etc...

I would like to see Hasbro release all potential armies in multipacks. Then, I'd like to see them CONTINUE TO RELEASE THEM!

Say I was hunting for something new (hey - we can ll dream :rolleyes: ) and found nothing (like every day in the last month...) I would ALWAYS be good to pick up a four pack of something (clones, new clones, stormies, battle droids). So, I would then spend more money each trip out (I hope Hasbro is reading this).

As that would make a lot of marketing and distribution sense it will clearly not happen. But I can dream...

JEDIpartner
07-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Oh, just stop it already. That's overkill. I'd have to club someone at Hasblah over the head if they did that. They should just have a "customise your own soldier" internet shop!

B'Omarr Monkey
07-28-2004, 02:51 PM
I agree that it would be a bit of overkill, and that there should be a way to customize figures/vehicles for those of us who are not professional model builders (decals fro the x-wings, etc.) How many people bought the unnecessary Tatooine Lukes to get the T-16 model, the blast shield helmet, the beach hat and long rifle, etc.? Me, for one, but I'd rather have paid $10 for a deluxe Tatooine Luke that just came with all of the accessories in one package.

If they are going to put out a bazillion different clones, they should come in sets of four (just what Hasbro likes, one mold, a lot of repainting, cheap packaging, lower price for us). This might mean less of them on the shelves at a time, but they will continually sell through, and the stores won't have to contend with messed up pegs from all of use tipping through them looking for the brown and green camouflage patterned clone with binoculars, amongst the sea of green and greener camouflage pattern clone troopers with blaster rifles.

Otherwise I say whole case assortments of clones, since they're more likely to sell through, and leave the main characters and background characters to their own assortments. This would keep peg warming to a minimum. Of course it would be great, if unlikely, for the clones to start clogging the pegs so they get marked down to $2.99 a piece. Then, maybe I could afford a small squadron of troopers of my own.

jedi master sal
07-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Recall if you will the various paint schemes that were shown a few issue back in the SW Insider.

FOUR of those have been okay'ed for the movie so far.

Accounting for that with 4 different officers ranks per scheme and the "white" grunt and you have 20 different clones already.

BTW, cripes Tycho, how the heck did you get 40 SA Clones? I only got 6 and I hunt ALOT. Did you eBay for some of them?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. It would be much better to sell these as huge multi-packs rather than single carded.
Just a week or so ago, I proposed creating a 10 pack of clones (see image). The ten pack would include 1 each of the 4 officer colors and 6 "white" or in this case standard grunts.

Personally, I'd rather see there be less officer types, say only two kinds and all the rest be grunts. Sure we saw four different Paulrons for Sandtroopers in SW, but up until last year we never got them in a set and the different variations were dooled out over a few years (orange in 95, white/with cantina in what 97?, grey with dewback late nineties) as opposed to being deluged with them all at once.

Dont' get me wrong, I'd want every variation and in big numbers too, but it's getting a bit ridiculous. I am in no way satisfied with the number of SA clones that I got and the 6 or so that I have is a dang site more than many. If those were tough to find, how hard is it going to be to find every possible variation of the clones?

BTW, I've taken to calling them Transitional troopers.

ha with the "rainbow" of colors it's more like tran...er nevermind.

They should be white like the traditional Stormies and even the AOTC clones. I really don't like the color schemes. Seems to sloppy and discontinuous. (yes that's a word, look it up)

Just my opinion though,
-Sal

vadersvette
07-28-2004, 07:50 PM
I just liked back in the OT movies when all the Stormtroopers were white. I didn't know what all these different colors meant until recently.

Kyle Katarn
07-28-2004, 08:08 PM
I hope Hasbro don't release them all the same time, or that Hasbro release them in package of five cause there are many troopers to deal with.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-28-2004, 08:14 PM
It's interesting that the Empire, or whatever they are calling it in ROTS, used camouflaged armored troopers, which seems to make sense, and then later abandoned them for the all white versions. If they's had camouflage armor, then it seems that they'd at least want to use it on the scouts. How hard would it be to spot one of those guys on Endor?

Jay86
07-28-2004, 08:30 PM
It's interesting that the Empire, or whatever they are calling it in ROTS, used camouflaged armored troopers, which seems to make sense, and then later abandoned them for the all white versions. If they's had camouflage armor, then it seems that they'd at least want to use it on the scouts. How hard would it be to spot one of those guys on Endor?
Well, that does make sense. But, in the fantasy of it all, perhaps it was cheaper for the Empire to just order white armor rather than camo, especially once its numbers grew? We all know that by the time ANH comes around that the Empire has grown much larger than it will be in ROTS, so perhaps thats a possibility? And if you think about it, in AOTC/ROTS the Republic was fighting a large "enemy", so it made sense to use colored ranks and camo and stuff, etc. After ROTS, we all know that no one else but the Rebellion stands against the Empire, but its safe to say that the Rebellion isnt quite as big a group as the Seperatists, but they were a large threat nonetheless, as we all know. Plus, in ROTJ, the Empire didnt expect a threat or attack on the forest moon of Endor or the second Death Star (coupled with the fact that perhaps and most likely at that time the camo armor had been abandoned?)

And yeah, how the heck does one get 40 SA Clonetroopers???!?!!????? Damn.....well, thats all that comes to mind....is DAMN!!!! Thats ALOT of SA Clonetroopers :crazed:. To think I'm proud of the ONE that I have, let alone to think of owning 40. Tis a dream as of now :ermm:

Kidhuman
07-28-2004, 10:08 PM
And yeah, how the heck does one get 40 SA Clonetroopers???!?!!????? Damn.....well, thats all that comes to mind....is DAMN!!!! Thats ALOT of SA Clonetroopers :crazed:. To think I'm proud of the ONE that I have, let alone to think of owning 40. Tis a dream as of now :ermm:

Me too, I got a lone soldier boy, and I am damn proud of him. I should have another on the way shortly.

mastermatt24
07-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Wow.. Tycho you REALLY confused me. (please, DO NOT try to explain it again ;) ) Im all for different kinds of clones.. As long as I can find them. :crazed:

dindae- You have a PM.

mastermatt24
07-28-2004, 11:09 PM
camouflaged armored trooper
I think I know what my next custom is going to be.. If I can find a scout.. eBay time again! :D

B'Omarr Monkey
07-28-2004, 11:44 PM
Well, that does make sense. But, in the fantasy of it all, perhaps it was cheaper for the Empire to just order white armor rather than camo, especially once its numbers grew? We all know that by the time ANH comes around that the Empire has grown much larger than it will be in ROTS, so perhaps thats a possibility?

Cheaper? I guess they were cutting corners by making space stations the size of small moons, too, instead of large moons.

Plus, in ROTJ, the Empire didnt expect a threat or attack on the forest moon of Endor or the second Death Star (coupled with the fact that perhaps and most likely at that time the camo armor had been abandoned?)

Why have scouts at all then? What are they scouting for, if not to determine possible threats, or the numbers and positions of the opposition? That's what scouts are for, so it stands to reason they'd want to be as invisible as possible. White armor in a forest doesn't do it. Maybe they were scouting for coffee, or something.

I could really nitpick and ask why bother with armor at all since it clearly does not have any protective capabilities, except against mosquitoes maybe. Rocks, arrows and blaster bolts all seem to go right through it. Heck, even being thrown against a tree by Han took out one of these armored tough guys. I don't want to hear the argument of glancing blasts either. i have yet to see that happen in one of the movies to make me believe that's a common enough occurance to merit the armor.

It does look cool though.

Tycho
07-29-2004, 12:58 PM
The color WHITE is reflective.

Black absorbs, etc. etc.

They tell all the young Clones that their white armor will protect them

by reflecting laser blasts like a shield
stopping bullets or arrows, and other projectile weapons
shielding them from getting hit over the head or knifed, etc.

The "easily influenced amongst the weak-minded" believe this and go charging into blockade runners under heavy fire thinking they are invulnerable. They're fanatical and truly believe that.

What can I say? (except that I won't be enlisting as a Stormtrooper any time soon).

mastermatt24
07-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Any one have a pic of the camo trooper? :confused:

B'Omarr Monkey
07-30-2004, 12:21 AM
The color WHITE is reflective.

Black absorbs, etc. etc.

Yes. Yes. I understand that. That's why I have no bones with the white sandtrooper armor. It's pretty practical for that reason, even though it must still be hot as an oven in those things.

Sure, the hood of a white car is cooler in the sun than the hood of a black car, but that's ambient heat. I'm sure that using a heat projectile weapon like a blaster on a white car would have about the same effect as a black car.

I'd say that it would seem more likely to put everyone in identical armour for the same reason the U.S. military shaves the heads of all of its new recruits which is to strip them of their individuality. Though, if they were originally all clones, what's the point?

Ji'dai
07-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Hasbro should just release a bucket of clone troopers. They could be pre-posed without articulation, like green army men, and would make diorama building easier. The super-articulated versions (regular trooper, NCOs and officers) could still be released on separate cards with the different color ranks.

As for the all-white armor in the OT, I think by the time of ANH the Stormtooper uniform was a symbol of Imperial power and is meant to be more of a deterrant against enemy attack. The Empire's forces may stand out in just about any environment, but that's the point - the sight of a squad of Stormtroopers should be pretty imposing and deter anyone foolish enough to attack them. The Alliance was using guerrilla tactics out of necessity so they had to adopt and use camoflage to the fullest extent.

plasticfetish
08-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Sure, the hood of a white car is cooler in the sun than the hood of a black car, but that's ambient heat. I'm sure that using a heat projectile weapon like a blaster on a white car would have about the same effect as a black car.Remember though, when it comes to all of this, back in 1977 the average movie viewer didn't know an energy weapon from a laser pistol from a Buck Rogers zap gun. It made sense back then that all of the troopers would be dressed in this futuristic looking white plastic armor, even though it really seemed to have no practical purpose. (Mostly, it just looked cool.) Just the same, lasers were beginning to be understood, and most Sci-Fi geeks (and fledgling geeks) understood that white reflects light. It was a good enough idea for the time.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-08-2004, 10:09 PM
I think you hit the nail right on the head, plasticfetish--they wore it because it was cool looking!

Slicker
08-09-2004, 11:14 AM
I personally am not an army builder but I found this on ebay for those of you that are it 5 SA Clone Troopers http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50263&item=5913823761&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

OC47150
08-09-2004, 12:51 PM
I like the bucket of clone trooper idea, Ji'dai.

Army builder sets through the fan club or online stores or at least three-packs would be good.

Ji'dai
08-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Of course if they made a Bucket 'O Clones, Hasbro would probably randomly insert an exclusive "mystery" Trooper figure not available anywhere else. Collect all 30!

There are few 10-pack set of custom Clone Troopers on eBay. There are five marching and five shooting in the set. Here is one auction for them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50263&item=5913761290&rd=1

OC47150
08-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Don't give Hasbro any ideas, Ji'dai!!

mastermatt24
08-09-2004, 04:01 PM
There are few 10-pack set of custom Clone Troopers on eBay. There are five marching and five shooting in the set. Here is one auction for them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50263&item=5913761290&rd=1
Ok what are these things?? Ive seen them at scalpers and sons but the person didnt know jack, except for the price. Where did they come from?

OC47150
08-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Unlicensed bootlegs from Asia. If you stood an official clonetrooper and the bootleg side by side, you could see the differences.

I first saw these in person last year at GenCon. A vendor was selling them for like $5 each. And I want to say he sold out of them, too.

I've been tempted to buy a set just for the saluting ones.

mastermatt24
08-09-2004, 11:56 PM
If you stood an official clonetrooper and the bootleg side by side, you could see the differences.

I know.. Thats why I didnt buy them cause I thought that they wouldnt fit in at all.. :(

El Chuxter
02-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Tycho, my friend, you have proven your abilities as a prophet by forecasting this gloom-and-doom scenario.

JediPartner, I think we should hold you to your threat of clubbing the guys at Hasbro, as I'm sure we've got well more than 30 freaking Clonetroopers already, with way more to come.