PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes you hope to see corrected for the DVD

El Chuxter
07-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Okay, forgetting what you think about changes like Hayden being added to ROTJ or Ian's new lines in ESB, what are the actual mistakes (not things you think could be cooler) that you think need to be fixed for the DVD release?

1) Greedo shooting first. Regardless of how George wants the scene to be, it needs to be altered if the green guy is to convincingly shoot at Han. This is supposedly going to be addressed, but no evidence yet.

2) Han's hand passing through Jabba. We've seen the redone Jabba, but no proof he's more solid.

3) Obviously flipped scenes (especially with Boba's rangefinder) should be corrected.

4) One Sy Snootles or the other. I don't care which, but she currently changes back and forth.

5) Matte lines, particularly on the Rancor.

Hmm. I thought I had more, but can't think of them right now. Hopefully this should be a good jumping off point for others.

Edit: Thought of a good one, maybe two: Ponda Baba's arm.

First, it switches back and forth between a flipper and a claw. Second, it's the only time in the series a lightsaber draws blood.

If you want to get extra anal, maybe Ponda should have two extra eyes digitally inserted to match the prequel Aqualishes.

Pendo
07-28-2004, 03:03 PM
The crap CGI effects from '97 replaced with even worse CGI effects from 2004 :rolleyes:!

Seriously:
- Lines and boxes around spaceships removed (most noticable in the Battle of Endor, Millennium Falcon entering Death Star.

- Flipped cenes un-flipped

- Matte lines

- Han's reflection when running away from Imperial Bunker (a la Raiders)

- Transparent ships, such as the Snow Speeders (supposedly fixed for '97 but you can still see through them).

- Emperor's slug thingie

- The Ewoks

- I'd say Greedo shooting first but that wasn't a mistake, that was just a bad decision! :(

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
07-28-2004, 04:47 PM
- Lines and boxes around spaceships removed (most noticable in the Battle of Endor, Millennium Falcon entering Death Star.
For me they are most noticable the first Millenium Falcon encounter with Tie Fighters in ANH. Ugh, they cleaned them up a bit on the last re-issue but they still are quite visible to me. It bugs me everytime I see them knowing that they already cleaned them up once.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Other than the ones already posted:
*Kabe's see-through head. I don't think it's supposed to be like that!
*Lightsabers. Luke's shouldn't be white, nor should Vader's (which was fixed, thankfully). Also, Obi-Wan's shouldn't fizz out, we now know that lightsabers don't start getting messed up when fighting Sith lightsabers, or something like that.
*The Falcon's entry onto the Death Star. You can see a break in the lights where the Falcon model's pole is, it looks terrible.
*Early 1997 computer animation. Jabba looks awesome in the new version, but there's still the somewhat fake-looking dewbacks (particularly the riding sandtrooper), the rontos, the swoop, Joh Yowzah, Sy Snootles, the Sarlacc, etc.
*The Rancor scene. I think it's being re-done, but I don't know. You can clearly tell that Luke was being shot against a screen with the Rancor on it in some shots, it looks ghastly! Also the humongous matte lines, those were the only ones that really bugged me.
*The Sail Barge attack. Every time Luke hits someone with his saber, it just whacks them like a bat and they never get hurt, but fall over. If possible, let's see some severed limbs. Also, I don't think Boba Fett should scream like an idiot (maybe Tem Morrison did a better one?).

I think there are others but I don't know right now.

plo koon 200
07-28-2004, 05:34 PM
The most annoying thing for me, is the lightsabers in ANH. The lightsabers are the reason why I can't stand to watch it. The lightsabers even stand out more for me than Greedo shooting first. But, I heard that the lightsabers have been fixed, so the second big thing would be the matte lines on the Rancor.

Also, when Han looks at the Falcon and says he thinks he will never see her again. I think they need to replace that drawing in the background with an actual model.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Definitely the lightsabers, both the lack of color in ANH and the occassional shadows thrown by the rods used in filming before they were rotoscoped. Also, as said earlier, the fact that Luke seems to be fighting Jabba's thugs with a flashlight instead of a lightsaber for all the damage it does to them.

I'd have to watch through the movies again for some of the nitpicking I've had in the past. One thing that comes to mind is the AT-AT that blows up in the foreground while a perfectly stationary AT-AT sits behind it. It had a radio controlled head turn, then doesn't move at all, making it appear to be a model.

I was a little surprised that with all the tweaks given to the movies in the SE versions, that some digital touches weren't given to the muppets in Jabba's palace to make them appear less rubbery, and to make the ewoks look a little less like little people in Barbaloot suits.

Kidhuman
07-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Hayden in ROTJ.

Oh you meant the original and SE versions. say just release the damn original versions of the movie and stop F'in with them.

Exhaust Port
07-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Didn't they fix the lightsaber dual issues in the SE?

B'Omarr Monkey
07-28-2004, 11:49 PM
Not so I noticed. I'm still certain you see a shadow in the final duel in ROTJ at least once, and Darth is definitely holding a white rod when the blast doors close on him while Luke, et al are running for the Falcon.

I thought of another one. When Luke's appropriated shuttle is about to leave the death star, a big crane or piece of scaffolding crashes to the deck, and it clearly comes off as a lightweight plastic model being dropped on the floor.

bigbarada
07-29-2004, 11:38 AM
I would like to see them redo the scene where the Super Star Destroyer crashes into the Death Star. With Cg effects they could get a lot more dramatic. In the current version, everything is just hidden behind a giant fireball (open flames in space?).

Exhaust Port
07-29-2004, 01:00 PM
It would be cool to see a close up of the SSD flying into the surface of the DS. The current shot is dramatic but you lose some sense of scale of the whole explosion as all you see is the DS horizon and the SSD flying into it. A close up followed by a very distant shot that captures the whole DS, the space battle and the SSD all at once would be cool.

Of course this is just wishful thinking. :)

tagmac
07-29-2004, 02:47 PM
ANH: Fix Greedo shooting first - go back to the original way.

ESB: Replace Clive Revill's lines with Ian McDiarmid - heck, replace the hologram with Ian's face, too.

ROTJ: Fix the matte lines in the Rancor scene

The Super Star Destroyer scene might look better if redone with CGI.

AmanaMatt
07-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Well, what we won't see is the EPI CG built Jabba, as I was hoping - that, or just removing the crap scene. What the heck did they do to him now? He looks like he had awful acne. I mean, this shot looks awful.

jeddah
07-30-2004, 04:58 AM
The most important thing for me would be the B-wings flying away from their strafing run on the SSD. They're my favourite starfighters but we see such short glimpses of them. I really hope they insert that scene.

Also, the Rancor I think is the most important cosmetic change I want to see. A lot of the things raised in this thread I have never noticed.

With the rubbery monster suits and such I am philosophical in that I can suspend diesbelief. I am more concerned with actual faults that film technolgical advance issues. It's like Farscape, the first couple of seasons had some really crappy rubber creatures but as they progressed they relied more and more on cool CGI and more convincing latex puppets. I like them all and this is how I feel about SW latex puppets.

jeddah

Knightfall
08-01-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't want to see anything "corrected" in the DVDs, beyond the undoable changes that were made in 1997. I'd much rather buy a set of bootlegs of the non-SE Trilogy than an overpriced box full of "Lucas' definitive versions" that I know I'll be disappointed with.

MASTER_JEDI
08-02-2004, 04:46 PM
I would LOVE to see the claymation Taun-Tauns redone in CGI. Anyone know if they fixed them? :confused:

vadersvette
08-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Hayden in ROTJ.

Oh you meant the original and SE versions. say just release the damn original versions of the movie and stop F'in with them.
Amen to that! :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: All these changes make my stomach churn! :dead:

bigbarada
08-05-2004, 12:57 PM
There are some minor cosmetic changes that I would like to see, mostly stuff that was a minor annoyance while watching the film nothing more.

In ANH, when Artoo brings up the Death Star plans, the superlaser dish is attached to the equator of the "CG" model. While it's kind of neat to imagine the Rebels getting outdated plans for the Death Star, it would be nicer if the computer image matched the actual giant globe of death we see closing in on Yavin.

When Vader tells Tarkin "I told you she would never consciously betray the Rebellion!" we see his hand raise up in a grasping motion after he is finished talking. Now unless he is fighting off a muscle spasm, they should probably either remove the hand or do a time remap and synchronize it with the dialog.

But these are all minor quibbles and, in a way, actually add to the charm of watching the film. So, fixing them is not really necessary, but if Lucas is going to spend all of his time fixing something it might as well be this.

2-1B
08-06-2004, 02:02 AM
During the battle over the Sarlaac, when the skiff rocks and Han goes over the edge, I can see the stuntman fall overboard feet first while holding the railing. Cut to a shot of Han sliding feet first.

I'd like to see that corrected because ever since someone pointed it out to me almost a decade ago, it has bothered me ever since. :D

Hell, I went to the theater for ROTJ: SE and was hoping to see it fixed then . . . of course, they took all the time to add that stupid Little Shop of Horrors beak into the pit yet they couldn't tweak this little error ? :rolleyes:

scruffziller
08-06-2004, 07:13 AM
If you want to get extra anal, maybe Ponda should have two extra eyes digitally inserted to match the prequel Aqualishes.
You probably know already but I will say it anyway. The PT Aqualish were of a different race of Aqualish.

Didn't they fix the lightsaber dual issues in the SE?

No, and of all the things that you thought they should have fixed it would have been that. OR!!!!!!! Maybe GL intends (in his vision) that his powers becoming weak will fizzle out his saber, but no.

Even after this revamp I know that they won't get everything.:Par: :Ponder: :ermm: :Ogre:

mace78
09-01-2004, 01:41 AM
Greedo shooting first in ANH, and they need to use James Earl Jones' voice in the added Vader scene in ESB where he says to bring his shuttle!

JEDIpartner
09-01-2004, 12:18 PM
During the battle over the Sarlaac, when the skiff rocks and Han goes over the edge, I can see the stuntman fall overboard feet first while holding the railing. Cut to a shot of Han sliding feet first.

I'd like to see that corrected because ever since someone pointed it out to me almost a decade ago, it has bothered me ever since. :D
Oh... what didja do that fer?!!! Now I'M gonna notice this!!! LOL

:p

JEDIpartner
09-01-2004, 12:24 PM
I would like to see them redo the scene where the Super Star Destroyer crashes into the Death Star. With Cg effects they could get a lot more dramatic. In the current version, everything is just hidden behind a giant fireball (open flames in space?).
The other thing that sucks in this shot is that it suddenly looks like a model on a stage when the lighting increases due to the explosion.

Vortex
09-01-2004, 04:57 PM
I just wanna see the shots with Mill. Falcon cockpit have the metal dice always hanging there instead of vanishing. Better yet, scrap the metal dice for fuzzy dice.

The other little annoyance I have it when 3PO get wacked by Jabba and he takes a diggers, gets up and has green ghostbuster ecto-plasm on him. In all the shots, Jabba's skin looks dry and lizard like, so where does the smile come from? The floor? If he's going to be slimy, when Leia is pulled up to him, show her covered in slime or something, even when she's choking him, have her slip around or something. Ahh a new olympic even women's slime wrestling.

vadersvette
09-01-2004, 08:41 PM
they need to use James Earl Jones' voice in the added Vader scene in ESB where he says to bring his shuttle!
Wasn't that scene in the original version of the film? I know that they added the shuttle in the SE (wasn't it a retooled clip from ROTJ?), but I thought he always said "Bring my shuttle." :confused: :crazed:

TheDarthVader
09-01-2004, 09:00 PM
I agree with vadersvette. I am pretty sure that voice is JEJ.

B.
TDV

Darth Tornado
09-02-2004, 09:15 AM
When Jabba hits him 3po supposedly falls into some odeurves of jabbas which is green and slimy

Vortex
09-02-2004, 09:52 AM
When Jabba hits him 3po supposedly falls into some odeurves of jabbas which is green and slimy

Where did you get that from? Never read that before...interesting, but I can't say I've every heard it.

Darth Tornado
09-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Yeah there are some behind the scenes shots of the food that 3p0 falls into I really dont know where you could find that pic though maybe somone else knows where this pic can be found.

Knightfall
09-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Wasn't that scene in the original version of the film? I know that they added the shuttle in the SE (wasn't it a retooled clip from ROTJ?), but I thought he always said "Bring my shuttle." :confused: :crazed:He did. I only watch the version of TESB that DOESN'T include extraneous, boring footage of said shuttle, and it's in that one too.

The 'Xir
09-07-2004, 03:52 AM
I've always argued for a new shot after our hero's blast their way out of Mos Eisly, Han states, "Besides, I know a few manuvers, we'll lose 'em" But then in the cut to the next scene after that line, you see the falcon just flying in a straight line with a Star Destroyer hot on his tail. What kinda manuver is that? So it would be kinda cool to see it removed and a cg falcon replace it maybe banking side to side or spiraling through space to avoid capture and enemy fire!

tgr3328
09-07-2004, 03:19 PM
They can correct Luke's pronunciation of his home world at the end of ESB. He tells Leia that they will rendezvous back on Tatooine. He pronounces it something like tah-TOO-ween. It seems most characters pronounce it TAT-too-een.

Pendo
09-07-2004, 04:33 PM
They can correct Luke's pronunciation of his home world at the end of ESB. He tells Leia that they will rendezvous back on Tatooine. He pronounces it something like tah-TOO-ween. It seems most characters pronounce it TAT-too-een.
I hadn't really noticed that. It's not too bad. But if anything George should go back and correct the pronunciation in the prequels rather than how it was originaly pronounced in the OT!

:)

PENDO!

JediTricks
09-07-2004, 05:36 PM
I've always argued for a new shot after our hero's blast their way out of Mos Eisly, Han states, "Besides, I know a few manuvers, we'll lose 'em" But then in the cut to the next scene after that line, you see the falcon just flying in a straight line with a Star Destroyer hot on his tail. What kinda manuver is that? So it would be kinda cool to see it removed and a cg falcon replace it maybe banking side to side or spiraling through space to avoid capture and enemy fire!
That one has never occurred to me before, mainly because I thought coolly flying right under the noses of those Star Destroyers, knowing their exact sensor and maneuverability weaknesses as well as where to make the jump to lightspeed, WAS the big maneuver.

The 'Xir
09-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Nah, because they are waiting for the coordinates from the Nav computer, and Han makes the statement as if 'yeah I know they're gaining but I know a few manuvers that will buy us some time until we can make the jump to Hyperspace! Well, that's always been my interpretation of that scene, but then as I said they just fly in a straight line, so who knows. Understanding the scene that way though, I guess is why that has always bothered me! Here we are suppossed to have one of the best and coolest pilots in the galaxy, in one of the fastests ship in the galaxy, and his best manuver is to fly in a straight line? Ala Jabba...time & money I guess... time & money.

stillakid
09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Here we are suppossed to have one of the best and coolest pilots in the galaxy, in one of the fastests ship in the galaxy, and his best manuver is to fly in a straight line? Ala Jabba...time & money I guess... time & money.

Ahhh, but they'd be expecting him to fly loop de loops, so the element of surprise compels him to fly in a straight line. :)

JEDIpartner
09-08-2004, 08:23 AM
'Star Wars' emerges from darkness
By Mike Snider, USA TODAY

BURBANK, Calif. He whipped Indiana Jones into shape and cleaned up Sunset Boulevard.

Now John Lowry is the unseen force behind the sparkling new DVD versions of George Lucas' Star Wars films, which arrive Sept. 21 in a four-disc $70 box set.
Over the past four years, Lowry Digital Images has emerged as the pre-eminent destination for studios looking to prepare their classics for DVD. Having cleaned up the Indiana Jones films for last year's DVD package to the satisfaction of Lucas, director Steven Spielberg and studio Paramount, the Burbank-based firm earned the chance this year to do the same for the Star Wars trilogy.

Even though the original film elements of the three movies have spent most of their time resting in vaults, they had gathered wear and tear that would have been noticeable had they been transferred, as is, straight to DVD.

"The most popular movies are often, by far and away, in the worst shape," Lowry says. "They have been printed more often and been duplicated more often, and each of those passes adds scuffs, dirt, scratches and the like."

The high-definition video transfers of the first three Star Wars films (Episodes IV-VI: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) that Lucasfilm delivered to Lowry, he says, "were a little rougher than we expected coming in the door. I thought, 'Oh, man.' "

Especially prevalent were scratches and dirt on the Tatooine sand dune scenes in Episode IV: A New Hope and on the snowy slopes of the ice planet Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back. Lightsaber scenes in all the films, Lowry says, "were softer and grainier and had all kinds of dirt."

But Lowry mobilized the forces: 80 employees and 600 networked Power Mac G5 computers with the equivalent of 378 terabytes (378 million megabytes) of hard-disk storage.

The process: First, he analyzes the film and notes its biggest problems, be it dust or softness. Then he sets parameters for the restoration software. The computer system divides the film into segments and applies fixes, identifying flaws by comparing neighboring film frames. Lowry and his team check the processed scenes daily, frame by frame.

Restoration took about a month per film. As footage became ready, segments were downloaded onto a portable hard drive and shipped to Lucas for approval.

The result is as if a veil has been lifted: The annoying hail of visible noise is gone, and colors are richer. The footage seems to shine, as if brand-new. "We have given it the kind of sharpness which doesn't create ugly edges," Lowry says.

Beyond a stellar DVD, Lucasfilm now has a high-definition master stored in its vaults that won't degrade as celluloid does. The master can be used to make new film prints and high-definition DVDs.

Lowry's involvement in restoring the Star Wars films began with another space adventure.

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration contracted with him to process the live broadcast feeds from the Apollo 16 and 17 missions to the moon in 1972. "We cleaned up the images and sent it back over microwave to Houston again, and it went out to the world," says Lowry, now 72, whose career in TV production began as a stagehand for the Canadian Broadcasting Co. in 1952.

Years later, his background in TV production and multimedia led him to develop the proprietary software that would digitally remove blemishes in films.

His techniques are not without controversy. Preservationists have voiced concern that digitization of films will create homogenization.

Movies get their own character through varying degrees of light-sensitive grain used in film stocks. (The concentrations differ much like thread count in sheets.) During digital film restoration and compression, grain can be lessened.

One of Lowry's earlier restorations, Citizen Kane, was criticized by some, including film historian Leonard Maltin, who said the result looked more like a TV video production than a film. Having done about 100 restorations since then, Lowry says, "If we had the chance to restore Citizen Kane again today, the quality would be vastly improved."

In the case of films such as Sunset Boulevard, in which the original print has been degraded or lost, Lowry's digital restoration is the only safeguard to losing the film entirely, says Ron Smith, head of DVD mastering for Paramount.

"You're giving new life to the film on DVD and also preserving and saving its life in archival terms."

Source:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-09-06-star-wars_x.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-09-06-star-wars_x.htm)

The 'Xir
09-08-2004, 11:47 PM
The great thing about it is though, Han makes up for it in ESB, when he does his vanishing act behiind the Star Destroyers bridge! Now, THAT was a manuver!!! :D

mace78
09-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Wasn't that scene in the original version of the film? I know that they added the shuttle in the SE (wasn't it a retooled clip from ROTJ?), but I thought he always said "Bring my shuttle." :confused: :crazed:

in the original, Vader says "bring me my shuttle". In the SE, he says "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival", and it isn't James Earl Jones doing the voice.

JediTricks
09-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Nah, because they are waiting for the coordinates from the Nav computer, and Han makes the statement as if 'yeah I know they're gaining but I know a few manuvers that will buy us some time until we can make the jump to Hyperspace! Well, that's always been my interpretation of that scene, but then as I said they just fly in a straight line, so who knows. Understanding the scene that way though, I guess is why that has always bothered me! Here we are suppossed to have one of the best and coolest pilots in the galaxy, in one of the fastests ship in the galaxy, and his best manuver is to fly in a straight line? Ala Jabba...time & money I guess... time & money.
Well, a jumpier pilot might lose his cool and try to fly around in circles, but end up taking more time to get the hyperspace data from the navicomputer because it has to keep recalculating the jump point (or a modified argument if you take into account the new Lucas reasoning for Hyperspace, you can't just jump anywhere, there are only certain hyperspace routes that are safe and won't get you torn apart from unseen gravity wells and other spacial anomolies - this new reasoning has actually started to grow on me a little, but keep in mind that I am a Trekkie ;)).

Interesting story JP, kinda weird how Lucas' "salvaging" of the prints (what ultimately became the Special Edition project) were so messed up when brought to Lowry.

The great thing about it is though, Han makes up for it in ESB, when he does his vanishing act behiind the Star Destroyers bridge! Now, THAT was a manuver!!! I don't think Han could have made the jump to hyperspace that close to the ship though, the Imperials felt the move was only showing an attack position, and when it disappeared from their scopes they didn't guess that it had hit the hyperdrive, the Star Destroyer was thinking that the only possible move that could have been made was a cloaking device.

Mace78, it IS James Earl Jones doing that new line, they've said so on SW.com.

BanthaPoodoo
09-09-2004, 04:14 PM
The one thing that has bugged me forever is the big black ominous mark on the Emperor. I think someone mentioned something similar to this earlier. That has to be fixed. I really could care less for all the other new stuff GL is stickin in there. Just fix the old crappy stuff and be done with it!

JediTricks
09-09-2004, 10:50 PM
You mean the poorly-rotoscoped blobs covering the lighting rigs in the hood? You know, until a few years ago, I had never even noticed them, now I can't NOT notice them.

BanthaPoodoo
09-10-2004, 09:24 AM
That is exactly it!!! Everytime I watch it I cringe at the mutating black blob just hovering over the side of his face... One can only hope these are removed...

plasticfetish
09-12-2004, 01:24 AM
I'd really been hoping that Bea Arthur's character from the X-mas special would have been CG'd in somewhere for the sake of timeline continuity... but it looks like my wishes will have to wait until the next OT retooling.