PDA

View Full Version : Paypal Class Action Lawsuit

Dr Zoltar
07-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Anyone here who has a Paypal account receive an email today about a class action lawsuit? They are giving people who opened a Paypal account prior to 2004 a chance to get some money back. Especially those people who had a problem with fraud or charge backs.

I'm simplifying this a lot as I'm not an attorney, but before I give them my info, I want to make sure it is not a hoax.

Edit: Looks like I found the info I was looking for: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/nothing/paypal.asp

B'Omarr Monkey
07-29-2004, 10:09 AM
I just received an email from paypal about this, so I'd say it's legit. I've only scanned through it though, but I may actually apply, as I did have an ebay purchase where the seller never delivered and never responded to emails. It would be nice if I could actually get my money back for that.

Dr Zoltar
07-29-2004, 10:54 PM
It sounds like even if you've just used PayPal once and never been scammed you can get something. Since when you signed up you agreed to their terms, and the terms were deemed illegal, you may be entitled to damages. I just sent my form in today and I'll post what happens.

First money back from the CD manufacturer class action lawsuit and now this. I don't mind one bit!

JediTricks
07-30-2004, 05:27 PM
How can you get compensated for damages if they didn't actually affect you in any way that you knew about?

Sounds like ebay got the shaft on this one, that'll teach 'em for buying Paypal! Suckers.

Kidhuman
07-30-2004, 05:39 PM
Hell, I added my name to it. Sounds good to me.

scruffziller
08-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Sounds like ebay got the shaft on this one, that'll teach 'em for buying Paypal! Suckers.
Paypal is owned by ebay.

Exhaust Port
08-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Paypal is owned by ebay.
I think that is what he said.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-03-2004, 04:56 PM
I just got an email a few days ago, but I never gave them my bank account number (for reasons such as what's going on now, plus why on earth would I give anyone my bank account number in the first place) so as far as I know, it didn't affect me.

It was interesting reading the case thus far though.

jjreason
08-03-2004, 06:34 PM
I never received an email, and my accounts been fairly active since it's inception over 3 years ago. I wonder if it's because I'm an international user? I guess it's fair for them to euchre us. :)

JediTricks
08-03-2004, 07:01 PM
I just got an email a few days ago, but I never gave them my bank account number (for reasons such as what's going on now, plus why on earth would I give anyone my bank account number in the first place) so as far as I know, it didn't affect me.

It was interesting reading the case thus far though.
Ah, that explains it a little better, I never gave Paypal my bank account number and haven't gotten this mail about a lawsuit. I never trusted Paypal with that much of my personal data (c'mon, SSN and bank account number?!? What next, I tell you the combination to my wall safe and draw you a diagram of exactly where to hit me in the knee to get me to fall down?).

scruffziller
08-04-2004, 10:11 AM
I think that is what he said.
Oh yea, didn't read it right. I thought that Ebay created PayPal instead of buying it.

InsaneJediGirl
08-05-2004, 07:52 PM
My mom got one the other day and we thought it was a scam (much like those eBay emails) so she deleted it.Never been scammed or gave out a Bank account number or anything,no reason to join in.Besides,I think we used paypal all of 3 times :rolleyes: