PDA

View Full Version : The Manchurian Candidate

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-29-2004, 01:40 AM
I am looking forward to the remake of the 1962 John Frankenheimer classic that is directed by Jonathan Demme.

*SPOILERS

Since the movie hasn't opened yet, I only know of a few details of the new version. It does star some fine actors including Denzel Washington, Meryl Streep and Liev Schrieber. I hear that the plot line has changed drastically from the original, (in a modern remake Communist plots don't have the same effect as they would have) with a global company called Manchuria (or a derivative of that name, can't remember) using some sort of chemical experimentation to brainwash a few ex-military personell into doing their dirty deeds. I won't comment on it further, because I don't know much more than that.

The old version was a classic film noir, thrilling and satirical movie that eeirly predicted the age of assassination that was to come just a year after the movie's release. In fact, a little tidbit, the movie wasn't rereleased for years because of it's coincidenes with the Kennedy assassination. Frankenheimer, who also shot all the campaign movies of Bobby Kennedy during his tragic run of the presidency in '68, was driven to drink after Bobby was assassinated, and never regained the glory he had during his heyday.

Angela Lansbury is the real character that stands out in the original, playing the overbearing, manipulative mother of the main character, Raymond (played wonderfully by Laurence Harvey). The movie is also a commentary against the buffoonery of the red-baiting tactics of the 50's, mimicking scenes with a Joseph McCarthy like character who keeps changing the number of Communists he claims to be in the State Department, and portraying him, generally as a detached doofus.

It also contains one of the first, karate/fist fight scenes in cinema in where Frank Sinatra dukes it out with Henry Silva. Also look for a cameo with Wally from Leave It To Beaver as a young, unfortunate G.I. I highly recommend this movie, especially the original, which by the way, had the DVD rereleased in anticipation of the remake.

We'll wait and see what the new one has to offer.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2004, 02:51 PM
We'll wait and see what the new one has to offer.
Well, I'm not making any comments on the film until MandalorianCandidat speaks about this! ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
07-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Well, I'm not making any comments on the film until MandalorianCandidat speaks about this! ;)

Well, I'm going to see it for sure. You may now discuss among yourselves. ;)