PDA

View Full Version : VOTC Darth Vader

B_C
07-29-2004, 09:53 AM
What can I say. I have just recieved my 2 VOTC Darth Vaders this morning. :D
The overall sculpt of the figure is amazing and well detailed when looking at him on the the card and his 2 lightsabers are on the left hand side of the bubble. This is the Darth Vader I have always wanted.
Out of card(this is why I got 2) it is mind blowing.

The paintwork is 10 times better than on recent vader figures. Just the right amount of variation between the armor and the leather. His chest plate is two toned as it should be, however hasbro has used a darker, duller silver colouring (almost gun metal grey)instead of the silver on previous outings. It comes across a hell of a lot better than the throne room duel attempt.

Articulation is amazing. This is the first vader with a ball jointed neck, so he can now bow his head when on his knees, communicating with the emperor. It is very similar to the comtech stormtrooper where it is attached to his torso and the helmet is not affected by the joint at all.
His arms can be placed in a number of positions with the ball jointed shoulders, gauntlets and elbow(His elbows are like the Luke jabbas palace figure and have the same problem if you are too rough when posing, that they fall right off. They do slot straight back on but, I would have thought that the joints would be stronger from previous comments made about them and a safety point of view.)but this figure should keep most diorama builders and vader fans happy as he can be put in to many fighting or neutral poses.
His legs have standard articulation in to the torso as well as ball jointed knees. What may have improved the legs would have been the inclusion of ankle joints, but this might have made the boots a little bulky.

His outer cape is fixed at his neck at the back of the figure, so can't be removed without popping the figure. The material is like the death star clash vaders but a little lighter in weight and twice as big. This can be manipulated to hang over his shoulders or just hang in all its glory without the crappy look of the previous vader capes.
His inner robe is also the same material as the outer one and this is attached by a seperate belt feature which has a cod piece attached to it made from a soft plyable plastic that allows vader to sit without any problems.
Finally, this figure comes with a red lightsaber with a perminantly attached hilt and a bladeless hilt(The lightsaber hilt has a peg on the side of it that slots into a hole on vaders belt.)

Overall...it is a **** on figure worth the 10 I paid for it. I think the only addition I would have loved to see would have been a two part removable helmet, if only so that I never have to buy another Darth vader figure in my life again. I have more vaders than stormtroopers and if this figure had come out 9 years ago...I would have a lot more money.

Kidhuman
07-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Makes me want my order from EE right now. Thanks for the review on this one

IMFETTUP
07-29-2004, 12:28 PM
How soon before we start seeing these in stores? This figure sounds way to sweet! Thanks for the post.

B_C
07-29-2004, 12:35 PM
I don't know exactly when they are going to be available at retail, I guess its a case of keep your eyes and ears open. I bought mine from here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=5912023516&rd=1) and got them delivered the next day

IMFETTUP
07-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the link!:)

Kidhuman
07-29-2004, 12:40 PM
I know my case is slated for AUgust delivery, so look for it around then IMFETTUP

IMFETTUP
07-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks, KID. I'll be keeping my eyes open.:stupid: You mentioned case. What is the case assortment then? I'm a little upset that I haven't been able to get Luke as of yet. I'm guessing that he is now showing up in even numbers with the first three? Do you expect you'll be getting all four in the case come August?

Kidhuman
07-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Check out this thread

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=339700#post339700

bigbarada
08-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the review.

I was considering doing a head swap with the Throne Room Vader from the Saga line so I could make the perfect removable helmet Vader. Is that even possible with this figure?

This is definitely one I will be buying doubles of.

B_C
08-04-2004, 02:32 PM
A removable helmet head swap isn't possible on this one because of the way its neck connects to the mask and helmet. You would have to do a major cutting job on the mask to keep the articulation. It may be possible to remove the neck joint from the body, but you would lose the abillity to look up and down. If we wait long enough, I think we will get ripped off for a removable helmet version in the episode three collection (http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1437).

bigbarada
08-04-2004, 04:08 PM
A removable helmet head swap isn't possible on this one because of the way its neck connects to the mask and helmet. You would have to do a major cutting job on the mask to keep the articulation. It may be possible to remove the neck joint from the body, but you would lose the abillity to look up and down. If we wait long enough, I think we will get ripped off for a removable helmet version in the episode three collection (http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1437).

Cool, now I know not to waste my money on getting an extra VOTC Vader to attempt this head swap. I'll just save my money for other figures. :cool:

(Wooo, there are some serious potty-mouths on that site you linked to!) :)

TheDarthVader
08-11-2004, 02:05 PM
I just found my VOTC figure today at Target.......WOW! I had to buy the only two they had on the pegs. This could be the best Vader ever! I love the sculpt and paint. The articulation is awesome. I don't care that this Vader does not have the removeable helmet...it is that good! I give it an A+. This is the only VOTC figure that I will buy 2 of. Keep your eyes open and you'll see him at retail soon. This is one of the best vaders ever made!!
Way to go, Hasbro!!!!!!!

B.
TDV

AmanaMatt
08-22-2004, 02:23 AM
Ok, I will confess that when I saw this fig carded I was not overly impressed; the first (only) issue for me that seemed to jump out was the chest design: was this a ROTJ style with ANH coloring or ANH design with RotJ style infulences? I am anal-retentive, I know, but just on core characters...anyway, I got this fig and opened it... I must say: WOW!

This is a fig that is way more exciting opened than carded - still have no idea what the hell movie this Vader is supposed to be from - but, who cares? There is so much that is right with this fig, it isn't funny - I almost hate to say this, but the soft goods is very nice - while the cape is big, it is not overly long, so you can really pose this with some attitude - given the excellent articulation (for the most part), you can really pose this guy. Also, I love the new saber. Finally, a nice dark red color for Vader's saber - I am glad to see the wimpy light, reddish color gone here. Also, the scale on this version is the same as other recent releases, which is good. I was slighty afraid he would be too short, but he looks good. Also, we finally get a Vader that can do a kneel pose- about time .

All-in all, great fig. For me, if Hasbro had been a bit more movie specific with the design of this figure, this would have been the ultimate Vader, as it stands, one of the best, if not the best to date in overall quality.

Turbowars
08-22-2004, 11:07 AM
My only complaint is that the chain is too long for the figure. I'm sure each Vader differs in this department, but I had to modify mine. It now looks prefect, but really I should not had to do it myself for 10 bucks.

JEDIpartner
09-09-2004, 03:40 PM
My only complaint is that the chain is too long for the figure. I'm sure each Vader differs in this department, but I had to modify mine. It now looks prefect, but really I should not had to do it myself for 10 bucks.
I think all of them are on the longish side. I took a needle and some black thread and cinched up on end of it and sewed it to the cape. You can't tell that it had to be done. It looks fantastic now. Rock on VOTCs!! ;)

plasticfetish
10-01-2004, 06:20 AM
Now, for all of those playing at home, we've photos of VOTC Vader up in the Database...

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=1255