PDA

View Full Version : Who played Vader with his helmet off in ESB?

scruffziller
07-29-2004, 02:21 PM
When Piett comes to see Vader in his meditating chamber and you see the helmet coming down onto his head, who was that? Or was it just a dummy?

Droid
07-29-2004, 02:57 PM
It was Hayden Christensen. DUH. Don't you know Lucas always had the whole thing planned right down to the last detail?

El Chuxter
07-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Actually, the guy's name was Lenny, and he was a tank-wipe at the Stuckey's off I-81 south of Christiansburg. :D

Actually, I can't help you.

Kidhuman
07-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Actually, the guy's name was Lenny, and he was a tank-wipe at the Stuckey's off I-81 south of Christiansburg. :D

Actually, I can't help you.

Dude that is hilarious.

Oh and I have no idea either

Droid
07-29-2004, 05:17 PM
scruffziller, I played Darth Vader with his helmet off in The Empire Strikes Back. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

I don't know the answer either.

Turambar
07-29-2004, 05:28 PM
I had heard it was Jar Jar Binks playing the role. Afterward, he was afraid he would be typecast as a sinister villain, so when he was fortunate enought to land a role in E1, he played a less serious character to expand his repetoire.

Ji'dai
07-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Why wouldn't have been David Prowse? He may not have the fatherly face Lucas was looking for during the unveiling in Jedi, but they could've slapped some makeup on the back of his head for that shot in ESB.

plo koon 200
07-29-2004, 05:43 PM
I don't knwo who it was, probably Prose. Why would they need someone else to do a head back shot. If they did that they would need to cast another extra.

stillakid
07-29-2004, 06:16 PM
I don't knwo who it was, probably Prose. Why would they need someone else to do a head back shot. If they did that they would need to cast another extra.

I may have been Prowse, however to answer your question, simply wearing the costume as usual and appearing in that reverse shot would have been a time consuming change over. Undoubtedly they shot all of the meditation chamber shots at the same time, and probably all in the same day. The majority of the showed Vader in his usual getup. The helmet-off shot however required at minimum, a latex "mask" which had to be attached to the actor's head somehow. An application like that doesn't necessarily take forever, but it isn't like he could just throw it on as if it were Halloween either. So it is entirely possible that another person sat in makeup getting that brain thing put on while Prowse shot the other scenes.

But I too don't know the actual answer to the question.

Bobby Fett
07-29-2004, 10:55 PM
I know who it was.

No, wait, I knew who it was but I forgot.

No, wait...

What was the question?

Rocketboy
07-30-2004, 01:16 AM
Telly Savalas.

2-1B
07-30-2004, 01:20 AM
Whoever it was, I'm sure Prowse is mad at him.

stillakid
07-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Whoever it was, I'm sure Prowse is mad at him.

You're probably right, because David Prowse IS Darth Vader!

lol