PDA

View Full Version : VOTC Scam!!!

Val Da Car
07-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Okay...I saw this picture at another site *yakface.com* and thought no way.

I went to my K-Mart tonight and found in the Han Solo VOTC packaging a R2.Q5 and in the Princess Leia there was a Euro R2-D2.

I brought this to the attention of the store "Softlines Mgr" and fed some line about contacting the buyer and I corrected him that someone had scammed them.

I think in doing this I will be banned from the store cause the employee I showed before the manager was called to the front of the store.

Or did I just embarras him?

Jay86
07-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Okay...I saw this picture at another site *yakface.com* and thought no way.

I went to my K-Mart tonight and found in the Han Solo VOTC packaging a R2.Q5 and in the Princess Leia there was a Euro R2-D2.

I brought this to the attention of the store "Softlines Mgr" and fed some line about contacting the buyer and I corrected him that someone had scammed them.

I think in doing this I will be banned from the store cause the employee I showed before the manager was called to the front of the store.

Or did I just embarras him?
I've found the same thing. And dont worry about turning it in, I did the same thing two weeks ago when I came across this same thing and the girl I gave the package to told me "this hasnt been opened", so I pointed out that the tape had been cut and replaced, and she just shook her head in disbelief and took it to the back. And dont worry about embarrassing anybody, the only person who should be embarrassed is the pathetic individual who did it.

Ji'dai
07-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Wow... this is about as bad as the picture someone posted of finding a 12" Darth Maul in a LOTR Rringwraith box. But the way VOTC figures are loosely packaged with the taped clamshell encourages this kind of scam. Hasbro will probably change the packaging if this type of theft gets out of hand, maybe to the sealed clamshells similar to McFarlane or NECA figure ones.

bigbarada
07-30-2004, 11:16 AM
The idiot at the returns counter who took this back should be the only one getting embarrassed about this.

jedi master sal
07-30-2004, 04:28 PM
The idiot at the returns counter who took this back should be the only one getting embarrassed about this.

You can't really blame them, bigbarada. They can't possibly keep track of every item that comes and goes in the store. We're biased and believe that everyone knows what's going on pertaining to the SW toy line. They are not. Likely they don't even realize there's a new line out, let alone what should be packaged in the VOTC clamshell.

Funny, though. I bet this happens quite a bit. Even more now, with the exposure of this thread.

I'd love to catch someone in the act of doing it. I'd get them for fraud. Oooohh, I really want to catch someone now. Imagine some scroungey scalper trying to return this for profit. Gawd, I'd love to see they're face as I catch them in the act, then as they're slimy butt's being hauled away by the cops for fraud.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-30-2004, 08:44 PM
I recently saw the Red Leader X-Wing with Dutch Vander in the window. I know, someone's going to crack a joke about who actually got ripped off there, but that's also why it caught my eye. I thought, "Red Leader looks better than I remembered." I, too brought it to customer service. The next time I was in the store it was back on the shelf. :rolleyes:

The thing I'm waiting for with the VOTC figures, is for someone to remove them from the clamshells in the store and mix them in with the similar looking OTC figures. When the cashier can't find the bar code, which is absent on the cardback, she'll just scan one of the cheaper OTC figures again and that will be that.

Hmmm. So begins my descent into crime... :evil:

B_C
08-02-2004, 09:07 AM
If they are a loose collector, they could remove the figure from the card and replace with a otc han solo or deathstar encounter darth and return it complete on card. Hell in the packet to a shop assistant they would never know the difference. With the power of the force cards though I would think it would be more than likely a shop assistant that has done the dirty deed.....God I wish I worked in toys r us!!!lol

bigbarada
08-02-2004, 11:36 AM
You can't really blame them, bigbarada. They can't possibly keep track of every item that comes and goes in the store. We're biased and believe that everyone knows what's going on pertaining to the SW toy line. They are not. Likely they don't even realize there's a new line out, let alone what should be packaged in the VOTC clamshell.

Funny, though. I bet this happens quite a bit. Even more now, with the exposure of this thread.

I'd love to catch someone in the act of doing it. I'd get them for fraud. Oooohh, I really want to catch someone now. Imagine some scroungey scalper trying to return this for profit. Gawd, I'd love to see they're face as I catch them in the act, then as they're slimy butt's being hauled away by the cops for fraud.

You're right, I shouldn't be so hard on these people. I think, when word of this gets out and it starts to get out of hand, then Hasbro will have to take some big steps to prevent it. Probably by glueing the clamshells shut so that you have to destroy them to open them.

jedi-cpa
08-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Boy oh boy, if this isn't an advertisement for a Kebco. At least I know I am not going to get home and be surprised. That happened with my POTJ snow speeder with NO DAK IN IT! Boy was I ****ed!

KEBco
08-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Hello jedi-cpa,

I hope you're not saying we take figures out of packages and/or vehicles. We don't have time to do that, plus we would never do it. That's ridiculous.

Scott Barnette
Business Manager
KEBco Toys

OC47150
08-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Whenever I found boxes with switched figures at TRU, I used to turn them in to the manager. But the last few times I did that, he had a care less-type attitude.

Val Da Car
08-02-2004, 09:16 PM
***UPDATE***

Well the first manager whose attention I brought this too....GAVE IT BACK TO THE EMPLOYEE TO PUT BACK ON THE SHELF!!!!!

I found the Mechandising Manager and reexplained it to her and should completely understood what I wanted get across and could not believe what happened and then I repeated that the first manager told me "I will have to talk to the buyer about this." and I responded "Err that is not a buyer issue but someone at the front desk defrauded you for product and cash."

She was a little shocked. She also mentioned that they have to police the baseball cards too. (different topic)

I just pointed out that basically the OTC figures only have a UPC code on the insert not on the figure (unlike the POTJ R2-Q5 & European R2-D2 placed in the OTC cards).

jjreason
08-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Scott from Kebco, you missed the point of the other user's post. He was praising being able to use you guys because he knows for sure he won't get duped by buying a bad return job off the shelf of a retail store. :)

bigbarada
08-03-2004, 11:49 AM
I think bringing this to the attention of clerks and store managers is about as effective as talking to a brick wall.

For anyone who is outraged/concerned/upset about this (as I am), then you should call Hasbro's customer service line. Let them know that unscrupulous customers are essentially stealing money from them and how it is being done.

If the problem becomes big enough and enough people complain, then Hasbro might be forced to issue a recall of all unsold VOTC figures. At least until they can find a new way to package them that will prevent this.

Personally, I'm very concerned about this since I don't want this line to be cancelled before Chewbacca and Boba Fett arrive in stores.

Kidhuman
08-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Stores managers dont care. They will put it on the floor to sell because

a) They have to try and sell it.
b) their way of thinking is some one will buy it. Most likely a kid(or his parents for him)
c) Getting credit for a single figure is a hassel. It would be cheaper for them to mark it down in the long run or write it off as shrink.

Their way of thinking is it will eventually be sold.

ronhudy
08-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Wow... this is about as bad as the picture someone posted of finding a 12" Darth Maul in a LOTR Rringwraith box.

LOL!!! I remember that one! That was pretty pathetic!

zachatack
08-06-2004, 08:57 PM
This is happening all the time. When I go to TRU, someone buys the Star Wars 4 packs of figures, opens it, takes one out, and replaces it with a lesser desirable figure. And it wasn't even done that well. I think they took the droid out of the Hoth 4 pack and replaced it with Jar Jar Binks, which didn't even fit the mold of the droid. The employees could care less, and that individual got the droid for nothing.

B'Omarr Monkey
08-06-2004, 10:08 PM
This is one of the reasons that there are four thousand twist ties holding the toys to the packaging, and clearly that doesn't prevent the problem. Now the thief has to take the toy out of the stores to steal, instead of just making a tear in the package in store.

As for the reshelving. My first experience with this was when I got the vintage Millennium Falcon for Christmas, or my birthday when it came out. I doubt I need to say how excited I was, or how disappointed I was when I opened it and it was missing parts. I dooubt they were stolen, I think it was a factory packing mistake. Back then those boxes were held vlosed by more than one piece of tape per flap. Besides who'd want landing struts and the dish? Anyway my mother and I returned it to the store and got a new one (this is back when the stores used to stock plenty of SW toys). I remember though visiting the store again a few days later, and my mother and I both being shocked to see my very same returned box, taped shut (sloppily and obviously as well) with missing pieces up on the shelf. I guess they figure if they keep putting it back on the shelf eventually someone will keep it as is.

It taught me to never buy anything that a store has resealed, and to check for any tampering from outside forces (ie; thieves).

LTBasker
08-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah, you especially have to be careful with LEGO sets. Sometimes there will be only one set of something popular remaining and that'll be because it was opened. I got lucky with the only opened set I've bought from that situation and all the pieces were there.

Veers
08-07-2004, 10:06 AM
That is crazy!