PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Case Assortments

vader121
07-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Does anyone know of the vintage case assortments? It would be great to know what the first assortment was up until the POTF line.

LusiferSam
07-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Does anyone know of the vintage case assortments? It would be great to know what the first assortment was up until the POTF line.
This sounds like a great idea, but I'm not convinced that Kenner shipped it's stuff in Hasbro-like assortments. And I'm real sure Kenner didn't have "waves." This could very well be a modern thing. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2004, 12:47 PM
Well, I believe the "case assortments" and "waves" were simply the figures next released, as shown on the card backs or catalogs.

SW The first 12.
SW The next 9.
ESB, uh, the next 16?
ESB next 8?
ESB??
ROJ?
Um...
POTF?

I'll have to do more checking on that. I never saw an unopened Kenner box of figures, so I have no idea. No one tracked cases like today (or, at least to the extent as today), since there usually seemed to be plenty of the figures on the shelves.

LusiferSam
08-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Well, I believe the "case assortments" and "waves" were simply the figures next released, as shown on the card backs or catalogs.

SW The first 12.
SW The next 9.
ESB, uh, the next 16?
ESB next 8?
ESB??
ROJ?
Um...
POTF?

I'll have to do more checking on that. I never saw an unopened Kenner box of figures, so I have no idea. No one tracked cases like today (or, at least to the extent as today), since there usually seemed to be plenty of the figures on the shelves.
I can tell you that's not right because of Boba Fett. I think the right order was more:
SW 12
ESB 10
ROTJ 17
13 plus Yak Face

The mail-a-ways and dropped figure (I'm think original R2 and 3P0) really mess things up with this.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2004, 03:50 PM
I can tell you that's not right because of Boba Fett.

The mail-a-ways and dropped figure (I'm think original R2 and 3P0) really mess things up with this.
Right. I was going to go with 12, 8, 1; but then I forgot about Bossk, 4-LOM, Emperor, Nien Nunb, Ackbar, Anakin, etc.

So, the answer is... 42. :eek:

bigbarada
08-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Actually, the original twelve where shipped in 3 mini-waves:

Wave 1 (the same as the early bird collection)
Luke
Leia
Chewie
Artoo

Wave 2
Han
Vader
Threepio
Ben

Wave 3
Stormtrooper
Jawa
Sandpeople
Death Squad Commando

I distinctly remember seeing an ad for "new" figures and listing the last four.

bigbarada
08-04-2004, 11:09 PM
http://www.toysrgus.com/images-store/three-new.html

Okay so the last wave was only three figures not four. But this article does state that the original twelve weren't released all at once.

LusiferSam
08-05-2004, 12:01 AM
That just muddies the waters even more. That Jawa is a cloth caped version, not the original vinyl caped version. But cool info, I hadn't seen that before.

vader121
08-05-2004, 09:15 AM
Actually what I meant was how did the figures come packaged? I know the waves but was curious on how many per case were sent.

For example, was it...
Luke x2
Vader x2

Kidhuman
08-05-2004, 10:59 AM
I dont think you will ever find those Vader121. Too long ago, and I dont think anyone but Hasbro would have those records

bigbarada
08-05-2004, 02:52 PM
I dont think you will ever find those Vader121. Too long ago, and I dont think anyone but Hasbro would have those records

I don't think even Hasbro has that information anymore, since they didn't buy Kenner until after the SW line was dead. And I doubt 1978 case assortments for Star Wars figures would be anything that they even remotely cared about.

I would guess that only an old-time toy dealer would have that information now; but most of the 'mom & pop' toy stores that existed in the 70s have been swallowed up by the TRUs, Targets and Wal-Marts. Comic book and collectible shops were very rare or non-existent in those days and you can forget about the internet.

So my guess is that info is lost forever. :cry:

bigbarada
08-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Anyways, using the information we have now, here's my guess for the release order of the vintage figures:

1978:
4- Luke, Leia, Chewie, Artoo
4- Han, Ben, Vader, Stormtrooper
1- Threepio (he was slightly delayed because of the metalized finish IIRC)
3- DS Commando, Jawa, Sandperson

1979:
4- Greedo, Snags, Walrusman, Hammerhead
4- Luke X-Wing, Arfive, DSD, Power Droid
1- Boba Fett

1980-82:
1- Bossk
9- Luke Hoth, Leia Bespin, Han Hoth, Lando, IG-88, FX-7, Snowtrooper, Bespin Guard (white), Rebel Soldier
1- Yoda
9- Dengar, Imperial CO, Rebel CO, AT-AT DVR, Ugnaught, Leia Hoth, Lobot, Han Bespin, 2-1B
6- Threepio RL, Artoo scope, Luke Hoth, AT-AT CO, Cloud Car Pilot, Bespin Guard (black)
2- TIE Fighter Pilot, Zuckuss
1- 4-LOM (the vintage line had 4-LOM and Zuckuss' names reversed)

1983-84:
1- Admiral Ackbar
1-Nien Nunb
15- Luke Jedi, Leia Boushh, Royal Guard, Gam. Guard, Weequay, Klaatu, Bib Fortuna, Ree-Yees, Chirpa, Logray, Lando Skiff, Madine, Rebel Commando, Biker Scout, Squidhead
1- Emperor
3- Klaatu Skiff, Nikto, 8D8
8- Pruneface, Rancor Keeper, Wicket, Han Trench, Leia Poncho, Teebo, B-Wing Pilot, AT-ST DVR
1- Anakin Skywalker
2- Paploo, Lumat
3- Amanaman, Barada, EV-9D9

1985:
10- Han Carbo, Artoo saber, Dignitary, Gen Lando, Luke Stormie, Luke Poncho, Gunner, Warok, Romba, A-wing Pilot
1 (almost)- Yak Face

I'm sure that some of the bigger groups of figures were probably broken up into smaller 4-5 figure waves, but I have no real way of knowing which ones went where.

BlueSnags
08-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Big B, I loved your list. I was a big-time collector back then. Here's my two cents:

1980-82:
1- Bossk
9- Luke Hoth, Leia Bespin, Han Hoth, Lando, IG-88, FX-7, Snowtrooper, Bespin Guard (white), Rebel Soldier

I'm pretty certain IG-88 and FX-7 shipped later. I remember finding a freshly opened case of that wave at K-Mart in Easter 1980, and those two weren't in it. I didn't see them turn up for another month or so.

1983-84:
15- Luke Jedi, Leia Boushh, Royal Guard, Gam. Guard, Weequay, Klaatu, Bib Fortuna, Ree-Yees, Chirpa, Logray, Lando Skiff, Madine, Rebel Commando, Biker Scout, Squidhead

Logray and Chirpa shipped later. Remember, they were blacked out on the figure-backs at first (The early ROTJ 65 Backs) because Lucasfilm didn't want you to see what they looked like before the movie was released. They weren't included with the others in that wave (which were released before the movie came out).

Anyone else remember this?

-Blue Snag

akcuda
08-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Awesome topic! Blue Snag--You're absolutely right about IG-88 and FX-7. I specifically remember needing only those two figures and looking desperately for 'em.

Kidhuman
08-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Blue Snags, I remember the Ewoks being blacked out. It drove me nuts because I wanted to see them so bad.

BlueSnags
08-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Awesome topic! Blue Snag--You're absolutely right about IG-88 and FX-7. I specifically remember needing only those two figures and looking desperately for 'em.

Blue Snags, I remember the Ewoks being blacked out. It drove me nuts because I wanted to see them so bad.

You guys are old school collectors like me. ;) Here's the order the first ROTJ wave shipped, as best as I can remember (or at least in the order I found them back then):

Biker Scout
Klaatu
Squid Head (all found April 1983)

Luke Jedi
Bib Fortuna
Royal Guard (April/May 83)

Weequay
Madine
Leia Boushh (May/June 83)

Gam. Guard
Lando Skiff
Rebel Commando (June 83)

Logray
Ree-Yees
Chirpa (I remember it being July 1983 by the time I finally found these three at JCPenney)

Keep in mind that each wave shipped with older figures re-packaged with the ROTJ logo.

Blue Snag

Kidhuman
08-23-2004, 11:21 PM
How in the heck do you rememer dates? I just remember where I got them, but no dates

rbaumhauer
08-24-2004, 12:11 AM
I can only remember the order that we (my sister and I) got the original 12 in - first, the Early Bird set (with double-telescoping Luke, which I still have) arrived in February (IIRC). Next group was later in the Spring, and consisted of Ben, Vader, and Han. Shortly after that were Threepio and Stormtrooper. I believe we got the Death Squad Commando by himself, and finally Sandperson and Jawa.

I think we got all 12 before the end of the school year in '78, as I seem to remember figures sitting on the kitchen table when I walked in from school, but I'm not absolutely positive.

LusiferSam
08-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Well I can put an end to part of this discussion (maybe). A miss guided search on eBay turned this up. A guy is claiming to be selling a legitimate case of ESB figures. Case assortment # 69360 has: 4 Bossks, 2 Star Destroyer Commanders, 2 Bespin Security Guards, 2 Hoth Hans, 1 Snaggletooth, 3 Chewbaccas, 2 Bens, 1 Jawa, 3 Bespin Lukes, 3 Landos, 5 Snowtroopers, 3 Hoth Rebles, 5 Yodas, 5 IG-88s, 3 FX-7s, and 4 Vaders. That's if the guy's legit. But check it out for yourselfs and see what you think. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50274&item=5916921117&rd=1)

BlueSnags
08-26-2004, 12:37 PM
But check it out for yourselfs and see what you think. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50274&item=5916921117&rd=1)

Wow. That is a cool find (seems to be legit to me). From the looks of it, that may be the first case assortment Yoda started shipping in.

Needless to say, I'd love to get my hands that case...although the opening bid of $7500 is a just a LITTLE too pricey for me. ;)

Kidhuman
08-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Too bad it is a high price. If I knew someone who collected, I would say go halves on it, but I dont even have enough for that. I think it is legit too.

LusiferSam
08-27-2004, 12:10 PM
It was the price that got my attention. The only reason I question it's legitimately is because it's 20 plus years old and we as the vintage community know nothing about the case assortments.

Slicker
08-28-2004, 07:13 PM
The only thing that would turn me off from the legitamacy of the deal would be the shipping box. That thing looks immaculate! I don't know if you guys have seen any of the more recent assortment boxes but you'd be lucky to find one that looks half as good. But who cares the figures look about as good as any vintage figures your ever gonna find and 48 unpunched figures is a gold mine well worth the money. If I was Bill Gates that is.;)

vader121
08-30-2004, 11:27 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50274&item=5916921117&rd=1

The openning bid of $7500 is a bit crazy. That works out to be about $156.25 each which is crazy.
that would be a dream come true getting it though.

LusiferSam
09-09-2004, 09:17 PM
I've found some additional information about vintage case assortments, specify case numbers.
Star Wars
No. 38160 (has LP logo)
ESB
No. 39300
No. 69590 (says 4-LOM offer on the side of box)
No. 69570
ROTJ
No. 69590
No. 69570

And there's a No. 39010 which I'd guess is SW, but am not sure on. All had 48 figures. I wasn't able to find out what figures came in these cases, but its more info then we had before.