PDA

View Full Version : How did you find out....?

Kidhuman
07-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Reading a post by Mr. B'omarr Monkey caused me to ask this question..

How did you find out about the new SW line?

I was working in Caldors(discount retail very similar to K-Mart). I was doing undercover security work, so basically I walked around the store all day. I was in the toy dept. and saw the POTF2 line hanging there. I looked at them long and hard thinking "This is very odd". I loved SW and had my vintage figures, all loose of course, so I picked up what they had and purchased them. I thought it was a nostalgic thing and would never turn into what we have today. I am glad I bought those figures as I thought long and hard before purchasing them.

So, whats your story?

stillakid
07-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Wow, that was a long time ago. We're gettin' old, ya know. ;)

All I remember is loving the Micromachines that had come out a few months earlier. Believing that this was going to be the extent of the Star Wars related toys for the future, I eagerly bought them all as soon as I found them.

Then, at some point, I think a friend of mine told me that he had heard that new action figures would be released as well. I'm sure that I probably just ran across them as I was hunting down more Galoob stuff one day.

LusiferSam
07-31-2004, 12:10 AM
I was watching TV on Saturday (I think it was Animaniacs) in September of '95 and saw a commercial. I just about messed my pants I was so excited. But it wasn't until right before Xmas that I finally found my first two, Luke and Ben.

Kidhuman
07-31-2004, 07:59 AM

Good thing I asked now before Alzheimer's really sets in. :D :crazed: :beard:

LusiferSam
07-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Wait minute shouldn't this be "A long time ago, in a toy store far, far away ..." or something similar? :p

Slicker
07-31-2004, 01:22 PM
I was a TRU with my brother and one of his friends and his friend knew about them and they had Lando (who was at that minute hard to find) and he told me to buy him for the hell of it. And now at least $10,000 later here I am. Some may have spent more but that's a lot of money to me.

Kyle Katarn
07-31-2004, 01:28 PM
I was watching TV one noon and they announced the POTF figures, then I went to McAllen and bought some figures.

Ji'dai
07-31-2004, 02:09 PM
I remember walking out of a toy aisle in a Hills discount department store and seeing the first wave of orange card Star Wars figures hanging there. I nearly walked right by them. There was really no hesitation to buy on my part, just an anxious excitement that I still feel today whenever I find new toys.

Up till that time I had bought the SW Bend-Ems, Action Masters, and MicroMachines, but had no idea that Kenner figures were on the way.

plo koon 200
07-31-2004, 05:12 PM

Can't really remember. I think I got them as a present one day but I actually never thought about them not being at the store at the time. I think I always thought that they were there.

Rocketboy
08-01-2004, 03:35 PM
I was a TRU with my brother and one of his friends and his friend knew about them and they had Lando (who was at that minute hard to find) and he told me to buy him for the hell of it. And now at least $10,000 later here I am. Some may have spent more but that's a lot of money to me.Stop trying' to pin that on me!

I found out a few months before they were released in Wizard (I don't Toyfare was published yet).

JediTricks
08-01-2004, 08:40 PM
I think it was the Froot Loops mail-away Han Stormtrooper figure, but I'm not sure.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-01-2004, 11:44 PM
I was 13 or 14 when Galoob introduced the Star Wars Micro Machines line and I have to credit my brother on this one, he bought the Hoth Echo Base Playset. I remember I had no immediate interest in the line, until Christmas rolled around, and he got more vehicle packs and playsets. Then, I slowly took over the collection until he gave up a year later and I was buying them exclusively. I had no interest in any other Star Wars line.

It wasn't until August of 99', just after the initial mad rush figure grab of the Episode 1 line that I became addicted to 3 3/4" line.

vader121
08-10-2004, 12:23 PM
I was at a mall with my ex and saw a bunch at Spencers Gifts. I bought as many as I could for $7.99 each :eek: . I then went back a few days later and bought more. And the rest is history...

El Chuxter
08-10-2004, 02:32 PM
In a dream, the ghost of Montezuma appeared to me, force-fed me bagels, and told me that I would find a lone chicken on the side of the road with a Monkey-Faced Leia stapled to his left wing.

I had no idea what "Monkey-Faced Leia" meant until I saw said chicken on the side of a lonely road somewhere near Hoboken, with an expecially ugly Leia figure stapled to his right wing. I guess the ghost of Montezuma must've been dyslexic or just got the wings mixed up.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure, I do believe that it was some magazine (maybe SW Insider or some action figure price guide). I remember that my first one I found was Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi at K-Mart, and I had no idea what a "small photo" or "long saber" meant. I also bought the TIE Fighter with him. Odd, that he wouldn't fit in it. I was so excited that SW figures were back (that TRU 4-pack wasn't even a tease, for me), that I didn't even notice their steroid poses.

Vortex
08-18-2004, 03:18 PM
I think it was the Froot Loops mail-away Han Stormtrooper figure, but I'm not sure.

That's how I started, eating the old stand and time tested breakfast of froot loops, seen the han in stormie outfit and ordered one out.

Searched high and low for a long time and finally found all the red cards cept leia at a Target in Brainerd while visiting my grandparents. After that had to hit all the comic shops to get the start of the green cards and a few months after the green cards and the fad caught on, I started finding the stuff at TRU at Target. Since then its been a bad sickness/obsession.

bigbarada
05-29-2005, 02:41 PM
In 1994 I was heavily involved in collecting the Star Trek:TNG line and found out about the figures in an issue of Action Figure News and Toy Review (either that or in an issue of Wizard, I was really into collecting comics at the time too).

For the next year, until I actually say the toys in a store in September of 1995, I kept up with their progress.

ROTJLuke
06-20-2005, 04:48 PM
xmas present...been hooked ever since...

JetsAndHeels
06-20-2005, 08:13 PM
I remember seeing the POTF2 figures at my local Wal Mart right when they first came out. Of course at the time I was collecting other toys, but just happened to stumble upon these. I had never seen any ads or tv commercials about the toys, so the surprise of seeing them there was just overwhelming. I remember it very vividly...the first group of figures I bought were the orange card versions of Ben Kenobi, Han Solo, Luke, and Vader.
From that day until now it has been non-stop collecting.

CaptainSolo1138
06-22-2005, 09:17 AM
It was 1996, IIRC. Slicker, Rocketboy and I were at Toys R Us. I picked up Lando ("Oh! He's rare!") and Boba Fett (this was back when he was still cool and mysterious). Thanks to those two, I now have three book cases full of the s**t.

Bren2d2
06-23-2005, 12:55 PM
I remember reading in Star Wars Galaxy Magazine #4 about the new POTF figures and it had a picture of what the first wave would look like. I then went to TRU later on and there they were, new Star Wars figures. The rest is, as they say, history.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-27-2005, 11:24 PM
I started working at Wal-Mart when it opened here in August of 1996, so I saw them in the store sometime after that. I usually had plenty of time to kill on lunch, so I would walk through the store, and one day I noticed the Star Wars figures there. Before I started working at Wal-Mart, I was almost down to nothing left in my savings. I think it was a few months later when I noticed the figures, so I thought that maybe I could afford to get them, but with so many that I saw on the pegs, I couldn't quite talk myself into it. I was still living with my parents, so I figured I'd get a lot of grief from Mom about spending too much money that I should be saving. It wasn't until about 10 days before Episode I that I decided to get Episode I figures. I was able to get POTF2 figures from various sources later that year.