PDA

View Full Version : Lukes...Lot's of Lukes!

stillakid
07-31-2004, 10:09 AM
Just for fun, I pulled out all the Luke's I could find and got them together for a dinner party.

I think I have them all, so for those with keener records/memories than I, let me know if I've missed one and I'll take a look.

One thing's clear, though, we need more Jedi Lukes. :rolleyes: ;)

Samuel Windu
07-31-2004, 12:50 PM
So how many Lukes?Are you sure all Lukes you have?

Ji'dai
07-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Hope you had enough Bantha steak and blue milk to feed them all ;)

Are there any differences between the Hoth Luke from the TRU exclusive Hoth 4-pack and the POTF2 Tauntaun Hoth Luke? I was thinking about getting that set for the split-belly Tauntaun.

Kyle Katarn
07-31-2004, 04:37 PM
I think that's cool having all Lukes but you're missing the 12" Lukes and the Hoth Unleashed Luke.

B'Omarr Monkey
07-31-2004, 09:02 PM
Are you missing the Luke from the Trash Compacter set? What about the dark Empire Luke?

Kidhuman
07-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Too many Lukes. Way too many Lukes.

Reefer Shark
08-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Yeah no doubt.. Way too many Lukes.

There's also the MMC Endor Luke, Shadows of the Empire Luke, and the one POTF2 deluxe skiff Luke (unles that's there and I'm just not seeing it).

That's a total of 41 Lukes. :crazed:

stillakid
08-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Are you missing the Luke from the Trash Compacter set? What about the dark Empire Luke?

Yes, I did forget them. Oops. I'll dig around maybe tomorrow when I have time and try to include them,

I think that's cool having all Lukes but you're missing the 12" Lukes and the Hoth Unleashed Luke.
Meh. :ermm: Those aren't real action figures. ;) Just sticking with the little guys for this. :)

Yeah no doubt.. Way too many Lukes.

There's also the MMC Endor Luke, Shadows of the Empire Luke, and the one POTF2 deluxe skiff Luke (unles that's there and I'm just not seeing it).

That's a total of 41 Lukes. :crazed:
What's "MMC" mean? (see my thread about abbreviations) I'll look in my Expanded Universe box to dig that Luke out (although I think all I was trying to do was figure out what movie versions of each character we have and/or don't. )

Hope you had enough Bantha steak and blue milk to feed them all ;)

Are there any differences between the Hoth Luke from the TRU exclusive Hoth 4-pack and the POTF2 Tauntaun Hoth Luke? I was thinking about getting that set for the split-belly Tauntaun.
Uh, you know, once they are liberated from their packages, I can't tell what line they're from. But I think I know which two you're talking about in this case, so I'll take a look later on tonight after work. :)

JediTricks
08-01-2004, 09:32 PM
MMC = Millennium Minted Coin. MMC Luke was a slight retooling of Endor Luke from the speeder bike set.

stillakid
08-01-2004, 11:17 PM
MMC = Millennium Minted Coin. MMC Luke was a slight retooling of Endor Luke from the speeder bike set.

Oh. Thanks. You know, I never did get that one. He looked way too much like the other BikerLuke so I figured it was pointless.

Kidhuman
08-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Seeing all those rehashes and stuff, makes me glad I am not a completist.

Dark Marble
08-02-2004, 11:08 AM
I am not a completist either...so how did I end up with most of that stuff? :confused:

stillakid
08-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Seeing all those rehashes and stuff, makes me glad I am not a completist.

I guess to be fair, I have to point out that the pictures are so small, you can't make out the sometimes subtle details between otherwise very similar figures. For instance, there are two Hoth Luke's who are pretty much exactly the same except that one has a bloody face. You can't tell that from the photos I posted here. And all those black suited ROTJ Lukes are different from one another in regard to face sculpt and/or articulation. So there are differences. But it does beg the question of why Hasbro doesn't just, ya know, do it right once and move on from there. Just looking through the collection, I think that the Luke project is the biggest indication of the problem as really most other figures have a single sculpt/version. But the heroes are in a seemingly endless cycle of being resculpted and redone with nary one of them being "perfect," whatever that means. So if you're [I}not[/I] a completist, how would you know which one to get?

bigbarada
08-02-2004, 12:51 PM
But it does beg the question of why Hasbro doesn't just, ya know, do it right once and move on from there.

Because Hasbro isn't stupid and knows that if they make one perfect Luke they will only get about $5-10 from each collector (for those who like to buy two and keep one carded).

However, if they make ten Lukes with minor difference, then they can rake in $50-100 from each collector.

If duplicate figures didn't sell, then Hasbro wouldn't keep making them.

And we're stupid enough to keep buying them all, so who is really to blame here? :stupid:

dr_evazan22
08-02-2004, 03:56 PM
I clicked on this thread because I wanted to see what type of dinner party situation you put the figs in. I was hoping for a "Last Supper" type of scene.

stillakid
08-02-2004, 06:04 PM
I clicked on this thread because I wanted to see what type of dinner party situation you put the figs in. I was hoping for a "Last Supper" type of scene.

Oh, sorry. I guess it was more of a "let's stand facing this way for the photo" kind of party. Boring. Only had blue juice to serve. Funny part was, everybody left but forgot to let Bacta Luke out. You should see how pruned up he is. :sur:

Ji'dai
08-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Having so many versions of the main characters does have some advantages for the diorama/scene builder. I can put together several different mini-scenes without having to swap out a Luke here or a Han there. I've got more than enough to go around and then some ;)

JediTricks
08-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Oh. Thanks. You know, I never did get that one. He looked way too much like the other BikerLuke so I figured it was pointless.
He can stand better, his arms are more relaxed, his hands aren't as big. I like him for the time, but he needs to be replaced now.

Honestly, Hasbro doesn't need to pull a Microsoft with these, they don't need to keep releasing intentionally-inferior ones so they can just upgrade them 6 months later. I broke the completist habit with the Saga line, before that I would buy 1 of each figure, but the better figures, especially of core characters, I'd buy a 2nd one of or maybe even more. And as a kid, by playing with the good figures I'd wear them out and need to get a replacement at the store every few months - and Kenner at that time actually made sure that replacement was on the shelves (until the end of the vintage line anyway).

Kidhuman
08-02-2004, 10:31 PM
I guess to be fair, I have to point out that the pictures are so small, you can't make out the sometimes subtle details between otherwise very similar figures. For instance, there are two Hoth Luke's who are pretty much exactly the same except that one has a bloody face. You can't tell that from the photos I posted here. And all those black suited ROTJ Lukes are different from one another in regard to face sculpt and/or articulation. So there are differences. But it does beg the question of why Hasbro doesn't just, ya know, do it right once and move on from there. Just looking through the collection, I think that the Luke project is the biggest indication of the problem as really most other figures have a single sculpt/version. But the heroes are in a seemingly endless cycle of being resculpted and redone with nary one of them being "perfect," whatever that means. So if you're not a completist, how would you know which one to get?

I go by what has changed. Take the CT Han for example. I only have 1 of him until the OTC came out. No changes were made, so I didnt need one. With Luke, I have many POTF2 Lukes, but I dont have allof them. I will not buy the OTC Bespin Luke, why? Becuase I have it on Saga card. I dont care if the paint is touched up. Its still the same figure. I do however buy STormtroopers and Clones each time there is a new one, becuase if I ever decide to build scenes I will have them in many different poses and such.

SO to sum it up, I buy the original version and look at was has been added or subtracted(in terms of sccessories.) and that is how I make a decision. Also years in between figures helps. I might have gotten the CT Han if they put him out once every two years or so, instead of a dozen times in two months:D. :beard:

stillakid
08-03-2004, 01:12 AM
He can stand better, his arms are more relaxed, his hands aren't as big. I like him for the time, but he needs to be replaced now.

Gawd, yer so superficial. It's what's inside that counts. :classic:

JediTricks
08-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Gawd, yer so superficial. It's what's inside that counts. :classic:
Inside, he's all plastic.

I know, that's a cruel thing to say about someone's personality. ;)

B'Omarr Monkey
08-04-2004, 02:27 AM
I also have every Luke (except the VOTC one which I have yet to see), and have bought them for a number of reasons, and am not feeling stupid for having them all. I think it's interesting to see the changes that the figures have gone through over the years, whether it's improvements in tooling, sculpting, whatever, or of course the opposite in some cases (Flashback Luke's face for one). At the same time, I would have preferred if back in 1998, hasbro decided to give us a deluxe Luke for $10 that came with the lightsaber, blast shield helmet, T-16 model, rifle, macrobinoculars, hat, etc. . Then if they wanted to resculpt him as a basic figure as improvemnts allowed say once every three years as a basic figure (or even the one with the sculpted on headphones) that would have been fine, but when they offer the same exact sculpt with one accessoy change, that's a bit lame.

i just wish that they'd find a sculptor that could make a Luke that looked like Mark Hamill.