PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart Boycotting Mastercard????

the_emporer
07-31-2004, 06:46 PM
Last night, after seeing a girl having trouble with her credit card, the cashier told everybody in line they were no longer accepting Mastercard Credit Cards or allowing debit cards to be processed as credit transactions. She didn't know why. I use both, so that will cause me some trouble. And I would think many others, also. Has anyone heard why this might be happening?

Kidhuman
07-31-2004, 11:27 PM
If they boycott MC then Visa can not be far behind, since they are basically the same company. They would lose a ton of money doing that. She might have been having trouble with her machine and could not accept any credit cards.

darthvyn
08-01-2004, 06:31 PM
yeah, it might have been a problem with their internet service, or with MC's servers... when i was a register jockey that would happen sometimes...

JediTricks
08-01-2004, 08:01 PM
No, I heard about this at least a month ago, it seems that MC and WM are having disagreements on how transactions should be handled - MC has been a burr under the saddle of internet businesses about this for about a year now and they're quite troublesome about it. Visa is actually worse with the e-businesses because they are far and away the more popular card and have more power (MC thrashes about but hasn't done anywhere near as much crazy stuff as Visa, though MC has been suing companies where Visa hasn't). There are a lot of charge-back problems and such, it's quite a mess. After being told that MC was going to no longer be taken at WM though, a month later they're still taking mine at 2 separate WMs in the area, so perhaps there's a miscommunication on when it's happening or something.