PDA

View Full Version : Mini Atari/Sega Game Consoles

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-01-2004, 12:36 AM
While shopping at Target yesterday, I checked out all their goodies in their remodeled toy department. As I was looking for Star Wars figures, I came across something I've seen many times before. An Atari Joystick, complete with a mini game console that features 10 classic Atari games like Pitfall, Defender, and even arcade style games like Pole Position and Galaga. It runs on 4 AA batteries and plugs in the television rather conviently. They are pretty cheap, under $20. I've seen them at Toys 'R Us and other places but never thought to buy it, just because I only would like one or two of the games.

In the same endcap, there was something I didn't see before, a mini Sega Genesis console complete with 6 games. It was $29.99 and featured the same components as the Atari system above. The games caught my eye, especially Golden Axe, (one of my two fav classic arcade games) Sonic the Hedgehog, and Altered Beast. The other three were Kid Chameleon, Dr. Robotix Mean Bean Machine (a Tetris like game) and Flicker.

So I bought it, and I am hooked. I had a Sega Genesis, but never Golden Axe nor Sonic. The only thing I wish was included were instructions for the game (especially Kid Chameleon), but after tinkering around for a bit, you could figure out most of it.

I've seen Playstation and PS2 both feature compilation discs of classic games, but this system is a bit more unique. They also had some other classic system, that I never recognized (Toshi?) that featured games that looked rather familiar. Radica, is the company name that makes these nifty little devices. Anyone else have one of these systems or have any comments about them?

Kyle Katarn
08-01-2004, 01:08 AM
I've seen them I think that they are great for a little bit of entertainment,and they are not too expensive, I only hope that they don't start releasing waves and waves of different games 'cause thats annoying.

Rocketboy
08-01-2004, 08:09 AM
That is awesome! I was just thinking that I'd like to NES games in the controller/mini system style, even if it were only 2 or 3 games in it. But the Genesis was more powerful than the NES and this one has 6 games. That is pretty cool.

JediTricks
08-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Haven't seen the Sega one yet, but I still have my first-edition Genesis from the day it came out (I got it for good grades). It CAME with Altered Beast, which was a great game but at the time got stale so fast because it was pretty much the ONLY game. ;)

They're doing a Star Wars version of that Atari controller with the old SW games on it, should be out this fall.

Exhaust Port
08-01-2004, 11:03 PM
I too still have my Sega Genesis plus adapter so I can still play my Sega Master games. I be looking for these Sega game mini-console though.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-03-2004, 11:59 AM
I found out the name of the one console that I thought was called Toshi, was actually Tachi. I was mistaken, it was sold in a seperate console, that Tachi was a different game system, when it really wasn't. I believe the company manufactures Atari Classics like Defender. It comes in an orange box and retails at $24.99.

BTW, they also have a Sponge Bob Joystick with a few Sponge Bob games and if you look carefully, you'll find them on sale, either at Wally-Marts or the Ms. Pac-Man one is one sale at Target.

JediTricks
09-04-2004, 01:59 AM
They have 2 Sponge Bob ones now, one of SB and the other of the Krusty Krab I believe, and a host of other licenses in the same vein. Remember when the Atari 2600 was out and they had all these generic games with movie & TV licenses as the theme? How did we get back to those days? :D

Ji'dai
09-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Do the controllers on these things have a plug for an AC Adapter?

Rocketboy
09-04-2004, 03:51 PM
I think they pug into the red, yellow and white AV jacks on newer tvs.

Ji'dai
09-04-2004, 06:14 PM
I think they pug into the red, yellow and white AV jacks on newer tvs.
Yeah, I know they have the AV jacks but I was talking about the power source. They run on batteries, but can you just hook an AC adapter to them and plug them into a wall socket? Seems like the batteries would run down quickly if you play for a long time.

stillakid
09-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I have one of the Atari Joystick versions of this. My biggest problem so far is that the stick isn't broken in yet and it doesn't look like it will be. What I mean is that back in the day, my brothers and I took those things for a ride. But the new one is really really stiff and I can't get my "guys" or whatever to move across the screen as quickly as I'd like (or remember).

Oh, and just batteries. No plug.

jjreason
09-04-2004, 10:36 PM
They have at least 3 different ones on sale up here, not including the SpongeBob jobbies. I've seen Atari, Intellivision and Namco - they each included a few games that I've burnt many an hour/quarter on already in my lifetime. Not a bad deal for around $25, but it stinks that batteries are required. I think I'll hold off and continue with my PC emulators for now.

As far as Genesis goes, I've still got a working one with nearly 20 games. When I need a dose of X-Men or Earthworm Jim, it's only a hook up's time away. :cool:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-04-2004, 10:36 PM
I haven't had a problem with the batteries yet. I don't really play for an extraordinarly long time, an hour or so at a time, but I've had the thing for over a month and haven't had to change batteries yet.

jjreason
09-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey LBC (love that Velvet Underground album, btw), good deal then with the long life. Did any batteries come with it, or did you have to supply your own? How many and what size?

The only other thing I'd cry about would be this: my Atari excellence never really blossomed with one of the stock joysticks. We were into good Wico models (you remember, really heavy duty ones with the white button on the top of the stick as well as on the corner of the pad, 3 interchangeable handles, etc - they rocked) by the time Atari had passed and Commodore 64 was the rage. Decathlon simply required the button at the top of the stick if you wanted to really get down and compete. :D

Rocketboy
09-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I know they have the AV jacks but I was talking about the power source. They run on batteries, but can you just hook an AC adapter to them and plug them into a wall socket? Seems like the batteries would run down quickly if you play for a long time.Oops, how did I miss the AC part? :D
As to the answer to that one...I have no idea.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey LBC (love that Velvet Underground album, btw), good deal then with the long life. Did any batteries come with it, or did you have to supply your own? How many and what size?

4 'Double A' batteries are required, they aren't provided :ermm:

I was a little young for the Atari system, but everytime, even up until the early 90's, I went to visit my Grandmother, my uncle had kept his Atari system in her house. Everynow and then we'd bust it out, and play some Burgertime, or my favorite, Pitfall!

mrmiller
01-06-2005, 02:59 AM
JAKKS, the maker of the TV games mini consoles, has acquired the rights to a Star Wars one. What could this be? Star Wars arcade? Star Wars Atari games (lets hope not)? Or maybe even the Super Star Wars series. I'd love a Atar Wars arcade, but the Super Star Wars serie would be awesome too. Who knoes, it could even be something completely new.

http://www.jakkstvgames.com/coming.html

=MATT=

mrmiller
01-06-2005, 01:16 PM
After some digging on the Jakks Press release section I found this:

"TV Games™ products are slated to be developed based on all films in the Star Wars saga – A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and the upcoming Star Wars: Episode III. " http://www.jakkstvgames.com/press/pr050604.doc

So it looks like we will get 6 games. I'm guessing they will be all new? IDK, but sounds cool anyhow.

=MATT=

El Chuxter
01-06-2005, 01:35 PM
I'd love to get those old Atari games. They were corny, but fun. C'mon, you can't tell me you didn't love the ESB game, at least?

On the more "generic" front, there's a set with two Atari paddles, so you can play 2-player Warlords! How many games are better than Warlords? There's Dr Mario and Kung Fu and that's about it! :D

Slicker
01-06-2005, 02:42 PM
My mom used to be a complete addict for Dr. Mario. She'd wait until we went to school and she'd plop down in front of the Nintendo and play it all day long. As for Kung Fu that was one of my favorite games for Nintendo closely following RC Pro Am.

El Chuxter
01-06-2005, 02:59 PM
I know many a person, myself included, who spent many an unplanned night playing Dr Mario.

Apparently, Izzy Stradlin of Guns n Roses is one of them.

evenflow
01-07-2005, 10:47 AM
I bought the atari, played food fight for an hour and then returned the system. I had my fun, but felt that the 50.00 just wasnt worth it.

Kyle Katarn
01-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I think they are cool, but it wil never be better than playing the real 2600.

JediTricks
01-07-2005, 05:10 PM
They've been sitting on that Star Wars license for 7 months now without putting anything out except a press release, I wonder if they'll ever hit shelves.

I bought my mom the Pinball Plug-n-Play game for xmas, it has 3 original pinball games and she loves it. But when she tried out the Atari and Sega Plug-n-Plays, both systems she was very familiar with at their respective times, she wasn't impressed with either.

Rocketboy
01-08-2005, 11:25 AM
They've been sitting on that Star Wars license for 7 months now without putting anything out except a press release, I wonder if they'll ever hit shelves.Yes they will.
Theforce.net (http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/JAKK_Game_Controller_88748.asp) has info and a pic of it. The bad thing is that it has 4 Episode III games and 1 OT game.
It still looks awesome.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-08-2005, 01:03 PM
I noticed on the back of the Plug & Play "World Poker Tour" Game I bought for Christmas, there is a Star Wars insignia located on the back of the box(along with the lovely Ms. Pac-Man :D ). Doesn't have a picture of it though, and I looked for it in stores, but couldn't find it.

JediTricks
01-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Ah, ok. Looks like a 4-way D-pad, 2 buttons, and a start & select... sounds like an NES controller to me.