PDA

View Full Version : What movies could Natalie be talking about?

rbaumhauer
08-01-2004, 11:25 PM
From the 8/6 Entertainment Weekly, in a piece about Zach ("Scrubs") Braff's new indie film,"Garden State", which co-stars Natalie Portman as his effervescent love interest:

"I think it's pretty obvious about me as an actress that when I'm bored, I do a really terrible job", the Star Wars princess says candidly.

Now, what movies could she be referring to, where she was so bored and did a terrible job?

stillakid
08-02-2004, 02:46 AM
From the 8/6 Entertainment Weekly, in a piece about Zach ("Scrubs") Braff's new indie film,"Garden State", which co-stars Natalie Portman as his effervescent love interest:

"I think it's pretty obvious about me as an actress that when I'm bored, I do a really terrible job", the Star Wars princess says candidly.

Now, what movies could she be referring to, where she was so bored and did a terrible job?

Let's see:

Natalie Portman resume:

Smoker, The (2004) (announced) .... Nicole Bonner
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) (post-production) .... Senator Amidala/Padmé Naberrie-Skywalker
Closer (2004/I) (post-production) .... Alice
True (2004) .... Francine
Garden State (2004) .... Sam
Cold Mountain (2003) .... Sara
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) .... Senator Padmé Amidala
... aka Attack of the Clones: The IMAX Experience (2002) (USA: IMAX version (promotional title))
... aka Star Wars II (2002) (USA: promotional abbreviation)
... aka Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones (2002) (USA: video box title)
Where the Heart Is (2000) .... Novalee Nation
Anywhere But Here (1999) .... Ann August
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) .... Queen Padmé Amidala
... aka Phantom Menace, The (1999) (USA: short title)
... aka Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace (1999) (USA: video box title)
Mars Attacks! (1996) .... Taffy Dale
Everyone Says I Love You (1996) .... Laura Dandridge
Beautiful Girls (1996) .... Marty
Developing (1995) .... Nina
Heat (1995) .... Lauren Gustafson
Léon (1994) .... Mathilda
... aka Cleaner, The (1994)
... aka Leon (1995) (UK)
... aka Professional, The (1994) (USA)

I haven't seen them all, but she was great in The Professional, great in HEAT, pretty good in Beautiful Girls. I didn't see Developing or Everyone Says I Love You. I hated Mars Attacks and don't remember her role. Her talent was wasted in TPM and AOTC. I didn't see Anywhere But Here or Where the Heart Is. I refused to see Cold Mountain. But I look forward to seeing her in upcoming projects, ROTS notwithstanding.

Rocketboy
08-02-2004, 09:10 AM
I hated Mars Attacks and don't remember her role. Her talent was wasted in TPM and AOTC. I didn't see Anywhere But Here or Where the Heart Is. I refused to see Cold Mountain. Mars Attacks was the first time I really...noticed her.
I think she's been good to great in everything I've seen her in...even Star Wars. Yeah, the performances in all the SW movies are pretty flat for all the actors, but there are a few times where she is really good.

I think her best performances so far have been in Leon and Cold Mountain (despite how small her role is).

I'm really looking forward to Garden State too.

JEDIpartner
08-02-2004, 09:51 AM
I don't think she was bored in the SW films... EVERYONE is a terrible actor in these films. :crazed:

rbaumhauer
08-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Point is, I think they were ALL bored in the PT, even worse than the OT, and it shows.

stillakid
08-02-2004, 11:32 AM
but there are a few times where she is really good.

Could you do us a favor and list those moments? Cuz I can't recall a one right now. :)

The Phantom Menace Script (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/3188/script1.html)

Attack of the Clones Script (http://showcase.netins.net/web/ssinc/starwars/AOTCScript.shtml)

Rocketboy
08-02-2004, 12:05 PM
None really comes to mind in TPM, because she's stuck in the stick in the butt Queen Amidala mode. But compare her Jake Lloyd, and her performance is Oscar worthy! :)

In AOTC, the first one that comes to mind are the deleted scenes on Naboo with her family (It's really too bad they were deleted).

stillakid
08-02-2004, 12:32 PM
None really comes to mind in TPM, because she's stuck in the stick in the butt Queen Amidala mode. But compare her Jake Lloyd, and her performance is Oscar worthy! :)

In AOTC, the first one that comes to mind are the deleted scenes on Naboo with her family (It's really too bad they were deleted).

Interesting. So she's really 0 for 20-ish so far for onscreen Star Wars performances. Anyone else?

JediTricks
08-02-2004, 09:51 PM
I thought she did alright in Ep 1, but terribly in Ep 2. I thought she was incredible in The Professional, but was generally a waste in Mars Attacks (the president's daughter, who becomes the president at the end of the film IIRC).

jjreason
08-02-2004, 10:16 PM
I really liked her in Beautiful Girls - a much better movie than I would have ever expected. Heat is one of my favorites too, but there were a few other "people of note" in that one. I wouldn't say she's made or broken too many movies for me so far, but she's been fine in everything.

stillakid
08-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Heat is one of my favorites too, but there were a few other "people of note" in that one.

un·der·state·ment ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ndr-sttmnt, ndr-stt-)
n.
A disclosure or statement that is less than complete.
Restraint or lack of emphasis in expression, as for rhetorical effect.
Restraint in artistic expression.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

understatement

\Un"der*state`ment\, n. The act of understating, or the condition of being understated; that which is understated; a statement below the truth.

[Free Trial - Merriam-Webster Unabridged.]
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

understatement

n : a statement that is restrained in ironic contrast to what might have been said [ant: exaggeration]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

;)

bigbarada
08-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Stillakid, why do you refuse to see Cold Mountain? I saw parts of it and it was okay; but Natalie's scenes were definitely my favorite.

The Professional was her breakout role and I really enjoyed that one. I also liked her in Where the Heart Is; which wasn't a bad movie but it was definitely a "chick-flick."

I actually liked Mars Attacks! for it's silliness and the fact that you couldn't take it seriously even if you tried. Natalie seemed fine in that movie, but there were other more interesting performances.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-03-2004, 01:31 PM
She was great I thought in "Were the Heart Is"

"LoooooKe, Wal-Mart gave meh five hundrit dawllars!"

It's kind of a "girlie" flick but the combo of her, Stockard Channing and Ashley Judd was pretty darned good on film.

She doesn't even seem like the same person who played in those movies....uh...what were they called again...phantom menace, attack of the clones I think...can't remember, I fell asleep whilst watching ;)

And she should NEVER do a love seen written and directed by George Lucas AGAIN! *shudders

jjreason
08-03-2004, 05:33 PM
And she should NEVER do a love seen written and directed by George Lucas AGAIN! *shudders

NO ONE should ever do a love scene written or directed by George Lucas ever again! :crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
08-03-2004, 05:47 PM
NO ONE should ever do a love scene written or directed by George Lucas ever again! :crazed:

When you're right JJR, YOU ARE RIGHT!! lol lol

El Chuxter
08-03-2004, 06:01 PM
I've never even heard of Developing. But I can add she was quite good in Everyone Says I Love You (the last really good Woody Allen flick, so far as I am aware).

I wasn't too terrible impressed by her in Heat, but I think it was more the phenomenal job done by Pacino and DeNiro (not to mention the absolutely show-stopping performances by Azaria and Rollins :crazed: ) than a lackluster performance on her part.

stillakid
08-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Stillakid, why do you refuse to see Cold Mountain?

http://www.ftac.org/html/coldmountain.html

JediTricks
08-03-2004, 09:52 PM
And that includes George Lucas!

:D

stillakid
08-03-2004, 10:28 PM
And that includes George Lucas!

:D

Bowm, chicka chicka, bowm bowm.... :beard: :sur:

jjreason
08-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Oh my God, can we actually be going there? People without defined chins simply can't get it on. I won't believe it if you tell me otherwise. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
08-04-2004, 01:19 AM
Oh my God, can we actually be going there? People without defined chins simply can't get it on. I won't believe it if you tell me otherwise. :D

Yeah, I've always wondered why he doesn't get that goiter removed. He could get baby liposuction(sp?). :) Then he wouldn't have to have the beard to define his chinless chin. Maybe it's become part of him or something. For instance, I have a third superfluous knee since about 12 years old or so and it kept getting bigger and bigger and then just a few weeks ago I went rollerblading for the first time and fell three times right on it and now it's almost gone...broke it up and my body absorbed it. No kidding! I guess I could have gotten it removed, but it became a part of me and plus it was fun to use as a discussion piece and freak people out with because it would move all around and you could grab it and it was firm yet soft. So round, so firm, so fully packed.

:crazed:

plasticfetish
08-04-2004, 06:56 AM
For instance, I have a third superfluous knee since about 12 years old or so and it kept getting bigger and bigger...Uh... whaaaa?
You had two knees on one leg? Could you bend your leg like a "U" or are we simply talking about a spare patella? (I'm all freaked out now BTW. Not about your extra bone, but about how it got "absorbed" into your body.)

I hated Mars Attacks and don't remember her role.Dude. How can you hate Mars Attacks? What about that movie isn't great? Man, just as you get cred points for not seeing Cold Mountain, you lose them for dissliking Mars Attacks. :(

stillakid
08-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Dude. How can you hate Mars Attacks? What about that movie isn't great? Man, just as you get cred points for not seeing Cold Mountain, you lose them for dissliking Mars Attacks. :(

Like this....Yaaaawwwwwwwwwnnnnn. I get that he was trying to spoof the whole invaders from space/disaster flick thing, but the endless setup of a gazillion characters never worked in the real movies and it's equally monotonous in Mars Attacks. It does have a few funny moments, but as a whole, it's a snore.

bigbarada
08-04-2004, 01:21 PM
I had heard about Cold Mountain being filmed in Romania, but I never really gave it any thought. I guess it is a problem when all of the biggest films go overseas just to save a few bucks. Gangs of New York did the same thing, IIRC.

However, if you boycott Cold Mountain, then shouldn't you also boycott ALL of the Star Wars films? The principal photography for every single one of them was in either England or Australia.

stillakid
08-04-2004, 03:31 PM
I had heard about Cold Mountain being filmed in Romania, but I never really gave it any thought. I guess it is a problem when all of the biggest films go overseas just to save a few bucks. Gangs of New York did the same thing, IIRC.

However, if you boycott Cold Mountain, then shouldn't you also boycott ALL of the Star Wars films? The principal photography for every single one of them was in either England or Australia.

Good question. Theoretically, maybe. ;) The difference is that Lucas has always shot these outside the confines of the US. His dislike for American crews/unions began sometime after American Graffiti. Anyway, because the filmmaking "factory" doesn't really have a "home" per se, this issue of runaway production is always in a gray middle ground. But essentially if we had to boil it down to some kind of definition, there are projects which benefit artistically from traveling over borders and others which are sent out just because it's cheaper. The Canada effect has been systematically decimating the US film industry for nearly a decade now. Prague, Australia, and New Zealand are also factors. It's no secret that Producers export a lot of work over borders to save upwards of 40% off the top via foreign tax incentives and just plain ol' cheaper labor. Do you really think Lucas's new Singapore branch is there because of the "artistic input" they'll get from those people? :rolleyes: Who do they think they're kidding?

Anyway, this problem in the film industry is the same one that other industries have had to deal with in the past, like the auto and textile sectors of our society. So while we can all try to make concerted efforts to "buy USA!" it grows increasingly difficult to limit your choices to only Made in the USA labels, particularly when, in the case of a film, you won't necessarily know what it is you're buying until after you've paid for the ticket.

So, the question is, are movies cheaper because of that 40% savings? No, they are increasingly more expensive. Why? Because above the line talent and executives make more and find more creative ways to skim profit off the top of a budget before a single frame of film is pushed through a camera. Seriously, Enron was small potatoes compared to the shady bookkeeping that Hollywood studios practice. The difference is that the economic damage isn't as immediately evident as it is with a public energy company. But the results are the same. The working guy gets less and less while the "suits" make more and more. So do these informal boycotts work? In the short term, not necessarily. But the internal movement against Cold Mountain did arguably hurt it's Oscar campaign and those involved with the film were shunned from industry events and screenings and such. The general public either doesn't know what's going on or doesn't care. They just think that everybody in the industry is head over heals rich because that's all they see on Entertainment Tonight. It just isn't the case.

JediTricks
08-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Um, I also disliked "Mars Attacks", and I saw it in the theater... by choice.

bigbarada
08-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Good question. Theoretically, maybe. ;) The difference is that Lucas has always shot these outside the confines of the US. His dislike for American crews/unions began sometime after American Graffiti. Anyway, because the filmmaking "factory" doesn't really have a "home" per se, this issue of runaway production is always in a gray middle ground. But essentially if we had to boil it down to some kind of definition, there are projects which benefit artistically from traveling over borders and others which are sent out just because it's cheaper. The Canada effect has been systematically decimating the US film industry for nearly a decade now. Prague, Australia, and New Zealand are also factors. It's no secret that Producers export a lot of work over borders to save upwards of 40% off the top via foreign tax incentives and just plain ol' cheaper labor. Do you really think Lucas's new Singapore branch is there because of the "artistic input" they'll get from those people? :rolleyes: Who do they think they're kidding?

Anyway, this problem in the film industry is the same one that other industries have had to deal with in the past, like the auto and textile sectors of our society. So while we can all try to make concerted efforts to "buy USA!" it grows increasingly difficult to limit your choices to only Made in the USA labels, particularly when, in the case of a film, you won't necessarily know what it is you're buying until after you've paid for the ticket.

So, the question is, are movies cheaper because of that 40% savings? No, they are increasingly more expensive. Why? Because above the line talent and executives make more and find more creative ways to skim profit off the top of a budget before a single frame of film is pushed through a camera. Seriously, Enron was small potatoes compared to the shady bookkeeping that Hollywood studios practice. The difference is that the economic damage isn't as immediately evident as it is with a public energy company. But the results are the same. The working guy gets less and less while the "suits" make more and more. So do these informal boycotts work? In the short term, not necessarily. But the internal movement against Cold Mountain did arguably hurt it's Oscar campaign and those involved with the film were shunned from industry events and screenings and such.

Ah, that makes sense. I guess the simple fact that Cold Mountain took placed in the US but wasn't even filmed in the US is a big problem. The rich find ways to make themselves richer while the poor get more destitute.:mad:

The general public either doesn't know what's going on or doesn't care. They just think that everybody in the industry is head over heals rich because that's all they see on Entertainment Tonight. It just isn't the case.

Pretty much everyone I know believes this to be true; but I doubt the Key Grip on any film is an independent billionaire or he wouldn't be a Key Grip (whatever a Key Grip happens to be).

This is also why I make it a point to avoid pirated music or movies, since the only people to suffer from the piracy is working slobs like myself.

In the case of the OT DVDs however, I'll have to track down some bootleg non-SE versions on DVD, I would buy them in a heartbeat if Lucas would make them; but he won't and I don't want to be dependent on his revisionism any longer.

plasticfetish
08-05-2004, 03:54 AM
whatever a Key Grip happens to be.
That's the guy that gets it all done. He's the chief grip. They rig platforms and lighting grids, lay track, push dollies and cranes and very often they're around to help tired set dressers move heavy furniture when needed.

They make a pretty good living BTW. They have a good union -- unlike the, umm, set dressers union.

stillakid
08-30-2004, 11:23 AM
That's the guy that gets it all done. He's the chief grip. They rig platforms and lighting grids, lay track, push dollies and cranes and very often they're around to help tired set dressers move heavy furniture when needed.

They make a pretty good living BTW. They have a good union -- unlike the, umm, set dressers union.

That's not exactly true. Sorry. The Grip Department is typically made up of 4 guys: The Key, a Dolly Grip, and two Grips. They all work in concert with the Electric and Camera Departments to properly rig lighting units and to ensure that cameras are mounted properly.

In terms of electrics, the Electricians are in charge of the units themselves and the normal light stands, but if there is a reason for any other type of mounting (like from a ceiling or anything not on the floor), the Grips will have the hardware to mount those units properly.

They also help the Camera Department in the same way. If the camera needs to be mounted in any way other than with a standard tripod (or highhat), the Grip Department will work with the Camera Assistants to get it rigged properly. This includes remote heads, high hats on a ladder, or a dolly. (Steadicam is a specialty camera item). The Dolly Grip is specifically in charge of working with the Camera Department and will take the lead in laying track, setting the camera on the dolly, and building the crane (and remote head).

As far as moving set dressing around, they usually don't do that. That's Set Dressing's job. But if there is a wild wall that needs to be unscrewed and moved, then the Grips will take care of it. Essentially, almost anything having to do with special rigging for any department will be handled by the Grip Department.

The Key Grip is simply the head of that department and, depending upon the budget level, might own all the gear being used (except the dollies/cranes). He works closely with the Gaffer (Electric Department) and the DP (Director of Photography) to coordinate his own guys. Because he's one of the four, he doesn't necessarily just sit back and point, but he does not push the dolly himself or get knee deep in a tough rig if he can help it.

plasticfetish
08-30-2004, 04:22 PM
That's not exactly true. Sorry.How is what I said not true? :ermm: You just expanded on it.

(I did mention that I worked Art department as everything from Art Director to set painter over a span of 8/9 years or so didn't I? Doing everything from video and commercial shoots, to network TV and feature film.)

I've worked on shows with more than 4 grips. I've worked on shows where the grips were also the electricians. I've worked on shows where it was simply the nice thing to do to help each other out -- doesn't mean it's the grips job to move set dressing, but sometimes it happens.

Mostly, I was simplifying my answer because nobody outside of the business really cares that much about what a key grip does.

stillakid
08-30-2004, 05:55 PM

Sorry. I was just clarifying that the KEY Grip does not lay track, push dollies or the cranes. And in my experience, the KEY Grip of all people almost never moves furniture on set no matter what budget we're talking about. I mean, unless you're referring to a no-budget student film, the Set Dressers have plenty of help (or should) and the Swing gang has already moved everything in place before the shooting crew ever sets foot on the set.

However, the KEY Grip does pitch in and help the Dolly Grip when necessary. But again, there are two other "hammers" standing there, so unless they have something else that they should be doing, it's unlikely that the Key would be down on the floor placing wedges and leveling the track or something of the sort.

But you're right. Nobody really gives a flying F what a Key Grip does so all this is superfluous anyway. ;)

plasticfetish
08-30-2004, 11:35 PM
And in my experience, the KEY Grip of all people almost never moves furniture on set no matter what budget we're talking about.Yeah, you're right about that, I was referring to Grips in general there, not so much to the Key. Though... I've been stuck out on locations plenty of times where it was just me as on-set dresser (all alone) and I've had to get one of my Grip "brothers" to lend a hand.

I mean, unless you're referring to a no-budget student film, the Set Dressers have plenty of help (or should) and the Swing gang has already moved everything in place before the shooting crew ever sets foot on the set.Yeah... that's maybe how it goes for nice big budget studio films, but I've worked plenty of smaller (5/6 million) projects, and in most cases the Art department is short handed. Not to mention, in any case, just because a Decorator, the Swing guys, Greenskeeper (or whoever) have dressed the set, doesn't mean things stay put once the shooting crew shows up. I did "on-set dresser" for years, and that pretty much involves moving things around on the fly and working closely with the director to set things for camera.

Fun job, but tough... you camera people can be a pain. (kidding.) ;)

stillakid
08-31-2004, 01:07 AM
Fun job, but tough... you camera people can be a pain. (kidding.) ;)

But don't you love it when the Operator jumps in to move stuff around for you? ;)

I see what you're saying about the location stuff. Sure, I've jumped in plenty of times when somebody is struggling or short handed. But usually our attention during setup is on our own set of problems so it's hard to break away to lend a hand. Usually when that happens it's quickly while I'm passing by somebody while I'm on my way to do whatever it is I need to be doing. Always willing to lend an IA brother a hand. :)

derek
09-03-2004, 07:29 PM

she's probably referring to the star wars films.

other than those 2, she's only really had four movies that could be considered "her own" ...those being "leon", anywhere but here", "where the heart is", and "garden state"...all of which she was good in. all the rest were really small parts.

JediTricks
09-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Didn't Liam Neeson say that after doing TPM, he felt like he never wanted to act again?

derek
09-04-2004, 02:57 AM
Didn't Liam Neeson say that after doing TPM, he felt like he never wanted to act again?

i bet he really felt that after "gunshy" came out! (a bad sandra bullock/oliver platt film)

i always thought neeson was good as qui-gon....and from what i've heard, he sought out the part.

...i've always wondered arguement what lucas used to get natalie to do these movies. based on her being really picky about what roles she takes, it had to be the idea that regardless of whatever she did, she'd be set for life as far as money was concerned. :confused:

plasticfetish
09-04-2004, 05:09 AM
...i've always wondered arguement what lucas used to get natalie to do these movies.Star Wars has become the "Love Boat" of the 21st century.

stillakid
09-04-2004, 11:34 AM

Odd statement being that he was sleepwalking through Episode I anyway. My gut feeling is that all of these actors signed up before seeing script believing (like us) that it would be a great movie based on the OT. Then came the pages and the realization of what was happening slowly hit them. Of course, maybe the CG would save the horrid story that they had to act out, but then again, I think they were all smarter than that. But by that time, the ink had dried on their contracts and the checks started coming in. No turning back now.

The real question is, now that Lucas has turned down the Frank "best screenwriter in Hollywood right now" Darabont's Indiana Jones 4 script so that he (Lucas) can do his own version, will Steven Spielberg have the balls to tell Lucas now that he's a sh*t*y writer? I mean, Weenyberg couldn't do it with TPM for their friendship, but if he lets Lucas take Indy down with the Prequel ship, they're both out of their minds. :crazed:

JediTricks
09-05-2004, 09:49 PM
i bet he really felt that after "gunshy" came out! (a bad sandra bullock/oliver platt film)Apparently not, and that's what amazes me, Liam Neeson certainly has done worse films in his career - I really disliked Darkman - but Lucas' filming process on Ep 1 apparently broke him worse than any other film.

...i've always wondered arguement what lucas used to get natalie to do these movies. based on her being really picky about what roles she takes, it had to be the idea that regardless of whatever she did, she'd be set for life as far as money was concerned. :confused:I think he sang "You'll be swell, you'll be great, gonna have the whole world on a plate! Starting here, starting now, honey everything's coming up roses..." ;) Honestly, I cannot imagine how she ended up involved with this project, she had never even seen Star Wars before she took the part.

stillakid
09-06-2004, 02:07 AM
I think he sang "You'll be swell, you'll be great, gonna have the whole world on a plate! Starting here, starting now, honey everything's coming up roses..." ;) Honestly, I cannot imagine how she ended up involved with this project, she had never even seen Star Wars before she took the part.

But it was STAR WARS!. Friggin' STAR WARS, man! Even if she hadn't seen it, her agent had and when that call came in (to all the actors), who wouldn't sh** a brick? There was a 20 year build up with the Special Editions to boot. Even I would have said yes without seeing a script. Why? Because it was FRICKIN' STAR...WARS! How could you go wrong....?

Well, like I said, nobody saw it coming. How could you? I distinctly recall hearing the rumors at the time that Frank Darabont was lined up to write the script (which we know now was TRUE, but George "I hate unions" Lucas f'd that one up out of spite) so undoubtedly everyone else in town also figured that this was bound to be just as good, if not better, than the original trilogy. How could you go wrong...?

:ermm: