PDA

View Full Version : Horrors of Hyperspace

roguematt7
08-02-2004, 02:50 PM
I may be alone on this, and I may just be ranting, but I'm fed up with StarWars.com. With the exception of the tiny sized Clone Wars cartoons that were offered a while back, there isn't a single worth-while thing to be had on that website unless you're paying the membership fee. A membership fee for Star Wars. Because let's face it, if anyone's strapped for cash, it's the people behind Star Wars. After all, all they do are indy films, right? (and I don't mean Jones). Before Hyperspace it was just silly, I thought, that Star Wars would need to put annoying ads on their website. After all, why would they need money for the website? It bugs me to no end that I go there for updates, only to find that the only article that's available to everybody is... Darth Vader Voice Changer. Granted, it's a neat toy, but it's something they're showing to everyone because they can get MORE MONEY from it. Isn't it enough that their loyal fans see the movies in the theaters multiple times? That we buy junk food just so that we can get the Star Wars-related trinket it comes with? That we spend hundreds upon thousands on their toys? Apparently that's just enough to keep their heads above water. Or maybe it's possible that someone out there is blackmailing Lucas. Maybe they have incriminating pictures of him not wearing flannel. Now they feel the need to charge for things so basic as information. When will it end? Will a future release of the movies to DVD have pay-per-view technology, forcing fans to pay each time they watch the movie at home? Or maybe a fee on their website for each article? Thanks for the space for a nice little rant.

Rocketboy
08-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Amen brother!

B'Omarr Monkey
08-02-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm with you, charging us money for something taht is essentially an involved self-promoting press release with a catalogue attached is not very ethical. It's pricey and it's a slap in the face for all of us who really are the ones responsible for the success that SW is right now. If fans hadn't bought the Thrawn trilogy of books, there would have been no special edition of the OT, and no PT, and how are the fans thanked? By being cut off from the "official" source of information unless we give them money. I feel like I already provide the SW machine plenty of money (my wife would argue too much money). I haven't given in to Hyperspace yet, and doubt I will. I've been pretty spoiler free for ROTS, and this way I'm sure to remain that way. Granted I'd like some exclusive figures, but if it's one a year, then I'm better off buying one from ebay. What will Hyperspace offer us that's worth paying for once ROTS is in theatres?

Will a future release of the movies to DVD have pay-per-view technology, forcing fans to pay each time they watch the movie at home? Or maybe a fee on their website for each article? Thanks for the space for a nice little rant.

Unfortunately DVDs may be going that way. About a year ago, a compnay developed DVDs which would break down after about 48 hours from being activated. This was developed primarily so reviewers could watch a movie without worry that it would make its way from their hands to others. Of course, Disney is the company most interested in this technology, because then they can release biodegradable movies that constantly need to be repurchased. Even more so than Hyperspace, Disney's greed makes me sick to my stomach.

Bacta Beast
08-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Here! Here!

JediTricks
08-02-2004, 09:20 PM
I totally agree, the SW.com website is there to sell us more product, why it needed banner ads and now a subscription service to sell us Episode III and such is totally confusing. I'm really bothered by it, this change seems disloyal to the fans who visit every day just to learn more about the SW films they want to buy tickets to go see or buy merchandise from.

stillakid
08-02-2004, 09:24 PM
I totally agree, the SW.com website is there to sell us more product, why it needed banner ads and now a subscription service to sell us Episode III and such is totally confusing. I'm really bothered by it, this change seems disloyal to the fans who visit every day just to learn more about the SW films they want to buy tickets to go see or buy merchandise from.

Yeah, it sucks, yet it's brilliant at the same time. Create a product, then sell the advertising it takes to sell the product. F'ing brilliant! I wish I had thought of it.

JediTricks
08-02-2004, 09:27 PM
From a short-term business standpoint, I see what you mean, but in the long run I think it may be offputting enough to mess it up.

BTW, I moved this thread to General Discussions because it seemed like it wasn't about a specific collectible and would fit better in Gen Disc.

Rocketboy
08-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Also, the things that Hyperspace offers/offered are offered for FREE on other movie sites. Stuff like webcams, chats, behind the scenes stuff, ect ect ect.
And now there is "bonus content" to the Insider? What next, reduce it to 4 pages or an online only magazine?

I'm pretty sure Lucas isn't strapped for cash.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again and again) -
Hyperspace is a slap in the face to Star Wars fans.

Exhaust Port
08-02-2004, 09:45 PM
From a short-term business standpoint, I see what you mean, but in the long run I think it may be offputting enough to mess it up.
Well SW is a short term product so that is all they can hope for, get as much cash as quickly as possible before the interest dries up. Once the last SW movie hits the theaters the end will be ever so close for the SW interest. Long term only the true die-hard fans will remain and those numbers can only get smaller, plus die-hard fans can't really support the SW universe alone.

LucasArts will look to get as much revenue off this franchise as they can. Once that happens and the interest dies down it wouldn't suprise me if all this content that fans are paying for becomes available in the future for free or a greatly marked down price. Package it in a big fancy book and sell it. I would buy that as I would come away with a physical reference rather than a bunch of electronic images or text on my computer.

Kidhuman
08-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Hyperspace can go suck a monkeys nipple

Deoxyribonucleic
08-02-2004, 11:18 PM
I rarely visit that site any more. It used to be my homepage that my browsers would open to (ehh emm....now it's SSG...been that for over two years now) but I don't like to visit it anymore unless I'm linked to it from here or another website, so I changed that. It's difficult to navigate too because there's so much crap on it.

Whateva I say, I'm not missing a damned thing. :shrug:

stillakid
08-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Hyperspace can go suck a monkeys nipple

Now that's something I'd pay to see. :sur:

Exhaust Port
08-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Go to Mexico, you can find most anything there (from what I've been told I swear). ;)